Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Strawberry Frosting Shots!

A tall tower of strawberry mousse:

strawberry frosting shots

It’s a strawberry skyscraper!

strawberry frosting shots

I do not have a green thumb.

No really, I actually managed to kill a cactus once. And most of the fruits or vegetables I plant either end up dead or devoured by some greedy lawn creatures. (Darn squirrels!)

So this year I was excited—and surprised—when the strawberries I’d planted actually grew. With some of the freshly-picked berries, I made strawberry-lemonade pie. (If I don’t put the recipe in my cookbook, I’ll be sure to post it on the blog later this summer.)

I also made multiple batches of my favorite Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes.

Then the rest of the strawberries were transformed into the strawberry mousse skyscrapers pictured above. (Of course, I ate some berries plain, straight off the plant. Didn’t fancy leaving any for those pesky squirrels. I’m still mad about the cantaloupe they usurped from me last year!)

coconut whipped cream

Strawberry Frosting Shots

(or strawberry mousse)

• 1 13.5oz can full-fat coconut milk (Perhaps you can sub 1 cup soaked, drained cashews or macadamia nuts if allergic to coconut? If anyone tries, please report back!)
  • 2-4 strawberries (more will yield a thinner mousse)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp powdered sugar
  • tiny pinch salt

Open the coconut milk, and if it isn’t yet as thick as in the above photo, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. (Don’t shake the can before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen Organic, or use Coconut Cream instead, for a no-fail option.) Once thick, transfer just the thick part to a bowl (leave out the watery bit at the bottom of the can, for a thicker mousse) and blend with all other ingredients. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

I’m not including nutrition facts for this recipe, as not all cans will yield the same amount of thick “cream” (and serving size will also vary greatly, depending on how you use the cream), so it’d be impossible to calculate. However, the recipe is 100% cholesterol-free, and it’s also sugar-free when made with stevia. I know there’s a lot of confusion about saturated fat in coconut, and whether or not it’s healthy. If you’re interested, a reader once left me a very insightful comment explaining it all much better than I could:

To read her comments about fat in coconut, click here.

strawberry girl

I still can’t believe I planted these!!

Other Frosting Shot Flavors:

chocolate frosting shots     vanilla frosting shots

Chocolate Frosting Shots                 Vanilla Frosting Shots

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Verena says:

Today is my birthday and this recipe might become a new favorite of mine! Thank you so much for sll this great recipes! Btw…. I got a Mr. magic! Im so happy now!

1. Verena says:

*all these / second line ^^ sorry 😉

1. Happy Birthday Verena! Hope you have a fun day.

And Katie – Opposites attract, you like chocolate, they like strawberry — it’s basic survival instinct!!

1. Happy birthday, Verona!

And lol, Cheri, that’s my theory about why my sister likes fruity desserts over chocolate. Subconsciously, maybe it was a defense mechanism… because I took all the chocolate :).

2. I think there is a time and place for both chocolate and vanilla… depends on my mood!

3. Anna Banana says:

I wonder if you can make the strawberry mousse like your chocolate mousse recipe – with tofu. Any thoughts?

1. I bet you could! You’d probably need some sort of fat for it to taste good and mask the tofu taste. Maybe with some coconut oil?

1. Anna Banana says:

Good idea! I will let you know how it turns out for sure.

2. Ann says:

I’ve made a tofu pudding (starting with Katie’s recipe but sugar free) and put strawberries in it–and it was yummy. I’ve tried throwing all of my favs together, so cocoa or carob with the berries and cream etc and I think any of these work, just adjust to your taste!

1. Jen E says:

I think I will try the tofu too, coconut oil and coconut milk have way too much fat in it for me & it’s not good for you unfortunately.

Even the mayo clinic doesn’t suggest using it so I’m scared of it lol. Plus I’m trying to lose weight :)

1. Joy says:

Jen, I would do a little more research and not go by what the Mayo Clinic says. They are in the business of healing sick people, they aren’t going to tell you something is healthy. Coconut oil has actually been shown to help Alzheimer’s patients. Just do some Googling and you will find lots of true facts.

2. Jen E says:

Um sorry we will just have to agree to disagree I go where the science is and actual studies. Dr Greger posted studies in those videos BTW. The Mayo Clinic is a research hospital and they are a not for profit. They are one of the best hospitals in the US. They are nothing to snub your nose at!
            Also check this out about Alzheimers and coconut oil

3. Jen E says:

That’s hilarious. The Mayo Clinic is non-profit so there is no financial motivation for them to keep any people sick. The term “in the business of healing sick people” suggests that you believe doctors are only in it for the money and would run out of business if everyone was healthy. Even the health insurance companies would rather everyone were healthy. Then they could charge insurance premiums and not have to give anything back.

