Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Healthy Lemon Squares

Healthy Lemon Squares: These might be the best lemon squares you’ll ever find.

Soft homemade lemon squares from @choccoveredkt that have been described by readers as being "the best lemon bar recipe of all time... healthy or not!" Full recipe here:

So it’s a happy coincidence they’re healthy, too! My roommate, who is obsessed with lemon desserts, took one bite and declared these “the best lemon squares on the face of the planet, healthy or not.”

healthy lemon squares

healthy lemon bars

Be sure to stock up on the ingredients, as this is a recipe you’ll want to make over and over again!

Soft homemade lemon bars from @choccoveredkt that have been described by readers as being "the best lemon bar recipe of all time... healthy or not!" Full recipe here:

Healthy Lemon Squares

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• Crust:
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry or white flour (135g)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar (44g)
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (50g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp water or more coconut oil
  • Filling:
  • 1/2 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp lemon juice (90g)
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar or sf powdered sugar (linked above) (28g)
  • 1/16 tsp uncut stevia OR or 2 more tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1 cup MoriNu silken-firm or lite tofu (This is not the same as the tofu in a grocery store’s refrigerator section. See “nutrition facts” link below for where to find this.) (240g)
  • zest of one lemon, optional but recommended for flavor
  • optional: a few drops yellow food coloring or tiny pinch turmeric, for color
Total Time: 1h
Yield: 12-16 healthy lemon squares

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine crust ingredients, either in a food processor or by hand. (Make sure the oil is melted if combining by hand.) Press evenly into a well-greased 8×8 pan. (I used a piece of wax paper over the top, so it was easier to press down.) Cook 10 minutes, while simultaneously combining filling ingredients in a food processor or blender. After crust cooks, pour filling evenly on top and cook another 26 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then fridge uncovered for at least 2 hours (important, as this lets the custard set) before cutting with a sharp knife. If you’re having trouble cutting, leave out just a few minutes so the coconut oil softens. Makes 12-16 squares. These are best stored in the fridge.

View Nutrition Facts + Substitutions

lemon bars

These healthy lemon squares are so good, they have even me questioning my chocolate roots. But don’t worry; I’ve already made a chocolate version. I’m not a complete disgrace to chocolateness!

Tags: , , ,

1. Christie F says:

I’ll have to try making them, then, since my son and I (and my mother-in-law) LOVE most things lemon flavored. MMM. Did you HAVE to tempt me so early in the day??? 😉

2. Amanda says:

Yes! Ask and you shall receive. Thank you for posting this receipe. I love, love, love lemon bars.

1. Karen says:

Yes, thank you! I voted for them the other day, and so of course I went straight out and made them this afternoon after seeing your post this morning. (Thank goodness I live close to a grocery store!)

Katie, they exceeded even my hopes and dreams. I can’t get over the fact that they’re not full of butter and sugar and eggs!

So custardy, and the perfect blend of sweet and tangy. You weren’t kidding when you said they were the best ever. My husband agrees and says to tell you “thank you” ;).

1. Karen says:

Oh, my daughter loved them too! They’ll be going on our regular rotation for sure :).

3. Marissa says:

Lemon bars are one of my fave desserts! I’m going to have to try MoriNu. What makes shelf stable tofu so different from refrigerated tofu? Is it that much of a textural difference?

1. Yes, there’s a big difference. It’s somewhere between firm and silken.

4. Adele says:

I have actually never tried a lemon bar (or cake or whatever) i my life, but I am positive that this will be my first go. They look so fresh and tasty. Lemon bars are actually not that big of a deal in Norway 😛 Maybe this will change the matter. I also love you photos! Could you do a post on how to take good pictures of food? Or maybe you have already? Thank you for a fantastic and inspirational blog, Katie 🙂

1. I thought I’d done more, but apparently I only have one food photography post:

Maybe I should do another… I’ve shied away from it in the past because I’m not a professional by any means. But maybe I should share some of the things I’ve found that work, to help others who struggle with lighting like I do!

1. Maddie says:

That would be absolutely amazing! I love your food photography,it’s always so beautiful. 🙂 Plus then maybe I could manage to get a photo on foodgawker. 😛

5. Suzie says:

Oh yum, those do look delicious! Definitely on my to-make list, thanks!

6. Jamie says:

i was SO excited about these until i found out they had tofu. (totally not blaming you, by the way, i read your nutrition link 🙂 ) the day i found out unfermented soy isn’t actually good for you might have been the worst day of my life (thanks, kimberly snyder lol), i love tofu in just about anything. do you ever worry about eating soy?

1. Sara says:

No need to fear tofu! The Asians have been eating it for centuries and they’re one of the healthiest cultures in the world! Look at Okinawans. They live into their 100s, eating tofu :).

I’d rather trust history than some study that force-fed mass quantities of tofu to rats (which are different from people, and also if you eat mass quantities of anything you’ll get sick!)

1. Emma says:

Katie wrote a really good post about it, a few years back:
        I didn’t know about her blog back then, but I enjoyed finding the post while google searching a few months ago! Oh, and also I am Asian and my grandma eats tofu and is 94 years old :).

