Raw Coconut Cream Pie

With a Christmas or St. Patrick’s Day color twist!

raw coconut cream pie

Two summers ago, I visited a 100% raw restaurant, Quintessence, in New York City. Ever since that visit, I’ve been dreaming of their raw coconut cream pie.

Sadly, I do not live anywhere near Quintessence, and therefore don’t have easy access to the pie. However, I do have two hands, a powerful blender, and a local Asian grocery store that put Thai coconuts on sale for $1 last week. Translation: time to make some coconut cream pie!

vita-mix coconut cream pie

Raw Coconut Cream Pie

• 1/2 cup Thai coconut meat (about 110g)
  • 1 1/2 cups raw zucchini (250g) (For a pie with a more traditional “coconut cream pie” taste, or if you don’t want the green color, omit the zucchini and add that much more coconut meat.)
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice
  • Optional: for a richer pie, you can add some coconut oil
  • Add 4tbsp cocoa powder for chocolate cream pie.

Click for: Chocolate Cream Pie photos.

Add all the ingredients together and blend very well. If you’re using a Magic Bullet, you might want to blend the zucchini by itself first so it doesn’t stay chunky. Taste and add more sweetener if desired. Transfer your mixture to a pie-crust (or pie pan for a crustless pie) and freeze. If you freeze it more than a few hours, thaw before eating.

Raw Grasshopper Pie: Add a few drops pure peppermint extract, as well as some cacao nibs (or chocolate chips) to the filling.

raw coconut cream pie vegan

Link of the Day: 85 Healthy Raw Dessert Recipes

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. That looks so good and healthy!

2. abby says:

i’ve made raw desserts!!! your raw cheesecake, for one. and more fudge babies than i can count. i am OBSESSED with fudge babies 🙂 🙂 :).

1. Valerie says:

Oh yes, we’re big fans of the Fudge Babies over here, too :). They’re great little snacks for the kids’ lunchboxes. And well, if a few pop into my mouth as I’m packing lunch… well, you can’t blame me, right?

3. Yummm, that looks really good 😀 I’m not a fan of overly sweet things so I think I’d enjoy this! As far as raw recipes go for savoury food, I’m pretty much limited to salads 😛 I’m curious to see what others have to say!

4. Lisa C. says:

I’ve made your fudge babies. Does that count?
    Oh, and like Nicole, I can say that I make a mean raw salad ;). I’m also a fan of raw veggies, as long as the dip is good. There’s a restaurant by my house that makes a delicious vegan ranch. But I don’t think it’s raw.

5. That looks tasty….and soo cute too!!

6. Camille says:

I love the color on this one! Very pretty!

7. eatandrun says:

Love the photo :). It sounds delicious!

8. Jennifer JCD says:

Looks beautiful. I’m surprised the zucchini made it so green like that. I’m also really happy you found a way to make the coconut pie you loved so much. Making this recipe for you has been on my list forever but I never could find coconut butter. Your version looks fantastic, and so festive too. Well done!

As for raw recipes, we make a few every once in a while, but mostly desserts like you do. They are usually healthier and more tasteful than baked desserts. We’ve made a yummy grawnola once before too, but we don’t have a dehydrator so we can only make it when we ca borrow one from my parents.

1. I’ve never even seen a dehydrator. I bet they’re fun to play with. But then again, what kitchen gadget isn’t? 😉

9. Such a pretty piece of pie!! 😀

10. Sarahishealthy says:

Oh I want a piece! I on’t think I’ve ever had a Thai coconut. Are they different from regular coconuts?

1. Yes, they’re the ones that are white on the outside, not brown. They look like pyramids.

1. Melissa says:

Yup. They are also called Young Coconuts sometimes. They are baby coconuts, basically, before the meat matures and gets all hard. They contain soft, squishy flesh and delicious, light coconut water. The water is pretty amazing stuff! It’s nature’s Gatorade and I actually took cans of the stuff with me for my recent marathon. It really helps with electrolyte balancing.

Fun fact: they actually used coconut water to do blood transfusions in the past! It’s so close to the same balance as human blood that it would work in an emergency. Now that’s pretty awesome stuff! So, when you use the meat for this recipe don’t toss the water! Drink it! 🙂

1. Tanya says:

That is so true, Melissa!!! I wish there was a “Like” button! 🙂

11. this looks delicious! im so jealous of your creativity!

