Strawberry Frosting Shots!

Behold.

A tall tower of strawberry mousse:

strawberry frosting shots

It’s a strawberry skyscraper!

strawberry frosting shots

I do not have a green thumb.

No really, I actually managed to kill a cactus once. And most of the fruits or vegetables I plant either end up dead or devoured by some greedy lawn creatures. (Darn squirrels!)

So this year I was excited—and surprised—when the strawberries I’d planted actually grew. With some of the freshly-picked berries, I made strawberry-lemonade pie. (If I don’t put the recipe in my cookbook, I’ll be sure to post it on the blog later this summer.)

I also made multiple batches of my favorite Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes.

Then the rest of the strawberries were transformed into the strawberry mousse skyscrapers pictured above. (Of course, I ate some berries plain, straight off the plant. Didn’t fancy leaving any for those pesky squirrels. I’m still mad about the cantaloupe they usurped from me last year!)

coconut whipped cream

Strawberry Frosting Shots

(or strawberry mousse)

• 1 13.5oz can full-fat coconut milk (Perhaps you can sub 1 cup soaked, drained cashews or macadamia nuts if allergic to coconut? If anyone tries, please report back!)
  • 2-4 strawberries (more will yield a thinner mousse)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp powdered sugar
  • tiny pinch salt

Open the coconut milk, and if it isn’t yet as thick as in the above photo, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. (Don’t shake the can before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen Organic, or use Coconut Cream instead, for a no-fail option.) Once thick, transfer just the thick part to a bowl (leave out the watery bit at the bottom of the can, for a thicker mousse) and blend with all other ingredients. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

I’m not including nutrition facts for this recipe, as not all cans will yield the same amount of thick “cream” (and serving size will also vary greatly, depending on how you use the cream), so it’d be impossible to calculate. However, the recipe is 100% cholesterol-free, and it’s also sugar-free when made with stevia. I know there’s a lot of confusion about saturated fat in coconut, and whether or not it’s healthy. If you’re interested, a reader once left me a very insightful comment explaining it all much better than I could:

To read her comments about fat in coconut, click here.

strawberry girl

I still can’t believe I planted these!!

Other Frosting Shot Flavors:

chocolate frosting shots     vanilla frosting shots

Chocolate Frosting Shots                 Vanilla Frosting Shots

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Verena says:

Today is my birthday and this recipe might become a new favorite of mine! Thank you so much for sll this great recipes! Btw…. I got a Mr. magic! Im so happy now!

1. Verena says:

*all these / second line ^^ sorry 😉

1. Happy Birthday Verena! Hope you have a fun day.

And Katie – Opposites attract, you like chocolate, they like strawberry — it’s basic survival instinct!!

xoxo
        Cheri

1. Happy birthday, Verona!

And lol, Cheri, that’s my theory about why my sister likes fruity desserts over chocolate. Subconsciously, maybe it was a defense mechanism… because I took all the chocolate :).

2. I think there is a time and place for both chocolate and vanilla… depends on my mood!

3. Anna Banana says:

I wonder if you can make the strawberry mousse like your chocolate mousse recipe – with tofu. Any thoughts?

1. I bet you could! You’d probably need some sort of fat for it to taste good and mask the tofu taste. Maybe with some coconut oil?

1. Anna Banana says:

Good idea! I will let you know how it turns out for sure.

2. Ann says:

Anna
        I’ve made a tofu pudding (starting with Katie’s recipe but sugar free) and put strawberries in it–and it was yummy. I’ve tried throwing all of my favs together, so cocoa or carob with the berries and cream etc and I think any of these work, just adjust to your taste!
        Ann

1. Jen E says:

I think I will try the tofu too, coconut oil and coconut milk have way too much fat in it for me & it’s not good for you unfortunately.
          Even the mayo clinic doesn’t suggest using it so I’m scared of it lol. Plus I’m trying to lose weight 🙂

1. Joy says:

Jen, I would do a little more research and not go by what the Mayo Clinic says. They are in the business of healing sick people, they aren’t going to tell you something is healthy. Coconut oil has actually been shown to help Alzheimer’s patients. Just do some Googling and you will find lots of true facts.

2. Jen E says:

Um sorry we will just have to agree to disagree I go where the science is and actual studies. Dr Greger posted studies in those videos BTW. The Mayo Clinic is a research hospital and they are a not for profit. They are one of the best hospitals in the US. They are nothing to snub your nose at!
            Also check this out about Alzheimers and coconut oil

3. Jen E says:

That’s hilarious. The Mayo Clinic is non-profit so there is no financial motivation for them to keep any people sick. The term “in the business of healing sick people” suggests that you believe doctors are only in it for the money and would run out of business if everyone was healthy. Even the health insurance companies would rather everyone were healthy. Then they could charge insurance premiums and not have to give anything back.

There’s no credible evidence for coconut oil curing or even improving the condition of Alzheimer’s patients. That’s a claim made by a single doctor whose husband has the disease and she is trying to sell a book about it.

4. Chuck says:

Why is my comment shown with someone else’s name?

5. Brittany says:

Wow, people will do ANYTHING to start drama on the internet, won’t they?

