Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Buttery Berry Crumble Bars

Yummy. Sweet.

Crumbly and Buttery.

By the way, did you know that a synonym for buttery is butyraceous? I learned quite a few new words today, thanks to pinguedinous, pomadig, sebaceous, cereous, lardacious…

Pretty sure I’ll never need to use that last one!

I initially thought to use mixed berries in my bars so they’d be patriotic: red and blue. But once they cooked, a deep purple hue (or a porphyrous hue, if we want to extend this post’s new-word trend) completely trumped red and blue. So much for trying to be patriotic!

They’re more violaceous than a Soy-Free Love Potion.

My apologies to Uncle Sam and Betsy Ross. Really, though, the color red is present in too many holidays: Christmas, Valentine’s Day, all our patriotic holidays… It’s not often one gets to celebrate purple!

crumble bars

I told you I’d only post this recipe if everyone liked it at my neighbor’s party. I even had a backup post written, just in case. Luckily, I can save that post for another day, because people went CRAZY for these crumble bars, with their sweet berry filling. They’re everything you’d want from a warm berry crumble, in the convenient form of a bar!

Buttery Berry Crumble Bars

(Makes 10-14 bars)

• 1.5 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour, or Bob’s gluten-free)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (see notes below, for lower-sugar option)
  • pinch stevia OR another tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp cold vegan butter (See calorie link below, for fat-free option. And does anyone want to try this recipe out with coconut oil and tell me if it works?)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (8oz)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Stir together the first eight ingredients, making sure to break the butter up really well so that little crumbs form. Scoop 2/3 of the dough into a 4×7, oiled glass dish (or any small pan), and press down firmly. In a separate bowl, stir together the other ingredients. If using big berries, mash/chop them a little. Layer them into the pan, then top with the rest of the dough from the first pan and press down a bit. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F, then cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. Store uncovered, unless you want a soft crust (in which case, you should cover completely with saran wrap).

See the following post for the Calorie Information.

Due to the fact that I was bringing these to a party with guests accustomed to “regular” desserts, I used more sugar than I normally would (but still less than most recipes call for). If you want a subtly-sweet bar, you can scale back the sugar or try more stevia.

cobbler blur

The crumble bars are whole-grain, fruit-filled, and are made with less fat and sugar than basically every other bar recipe I saw whilst creating this. But the party-goers (none of whom are vegans or “healthy” foodies) devoured every last buttery crumb! 🙂

What are your favorite food textures?

Crunchy? Sticky? Buttery? Or maybe lardacious? Come on, I know you all want your food to be lardacious! My favorite textures are probably creamy, gooey, and fudgey.

Mmm fudgey, like Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge.

Tags: , ,

1. Mmmm those look so GOOD!! I think I have frozen berries in my freezer…maybe I can make these tomorrow then eeeeeee!! 😀

I love fudgey and gooey things. Obviously I have brownies on the mind right now 😉 HAHA just scrolled up and saw you wrote the same thing!! We are seriously TWINSIES I tell you!!

P.S. BEAUTIFUL photo of you!! Your hair is getting long again! 🙂

2. Hana says:

Mmm. fudgey. I like anything that’s smooth and dense and sticks to the roof of my mouth, LOL. & These bars look delicious! And regal too, with the purple. :p I’ll be trying them soon 😀

3. Lisa says:

Haha not a common one for people reading healthy living blogs, huh?
    But anything fried or crispy is my favorite… like fried mozzerella sticks. Yum!

4. Those look fabulous!! I made a gooseberry cobbler yesterday and I guarantee it was MUCH less healthy than your bars – I wish I would have made them instead!

I totally have a food texture issue. I cannot stand anything that resembles rice pudding. There was an incident when I was 5. We’ll just leave it at that. So no cream of wheat, tapioca pudding, etc. I have other texture issues as well – I absolutely hate the sound of crayons on coloring paper. It makes me want to run away screaming.

5. Tara says:

I knew you were going to have to share the recipe with us!! I love when bars like these are crumbly and buttery, but I think my favorite texture is definitely creamy!!

6. Sarahishealthy says:

Oh my gosh, these sound SO good! I know your favorite desserts are chocolate ones, but I am so glad that you think of us readers and make fruit desserts too, because they are MY favorites. I ADORE berry crumble and will definitely be trying these soon!

P.S. I love creamy and rich and chewy, but I hate hate hate the word moist lol!

7. Those look yummy! I love anything chocolate, but crumbles are my SECOND fav dessert for sure 😉 with some ‘ice cream’ on top! Yummm

8. Mmmmmm cannot wait to make these! Maybe with a chocolate syrup on top?

9. Emma says:

Mmmmmm fudgey! Katie, those bars sound so delicious. I love buttery things too. Maybe not lardacious though. I know fourth of July is over, but I’m going to make them today, just for me ;).

10. Chewy gooey goodness…. like the feeling of chopped peanuts and sesame seeds mixed with maltose sugar… yummy
    These bars look amazing!! And seem to cater to my chewy-gooey-yearning-taste buds. 😀

11. Jenny says:

I love “crunch”! Always hated it when cereal got soggy and lost its crunch… Funny enough, though, I’ve always hated battered and fried stuff. In my opinion, the common descriptor for fried stuff — ‘crispy’ — is not at all like ‘crunchy’.

Butter makes everything better… NUT butter does, that is. 😉 These look delicious! And obviously no one cared about the colour thing in the end, anyway~ Great job on yet another fabulous dessert recipe!

1. Erika K says:

I am crazy. I actually like soggy foods! Like Katie’s soggy muffin trick or even soggy cereal. Yup, I’m strange!

1. Jenny says:

Not crazy at all! Just different – as we all should be. 😀 When I think about it a bit more, there are definitely some foods I’d rather have as soft or soggy rather than crunchy – like gooey, fudgy brownies or soft chocolate chip cookies~

12. Erika K says:

I wih I’d seen these bars yesterday! They would’ve been perfect for 4th of July! Now I need to find a new excuse to make them!!!

13. VeggieGirl says:

I love smooth, creamy, slightly crunchy, gooey food textures.

14. Oooh, these look delicious! They’re like hand-held berry crumbles! Yum! 🙂

15. I love the looks of these! Glad they were a hit for you. 🙂 I like a variety of food textures, but I agree with you that fudgey is a great one!

16. VEGirl says:

I love purple! Those are so pretty….

My favorite textures are creamy, liquidy, soft, and dense. It’s no wonder my favorite foods are creamy hot cereal, dense breads, smoothies, and nut butters :). I also love popcorn for some crunch (it’s my favorite kind of crunch– not a big fan of crunchy raw veg).

17. Jess says:

these look great; maybe i’ll try them, amongst others, when i get back from vacation

18. Jennyb says:

Hi from a (lurking) UK reader.

I’m a chewy lover, that and soft. I’m a big dried fruit fan so i’d rather have a chewy fruity bar over a cupcake or cookie with fruit in it.

However i am developing a love for peanut butter too.

I found you looking for healthier recipes rather than Vegan, although my diet is mainly vegetarian sometimes Vegan anyway. Now i have your feed on facebook i won’t miss a post!

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me! 🙂 🙂

19. Leslie says:

Making these today! Haha I feel like I say that a lot about your recipes!

20. Michaela says:

those bars match with your wall perfectly 🙂
    love those bars already! favorite texture… that is a tough question! I really like gooey, creamy and fudgey things (I love eating meals with only a spoon), but I like having something to chew on, so I would definitely add crisp to my list.