Healthy Cookie Dough Ice Cream

Healthy cookie dough ice cream? That means you can eat twice as much, right?

Right???!!!

cookie dough ice cream

Is there anyone in this world who doesn’t love cookie dough ice cream? Melty vanilla ice cream with bite-sized pieces of soft, unbaked cookie dough packed into each creamy scoop. What’s not to love?!

Healthy Cookie Dough Ice Cream!

At least, that’s what I was thinking yesterday as I devoured this cone.

And then went back for seconds.

cookie dough ice cream

Cookie Dough Ice Cream (healthy!)

Healthy Cookie Dough Ice Cream

(can be gluten-free)

Recipe found here: Healthy Ice Cream Recipes.

• 1 1/2 cups creamer (such as Silk) or canned full-fat coconut milk (see nutrition link below, for notes on a lower-calorie substitution)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice (or omit and increase the creamer or coconut milk to 2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut brown sugar (Agave or pure maple syrup will also work. I haven’t tried xylitol in this recipe.) (40g)
  • 1 packet nunaturals stevia, or 1 extra tbsp of the sugar or agave listed above
  • 1/8 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda (This is for flavor and can be omitted if desired)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients (except chips) in a dish. Transfer to your ice cream maker. (I have a Cuisinart, and it took 15 minutes to turn the liquid into ice cream.) Mix in chips. Eat now, or freeze for 20 minutes if a firmer texture is desired. (Note: homemade ice cream has its best texture if eaten the same day it’s made.) If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, freeze mixture and then re-blend in a Vita-mix or Blend-tec. Or you can use a different ice cream recipe as the base and still make the following cookie dough recipe:

For the cookie dough:

(Alternatively to the recipe below, you could also use my recipe for Cookie Dough Truffles.)

• 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup oat flour (70g) (You can probably sub a different flour; I’ve just not tried it and therefore can’t vouch for the results.)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda (for flavor)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut brown sugar (You can use xylitol; you’ll just lose that extra “cookie dough” flavor from the brown sugar) (20g)
  • 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp xylitol or white sugar (21g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp milk of choice, or more if needed (40g)
  • optional: 1 tbsp vegan butter or oil (vegetable or coconut oil) (14g)

Mix your dry ingredients very well, then add in wet and mix. Squish into a giant ball, then break off pieces and stir into the already-made ice cream base.

View Nutritional Info

healthy cookie dough ice cream

Are there any foods everyone seems to love that you just can’t stand?

Pumpkin? Coconut? Chia seeds? For me, it’s avocado. I keep trying it in different ways—as guacamole, as chocolate mousse, pureed into soup, or even in muffins. No luck, which is sad because I live in a place that boasts some of the best guacamole in the world. I also can’t stand cilantro, but I read that there’s actually a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap to certain people.

Link of the Day:

raw cookie dough bites

Raw Cookie Dough Bites

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Jill says:

Ooooooh, yes!! I can’t wait to make this. Yum!

2. I’m with you on the avocado – everyone seems to love it and you see it in smoothies, puddings, cakes, salads, sandwiches…. but I have never been a fan.

I’m also not a fish eater and most people find that odd too.

1. Katie & Ali, your comments about avocado make me so sad! But alas, I won’t take it personal :). Avocados are such a great food–for me, I love the creaminess. Sprinkle it with a little salt & put it on just about anything.

I’m not a picky eater, but there are a few foods I really can’t stand–clams, flan, meat (never liked the idea of chewing on flesh), egg drop soup, slimy noodles, seaweed in most forms. I’m vegan now so I don’t have to worry about eating most of these things on this list, fortunately.

2. Carol says:

I too have tried avocado’s and don’t understand the appeal other than the obvious health benefits. But then I happened to stumble on this recipe and it has, at least in part, changed my opinion of avocado’s. I think you will be in for pleasant surprise. My family loves them too and none of us are fond of avocado’s.

