Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chia Pudding Recipe – 5 Delicious Flavors!

A basic chia pudding recipe – try a new flavor for every day of the week!

Vegan Banana Chia Pudding

Chia Pudding – The Ultimate Healthy Dessert?

If you’re new to chia seeds, this easy recipe is a great starting point.

You simply stir everything together and refrigerate until thick.

No fancy cooking gadgets, no whisking on the stovetop, and no baking required.

I’ve posted the base recipe below, along with some of my favorite flavor variations, each of which can be prepared in under 5 minutes.

The resulting pudding is deliciously thick and creamy, with so many health benefits! It can be vegan, gluten free, raw, paleo, low calorie, low carb, and keto friendly… and you can eat chia pudding for breakfast or a healthy dessert.

You Might Also Like: Keto Cheesecake – 5 Ingredients

Chocolate Chia Pudding

Why You Should Try Chia Pudding

1. High in fiber, protein, and calcium
It’s also high in B vitamins, iron, phosphorous, zinc, and magnesium.

2. Chia seeds are rich in Omega 3s
Just 2 tbsp of chia seeds have the same amount of heart-healthy Omega 3s as four ounces of salmon.

3. They’ve been shown to help you feel full
Chia seeds can expand up to 10 times their size by soaking up liquid, which can help keep you hydrated and aid in the digestion process. They are a great source of energy and can help in weight loss but are not strictly a diet food.

4. Natural alternative to cornstarch or heavy cream
The chia seeds naturally thicken the pudding, with no need to add any flour, starch, cream, eggs, or thickeners like xanthan gum or carrageenan.

5. A new flavor for every day of the week!
Try some of the flavor variations below, or have fun coming up with your own. You can make chia seed pudding with almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, yogurt, cashew cream, or even other liquids such as orange juice or coconut water.

Or make a breakfast chia parfait by layering the pudding with fresh berries, banana, coconut yogurt, graham cracker crumbs, or Vegan BrowniesSweet Potato Brownies, or Black Bean Brownies.

Chia Pudding Recipes - chocolate, vanilla, blueberry, banana, and peanut butter

Chia Seed Pudding Flavors

Chocolate Fudge Chia Pudding: Add mini chocolate chips and 2 tbsp cocoa powder or your favorite chocolate protein powder to the base recipe below.

Strawberry Coconut: Use coconutmilk for the milk of choice in the base recipe, and garnish with sliced strawberries or layer the pudding in a glass between layers of chopped berries (as shown in the photo below).

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough: Stir 1-2 tbsp peanut butter or powdered peanut butter into the base recipe. If desired, crumble Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies on top.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Stir in mini chocolate chips and 1/4 cup mashed banana. I like to heat the banana first so it caramelizes, adding natural sweetness.

Blueberry Pie Chia Pudding: Stir in 1/4 cup mashed or pureed blueberries or blueberry yogurt. Add a dash of cinnamon and tiny sprinkle of cardamom if desired.

Other flavor ideas for how to make chia pudding: mocha, pumpkin, matcha, pb&j, piña colada, nutella, chocolate chip cherry, cinnamon roll, orange vanilla, key lime pie, coconut chocolate…

Chia Seed Pudding Recipe

What would be your dream flavor chia pudding?

This recipe will keep 4-5 days in the fridge, so it’s great for meal prep.

Feel free to double or triple the recipe below if you want a larger batch, or make up a bigger version of the base and then portion individual servings into containers, turning each one into a different flavor so you can try a new flavor every day.

And if you’ve tried chia puddings in the past and weren’t a fan of the gel-like texture, simply blend all of the ingredients together before letting it sit overnight. The resulting pudding the next day will be thick and smooth.

Trending Right Now: Veggie Burger Recipe

Easy Chia Pudding Recipes, for a healthy vegan breakfast. Flavors include banana, peanut butter, chocolate, and vanilla.

Also Try This Avocado Chocolate Mousse

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Chia Pudding Recipe

An easy recipe for how to make chia pudding in five different flavors.
4.97/5 (134)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 – 2 servings

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk of choice or cashew cream
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice, as desired
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt

Instructions

• *Sweetener amount will depend on the type of milk and sweetener you use, as well as your tastes. Options include maple syrup, stevia, sugar, coconut sugar, date paste, etc.
    Chia Pudding Recipe: Whisk all ingredients in a container. If desired, you can blend everything together now, which will result in a smoother consistency the next day, but I actually love the taste and fun texture of leaving the seeds whole, so it's up to you. Cover, shake, then refrigerate overnight. The next day, it will be nice and thick. The pudding will keep 4-5 days refrigerated, so feel free to make a larger batch and portion into individual containers. I’ve included some flavor ideas earlier in this post, or have fun dreaming up your own!
    View Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

More Healthy Ways To Use Chia Seeds:

Overnight Oats Recipes, 15 Different Flavors

Overnight Oats

(15 NEW Recipes!)