2. Tia says:

She’s got it right. I’ve also done a lot of research into the safety of soy consumption and found numerous studies supporting the safety of soy eaten in moderate amounts. The few studies that link soy consumption to negative health results are controversial, use animals, and use ridiculously large amounts of soy. Also, the estrogen-like molecules produced by soy are no where nearly as strong/potent as the estrogen made by your own body. So if you can survive your own estrogen amounts, you should be able to survive soy. 😉

1. Shauna says:

I’ve also read that spraying is a big problem with soy beans, so I try to get organic when I can. But I guess thats an issue with most things now, so what can you do… :S

2. Not everyone is the same. I used to consume ‘moderate’ amounts of organic, non-GMO soymilk and tofu, and it triggered low thyroid disease and estrogen dominance in my body over time. I’m not here to argue against soy, in fact I WISH I could eat the tofu that Katie puts in her pies because they all look so luscious. And not everyone’s body is sensitive. But I had no prior issues with any of this until I started including soy in my diet. I do not follow ‘mainstream research’ because everyone has their own agenda. I sought the advice of a medical doctor who only deals with women’s health and primarily hormonal health and would only treat with natural therapies, alongside a Chinese herbalist…and I learned A LOT of many of cannot tolerate even moderate amounts of non-fermented soy. Also read the book ‘Sexy Hormones’ by Lorna Vanderhaeghe. It REALLY opened my eyes. I also have raw, vegan chef friend who is dealing with an auto-thyroid immune disease, and one of the first things her doc did was yank the soy out of her diet. I felt so much better when I cleaned mine up and then got on the appropriate Chinese meds to re-balance my body. Now I feel great, and if I go near soy or too much sugar it throws me off balance again.
          Again, not here to argue…but just be aware that not all ‘research’ covers all kinds of people, and many researchers have special interests, and not every body is the same. And while soy has been a part of Asian cultures forever, it has only been ‘recently’ introduced into the American diet, which of course can cause issues for people. I realize that most soy sources are cheap and GMO…but mine were not. Everything I consumed came from my local health food store…all organic and non-GMO. Just my experience!

2. Vane says:

I’m with you Jamie.. Fermented soy is safe but I’ve heard bad things about processed soy. The Okinawans do eat soy but not as most people do, as a meat substitute; they eat it the fermented kind and mostly as condiments. Also 90 percent of soy is GMO and heavily sprayed.

1. Jamie says:

thanks for all the info, guys! this is where i got my reasoning (for reference I guess, if you’re interested?):

in her book she also mentions that consuming soy makes you “squishy” i believe was how she worded it, but that it basically makes you unable to look as lean/toned. (she said it, not me!) i wish the nutritionists of the world would get together on this stuff, it’s so confusing!

7. I LOVE lemon bars! If I make these with a gluten free flour I will let you know how they turn out!

8. Oh I just noticed it has tofu, I’m allergic to soy! Haha I won’t ask for a replacement, I saw what you put on the substitutions page!

1. Karen says:

What about soaked, blended cashews?

2. Jamie says:

i made these for easter and they were delicious! you could sub lemon juice for the lime and try them with katie’s crust? i think that would make them even better 🙂

9. Jill says:

Mmm.. love a good lemon bar! Thanks for sharing this!

10. kendra says:

Dang- I cant eat tofu either.

11. Rosie says:

Yummmmmmmmy!!! Can’t wait to try these!!
    I’m from the UK and lemon bars aren’t that big a deal either. HOWEVER, we do have flapjacks (thick, chewy, soft, oaty bars made with golden syrup). But I heard there’s no US equivalent!!

Flapjacks can be fruity OR chocolatey. Chocolate>Fruit but Oaty>EVERYTHINGEVER 🙂

1. Alan Kleesattel says:

I have heard of golden syrup before, what exactly is it?

1. Rosie says:

From what I’ve read, it’s the same as light corn syrup in the US! It’s like a much much much more refined version of black treacle (which is more like molasses)

12. Aja says:

Those look so good! I’m going to have to go to the grocery store today!

13. Rana says:

I just made some kick-butt good lemon squares, but they were all old-school and full of butter. Which I’m not complaining about really, but with your recipe I can have them MORE often! Thank YOU! Good work!

14. Tia says:

So, what is the box equivalent to one cup of the Mori-nu tofu? I buy it all the time but I’ve never blended it up and measured it so I don’t how many boxes it would take to make one cup. 🙂 Is it just the equivalent of a box?

1. Emma says:

My box says it’s 360 grams, and Katie’s recipe says to use 240.

1. Emma says:

Just kidding. It’s 349. But same thing :).

15. kim says:

Is there an option to print your recipes that I am missing ?will copy and paste onto word for now. Looking forward to making these lemon bars!!!!.

1. It’s on my to-do list, but unfortunately I can’t add it at the moment. I’m having issues with a certain plugin on my site, and until I get that fixed it won’t let me add any others!

16. Alan says:

Here are two alternative crust options if you wanting to avoid the oil
    Graham Cracker Crust –
    Pie Crust –

17. Erin says:

Yum, these look awesome! Thanks!

18. Queen Mommy says:

Must buy organic tofu so I can try these! YUM!

19. Barb says:

are there any substitutions for coconut oil in your recipes? i have a hard time finding it, and it would be great if there were substitutions I could use without having to go out searching. Thanks!

1. Michelle says:

Tropical Traditions sells coconut oil. My favorite comes from Garden of Life and I believe I purchased through because the cost savings was amazing.

2. I mentioned that under the “substitutions” link :).

It depends on the recipe, though, as to whether or not you can sub for it.

1. Barb says:

20. YAY i was hoping this would be one of your first recipes…I LOVE lemon squares. Can’t wait to try your version!!