Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

The Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie.

5 Minute Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie:

I know some people swear by cold cereal for breakfast…

But whenever I eat a bowl of cereal, I always seem to be hungry again less than an hour later. Does this happen to you as well?

However, I do like the convenience of cold cereal. Sure, it would be nice to eat homemade pancakes or waffles or Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls every single day for breakfast, but who has time for that? Especially on Mondays, I want something that doesn’t take all morning to prepare, can be made with just a few ingredients, and will hold me over until lunch. Enter this healthy peanut butter banana smoothie:

Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie:

In 5 minutes or less, you have a balanced and filling breakfast with:

Two servings of fruit

Calcium, potassium, and fiber

And 12 grams of protein… even if you don’t add any protein powder!

Peanut Butter Smoothie  Peanut Butter Smoothie

This peanut butter banana smoothie is also easy to take on the go, which means you get to set your alarm clock that much later in the morning .Winking smile

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1 large over-ripe frozen banana
  • 2-4 tbsp peanut butter or pb2, or allergy-friendly alternative
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • pinch salt
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 tbsp quick oats or rolled oats
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • scoop protein powder, optional
Total Time: 5m
Yield: 1 serving

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Recipe: Blend the oats until a fine powder forms, then add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Drink immediately, or store in a covered container in the refrigerator if you’d prefer to make the smoothie the night before.

View Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Nutrition Facts

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Question of the Day:

Do you ever eat cold cereal for breakfast?

Does it do a good job of filling you up, or are you like me and find yourself getting hungry again well before lunchtime?

oatmeal muffins

Link of the Day: Oatmeal Muffins {healthy breakfast}

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. EmilyLovesRaisins says:

Hey Katie!
    This is kinda random but I just wanted to say that I really love your blog. You’re such a positive influence and your personality really shines through. You’ve helped me when I wasn’t sure what it meant to be healthy. Also, you can take some of the simplest ingredients and turn them into something healthy and (more importantly) delicious! I eagerly check your blog everyday in hopes there will be a new recipe, and when there is I am always SOOO excited to try it out!
    All that randomness aside… I used to eat cereal sometimes but I don’t anymore cause I realized that most commercial brands are pretty processed. I totally agree with you about the convenience part though. It would be pretty awesome if someone could make a cereal that turned into pancakes the second it touched milk, but for now I will just have to either take an extra 15 minutes to cook OR just make something super-simple-yet-delicious like this smoothie!

2. Allison Galassie says:

I’m the complete opposite! Cereal is usually okay for me, but I’m so hungry after smoothies

1. Ange says:

me too! I think for me it has to do with chewing food – I need to chew to feel like I ate something…
      I love cold cereal for breakfast. I keep boxes above my desk at work and have it as I read my morning emails. One of my favourite parts of the day. I don’t think I could ever give it up!

3. Jennifer W. says:

I love the PB2 you added to this smoothie. Thank you for the post. I need other alternatives for breakfast because unfortunately I am allergic to eggs. This will be great.

4. Lisa Ernst says:

Love your blog! This looks like a good alternative to cereal, I can’t wait to try it. Lately I’ve found a good alternative to cold cereal that’s fast and easy. I cook up a large batch of quinoa and refrigerate what I don’t use immediately. Then in the morning I’ll scoop some out in a bowl, cover with unsweetened soymilk, add a few drops of stevia and vanilla extract. It tastes good, is fast, filling and nutritious.

5. This looks delicious, and so filling, I bet it went down a treat :)
    Sometimes I eat cold cereal yeh, but I tend to just opt for oat porridge. Saying that, this morning I had a cold-served overnight banana oat jar topped with some granola, and it was great!
    I hope you’ve had a great start to your week Katie, thanks for this recipe 😀 x

6. I can never usually get on with smoothies – I think that it is the thick texture I am not keen on, but I think that I will give this one a try as I love peanut butter and bananas – could a fresh banana be used?

1. Karen says:

I think that if you use a fresh banana the smoothie won’t be as thick, but since you said you don’t like the thick texture, maybe that would be a good thing.