Brownie Fat Bombs

Keto Brownie Bombs

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Chocolate bars with chia seeds

Homemade Chocolate Bars

Breakfast cookies with chia seeds and chocolate chips

Breakfast Cookies Recipe

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

112 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Madeline Jubb says

Katie perfect timing. I’m just getting into chia seeds. If I made it in the morning and it had 11 hours in the fridge. Is that long enough? Also can i sub half the milk for coconut milk?

2. Chris says

What a coincidence, I was eating some cookies I made with chia seeds as I was reading my email and saw this one.
    I use chia seeds soaked in water to replace butter in quite a few recipes I make regularly (most frequently some oat and raisin cookies I was just eating). I also use them in my breakfast most mornings.

3. laura says

love chia seeds! I made a pumpkin pie chia seed pudding using the following
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup soy milk
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (sugar free)
    2-3 tbsp canned pumpkin
    whisk everything together in bowl, let stand 20 minutes or overnight for extra thick, its delicious!

4. Dana says

WOW – this recipe changed my life. Made it with unsweetened almond milk, and a little vanilla extract. So good! Thank you so much!

5. Melissa says

Where do you find your vanilla bean paste? I couldn’t find it at Kroger, and we don’t have a lot of specialty grocers around here. I see it on Amazon, but the price point starts at $10+ and just goes up from there. (Sometimes groceries can be pretty affordable on Amazon, but other times they can really ream you on price!) I don’t know what is a reasonable price for the stuff.

6. AnnaBananaBelle says

I tried this recipe yesterday and it was okay. I used half coconut milk and half almond milk. It seemed to get VERY thick so i added a little more almond milk and it did end up having a almond milky taste that i am not too fond of. I guess that’s just my opinion though. Sorry just not my favorite.

7. Laura says

This recipe sounds so good! I have a hard time getting the consistency of chia pudding right, I will definitely give this a try! 🙂

8. Asia says

I hate to be a sourpuss but I went to make this recipe and realized it was costing me $2-3 in Chia seeds to make this single serving recipe. Is it just me or is that a lot?

9. Kristen says

This is another of my favorite recipes, because eating it makes me feel good. Everyone was telling me about chia, but I did not try it until I saw your recipe. Love the pictures, too.

5/5

5/5

10. Mineka says

I have determined you are a sorceress.
    I HAVE made chia pudding before… or at least tried to. I don’t know what it is but the chia seeds don’t behave, and I get something gross in the end. I tried this recipe, because frankly after the Apple Pie Muffins, if I was going to attempt chia pudding again it was going to be this.
    LO! But It actually turned into pudding this time! That and declicous pudding at that, sorta like baby tapioca. Soooooo good. Well, now between the cook book and the blog I’m likely going to be making my way through all your recipes.
    Any thoughts on a second book that encompasses the recipes on the blog? I’m just a fan of the paper books when it comes to stuff in the kitchen. Just curious!

5/5

5/5

11. Lucy says

Loved this recipe. It was a perfect serving for my mason jar and kept me full until lunch. I had it with almond butter and it was heavenly!

4/5

4/5

12. Lucy says

Loved this recipe! It was a perfect serving for my mason jar and kept me full until lunchtime. I topped mine with almond butter and it was heavenly!

4/5

4/5

13. Chic says

When you list the Smart Point values, but the recipe calls for stevia OR sugar, or milk OR cashew cream, which ingredient are you using for the Smart Point calculation and do you have a suggestion for how to recalculate if I use sugar instead of stevia or milk instead of cashew cream for example?
    Thanks! Love that you include Smart Points by the way. Your recipes have become key in my home!

14. Sara says

Does anyone find that when using canned coconut milk, after refrigerating overnight, the coconut milk fat separates and solidifies on the top of the pudding? Is the simple solution just to break it up and stir the pudding back together, or am I missing something?

15. Kristi says

Hi Katie. I stirred up my chia seeds in some almond cashew milk and the next morning it was just milk with chia seeds floating around. No pudding or thickening. What do you think might have happened?

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, I’m confused. Katie only posted this a few hours ago, so how could you have let it sit overnight?
      Jason

16. Cassie Tran says

Truthfully, I rarely ever have chia pudding! I do love the way it looks and I LOVE LOVE LOVE chia seeds though! These pudding ideas look glorious–peanut butter and banana bread, oh my! I’m sure adding lots of blueberries, pistachios, and dark chocolate chunks into the pudding would yield a beautiful flavor too.

17. Whitney says

Question: has anyone ever tried blending BEFORE letting it sit? I made this for breakfast today, and it was better than I expected, but I’m not crazy about the texture of whole seeds. So, I was curious if it’s okay to blend before soaking, or if needs to be after because it would somehow affect it negatively? Any ideas from anyone? Thanks!

• Jason Sanford says

You absolutely can! You can blend either just the seeds, or everything, before letting it sit. We will add that to the recipe now.

• Michelle says

I’m going to try this tonight. By blending the seeds, do you mean grinding them so they’re not whole any more, or just blending them with the other ingredients?

• Jason Sanford says

Either! Honestly I prefer the taste and texture of having them whole (not blended at all), but you can blend at any stage. I’d probably blend before gelling though.