Secretly Healthy Chocolate Fudge Balls

Secretly Healthy Chocolate Fudge Balls! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/25/secretly-healthy-chocolate-fudge-balls/

These little chocolate fudge balls are so fudgy it’s unreal! And NO butter, corn syrup, or heavy cream are needed to achieve the rich and fudgy texture.

Can you guess the secret healthy ingredient?

black bean desserts

If you’ve tried and enjoyed the recipe for Black Bean Brownies posted on my site almost 2 years ago, there’s a good chance you will love this recipe too. I know beans in desserts might still weird some people out… but keep in mind they’ve been making bean-based desserts in Asia for centuries!

And with that, I guess I gave the secret ingredient away. I really am lousy at keeping secrets. 😕

black bean truffles

Black Bean Dessert

Black Bean Chocolate Fudge Balls

(Makes 10-12… feel free to double the recipe!)

Adapted from my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles

• 2/3 cup cooked or canned black beans (120g)
  • 2 1/2 tsp virgin coconut oil (See below for a substitution)
  • 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • chocolate coating (recipe below)

Drain beans and rinse VERY well. This is important! Then combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth. Refrigerate so the coconut oil hardens and the mixture is firm enough to roll into balls with your hands. Once rolled, return to the fridge. (See chocolate coating recipe below.) Store in a covered container for up to a week. Or freeze, being sure to fully thaw before eating.

Chocolate Coating: Either carefully melt chocolate chips with a tiny bit of oil to make a sauce OR combine equal parts pure maple syrup, cocoa powder, and virgin coconut oil to form a thin sauce (about 2 tbsp of each). If the sauce is too thick, very gently heat until it thins out. Line a plate with parchment, dip chilled balls into the chocolate, then place on the parchment and immediately return to the refrigerator to allow the coating to set.

—> View Black Bean Chocolate Fudge Balls Nutrition Facts <—

*I’ve not tried the following substitution, but two commenters reported success in substituting peanut butter (or an allergy-friendly alternative to peanut butter) for the coconut oil.

pumpkin stuffed cinnamon rolls

Link of the Day: Homemade Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Jen says:

These sound amazing – I love your black bean brownies, so I’m sure I’ll love these too <3

2. These look absolutely snarfable! I’ve never thought of using beans in truffles, this looks like it might just be my new favourite source of fiber!!

3. Emily J. says:

Oh yum, yum, YUM! I have made your black bean brownies and love them! These look amazing, and appetizing.

4. Iman says:

Your food always looks so good! This recipe will turn out amazingly yummy I’m sure 🙂 Can’t wait to try it!

5. These look so good! There is nothing better than fudge, especially chocolate fudge! But you made chocolate fudge healthy?! You did it again Katie!

6. These look really yummy – chocolate recipes are my favourite.

7. Bianca says:

I still don’t think I’ve tried black bean brownies. Maybe. I can’t remember. But if so, I think someone else made them. I need to give it a shot!

8. Ilona says:

OMG! They have to taste sooo good 😀

9. This sounds amazing! I’ve never had black bean brownies because I’m too stubborn to deviate from my classic favorite recipe, but these fudgey balls look like the dessert to get me to start baking with beans!

10. Karen says:

These look delish! I love fudge and fudgy things! However, I have a couple questions: How long should you refrigerate the mixture before rolling into balls? and if you’re using chocolate chips for the coating, roughly how much should you melt? I’m not that great at eyeballing.

1. Karen says:

I didn’t have the patience to wait for your reply and went ahead and made these a few hours ago. My parents and I just ate them for dessert, and they were even better than I had anticipated! They were so rich and chocolatey and my dad even said that they tasted like they came from a pastry shop!

1. Karen says:

one thing I just wanted to add: when you coat the truffles with melted chocolate, it would be a really good idea to grease the plate first because I didn’t and then the bottoms of the chocolates stuck to the plate.

1. Thanks for reporting back! I used a sheet of parchment and should have noted that in the instructions. Updating now! Thank you so much for trying them 🙂

1. Alexis says:

I let them thaw just a little bit so they were half frozen. SO delicious, my husband even likes them and that says a lot!

11. Ella says:

I’ve wanted to try something dessert-like made with black beans for a long time… I need to just do it! These look great, Katie 🙂

12. kirsten says:

i have a recipe similar to this one that i just posted on my instagram a few weeks ago (@f00dventures) but i made what i’m calling a raw frozen turtle brownie. uses black beans in the base and you can’t even tell the black beans are there. great way to sneak some protein and fiber into desserts!

13. Keeley says:

Your recipes call for a food processor so often I got the dh to buy me one for my birthday. 🙂 Excited to try this recipe out.

14. Kyla @ Two Cups Cacao says:

These look fantastic! I love black bean brownies, so I’m pretty sure I’ll love this one when I make it. I’m happy to say I’ve got all these ingredients on hand, so I’ll be sure to make them pretty soon. Thanks for posting!

15. Alexis says:

This may be a silly question, but why must they be fully thawed before eating? I’m just curious! I think they’d be delicious frozen, like little fudge pop bites! Is there a reason?

1. Alexis says:

I am going to find out because I just made them and froze some 😀 I made them with almond butter, and they are amazing!! I have to agree with some of the other comments, TRIPLE THE RECIPE!

1. I don’t really like the texture, but if you don’t mind it then feel free to eat straight away!

16. Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy says:

I should have known it was going to be beans! You have so many bean recipes 🙂 They do replace the flour nicely, I have to admit.

17. These look fantastic! I ahve made a black bean Brownie before and it came out delicious, but I bet it will be even better in bite-size covered in chocolate, mmm! 😀 Great recipe Katie! x

18. Kyra says:

I’ve always been too scared to use beans in a dessert/sweet dish but it totally makes sense in this recipe – I can totally see how the texture of the blended beans can become decadent chocolate fudge balls! I think I will try this (plus it will make a quick dessert with ingredients I usually always have!) – thanks for sharing your recipe 🙂

1. Kittykat says:

WOW !!!! These are GOOD !!!! Almost kinda like a hedge hog in texture on the inside. I didn’t have sugar so threw in a few dried apricots into the food processer. The longer you have the food processer on the smoother in texture they turn out. I threw abit of coconut inside the filling too. I’ll makes these for ever now.. They were quick to make and satisfies your chocolate craving. No one would ever be able to detect these were made from black beans. I saw this recipe and about 1/2 later hubby says he wanted a chocolate bar treat so I made these… Thank you so very much for posting this recipe.

19. EVA says:

Whelp, the first recipe I ever tried of yours was the critically acclaimed black bean brownies and DIED WITH LOVE at every bite, so I’m sure these are the bomb! (and actually “the bomb” since they’re round lil’ balls). Loving the nut butter option too as I keep NO coconut products in the house. I’m sorry, I hate it….

20. Deanna says:

TRIPLE the RECIPE!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously!!!
    I just made them and most of the batter didn’t make it to the refrigeration process because I kept eating them! So so good!
    If you use a 540ml / 19 fl oz can of black beans, the tripled recipe uses the full can 🙂

1. Thank you for making them!! 🙂