2. Claire says:

You can use a fresh banana, but the smoothie won’t be cold. I I just made this smoothie this morning and it came out pretty thin, just use a smaller banana or more milk to thin it out! :)

7. D says:

Katie, ever since seeing your creations, I have always been making breakfast the night before. I’ve done blended cereal, oatmeal (porridge or baked), oat bran (porridge or baked), interestingly, I don’t seem to find any recipes with baking oat bran. Also, I’ve gotten into bulgur. I never care to have cold cereal anymore.

I cannot wait for your book to come out in the fall!

8. Sarah says:

I’m not a big fan of cold cereal for breakfast. It’s just not satisfying to me!

9. Polina says:

I thought it is only my problem – after most of cereals I am quickly become hanger. Though it was one exception: I have done your 5-minute oatmeal and it was really filling! But it won’t stop me from trying this:) Thank you for another one beauty.

10. Linda says:

This is absolutely crazy since I was planning on going home and making this exact smoothie before you posted the recipe. We think alike:) The smoothie is also fantastic with a tablespoon of cocoa powder because as you know, chocolate makes everything better!

11. nuts4knits says:

Yes! One of my favorite PB2 recipes! You can also add 1-2 Tbsp of Silk Road cocoa powder and 1/2 cup frozen peas (you can’t taste the peas). Yum! I love your ideas.

1. Nicole says:

Thank you for the peas suggestion, I’m going to give it a try!

12. Marlowe says:

I make this in the afternoon when my the munchies hit. I haven’t added oats, but I do throw in a couple of handfuls of spinach. the PB and banana cover up the flavor and my kids love the green. I will try adding oats today.

13. Like Allison, I’m fine with either cold or hot cereal, but smoothies only hold for about one hour or so. I love banana milk with pb, will give the addition of oats a try. Maybe it will fill me up for more than one hour!

14. I agree 100% on cold cereal–I feel like I could eat 5 bowls and still feel hungry an hour afterwards! I love banana and PB for breakfast, though–usually as part of a yogurt bowl or on an English muffin, but this smoothie sounds like a great idea too!

15. I think it depends on the cereal. I usually have a bowl of bran flakes with a banana, and it keeps me full until lunch! Grape-Nuts are also a good choice to last me until lunch. But I would only eat Cheerios for breakfast as a last resort because when I eat Cheerios, I get hungry again much sooner than that.

16. Bethan says:

This looks absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for sharing! Would you recommend this as a post-work out treat? x

17. Susan says:

Yes, I eat cereal for breakfast, usually about 1-2x per week. My solution to the problem of getting hungry is to add a scoop of protein powder (and a tablespoon of flaxseed), plus have a stick of string cheese – unless I use non-fat milk, in which case the calories prohibit cheese. We also are in the habit of having a morning snack, because of the eating plan we are on, which specifies that to keep our metabolism up, we should eat every 2-3 hours. I know we were probably all raised to believe that one should just eat 3 meals a day, with maybe an afternoon snack, but current nutritional wisdom says that is no longer the best way to go. I’m looking forward to trying this smoothie recipe – smoothies are always a good breakfast.

18. I make something similar to this for the boyfriend – he is wary of the green “healthy” smoothies, so if it’s loaded with PB and banana … he’ll eat it! I like to throw frozen strawberries into mine just to add a bit more sweetness.

19. Marci says:

Hi Katie,
    I’m writing a book and will be referencing your website in the resources section. I would like to print at least one and possibly more of your recipes in the text of the book. The recipe would of course be accompanied by a notation saying that it is your recipe and repeating your URL. Is this alright with you? Could I say “reprinted with permission?”
    Please let me know.
    Thanks kindly,

20. JC says:

I have actually been in an odd bit of a habit for the past year or so – waking up any number of times between midnight and 6 to snack on… frankly whatever comes to mind. More often than not the munchable of choice is cereal. While I can’t testify for these nights/mornings, one the days where I manage a normal breakfast [with cereal] it isn’t too filling unless it is oatmeal, and even that doesn’t tend to stick for too long.

