Deep Dish Cookie Pie

What is even better than a warm chocolate chip cookie?

Deep Dish Cookie Pie - The secretly healthy recipe – with over 1,600 positive reader reviews. Everyone loves this pie! If you’ve never tried the recipe, it is highly recommended. Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

If you answered, “Katie, nothing is better than a warm chocolate chip cookie,” you’ve obviously never met a chocolate chip cookie pie… especially not when it is topped with my favorite healthy ice cream recipe.

I could sit here and tell you about how I was in charge of dessert for our neighborhood Memorial Day party. I could tell you about my desire to wow the neighbors with a sinful-tasting finale and then surprise shock them by revealing said sinful dessert was really not so sinful after all. I could tell you how this desire became reality when my dessert was the hit of the party, with everyone raving about it and one neighbor even hiring me to make a pie for her husband’s birthday in June.

But really, you don’t want to know all of this, do you? You just want the recipe.

cookie dough dip chickpeas

cookie-pie.jpg

Perhaps calling it “healthy” is a stretch. After all, there’s still sugar, and there are still chocolate chips. But in comparison to your standard cookie pie—with its plethora of butter, eggs, and white flour—the above version is a much healthier alternative, while still tasting just as naughty. Plus, you get lots of fiber and protein from the oats and chickpeas.

And I promise no one can tell that these ingredients are in there. (Need proof? Just read all of the comments on this post!) This chocolate pie is a real crowd-pleaser, even with people who aren’t used to eating healthy desserts. Imagine cookie dough in the form of a pie.

Side note: If you make 1/4 of the recipe, you can put it in a mini springform pan for a baby pie like the one above. And if you make a half recipe in a shallow pan, you can have a healthy cookie cake like the ones at the Great American Cookie Co in the mall.

Deep Dish Cookie Pie – One of our favorite recipes! It tastes like eating a giant homemade chocolate chip cookie!… Recipe, as featured on ABC News: @choccoveredkt http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com
pin-itDeep Dish Cookie Pie

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos, drained and rinsed (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats or certified-gf quick oats
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (click for a Sugar Free Cookie Pie)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor.) I haven’t calculated the calories for this recipe, but a few of the commenters did. According to their calculations, the pie will have around 200 calories per slice, as opposed to 700 in a slice of traditional deep-dish cookie pie.

EDIT: Full nutrition facts for this recipe are now available in the Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook on page 139.

Link Of The Day:

chocolate-oatmeal-fudge-bars.jpg

Oatmeal Chocolate Fudge Bars

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , , ,

1. OH MY!! I am a huge fan of cookie cake/pie. I cannot believe there are white beans in this recipe. I just have to try it! I’m going to make it for my coworkers and see if they can tell how healthified it is. This might be one of my favorite recipes of yours! Can’t wait to try it 🙂

1. Queen says:

you like it?

1. shannon says:

it’s my fav guilty pleasure!!
        I am making it today with a no bake cheesecake on top 🙂

1. Oh my that sounds so good!!!! Please tell us how it turned out with the Cheesecake toping.

2. Emma says:

Oh my word.
    I think I just gained 5 pounds just from looking at that thing! I cannot believe how healthy something so amazingly Unhealthy-looking could be! Doing a little nutritional counting in my head, it really doesn’t come out too bad. I think you CAN call it healthy. After all, you’re getting whole grains and beans and fruit all packed into one delicious cookie dough pie!

1. Emma says:

And let’s not forget the health benefits of the chocolate chips, right? 😉

1. Jaelyn says:

I made this last night and it was so good. I am only 13 years old and I can’t stop looking on this website for healthy deserts to make my family and friends!

2. lexi says:

i agree

3. Leslie says:

I’ve always said you were a genius. But Katie, this goes beyond genius!

You’ve managed to take what is probably one of the most unhealthy desserts in existence and put a healthy spin on it. I bow down to your geniusness!