You can get by with less sugar than the recipe calls for, but I wouldn’t go more than 1/4 cup at a time. Also, you can easily substitute coconut sugar, date sugar, etc… for any or all of the sugar, but it will affect the taste a bit, though still good. I have made them with just the cinnamon as well as all the spices, but don’t necessarily feel like you taste the cardamom especially if the nutmeg is fresher. Good no matter how you bake them. One other thing I always do is put a little oil on a piece of saran wrap and press the cookies down before I bake them since the avocado doesn’t allow the cookies to spread out as much as the butter would.

As I was looking for this recipe, I noticed that there are other recipes out there that call only for avocado (no butter). I haven’t tried them, but I think if you don’t like avocado’s, this would be a good place to start. Hope you give them a try.

1. Carol – thanks so much for the recipe idea. I’ll definitely be looking into that. I often worry that some really great nutrients are missing from my diet because there are many foods and food groups I won’t touch (fish, seafood, limited greens) and the one try with avocado wasn’t impressive. But I like the idea of blending it into something so it’s not green and not detectable but I’m still getting the nutritional value. Thank you!!

3. Megan says:

Coconut! Can’t stand the taste, can’t stand the texture. Makes your site difficult sometimes! 🙂

Luckily, it’s also pretty easy to get around it in recipes most of the time.

1. Jen E says:

I hear you on that I can’t stand it either esp the texture. Even if I have coconut milk in something my head tells me there are coconut bits in it lol. I can deal with refined coconut though just not virgin.

4. I love this idea! Cookie dough ice cream was my favorite as a kid.

Everyone seems to love baked potatoes… I cannot stand any sort of white potato. Weird, I know. But I love the sweet potatoes!

1. tiffany says:

have you ever tried blue potatoes? i’ve only seen them in packs with red potatoes around here but i know people can get just blue ones elsewhere. they dont taste the same as regular ones and are rather good.

1. no… are they sweeter/less starchy?

2. Sarah says:

I thought I was the only one who hates white potatoes and LOVES sweet potatoes! White potatoes don’t taste like anything, just whatever (usually unhealthy) stuff you load them up with.

1. Agreed! And their texture isn’t even as good!

1. tiffany says:

they have a slightly sweet taste…not the same as sweet potatoes though. Im not really sure how much starch they have but they dont seem to sit as heavy as normal ones do.

5. lauren kelly says:

This sounds amazing!! My kids would love this, thanks for sharing 🙂

6. Suzie says:

I have to say cookie dough ice cream is my favorite! This looks delicious if only I had an ice cream maker :/ I am the same about avocado, eat it here and there… but still not quite convinced, but love cilantro, interesting about the gene though.

7. Angela says:

Yess!! Another Avocado hater! I loathe the stuff, any which way I can’t stand it. I also hate brussel sprouts & bacon, I know this is a vegan blog so meat is a given, but bacon just smells gross!! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

8. I have been trying to figure out how to make a good raw cookie dough for ice cream, thanks for a healthier option, as always!

9. eRiN says:

I’m curious as to why the cookie dough bits need baking soda, since it’s only getting frozen into ice cream … ?

1. Cathy says:

I don’t want to speak for Katie, but on some of her other cookie dough recipes she says to add it for taste. So it tastes more like legit cookie dough. Maybe that’s I?

2. tiffany says:

it’s for the taste…baking soda adds a bit of a taste to cookie dough and cake batters so you see it in stuff like cake batter milkshakes too.

1. eRiN says:

Whoa, that’s so weird – I never thought baking soda added any flavor! I thought it had a super-scientific function in baked goods … wow, learn something new every day!

1. Becky says:

In fact, forever I assumed it was the Cream of Tartar that gives Snickerdoodles their “punch” (tart/tartar?). But I read it’s the baking soda that gives it the punch and the cream of tartar that helps the cookies rise in the baking.

10. Samantha says:

Eggplant. I try and I try. It is amazing how much I can’t stand it.

Lovely recipe! I have been eating a form of your ice cream pretty much nightly right now.

1. I’m not a fan of eggplant either. I don’t like the texture and it seems rather tasteless. But if you really want to find a reason to like it, try eggplant chips. I baked eggplant slices smothered with olive oil and pureed basil–they turned out great! You just have to get them to be crunchy.