There’s no credible evidence for coconut oil curing or even improving the condition of Alzheimer’s patients. That’s a claim made by a single doctor whose husband has the disease and she is trying to sell a book about it.

4. Chuck says:

Why is my comment shown with someone else’s name?

5. Brittany says:

Wow, people will do ANYTHING to start drama on the internet, won’t they?

Your recipe looks AMAZINGLY yummy, and I’m going to make it sometime this week for my boyfriend and I! So it has a lot of fat, who cares? Take the splurge and eat something yummy!

6. Nancy says:

It’s called ‘a mistake’ or ‘an error’ Chuck:-) Right off I noticed the icon wasn’t Jens, therefore, neither would the comment be hers. Good thing u spoke up Chuckie or we’d all b in the dark. (Oops, there’s one of those ‘mistakes’) lol . . Hope u have a sense of humor.
            By the way, enjoyed ur comment.

7. Millicent says:

Jen–I just lost weight and re-vamped my diet using Grace and Strength. I have learned that coconut milk is good for you, in moderation. It’s yummy, too!

8. terry says:

i know this is an old post but i have to say tofu is the worst for you. especially if you have an autoimmune disease. it has plant estrogens, is extremely gmo, and is just flat out bad. i’d way rather eat coconut and all its parts. now that it’s 2+ years later, i hope you’ve changed your mind. if now, soy got me, and it will get you too. sorry. and i can’t wait to find some sweet, locally grown strawberries and try this recipe!

2. Saraquill says:

I made strawberry mouse with a tofu base, going from the recipe in the book “Cute Yummy Time.” To me it tasted exactly like a strawberry milkshake.

4. Jasmin says:

My favourite is vanilla all the way… or maybe that’s just because it’s just a neutral flavour and I can add anything to it. Like vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries. I tried your chocolate frosting shots once and they were so yummy! I just bought come canned coconut milk and blended it with pineapple and made popsicles so I don’t have any more coconut milk left. I guess this just means another grocery trip for me! :)

5. Kristen says:

Wow, I’m going to make all three flavours and do layered frosting shots. YUMMO!

1. Samantha says:

You have just inspired me.

6. teabagginit says:

i’m a simple girl, so i always go with vanilla … with cookie dough! :)

7. Juliana says:

Vanilla!!! Wow, great recipe. You’re so talented!

8. Holy Yum, Yums!!!! I am making this!!! I can not wait for your cookbook to come out! You make the best healthy goodies!!!!!!!!!!!

9. kira says:

Hey Katie — I was wondering if the frosting shots (of any flavor) can be used as actual frosting on top of other recipes (cupcakes, cakes, etc), or if they are better on their own? Like, will they act like frosting when spread on things?

1. tiffany says:

I’ve seen people use this as actual frosting, though they say to frost it before serving whatever it is, though someone else frosted it like normal and just kept the stuff in a fridge and said it worked fine.

10. April says:

Chocolate! I can’t stand vanilla and strawberry flavored ice cream for some reason, especially the artificial strawberry :(

Also, strawberries are one of the hardest plants to grow!! Those are some impressive strawberries! :)

11. This looks so good! I haven’t used coconut milk yet. This might be my first recipe where I use it as strawberry season just started for us here :)

12. Mariel says:

haha i just tried to do something like this this morning with the coconut milk can and i came down stairs and looked and my mom had transferred it so it was a clumpy mess. she didn’t know better! very dissapointing morning.

13. Looks wonderful!
    Can’t wait to try this for a decadent cake frosting! 😀

14. I love chocolate, but I love vanilla ice cream way more than chocolate. And strawberry desserts are always delicious, as well. Don’t make me choose! 😉

15. Bridgit says:

Going to the store tonight after work to pick up full fat coconut milk! I just got my flavored liquid stevia yesterday…I am totally making the strawberry “whip” but using my chocolate stevia!!! That’s a good Saturday/Sunday morning breakfast, right?? (okay I’ll make pancakes too)

16. Michelle says:

We LOVED the chocolate frosting shots so I am sure this will be great too. I will have to say that I have had better luck with non organic Thai Kitchen coconut milk. It has been thicker than the organic. Thanks for all the great recipes!

