Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Deep Dish Cookie Pie

What is even better than a warm chocolate chip cookie?

Deep Dish Cookie Pie - The secretly healthy recipe – with over 1,600 positive reader reviews. Everyone loves this pie! If you’ve never tried the recipe, it is highly recommended. Full recipe:

If you answered, “Katie, nothing is better than a warm chocolate chip cookie,” you’ve obviously never met a chocolate chip cookie pie… especially not when it is topped with my favorite healthy ice cream recipe.

I could sit here and tell you about how I was in charge of dessert for our neighborhood Memorial Day party. I could tell you about my desire to wow the neighbors with a sinful-tasting finale and then surprise shock them by revealing said sinful dessert was really not so sinful after all. I could tell you how this desire became reality when my dessert was the hit of the party, with everyone raving about it and one neighbor even hiring me to make a pie for her husband’s birthday in June.

But really, you don’t want to know all of this, do you? You just want the recipe.

cookie dough dip chickpeas

Perhaps calling it “healthy” is a stretch. After all, there’s still sugar, and there are still chocolate chips. But in comparison to your standard cookie pie—with its plethora of butter, eggs, and white flour—the above version is a much healthier alternative, while still tasting just as naughty. Plus, you get lots of fiber and protein from the oats and chickpeas.

And I promise no one can tell that these ingredients are in there. (Need proof? Just read all of the comments on this post!) This chocolate pie is a real crowd-pleaser, even with people who aren’t used to eating healthy desserts. Imagine cookie dough in the form of a pie.

Side note: If you make 1/4 of the recipe, you can put it in a mini springform pan for a baby pie like the one above. And if you make a half recipe in a shallow pan, you can have a healthy cookie cake like the ones at the Great American Cookie Co in the mall.

Deep Dish Cookie Pie – One of our favorite recipes! It tastes like eating a giant homemade chocolate chip cookie!… Recipe, as featured on ABC News: @choccoveredkt
pin-itDeep Dish Cookie Pie

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos, drained and rinsed (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats or certified-gf quick oats
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (click for a Sugar Free Cookie Pie)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor.) I haven’t calculated the calories for this recipe, but a few of the commenters did. According to their calculations, the pie will have around 200 calories per slice, as opposed to 700 in a slice of traditional deep-dish cookie pie.

EDIT: Full nutrition facts for this recipe are now available in the Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook on page 139.

Link Of The Day:

Oatmeal Chocolate Fudge Bars

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , , ,

1. I am SO angry with myself because I didn’t pick up chick peas at the store this weekend.. knowing very well that all I wanted to do was make some o fyour blondies.. or even better.. this pie!

2. Emily says:

Best. post. ever. I don’t think there needs to be a question of the day!

3. Jenny says:

WHOA. I think you killed me with that first photo. Cookie pie… Ice cream… Chocolate syrup… Gooey chocolate chips… Umm I think all of us can understand why you’re a little distracted and can’t think of a question of the day. Oh, I know, how about: are you making this already? Unfortunately I don’t think you’d get varied answers; they’d all just be: “Heck yeees!” The blondies were great, so it goes without saying I’m trusting you on this one! 😀

So nice to hear that you and your dessert were the real stars of the party! 😉 Hope you had a fantastic Memorial Day Weekend!

4. anonymous says:

as much as i am loving this pie, i am soooooooooooooo excited for the ice cream recipe you mentioned!
    🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

5. Alyssa says:

That looks sinful!! Too decadent to be vegan and GF!

6. Chelsea says:

Oh goosh…This looks DELICIOUS! I want to try and make it soon!

7. another Sarah says:

Gah this looks so good!!!! Oh my gosh, so so good!!! And I want the ice cream recipe too. All your recipes ROCK!

8. Emily says:

Woah, this looks SO good!

no nonosndnsdfjsldjfakdfjskldjdsf

1. Becka says:

sjlncbklsjeriodfsjlnjfu;ewiahpdfsnlzxcd;lakifhox is right! There are no words!

10. Katie, my mind is boggled over this pie!! Wow! I know what I am making next time I have to make an impressive vegan dessert. This looks sooo amazing.

11. Eric Jaffa says:

Do you have photos of yourself on Memorial Day 2011?

1. Eric Jaffa says:

Are you wearing red, white, and blue in the Memorial Day 2011 photos?

12. Alyssa says:

Holy cannoli!!!!! That looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

13. Caitlin says:

Hey Katie,
    Mine is in the oven! 🙂
    I’d like to say I’m taking it to a party or something. But no, it’s just for me. Maybe I’ll share with my mom if she’s lucky. If it’s even half as good as the raw batter (yes I tasted), I’m going to love you forever! Well, I already do anyway ;).

1. Caitlin says:

Ok, so basically? Best dessert I’ve ever eaten. I am not kidding, Katie. It truly is! Right up there with Friendly’s ice cream sundaes and Cinnabons. But even better, because I don’t feel guilty for indulging, so I was happy AFTER I ate it too!
      Everyone, go make this!!! You will not be sorry! 🙂

2. Melissa says:

Did you use white beans or garbanzo beans? I keep thinking the garbanzo have such a specific flavor that they’d affect the taste of the cookie where the white beans are more mild.

1. Chocolate-Katie says:

I can’t answer specifically for Caitlin, but I do know that many commenters have used white beans and many others have used garbanzos… so I think either is really fine. 🙂

2. sd says:

Oh! Imho, especially for the cookie dough dip, white beans work so much better. The garbanzo beans I think really do have a bit too strong of a taste, especially in the batter.
        I actually just made this earlier using RED beans and even that worked great! I wish I would have added peanut or almond butter to cancel out a bit more of the bean taste tho… still great regardless!

14. I’m waiting to see a news story on a national garbanzo bean shortage as all the blogging world runs out to make your recipes! 😉

1. LOL!!!
      Right now, cans are at $.99… maybe we should stock up? 🙂

15. LOVE YOUUUU!! You make my dreams come true girl 🙂 I am SO making this this week! Do you think I could switch the canola oil for PB? I’d quite like to get nut butter in there somehow! 😛 This has made my DAY and I have no idea how you come up with such amazing things!! I WANT YOUR BRAIN!! 😀

1. I bet you could! Try it… and then send me some. I am STILL without pb here! Must get to whole foods soon!

2. Kelsie says:

I know this is a really late reply to this comment, but whatever =P I used PB in mine in place of canola oil and MAN it was perfect! I also replaced 1 cup of the brown sugar with stevia, the other half with 1 quarter cup agave. I also think I put in less applesauce because of the liquidiness of the agave. I can’t exactly remember. But it was so tasty

16. Abby says:

That gooey goodness looks so yummy!

17. Oh my. That looks incredible, Katie! No wonder people were going crazy over it. I’m going to make this as soon as get home.

18. That looks fantastic—I need to find an excuse to make one, ASAP!

1. Caitlin says:

Heere’s a good excuse for ya: “I need to eat dinner, and this has beans and grains…
      No? Not a good excuse? Darn, I wanted to use it as my own excuse ;).

19. Veronica says:

For some reason, I have not been tempted to try your cookies & blondies made with chickpeas until now. How can I resist this cookie pie?! You’ve beaten me into submission and I couldn’t be happier about it. Have you tried using northern white beans in place of garbanzo? I would think any white bean would work, don’t you?

1. Yup! I actually wrote white beans right into the recipe. I’ve tried it with great northern once, and 1/2 garbanzo-1/2 great northern once. Both worked well!

1. Rose says:

Hi, can you use butter beans?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Of course.

20. Lenna says:

OMG now THAT´s a recipe! You are master of desserts! But I think you already knew it :))