4. Holy moly! This looks amazing and the best thing is that it is so huge and only made for one!! 🙂

1. Shade says:

That would certainly be the case if I made this…I’m going to wait to try this recipe until I’m serving a CROWD…I don’t trust myself with it…healthy or NOT! LOL

1. Kahlia says:

I made this tonight to curb an INTENSE sugar craving, and the beauty of this dish (apart from the amazing taste) is that it’s made of hearty ingredients so you can’t actually eat too much without getting ridiculously full! I used half the ingredients because I don’t trust myself (I also replaced the sugar with 4 dates – it was more then sweet enough and I have a mouth full of sweet teeth), figuring that I would most certaintly demolish the entire thing, and I could only get through 1/4 (or 1/8 of the full recipe) before I literally could not force any more down. Perfect if you’re like me and you have a dessert addiction coupled with absolutely no self control 🙂

1. Lelie says:

My cookie with dades is in the oven as we speak! I’m so very curieus!!!

2. sarah caroline says:

Oh, does this just serve one? I have been searching for recipes all day and am feeling dumb! Was it 200 calories for the whole deal? I’m trying to make a birthday treat for a friend who had a heart attack several years ago, he eats so much garbage, I hoped for a “healthier” option, which this surely is, but now I’m confused as to how many this serves. Can anyone who has made it help? Thank you. I am a bit worried about my no food processor also but determined to make this 🙂

1. Megan says:

It’s not clear how many servings are in the pie, but 200 calories is not for the whole pie. 1.5 cups of sugar on it’s own has ~1000 calories. Definitely need to share it!

2. Judy says:

If you have a neighbor who has a food processor (my neighbors and I have that kind of relationship) or if you can borrow one for the special treat, it will really be a better texture, and that’s half of fooling the normally-unhealthy-Joe-who-needs-to-eat-healthier into not realizing that it is quite healthy. Yes, to answer your question, this is awesome for your friend. It does have sugar and chocolate, but dark chocolate has health benefits, and the rest is very healthy, high fiber, and no unhealthy fats. You’re a good friend!

3. CarlyC says:

When I plug the recipe into myfitnesspal I figured it to be 266 cal for 1/12 of the recipe, like a slice of the pie. Hope this helps!

5. Lisa C says:

ZOMG! I have no words.

6. Erika K says:

Oh my chocolate chips. Im with you, completely distracted by all that chocolate melty goodness.

7. Stefanie says:

Yumm!

8. Sarah says:

Printing this recipe as we speak! 🙂 CCK does it again!

9. Just looking at it makes me hungry! This looks absolutely delicious! 😀 Thanks for always sharing your lovely recipes!! 😀

10. Megan says:

One word…AMAZING. I am in awe of your dessert creations! I can bake from recipes but I love your creativity and ability to create your own chocolately (yet healthier) masterpieces! I am seeing a deep-dish Snickerdoodle pie in your future…

11. Vegan Gal says:

Ahhhhh vegan AND healthy AND chocolate?!? Best dessert ever! I’m making this for my next party. In fact I might just have to make up an excuse to have a party, just to make this :).

12. M. says:

I want to dive right in to that first photo, head first!

13. Oh my gosh, you are killing me! No one ever wants to try my desserts because I like to sneak beans and veggies in my baked goods, but I bet the family would eat this 🙂 Genius!

14. Mellie says:

I’m like the comment above…beans in desserts freak me out, but this looks too amazing for words!

15. ohmigawd that looks incredible. i was going to try the blondies first, but this pie version may trum the blondies. 🙂 there is nothing i like like better than a gooey chocolate chip cookie cake.

16. This bean cookie dough is taking over the world.

And I mean that in the very best, “I’m loving it,” kind of way. 🙂

17. Jessica says:

I am like a few other commenters in that beans in desserts are a little strange sounding to me. But Katie, I am seeing your blondies EVERYWHERE! Seriously like every single blog I read. So I think I need to try them, or this cake version. You can’t all be wrong, right?!
    🙂

18. Christine says:

This looks so great, i really want to try this!
    If I will use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate, I’ll probably can cut down the added brown sugar, right?

1. I don’t think it’d be any different. Dark chocolate chips still have sugar :). But you can always cut back on the sugar anyway.

2. sarah caroline says:

If you’re baking for vegans, or just really love chocolate, I have found that vegan chips are soooo much yummier. My theory is that there is more room for chocolate if there is no milk 🙂 And milk adds sugars, so vegan chips just always win for me. Except that I eat way too many out of the bag 😀 (Enjoy Life is the brand we use, found at regular grocery store, yay )

19. Lisa says:

LOVING that pic. it looks so gooey and delicious 🙂

20. FitnessGurl says:

I tweeted this! It looks awesome!