17. You mean we have to CHOSE between the 3?? No. Not possible. That’s why some marvelous wonderful person invented Neopolitan ice cream. 😀 I honestly don’t think I have a favorite between the 3 over all. Now, depending on the DAY, I can end up wanting chocolate more…but I think that’s hormonal! lol

18. Nicole says:

Well, wouldn’t you know, we just bought a can of coconut milk last night at our (only) neighborhood organic market! Something strawberry-flavored sounds like the perfect thing now that the warm weather is returning to D.C. (we had a break with a nice, cool week)!

Also, just wanted to comment to tell you how adorable you look in your photo. :o)

1. Aw thanks, Nicole! :)

We had a cool week too… I seriously doubt it’s going to last, though :-?.

19. Possibly vanilla but I am a huge chocolate fan too. I love strawberry but tend to prefer strawberries fresh than strawberry flavoured things. I am so impressed you grow your own strawberries! I have no green thumb either and can’t imagine being able to keep strawberries alive!

20. Andrea says:

These look delicious! And I’m going strawberry picking tomorrow, woooo! And by the way, I think that’s the prettiest picture of you I’ve ever seen!

1. Aw thank you!!
      Have fun strawberry picking! :)

21. CHOCOLATE ALWAYS!!! Nom noms!

Thank you for referencing the reader comment re: good sat fats vs. bad ones. I’m only recently learning about that and her biological explanation really helps my brain absorb this info.

Does anyone else notice that current research is exposing the man-made stuff to be bad for your body, while the natural counterpart turns out to be beneficial? Not just for fats, but salt too. You all probably know this already. I grew up being told that salt increases your blood pressure. Turns out that is only table salt. Sea salt, on the other hand, actually regulates BP and encourages better blood circulation!

1. Samantha says:

Hi Heather –

I can tell you that sometimes when I feel terrible, run down and dizzy it is often because my salt intake is probably too low.

1. Katrina says:

Just an FYI, salt only affects a (relatively) small percentage of people in that way… and it’s people who already have high blood pressure. For most people (I think its 80-90%), salt will not have an effect on your blood pressure. Table salt or sea salt!

1. Brie B. says:

Well, strictly speaking, salt will affect your blood pressure, no matter what (as your intake of sodium and potassium and other minerals directly affects your fluid balance, as well as sparking various chemical signals in your cells), but you’d have to eat way, way more than you’d even want to to put yourself into dangerous territory. Speaking as someone who sometimes has *low* blood pressure, sometimes I have to eat unpalatably salty things to not feel woozy (especially if I want to donate blood– just a big meal won’t do it; it has to be a big, salty meal!).

1. Laura Miller says:

I have the same problem. I have been diagnosed with a form of “dysautonomia” which gives me blood pressure issues. The #1 suggestion by all the doctors I’ve seen has been to eat a lot of salt in combination with a lot of water. It increases blood volume.

2. My grandmother actually set off the BP monitor once because her blood proessure was too low. Turns out it’s because the hospital (where she was staying for an unrelated problem) was feeding her their standard low-salt diet, and she (and my mom and I) has low bp to begin with and actually needs more salt than the RDA, not less. People are not made in a black-and-white mold, and we all need different things! Sometimes society (doctors, the media, teachers, etc.) forgets that. 😕

3. Alanna says:

That is good to know — I used to donate blood regularly but stopped because the last few times I’ve come very close to passing out after (not fun). My blood pressure is low to start with, but I always figured it was dehydration that caused me trouble. Next time I’ll try the salty big meal with extra water!

22. Lauren says:

I’m definitely a vanilla girl….but then I love to pour chocolate all over it! 😉

23. Definitely a chocolate girl FOR LIFE!

24. Samantha says:

I just got a can of coconut milk last night to make the chocolate version! However, I have strawberries ready and waiting.

I laughed about the Neapolitan ice cream comment because that was one of the ones that caused lots of problems in our house when I was growing up. No one wanted the strawberry especially!

Sometimes I REALLY crave vanilla strangely, but overall, it will always be chocolate. :)

25. Suzie says:

I am definitely with you on the chocolate, it’y my fave! I love love coconut as well, so this frosting is a perfect combination and love that you used fresh strawberries– I want to grow my own!