Speaking of which, I just started getting into smoothies as an accompaniment to the library/while doing field work. It’s a low-fuss way of keeping full, and this recipe sounds like no exception! I’d be tempted to try bran in lieu of oats however.

21. Tammela says:

This sounds great. I like the idea of using oats for fiber and thickening. I often eat muesli with almond milk and banana for breakfast, and it usually holds me for 3-4 hours. If I need something more substantial, I’ll make cooked oatmeal and stir in peanut butter in banana (kind of like this smoothie, but in warm form!).

22. Jessica says:

Cold cereal and milk is a snack. Breakfast and post workout cereal is with greek yogurt. I’m usually a flavored Cheerio’s person, which is still better than my all time favorite Reese’s Puffs but still not enough protein and fiber on its own to keep me satisfied. Mini wheats…different story, but I never go through them fast enough to warrant buying them often.

1. Sadye says:

Yes! It’s my favorite bedtime snack. Got into the habit when I was working second shift, and now it feels weird to eat cereal for breakfast.

23. Bianca says:

I basically had this for breakfast this morning but made with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter and Vega French Vanilla powder….so good!

24. Shonalika says:

Haha, I’ve been making this exact smoothie as a snack quite regularly over the past week… but I haven’t had it for breakfast so far because I need a BIG breakfast. Cold cereal can’t keep me going for more than an hour – especially with the minuscule portion sizes listed on the packet! Adding oats would probably make the smoothie entirely breakfast-worthy, without affecting the flavour – definitely going to try it!

25. Carolyn HSmith says:

No, Katie, I don’t eat cold cereal for breakfast. I love to have it instead of dinner on hot days, and it holds me over til time for bed.
    This recipe sounds like it will be a great prize for a hot afternoon! I have the Pb2 and I like it in recipes. (Tried it in pb and jelly, but it wasn’t the same for my little one, so I had to make him a regular one).
    Til next time, and thanks for loving us thru your wonderful recipes!

26. Chris says:

Hey Katie, this smoothie looks so good! I like your addition of oats to a classic PB recipe. I still haven’t tried oats in a smoothie. I think some soaked buckwheat would work too. To answer your question, I haven’t had cold cereal for breakfast in several years. I do like cold cereal but I avoid it since its a processed food and I always found myself overeating it because I was never satisfied! I would love to see more lunch and dinner recipes from you! I think I may have left that comment before, but I’m telling you again! :)

27. Tonii Nuttall says:

I’ve been drinking a similar smoothie for breakfast for decades. I’ve never added the oatmeal, and will do that. What I do add is a bit of powdered chocolate – makes it taste like a pb cup!

28. Andrea says:

This is one of my go-to favs for the summer. Sometimes I add vanilla yogurt for extra creaminess! It takes like ice cream…Yum…

29. Aly says:

Any news on when your cookbook will be available? Looking forward to it!

30. EVA says:

For two years, I’ve had nothing but Rice Chex and almond milk for breakfast. I feel like a whole different person and am usually in a crabby mood if I DON’T have it! Funny thing is that cereal is pretty much the only thing that keeps me full….that and baked potatoes. Basically carbs in general are the only things that stick with me. Which is fine in my book!

31. Cold Cereal NOOOOO! Too sugared up and definitely doesn’t fill me for the morning. I made this smoothie this morning and it was great. I added flaxseeds too and it was so huge I was drinking it at work over 2 hours!
    Ive always had a thing for breakfast foods but I’m worse since I found your blog :) I just can’t make anything boring anymore, it has to be a breakfast creation!

32. Lea says:

That smoothie looks absolutely delicious! I will give it a try when I have a blender once again. Mmmmh!

33. tara says:

i’m the same as you. cereal = hungry in 1-2 hours. like super hungry !

34. I actually had that exact thought this morning! I rarely eat cold cereal, but it sounded good this morning, and then 45 minutes later I was already hungry! So annoying.

35. Mary Frances says:

Delicious AND good for you! What could be better?