12. VEGirl says:

I like raw recipes! I won’t pretend all the nuts don’t freak me out (they totally do), but if I’m feeling up to it, I realize how yummy they are. I loveee fudge babies 🙂 and your sneaky veggie raw cheesecake is on my mental to-un-bake list ;). This one really appeals to me though, because it’s light and more fluffy. Too bad our local Asian market doesn’t have fresh produce (what’s with that?). Awww, well. If I move to Hawaii maybe! Or feel like spending about 5 bucks…. we’ll see, it’s awfully tempting!

VEGirl

1. I want to move to Hawaii too! Roommates?? 😉

13. Danielle says:

That looks really good! I’ve never made any raw desserts before. I guess now would be a good time to start, I just bought some coconut.

14. Inspired says:

Haha I’m the opposite from you! I have made a few not-sweet raw recipes, but not as many sweet ones. I guess it’s just because when I want something sweet, I usually want a bigger amount than those tiny raw desserts. (I love fudge babies though :))

15. Leslie says:

Does this make a full cake, or a mini one like your cheesecake recipe? Thanks Katie!

16. Melissa says:

Our local 100% vegan and raw restaurant makes a coconut cream pie that rocks my socks off. It’s got a date/coconut crust and is so light and fresh. I keep wanting to make it at home but all the recipes I find seem to fatty. This one, though, sounds like JUST the ticket. Thanks Katie!

PS: If you ever come to MN, I am dragging your butt all over town feeding you. I imagine you’re like me (since we both run) and can eat about every two hours. Which makes you perfect company for me! I get so crabby if I let myself get too hungry! Heh.

1. Oh man, I am so there! Same if you ever want to come to Dallas, girl!

1. Melissa says:

I know SO many people in TX, it’s insane crazy pants.
        My mom’s side of the family is in Amarillo and my friend Mandy moved to Austin a while back. 🙂 I keep meaning to drive to visit the relations with my SO (ROAD TRIP!) and I would totally swing into Dallas! 😉 Probably on the way to Amarillo so I could go to the WFM and get vegan food for my visit. Amarillo is not the most vegan friendly TX town. LOL. The cars run on beef.

17. “Coconut meat”..I’ve never heard it referred to like that, but I like it. Do you watch It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Well, one of the character’s favorite food is milk steak. Totally gross and completely unrelated to coconut meat..but it made me think of it! lmho

1. Milk steak?? LOL I don’t now what that is… but maybe I don’t want to know!

1. chandra says:

It’s called Paneer steak!! It is soooo good, I learned about to make it in India. Basically you boil milk and “make cheese”- add lemon juice to the milk til it’s all crumbly looking, drain the curds and whey (or save it for soups later) over a cheesecloth, catch the cheese, press the cheese ball for a few hours, cut it in strips, fry in oil or ghee, and mix with a tomato sauce. MMMmmm

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Tai coconut for $1???!!!!! Sheesh I want that store! I love drinking the juice out of the fresh coconut! It makes me feel tropical 🙂

I LOVe raw desserts! Raw truffles, cheesecake, ice cream, nummy!

When I first saw this picture, I was like, “Yay! Katie made a chocolate-mint pie!!! I LOVE Chocolate mint!!!” Oh well, coconut is amazing, too!

1. Heck, I don’t see why you couldn’t add mint extract.
      (P.S. I’ve also made a chocolate version that I’m hoping to post about soon, so you could add mint to THAT one!) 🙂

19. melissa @ the delicate place says:

amazed. this looks so good! when i saw it, i thought key lime coconut?! that would be my next flavor experiment 🙂

20. jessica says:

I love to make raw food! I follow a pretty traditional diet most of the time but went all raw for 30 days and had so much fun experimenting with new foods. Two of my favorite things to make are raw banana cashew cream with fresh berries and raw avocado chocolate pudding. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?!

1. Wow, 30 days? That’s awesome… I tried to do one, once. But then I gave up because we had this delicious bread lying around. Ah, no self-control :).