26. Carol L says:

I have just one word for today’s post. DROOOOOOLLLLLLL!!! *wink*

27. JEnny says:

28. Sunnie says:

Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry . . . tough question. For me, it depends:

Chocolate is my favorite frosting flavor – though normally I’m not very fond of frosting, I do love a dark, dark, DARK chocolate frosting, if it’s good. :)

Vanilla is my favorite flavor when it comes to ice cream. It reminds me of my childhood, and it’s so yummy and simple.

Strawberry would probably be my favorite milkshake flavor – chocolate here seems a bit too rich, and vanilla could get a little too sweet!

So . . . I’m a neapolitan girl. :)

29. Jaime says:

How simple was THIS?! I had a can in the fridge and some strawberries and made this in less than 5 minutes for the kids (ok and maybe I had a couple bites – lol). DELICIOUS!

30. Dolly says:

I use the leftover watery bit from the coconut milk in smoothies. Delicious!

31. where’s my spoon?! that looks so rich and creamy and fabulous!! and those strawberries! looks at you you little gardener:) i’m a vanilla girl all the way:) have a great weekend!

32. Rachel says:

Is the coconut milk thing basically the same as using coconut cream?

1. I think so… But I’ve actually not been able to find coconut cream anywhere, so I don’t even know what it looks like or what the texture is. It’s been on my grocery list for months!

1. Jen E says:

Katie try down where the sell soda water & mixed drink isle I’ve seen it down there.

1. Alanna says:

I was looking for coconut cream the other day, too, but all I could find was a super-sweetened version meant for pina coladas and such. :/ It wasn’t anywhere near as thick as the coconut milk in the picture, but that may just be due to all the extra stuff they had added to it because I’m pretty sure they are supposed to be the same thing. It was in the drink mixers section at my grocery store, but I wonder if the Asian supermarket might have the real deal?

1. Alanna says:

Here we go:

So the top (solid) part of coconut milk is coconut cream, whereas the stuff I found at the store (thinner and sweetened) is cream of coconut. That’s confusing!

2. Alanna says:

I love the idea, but I’m scared of that humongous cleaver, lol.

33. Katie, you should layer the flavors! You have all the flavors for Neapolitan! I would prefer either a chocolate/strawberry combo or a strawberry/vanilla combo. I like all three flavors alone, but for some reason strawberry tastes amazing when you pair it with another flavor such as chocolate or vanilla…or how about coconut or even lime?? I am going to make your super creamy strawberry shake today!

34. That’s my favorite brand of coconut milk! These look absolutely delicious. I usually like chocolate and vanilla the best, but this strawberry treat looks amazing!

35. Susan Jacobs says:

My favorite is vanilla when it comes to shakes but I love chocolate everything…lol Congrats on the strawberries…I can’t grow anything either but am planning to try again soon. I have read that if you plant marigolds around your garden it will keep those small animals out…worth a try. Love your blog and thanks for sharing on pinterest.

36. Valentina says:

I like strawberries with chocolate 😛 And vanilla icecream 😉
    Your strawberries are huuuuge! I have everything in my garden… well, I hope so.. Right now just red currants and a few strawberries, and lots of cherries, but I’m waiting for apricots, apple, more strawberries and mostly raspberries… I love raspberries <3

37. I know it sounds so boring, but vanilla is probably my fave! At least for ice cream… for mousse, I don’t think I could pick!
    I am SO impressed that you grew those suckers! I have a total black thumb. I have one houseplant that has lived for about 6 years now, and I look at it with disbelief every single day!

38. I love that you made a strawberry recipe! Strawberry has always been my favorite flavor growing up, especially for ice cream and milk shakes!

39. Cindy says:

That picture of you is just stunning!!!

40. JoeTheGroovy says:

What variety of strawberry is that? They look great!

1. Honestly, I’m not sure. I bought the plants from a local nursery… and had a lot of gardening help from my roommate! 😉

41. Lauren says:

As I’m looking at the recipe, I’m wondering….could you make this and put it in the ice cream maker for strawberry ice cream? It seems like it would work out. :)

1. I bet you could! If you try it, please please report back! :)

42. Susan says:

Im a chocolate girl!… I have no strawberries right now but i have some raspberries in the fridge, along with a can of coconut milk waiting for me to fix it up! Thinking of doing raspberry chocolate frosting shot! Your strawberries are beautiful, did you grow from seeds? How long did they take to grow? I have a plant that has sprouted, super excited to see it grow! Thx for the recipe.