36. CharOsT says:

Just wanted to say I swear by this – I don’t usually put in the vanilla extract, sweetener or protein powder as I love how light and refreshing it tastes with rice milk! The best in hot weather. And I usually don’t like cereals either – only muesli with A LOT of fruit can sustain me just as well as oatmeal! Speaking of which, a collection of your recipes inspired me this morning for a microwaved banana, peanut butter, dark chocolate oatmeal with raisins – just the thing I needed for another day of exams!
    I love your whole website – my sister has learnt to accept that whenever we cook/bake, your site is the first we reference! Completely inspiring to take a different approach to cooking with both healthy good stuff (AND irresistible deliciousness!) in my house.
    – Charlene (UK)

37. This sounds absolutely delicious and I’ve never thought of it before. I really love reading your blog and learning about food every time!

38. I make something similar very often-especially when the warm weather hits! I blend frozen bananas with almond butter and a few other ingredients. Instead if a smoothie, I call it “ice cream” 😉

39. Chocolatecoveredfan says:

Hi katie!

40. Angie says:

I am hooked! I can’t thank you enough for this recipe! You are 100% right that after eating cereal hunger hits too soon. I made this yesterday for breakfast (it took all my reserves not to down it in one gulp it was soo good) and wasn’t hungry till well after lunch time! Had it again today and haven’t needed a snack or anything so again Thank you!!!

41. KC says:

I tripled the recipe and made this for breakfast this morning for my husband, my 2 year old, and myself. It tasted great without any added sweetener. It was just like having a shake for breakfast. It did hold us over until lunch time too. Thanks for sharing this recipe Katie!

42. Janelle says:

I made it this morning in my Vitamix and it was yum! Thank you!

43. Claire says:

You know Katie, every time I try to make a fruit smoothie at home, no matter the ingredients, no matter the recipe, it tastes horrible. Not this one! This was my first successful scratch smoothie and it tastes amazing! I especially love the taste of rolled oats, it really balances out the flavors! Bravo!

44. Steph says:

I used to always eat cold cereal for breakfast- the really sugary stuff, I don’t understand how, looking back! Oats, smoothies and pancakes all the way!

45. Delicious! I used no protein powder, and I added a teaspoon of sugar. I think maybe next time I’ll try skipping the sugar altogether.

46. Christa says:

Just made this today and it was delicious. Next time I might be adventurous and try it with some cocoa powder too. Thanks for the recipe.

47. Leona B. says:

I’ve never tried peanut butter banana smoothie, but it looks delicious!! Isn’t it too sweet?? I think this would be great in combination with cereals. This is the best food to eat and drink first thing in the morning!

48. Eva says:

so delicious!

49. Eva says:

amazing:) I wish I could make this shake myself 😛 only experience with milkshakes or ice cream I have, comes from Papa’s Freezeria game at but this recipe looks simple enough so ill give it a try 😀

50. kaitlyn says:

recipe looks great can’t wait to try it out

51. kaitlyn says:

can’t wait to try it

52. Lily says:

This is one of my favorite recipes of yours—I absolutely love the milkshakes, but for some reason have trouble with the bananas getting blended (quite possibly a result of my cheap blender), but with this smoothie the bananas blended quite well! I can’t seem to convince anybody that’s it’s healthy because it tastes so good!

53. Sigrid says:

This sure looks tasty and so I hope on trying this soon! I just need to know how much time does it take to make this smoothie?

54. Diana says:

I made this using only one tablespoon of peanut butter, and I added a dash of cinnamon and a Truvia packet as well. Very tasty, and very filling, too!

55. Marta says:

The recipe is very easy and delicious, I’ve eaten it countless times since August, but I wanted to check the nutrition facts and I’m a bit concerned about it. If you suggest at least 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, this one ingredient has already 320 kcal, assuming that one tbsp is 25 g. If you add an average banana, oats, almond milk and the rest of ingredients, it’s almost 550 kcal – without protein powder! Compared to what you wrote – 350 kcal – the difference is huge. The recipe says it serves 1, so… something is wrong. I’m all confused now. Could you please explain how you calculated those 350 kcal? :)

1. Jen says:

When you calculate nutrition facts you only use the lower amount of each ingredient listed.

56. Jen says:

This peanut butter banana smoothie is so easy but so good. Love how something so simple can taste so great!