Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chia Pudding

Creamy, dreamy chia pudding!

chia pudding

This quick and easy chia pudding recipe is an absolutely fantastic source of fiber, protein, iron, and calcium. It also happens to be completely delicious!!

Superfood Chia Pudding

Many years ago, after visiting an amusement park, I got it into my head that I needed my mother to buy me an invisible dog. If you’ve never heard of an invisible dog, it is basically just a leash and a collar that you walk around holding as if there were a dog attached. At the park, these collars were selling for around $25; so naturally you’d agree my mother was being unreasonable when she refused to buy me one, yes?

No? Not so much?

Instead she bought me a “grow your own” chia dog, explaining they were much more interactive than a make-believe companion you couldn’t even see. (Clearly she didn’t know about my imaginary friend who ate cookie dough.) I’ll concede that the chia pet dog was indeed quite interesting. Although… years later I did then feel slightly odd upon realizing you could eat the seeds that had once sprouted me a puppy. 😕

chia seed pudding

This chia seed pudding is a great beginner recipe if you’re new to chia seeds. You just throw all the ingredients together then sit back and wait. No fancy gadgets, and no baking required!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk of choice OR [Cashew Cream | http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/17/how-to-make-cashew-cream/]
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
  • stevia or sugar of choice, to taste
  • dash salt
  • Feel free to customize this basic recipe with any add-ins you desire

Instructions

Chia Pudding Recipe: Whisk together the milk and chia seeds in a container. Cover, then refrigerate overnight. The next day, stir in all other ingredients. If desired, you can blend for a smoother consistency… but I quite like the texture of leaving the seeds whole. Makes 1-2 servings.

*[View Chia Pudding Nutrition Facts | http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chia-pudding-calories-nutrition-facts/]*

chia pudding

Questions of the Day:

Have you ever tried chia pudding? Do you have any favorite recipes that call for chia seeds? Link of the Day:

pancakes

16 Healthy Pancake Recipes for Breakfast

1. This sounds sooooo good!! I love that cashew cream!

2. Jessica says:

I don’t have any vanilla bean paste at home but have everything else can I leave it out or is there a sub?

1. Emily J. says:

I don’t have vanilla bean paste, is there a substitute for it? This looks delicious, Katie! Can’t wait to try it!

1. Amanda says:

You can just use vanilla extract

2. Emily J. says:

Thank you, Amanda! Will definitely try that. =)

3. I might try using less in that case… Also the flavor will be different, but of course it will still “work.”

3. EVA says:

I’ve heard about the magical grow spell that chia can cast. A little too expensive for the amount I’d probably end up using it….

I can TOTALLY relate to this story. I can’t believe some of the ridiculous stuff I’d beg my mom for and for actually disliking her because of those reasons. Momma knows best, people! I also had a Chia Pet, the dinosaur one. I had an obsession with dinosaurs as a kid. I also had an obsession with the dinosaur eggs oatmeal, which is one item I would beg my mom to buy that was completely reasonable.

1. Melissa Clymer says:

Check Sam’s Club. I bought a big container 2# for about $12 and they are organic.

4. Lisa B says:

Haha I wanted that ‘dog’ too. I think my parents just thought it was dumb and didn’t even bother with a substitute! I think I’ll try this…looks yummy! By the way the 2nd pic is amazing!

1. EVA says:

I whole-heartingly agree, I keep scrolling up to that second picture! I’m not even big on raspberries, yet my mouth is salivating!

5. Amanda says:

How come you stir in the other ingredients the next day? Does that make a different consistency than if you added the vanilla, stevia and salt when you were mixing it up the first time? I am going to make some tonight!

1. Amanda says:

Thanks! I tried it this way (stirring in the next day) and it turned out great!! I’m really glad I saw your method because other recipes haven’t mentioned to stir it after it sets, so I’ve always just eaten it as is. It’s always been kind of flat and not at all like a pudding texture. I never thought to stir it up because I guess I thought it might separate again and be even less like pudding. But this forced me to stir it all up the next day and I saw that stirring it after it sets does the exact opposite of what I thought it would do. It made it nice and fluffy! Thanks so much Katie!!!! :)

6. Were do you get vanilla bean paste?

xo Elizabeth

1. Grocery stores, near the vanilla extract and spices.

7. C says:

I love chia seed pudding! I mix the dry chia seeds with cacao powder, a little powdered stevia, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Then I add the milk and whisk it. Put it in the fridge and let thicken, whisking a few more times as needed. Mmmmm!