1. I actually bought plants from a local nursery. I figured I had a much better chance that way… at least the plants were already grown! 😉

43. BroccoliHut says:

Most of the time, I’m a chocolate girl–all the way. However, if it’s a dish in which assorted toppings are involved (e.g., fro-yo or ice cream), I go for the vanilla :)

44. Moni Meals says:

This is fantastic Katie. So you grew those strawberries? That is great if so!
    I will always be chocolate first, vanilla second, and strawberry last. However, I would make this in a heartbeat. 😉

45. katie says:

Katie your a genius! I have just recently discovered your blog and im so excited to try some of your recipes! I wanted to ask, when you use oil in your recipes what kind do you typically use?

1. Depends on the recipe. For savory recipes, I often use olive oil. For baking, it’s almost always virgin coconut oil :).

1. Oh, and I love sesame oil for flavoring. But I so rarely remember to use it :-?.

46. Kate says:

Chocolate!!! But only if it’s dark. None of that white chocolate or milk chocolate for me. Yuck, tastes like a lie lol.

47. L says:

all three together, Neapolitan frosting shots…yes! I think I am going to try a pistachio one too, just for fun :)

48. Nichole says:

Just tried these… They are amazing! I used tofu for mine and it turned out great… Also, you have hooked my brother to this recipe. He liked it so much because of the picture of who made. Haha

1. Nichole says:

*who made it

49. whitney says:

How do you get your coconut milk to thicken up. Ive tried this a few times, opening the can and just leaving it in the fridge overnight. Ive tried leaving it in for almost three days once and still liquid! I mean, there’s nothing wrong with coconut milk on its own, but these look delicious!

1. whitney says:

PS: i did use full fat milk…

50. Connie says:

Another recipe I can’t wait to try. My grocery list grows every time I read one of your posts! LOL I love all three flavors. It all depends on my mood and the weather. I tend to lean towards strawberry in summer. Vanilla is my favorite when I don’t feel well. Chocolate is good anytime, of course! Thanks Katie!

51. Laury says:

This is the EXACT recipe I used for my daughters first birthday party cupcakes! Not even kidding! I used date sugar, just a teaspoon and a tiny pinch of salt. Great minds…even though yours is consistently better LOL

52. Cookie says:

I have to ask … what does one do with coconut milk that doesn’t thicken? Can you tell if it is thick before you open the can? I live in a very rural area and don’t have many options as to which brand of coconut milk I’ll buy IF I can find it. Thanks.

And congratulations on the gorgeous strawberries.

1. tiffany says:

there are plenty of recipes for coconut milk…katie has “milkshake” recipes that say to use it if you want a really creamy shake, you could do that if you end up with a can that wont thicken…you could also make an icecream recipe with it, or popsicles. I made popsicles with coconut milk and cocoa with a touch of sugar, it tasted like a macaroon. the cocoa really brought out the coconut flavour

53. This looks so luscious! The salt brings out the sweet taste so you don’t need to add as much sweetener. It works! I do it all the time in cooking.

54. Brittany says:

Hello Katie, i just discovered your blog yesterday and have been scouring its contents since! Since going Paleo a few months ago it’s refreshing to find a blog that has such amazing dessert recipes that are so healthy AND easy! And it’s nice to know that you can enjoy the sweeter things in life without feeling guilty :) (if there’s one thing I miss, it’s having dessert after dinner). I can’t wait to try a tonne of them out in the holidays, especially the Luna Bars, they look AMAZING!
    Thanks a tonne for creating such an amazing blog, I will definitely be checking up regularly to see what new recipes you have in store :)

55. Alanna says:

I’m boring, lol… I almost aways go vanilla! Although like another poster, it’s mostly so I can go crazy with lots of toppngs, haha. I keep meaning to buy full-fat coconut milk and try the cool whip / frosting shots, but all I have on hand now is reduced fat, darn it!

I have a total brown thumb, too! And Katie, you look lovely in that picture… Congrats on the strawberries!

56. Caro says:

Hi Katie!
    I’m sure you got this question before. Which brand of stevia do you use? I am living in Germany and we don’t have as many brand options as you have in the States. Also, when do you use liquid and when powdered stevia? I would like to have a recommendation and maybe order it online.

57. Nikki says:

This looks amazing. Much love from germany,

58. Danielle says:
    This article explains why it might not be as bad as was thought, but still suggests using it in moderation. The science doesn’t really seem to exist either way, as what you’d really have to wait for is studies with the health effects ( most of these articles seem to be trying to predict the effects by pointing to one or two components of the coconut).