Your recipe looks AMAZINGLY yummy, and I’m going to make it sometime this week for my boyfriend and I! So it has a lot of fat, who cares? Take the splurge and eat something yummy!

6. Nancy says:

It’s called ‘a mistake’ or ‘an error’ Chuck:-) Right off I noticed the icon wasn’t Jens, therefore, neither would the comment be hers. Good thing u spoke up Chuckie or we’d all b in the dark. (Oops, there’s one of those ‘mistakes’) lol . . Hope u have a sense of humor.
            By the way, enjoyed ur comment.

7. Millicent says:

Jen–I just lost weight and re-vamped my diet using Grace and Strength. I have learned that coconut milk is good for you, in moderation. It’s yummy, too!

8. terry says:

i know this is an old post but i have to say tofu is the worst for you. especially if you have an autoimmune disease. it has plant estrogens, is extremely gmo, and is just flat out bad. i’d way rather eat coconut and all its parts. now that it’s 2+ years later, i hope you’ve changed your mind. if now, soy got me, and it will get you too. sorry. and i can’t wait to find some sweet, locally grown strawberries and try this recipe!

2. Saraquill says:

I made strawberry mouse with a tofu base, going from the recipe in the book “Cute Yummy Time.” To me it tasted exactly like a strawberry milkshake.

4. Jasmin says:

My favourite is vanilla all the way… or maybe that’s just because it’s just a neutral flavour and I can add anything to it. Like vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries. I tried your chocolate frosting shots once and they were so yummy! I just bought come canned coconut milk and blended it with pineapple and made popsicles so I don’t have any more coconut milk left. I guess this just means another grocery trip for me! 🙂

5. Kristen says:

Wow, I’m going to make all three flavours and do layered frosting shots. YUMMO!

1. Samantha says:

You have just inspired me.

6. teabagginit says:

i’m a simple girl, so i always go with vanilla … with cookie dough! 🙂

7. Juliana says:

Vanilla!!! Wow, great recipe. You’re so talented!

8. Holy Yum, Yums!!!! I am making this!!! I can not wait for your cookbook to come out! You make the best healthy goodies!!!!!!!!!!!

9. kira says:

Hey Katie — I was wondering if the frosting shots (of any flavor) can be used as actual frosting on top of other recipes (cupcakes, cakes, etc), or if they are better on their own? Like, will they act like frosting when spread on things?

Thanks!

1. tiffany says:

I’ve seen people use this as actual frosting, though they say to frost it before serving whatever it is, though someone else frosted it like normal and just kept the stuff in a fridge and said it worked fine.

10. This looks so good! I haven’t used coconut milk yet. This might be my first recipe where I use it as strawberry season just started for us here 🙂

11. Mariel says:

haha i just tried to do something like this this morning with the coconut milk can and i came down stairs and looked and my mom had transferred it so it was a clumpy mess. she didn’t know better! very dissapointing morning.

12. I love chocolate, but I love vanilla ice cream way more than chocolate. And strawberry desserts are always delicious, as well. Don’t make me choose! 😉

13. Bridgit says:

Going to the store tonight after work to pick up full fat coconut milk! I just got my flavored liquid stevia yesterday…I am totally making the strawberry “whip” but using my chocolate stevia!!! That’s a good Saturday/Sunday morning breakfast, right?? (okay I’ll make pancakes too)

14. Michelle says:

We LOVED the chocolate frosting shots so I am sure this will be great too. I will have to say that I have had better luck with non organic Thai Kitchen coconut milk. It has been thicker than the organic. Thanks for all the great recipes!

15. You mean we have to CHOSE between the 3?? No. Not possible. That’s why some marvelous wonderful person invented Neopolitan ice cream. 😀 I honestly don’t think I have a favorite between the 3 over all. Now, depending on the DAY, I can end up wanting chocolate more…but I think that’s hormonal! lol

16. Nicole says:

Well, wouldn’t you know, we just bought a can of coconut milk last night at our (only) neighborhood organic market! Something strawberry-flavored sounds like the perfect thing now that the warm weather is returning to D.C. (we had a break with a nice, cool week)!

Also, just wanted to comment to tell you how adorable you look in your photo. :o)

1. Aw thanks, Nicole! 🙂

We had a cool week too… I seriously doubt it’s going to last, though :-?.

17. Possibly vanilla but I am a huge chocolate fan too. I love strawberry but tend to prefer strawberries fresh than strawberry flavoured things. I am so impressed you grow your own strawberries! I have no green thumb either and can’t imagine being able to keep strawberries alive!

18. Andrea says:

These look delicious! And I’m going strawberry picking tomorrow, woooo! And by the way, I think that’s the prettiest picture of you I’ve ever seen!

1. Aw thank you!!
      Have fun strawberry picking! 🙂

19. Lauren says:

I’m definitely a vanilla girl….but then I love to pour chocolate all over it! 😉

20. Samantha says:

I just got a can of coconut milk last night to make the chocolate version! However, I have strawberries ready and waiting.

I laughed about the Neapolitan ice cream comment because that was one of the ones that caused lots of problems in our house when I was growing up. No one wanted the strawberry especially!

Sometimes I REALLY crave vanilla strangely, but overall, it will always be chocolate. 🙂