8. Mmmm, this sounds good! Can you use Stevia Vanilla Creme drops instead of the vanilla bean, or even just half a capful of vanilla extract?
    I’m intrigued to see what this tastes like, and might have a go at it! I reckon it’ll go well with some fresh mango too, yum! Does the mixture thicken a lot overnight? x

9. I love chia pudding and layering it with fruit and granola…mmmm!

10. I love chia pudding!! Especially because it’s so quick and easy to make. I always find myself using lots of pineapple in my puddings. I think I need to go wild and crazy and add some berries sometime :)

11. terezka says:

Hello Katie, reading my mind as usual. I love Chia seed pudding at this one cafe in NYC they put mushed banana mango deliciousness on top! It’s awesome. xoxo

12. Karen TP says:

My recent chia pudding obsession is:

For two servings:
    1 smashed banana
    4 T chia seeds
    1 cup chocolate almond milk

Mix well, leave in the fridge overnight. I like to top mine with strawberries or raspberries. We’ve had this for dessert almost every night for a week!

13. I’ll admit I’ve never tried chia, but this sounds like it could make a good, fast breakfast that can be eaten cold.

14. Christine says:

This post made me giggle because I have been obsessed with chia pudding lately. I’m actually eating my newest creation and this popped up in my email. 1c unsweetened almond milk, 3T chia seeds, juice and zest of 1 lemon and stevia to taste. Blend on high in vitamix and let sit in fridge overnight. Sometimes I’m not in the mood for the texture of chia, and this makes such a creamy pudding.

15. Bianca says:

I love recipe that can be easily adapted to suit one’s cravings! One question, though: can I substitute chia seeds with grounded flax? I don’t have chia seeds where I live, unfortunately. :( Thanks!

1. Elise M says:

This is a little late of a reply. I had an idea though. If you substituted flax seed you might want to heat up the milk till it’s hot (not boiling). Then maybe it would work. :)

16. Love the story about the invisible dog and the chia dog LOL Here, we have garden cress hedgehogs instead.
    So far, I’ve only made chia chocolate pudding, but I already planned on trying it with vanilla and fruit. You got me here, I’m right off to throw some seeds and milk into a container. Yum.
    Your photos with the raspberries are awesome, too!

17. Emma of Zimt says:

I love chia seed pudding! And now I am craving raspberries more than ever… yum. Hopefully will find my chia seeds soon so I can make this- we moved again yesterday and they are nowhere to be found.

(PS- I bet a chocolate variation of this would be fantastic, too- raspberries & chocolate. Amazing! Or PB chocolate…)

18. Samantha says:

I LOVE chia pudding! It’s so great that you can play around with chia pudding recipes, and make them ‘your own’ so easily. My favourite at the moment is choco-chia pudding, which I also add protein powder too, and sometimes a dash of peanut butter.

I have chia everyday for breakfast, and sometimes dessert. I find it keeps me full for ages and my hair and nails have grown so long and strong since using chia consistently.

Your photography is beautiful Katie!

19. Ahh this looks so good! I have been trying to perfect my chia pudding recipe for a while now, and I love that you don’t use agave or banana or anything– this sounds nice and light. And also, so funny but somehow I wound up on your mailing list twice so I get double emails every time you post! (I’m not complaining! Double the reminders of yummy foods I want to make.) Happy Monday! xo

20. This looks great! The cashew cream is a great idea and a fun alternative to the usual coconut milk. For people who do choose dairy, kefir works really well too.
    Thank you for sharing!

21. Nikki says:

How many servings is the nutrition facts based on, and which type of milk is used in the calculation? I have not really jumped on the chia-wagon since I find they yield a hefty dose of calories for a very small volume of food, and thus, they don’t fill me up… and not a big fan of the slippery texture. Doesn’t gross me out, but just doesn’t satisfy me…. I could make a bowl of oatmeal for twice the volume at the same calories!

1. Samantha says:

Have you tried mixing the chia seeds with almond milk? I use Almond Breeze, which only has around 40 calories per cup. The chia seeds are around 70 calories per 2 tablespoons. You could also try blending the chia seeds up with the mixture after it has set? That should grind the seeds up and make it less ‘slippery’. I do this sometimes for a smoother texture. I’ve only tried it in my Vitamix, so not sure how it would work in a normal blender?

22. Yummy! This will be my breakfast tomorrow! :)

23. Terri Cole says:

I love chia pudding, and chia in my green smoothies. One trick I’ve learned recently is using chia to thicken oil-free salad dressings.

24. This recipe looks so simple and amazing! I think the hardest part of the entire process is the patience…till tomorrow seems like so long to wait for such deliciousness.

25. Elizabeth says:

I just bought chia seeds for the first time today and came here to see if you had any chia recipes, so I think I have to make this now!