59. Jen says:

Hi Katie! Can’t wait to try these later. I have a question, though… I’ve tried several times to make the chocolate shots, and it seems like the coconut milk NEVER gets thick enough, at least never as thick as the can in your picture. I’m using Thai Kitchen full-fat, so it’s not the brand. I leave it in the fridge overnight but it just doesn’t seem to get there. Have I just gotten multiple bad cans, or do you think there’s something else I’m missing?

One other random question: What WordPress theme do you use? I like the layout.

Thanks so much! You’re one of the people who has made going vegan a total blast! I have more fun with food and dessert now than I ever did as an omnivore. :) I really appreciate everything you do!

1. Jen says:

Update: This time it seemed to work! Yummy. Idea for leftover, watery coconut milk: Frozen banana, a few strawberries, stevia, 1/4 cup coconut milk, and almond milk. Delicious straw-banana shake! :)

60. Chloe says:

Oooh, why not put these frosting shots on top of your strawberry shortcake pancakes? Yum, I am going to try that…although I do prefer chocolate! Or I could just put your chocolate frosting shot on your brownie batter pancakes! The possibilities are endless!:D Thanks again, Katie!

61. Susan says:

To those of you with the problem of your coconut milk not getting thick….you need to “listen” to the dan before you buy it……pick the can up in the store and just shake gently…basically just turn it upside dow and back a couple of times…you shouldnt hear any liquid moving in the can, you know hat sloshing sound…the can should sound solid, this means the inside has already set up. Then after chilling, i always just turn the can over and open the bottom and just pour off the liquid, then your just left with the solid. Hope this helps!

1. Jen says:

Thanks so much, Susan! That was helpful. :)

62. Susan says:

And by dan i mean can lol

63. I think, vanilla? I love chocolate, but I think I left my chocoholism in my childhood days. (more for you, right?!). Anyway, this looks wonderful! And gorgeous photo with the strawbs :)

64. Alanna says:

Oh my gosh, I just had a yummy thought — I’ll bet the strawberry frosting/mousse would be awesome in place of the whipped cream in this recipe:

Made with CCK’s homemade graham crackers and hot chocolate butter, that sounds delicious (and healthier than the original)!

65. Rebekah says:

You look absolutely radiant in this photo!

I am not usually a fan of frosting, but I do love coconut milk and mousse so I bet I would love this!

66. Caz says:

For anyone in the UK I used Waitrose own full-fat coconut milk and it worked just fine – thanks as ever Katie!

67. I just found your blog today from a picture of this amazing dessert on Pinterest. Can’t wait to try it!! Your recipes look amazing. Bookmarked your site for sure. <3

68. Millicent says:

This is totally worth dragging the kids to the store to get canned coconut milk!!!! Looks so yummy!!!!!

69. This was a flop for me. I was so excited because we just went strawberry picking and I saved some berries after freezing and making jam. I even had a can of Thai organic coconut milk (exactly the same one you show!) just waiting to make it. The coconut milk looked super thick when I took it out but when I blended it with the strawberries I got soup. It was a very expensive flop. :( I didn’t much care for the taste anyway though — it was very strongly coconut flavored. Maybe chocolate would be a better fit for me. I’m reluctant to try again and waste the ingredients though…

1. Alanna says:

That’s a bummer. Were the berries still frozen, by chance? If so, maybe you ended up with extra moisture from that?

1. Nope, they were fresh strawberries picked the day before.

70. Patricia says:

Looks & sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try this!

71. Em says:

I made this with real vanilla seeds and also whizzed up some forest fruits in it. Then used it to sandwich together a Victoria sponge cake – amazing!

72. Cara says:

I loved this! So yummy! Thank you, thank you! I had a stomach ache…long story and it eased up so much. :)

73. MsDerious says:

Every can I buy steadfastly refuses to layer, like homogenized cows milk. Perhaps the stuff in the UK is different somehow. Any UK folks successfully made this and what brand did you use? Thanks

74. Anna says:

First of all I looooove your blog! it’s amazing. Thanks! 😀
    Now the actual question:
    Does heat affect the hold of the frosting? will it spill out when it acquires room temp.?
    thanks again!

1. It stays thick for awhile, but coconut milk is perishable, so it should be frosted at the last minute and kept in the fridge :).