11. I’m really can’t stand cilantro!! It’s not that it tastes like soap to me, I just don’t like it. lol I’m actually not surprised that you don’t like avocado. It tends to have a very mild flavor – and if I had to guess, you are probably what is known as a non-taster…which is why you don’t care if something is as sweet as what other people like. My husband (who is a non-taster according to testing done in high school biology class) thinks the avocado has NO taste. lol It’s just slimy to him. He says he’ll leave it to those of us who can taste it. 😀

12. Danielle says:

Love cookie dough ice cream! Do you know of any brands of chocolate chips that stay soft in the freezer? It seems like all the ones I buy become like little rocks and then I can’t taste the chocolate in them 🙁

1. Alysha says:

if you buy melting wafers or melting chocolate which isn’t as high in cocoa content they will stay much softer in the freezer. I’m in Canada and I get them at Bulk Barn. You could also take also make softer chocolate chips by melting dark chocolate and adding a little bit of coconut milk and firm it in the fridge. Then just before adding it to the ice cream, break it up into pieces.

13. The only thing I’m pretty against food wise is coconut. Coconut flavoring I’m okay with but actually shredded coconut on things (especially desserts!) makes me queasy!

14. I don’t know you, but I love you! 🙂 I am making this today!! I can not wait!! Oddly enough I just made mini cookie dough cookies, which will go perfect in the ice cream!!!

15. Kristen says:

I absolutely detest walnuts. I like every other type of nut but cannot stand the taste of walnuts, I don’t like them in anything, I’ve even thought of going the “I’m allergic” route! I don’t understand the dislike of coconut though I love it, it’s a close second to chocolate 🙂

16. Sarah says:

So I am babysitting tomorrow night and bringing my new ice cream maker and the kids asked for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I was searching everywhere for a healthy version and what do you know? You posted it this morning! You are seriously a mind reader!!!!!

17. Stella says:

Oh my god, so many avocado haters?!! I love them, just ate a whole avocado without anything else, haha.
    I hate mushrooms of any kind and mashed potatoes (it’s a texture thing, I like potatoes in general). As a kid I was the most fastidious eater, but thankfully I’ve gotten better over time 🙂

1. Rune says:

Yes, but that’s because mushrooms are awful on every conceivable level. *shudder*

18. I’ve heard that same thing about cilantro! But I absolutely love it. Fortunately, my husband loves it, too, because I use it a lot in my cooking!

19. Teresa says:

This looks amazing!

I can’t think of any foods that I really hate that everyone else loves. There are certainly a few foods I don’t like, but they don’t seem to be popular ones. My big issues tend to be with slimy or gelled textures. Hmm, are olives popular? I don’t care for those at all. They have such a strong flavor.

I’m very much with you on the cilantro. It tastes very strongly of detergent to me. Even just a tiny amount makes a dish inedible.

I’ll take your share of avocados though. Love them in salads, sandwiches, and even a soup or two.

20. I have the cilantro gene too!!!! People look at me like I’m crazy. I always have to ask about it in restaurants. I can’t even stand the smell of the fresh herb. Here’s a tip I’ve learned though…if you douse it with lemon juice it will neutralize the flavor to at least a tolerable level. I do this with salsa if I really want to have some. Also, if it’s pureed…like really pureed and in something acidic, I can stand it. It’s really about the oils in the leaf for me at least. Crunching into a cilantro leaf will make me choke.

But yay!!!!! Cookie dough ice cream!

1. Maria says:

Really? So lemon can cover that hideous smell/taste? I have been having the same problem with cilantro since I remember myself! I only found out about that gene-thing 3 years ago! Everytime I was eating something that had even a hint of cilantro, was like biting on a soap and when I was telling people, they looked at me like I was an alien! At the beginning I thought that maybe the dishes hadn’t been rinsed well or whatever but then figured it out…
      Thanks for the tip… From now on, I will be carrying lemons everywhere I go eheheh (I live in a country where cilantro is like a national herb!!! IT’S FREAKING EVERYWHERE! 🙁 )

1. Don’t get me wrong…lemon won’t cover the taste completely. But it does the smell. At least so that it’s not offensive. I found this out accidentally when making a tagine. And thank god I did!