26. It’s been too long since I’ve made chia seed pudding, this looks great! I usually just add chia seeds to breakfast smoothies which is great for thickening them up.

27. I love love love chia seeds!!! I’ve been basically coming up with a new chia seed recipe every day, lol! This past week I made a raw vanilla bean coconut and a raw carob chip & cocoa pudding…I can’t get enough of it!! 😉

28. Samantha C. says:

I love chia seed pudding! I find the easiest way to make it is to dump all the ingredients in a container with a tight fitting lid or a mason jar and SHAKE! I keep it on the counter for the first 15 minutes or so and give it a good hard shake every couple of minutes, otherwise I find I get clumps in mine (if I just let it sit). Just a hint if anyone has issues with clumps!

29. Kristy Creamer says:

This is the first time you have posted a recipe that I already know and love! I LOVE LOVE LOVE chia pudding! I omit the fruit. It gets in the way of the yummy chia-ness. My nutritionist says this is so good for you, you can eat it for breakfast. Imagine how giddy I was when I ate it for breakfast! Not going to lie. I have never used vanilla bean paste. I use vanilla extract. Now I need to find vanilla bean paste. I’m intrigued.

30. I LOVE chia seed pudding and I love that this recipe is sooo simple and yummy! :) I am going to have to try this with some cashew milk! And to answer your question, I love everything Chia! In fact I am drinking a Chia seed smoothie right now!

31. Madeline Jubb says:

Katie perfect timing. I’m just getting into chia seeds. If I made it in the morning and it had 11 hours in the fridge. Is that long enough? Also can i sub half the milk for coconut milk?

32. Chris says:

What a coincidence, I was eating some cookies I made with chia seeds as I was reading my email and saw this one.
    I use chia seeds soaked in water to replace butter in quite a few recipes I make regularly (most frequently some oat and raisin cookies I was just eating). I also use them in my breakfast most mornings.

33. laura says:

love chia seeds! I made a pumpkin pie chia seed pudding using the following
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup soy milk
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (sugar free)
    2-3 tbsp canned pumpkin
    whisk everything together in bowl, let stand 20 minutes or overnight for extra thick, its delicious!

34. I love your take about your imaginary dog! :-) This dessert looks great too – and so good for you!

35. Elizabeth says:

Yum! These are great to make the night before for a grab and go breakfast in a mason jar. I added mint extract to mine :) just a tad or it gets WAYYY too minty!

xx,
    Elizabeth

36. Elissa says:

This looks amazing!! Chia is a favorite of mine:)

37. Dana says:

WOW – this recipe changed my life. Made it with unsweetened almond milk, and a little vanilla extract. So good! Thank you so much!

38. Melissa says:

Where do you find your vanilla bean paste? I couldn’t find it at Kroger, and we don’t have a lot of specialty grocers around here. I see it on Amazon, but the price point starts at $10+ and just goes up from there. (Sometimes groceries can be pretty affordable on Amazon, but other times they can really ream you on price!) I don’t know what is a reasonable price for the stuff.

39. AnnaBananaBelle says:

I tried this recipe yesterday and it was okay. I used half coconut milk and half almond milk. It seemed to get VERY thick so i added a little more almond milk and it did end up having a almond milky taste that i am not too fond of. I guess that’s just my opinion though. Sorry just not my favorite.

40. Brianna says:

I made this with Califa vanilla almond milk and omitted the vanilla bean paste. It was delish!

41. Laura says:

This recipe sounds so good! I have a hard time getting the consistency of chia pudding right, I will definitely give this a try! :)

42. Miriam says:

Does the nutritional facts for these super-yummy cupcakes include sugar or xylitol?

1. Miriam says:

Sorry this was supposed to be on the cherry blossom cupcakes post.

43. Asia says:

I hate to be a sourpuss but I went to make this recipe and realized it was costing me $2-3 in Chia seeds to make this single serving recipe. Is it just me or is that a lot?

44. Adriana Acevedo says:

How long is the pudding good for?

45. alice says:

do you have chia pudding cold or hot?

46. JBT says:

WHY can’t I print out any of your recipes, please?

47. Faith says:

Oh Yea!
    This was so good it made it onto WTBlueberrries! Thx a million Katie

48. Grace says:

this sounds sooooooooo good I love Chia Pudding

49. Maria says:

Wow love this!!! It reminds me a lot of this recipe from further food: http://www.furtherfood.com/recipe/chocolate-peanut-butter-chia-pudding/

50. Hi Katie, this is no guilt dessert! YUMMM
    I tried a version of chia pudding with chocolate, it was really good.