75. Kristine says:

I wanted to make the strawberry frosting, but wanted an intense strawberry flavor. I ground up freeze dried strawberries and used them instead of fresh. It was wonderful! The Colorado ended up being a beautiful pink and the flavor was lovely. Topped with a fresh strawberry and it was pure perfection. Thanks for your delicious and creative recipes.

76. Bearspirit says:

I would suggest a different brand than Thai coconut milk. While checking labels recently, I noticed very few brands are preservative free! Great recipes, nutella is another poor choice though, check the ingredients! Thanks for the inspiration.

1. I’m confused… not sure where you see I’ve used Nutella in this recipe. I’ma vegan and therefore don’t ever use Nutella ;).

77. Kimberly says:

First off, I would like to say your strawberry mousse pictures are stunning & you are absolutely beautiful. You could be a model! I was wondering if you had a substitution for the coconut milk in a can since I do not use anything out of a can anymore. How would you get the desired thickness/consistency, avocado maybe?

1. Thank you!! I was thinking, maybe soaked cashews, drained and pureed?

78. Angela says:

Katie, do we use a blender or a beater?

79. Mia says:

I know I’m a bit late to the party here, but it seems no one has pointed it out yet – the link for “vanilla frosting shots” goes to a “vegan cool whip” recipe which looks awesome but doesn’t contain any vanilla. I guess you could add vanilla to it easily enough, but there’s no mention of that so not sure if that was the intention or you just made an error in copy/pasting? Anyway, just thought you should know. Definitely going to try the recipe, vanilla or no! :)

80. Sunni says:

I’m curious about your strawberries did you plant seeds or did you buy a plant?.

81. Jess says:

OMG! I was just told about your site today, and drool!!! How are you not famous with treats like these in today’s calorie conscious world?
    I am making these asap! I think I have just died and gone to Heaven btw!
    And congrats on the Strawberries! I kill plants too but if you get Aloe Vera (which you can eat) and put it in a really big pot, and French Peppermint, they are really hardy and don’t need a lot of care or attention. For a black thumb myself, I have managed to make these grow.

1. Aw :).
      And thanks for the tip! I will have to look for those.

82. Mirzel says:

Hey, this looks delicious and I want to make it for Christmas (with frozen raspberries instead of the fresh strawberries), but I wonder how many cans of coconut I need to make? It looks like it might be one recipe for one person?

1. It really depends on the can of coconut milk. Different cans will have different amounts of cream, and there’s no way to tell until you open the can (unfortunately). But it should serve more than one person regardless.

83. Anononon says:

Canned coconut milk in the fridge will mix with pretty much anything and whip up to something delicious, carbo, cocoa powder,nut butters, pureed strawberries, you name it and add sweetener (liquid stevia, whatever)…pretty simple really but dairy-free and I guess people need a reminder that it’s out there. Great reminder…I will have to remember to buy some carob to try…

84. Kate says:

This actually sounds a lot like unfrozen ice cream….. Hmmmm….

1. I think it would work really well in an ice-cream maker!

85. Mel @ says:

Heres a helpful idea for this summer – if you paint small rocks to look like strawberries, apparently squirrels won’t munch on your fruits because they assume it’s just rocks! Thanks for the recipe!

86. Carina says:

I have just found this site and whipped up some of your “chocolate frosting” shots…and oh my goodness, let me just say – I’m SO glad this site exists! You are a life saver for creating sugar free treats that actually taste yummy!

Anytime I eat sugar I feel icky…but alas, I’m SUCH a sweet tooth. So these recipes solve the problem. Thank you so much!!

87. Natasha says:

Your recipe sounds wonderful! I was just wondering if i could actually use it as Frosting – does it spread well and hold it’s consistency at room temperature? I’d love to make this for my sons 4th Birthday – he’s allergic to almost everything.

88. Rachael says:

Simple question, really. What do you use to blend these together? I made the chocolate shots and they rocked, but cocoa powder works fabulously with the handheld mixer. The mixer doesn’t stand a chance with strawberries.

89. Adria says:

I want to make this frosting as a healthier option for my son’s 1st birthday cake. When you say “blend” in the instructions do you mean with a blender or food processor or just by hand/whisk? Thank you!!

1. I’d use a blender or food processor because otherwise the strawberries will be chunky.

90. Mel says:

It doesn’t say in the recipe what to do with the strawberries before adding it to the coconut milk. Do you blend? Please add steps for those of us who are cooking-challenged.

91. Vania Vilaça says:

Thank you for sharing.

92. Thanks for commenting on my blog earlier this week! I am excited to share your strawberry frosting shots today.
    And keep up the great work!

93. Anonymous says:

Can I ask can u really taste the coconut when this is ready? I love the look of this but I really don’t like coconut very much. So is there alot of taste of coconut? Jo

94. londa says:

Is there a way to tell if you have a “bad” can of coconut milk? I bought one to try this recipe and it definitely was not as thick as the picture. Or do you just buy one and hope it’s good? :)

95. Alexandra says:

Do you think that i could cover the ultimate chocolate fudge pie with this strawberry frosting? :)

96. Carolyn says:

If you are like me and allergic to strawberries, what can I sub for them? Do you know what amount of blueberries or raspberries would work?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Raspberries might be weird because of the seeds. Why not try the chocolate flavor?

97. Laufey Jonsdottir says:

hello, can I use regular sugar instead of the powdered sugar? or anything else?

98. Mama Lee says:

I just discovered your blog & I am in LOVE… you are the healthy & GF dessert QUEEN in my eyes!! I can’t wait to try some of your recipes, nor can my kids wait for me to try them. One thing, I was trying to find your vanilla frosting shot recipe, but it goes to homemade whipped cream… which I also want to try, but right now I have my eye on frosting :).

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

They are actually the same thing 😉

1. Mama Lee says:

Great! TY for the response… I will give the frosting shots a try… all of them because I do NOT discriminate against frosting :)!!

99. Vicky says:

Hi –

I love that you are posting healthier options for cake and frosting/mousse! I tried out a recipe of yours and attempted to substitute in blueberries for strawberries.

Since I couldn’t keep the coconut milk in the house (keeping it open in the fridge was too tempting for me and my roommate), I tried the coconut cream option based on the comment “or use Coconut Cream instead, for a no-fail option”.

The cake turned out delightfully, but the coconut cream was not what I expected and it was a soupy mess. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is a good substitute and just wanted to let you know.

Thanks! Keep posting great things!

100. Cheryl says:

How many shot glasses does this make?

101. carma says:

is it possible to get a “printer friendly ” version of this?

102. Cathy says:

I wonder if I could leave out the strawberries and use it as a cupcake filling???

103. bonnie says:

Katie, is this suppose to be blended in a regular blender? I chilled the coconut cream and then put everything in my blender and it did not turn that pretty pink color like yours and it was very soupy! What should I do?

1. claire says:

I put all the ingredients in my vitamix and mine was soupy too.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It just sounds like you got a not-so-good can of coconut milk that wasn’t thick enough.

104. Carole Rosenthal says:

Love your website. Will definitely make the strawberry & chocolate mousse recipes. They seem easy and healthy! Had lap band surgery over a year ago, and I am searching for new, relatively band friendly recipes (running out of ideas). Yours are perfect. Now, may be I can wean myself off of frozen yogurt!
    Thanks so much!

105. Josephine says:

Thanks for the recipe looks great? However, does coconut milk have a very strong coconut taste that would conflict with other flavors?

106. lauralee says:

I have not tried these yet but I LOVE the chocolate frosting shots! I was wondering if you had heard of natural, alcohol-free strawberry flavor…I have one made by Frontier. I was thinking of adding a bit to this recipe.

107. Heather says:

Great recipes!! Do all these frosting recipes work well on cake? Does this one work well with frozen strawberries?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, and yes! Frost immediately before serving the cake, not earlier.

108. kerry says:

Can this frosting be made in my vitamix?

109. Sarah says:

Hello! Just wondering if I could make this using the coconut milk you find in the long life section, in a carton? Like this stuff
    I have a whole carton that I need to use up! :)

110. deborah says:

can I use this as frosting??

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Absolutely! But frost just before serving, not ahead of time.

111. Ruth says:

I love crispy cookies but when I use flour that isn’t the regular white flour, they are always soft and fall apart. Any good recipes for crispy cookies?

112. Nancy says:

When preparing the Strawberry Mousse instructions say “blend” ingredients, does that mean using an electric blender or stir by hand? Also, do I use large sized strawberries, medium or smaller?
    Thanks 4ur help:)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You need to use a blender to blend the strawberries. I would use small ones.

113. Dawn says:

Hi, Is powdered sugar the same as icing sugar?

114. jodine says:

when you say blend, do you mean in a blender?