Homemade Frozen Yogurt

Homemade Frozen Yogurt – creamy, dreamy, and so easy to make!

Basic recipe can be customized to match your cravings: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/17/two-ingredient-frozen-yogurt/

Just 2 ingredients to homemade frozen yogurt!

And the BEST part is that you can customize the base for almost any flavor. Strawberry frozen yogurt, chocolate frozen yogurt, peanut butter frozen yogurt (my personal favorite), mocha java chip frozen yogurt, cake batter frozen yogurt… You might already have the ingredients needed to make this homemade frozen yogurt right now.

Yes, right now – even though it’s currently 9 in the morning.

Who says you can’t eat frozen yogurt for breakfast? I mean, you can eat regular yogurt for breakfast and not turn any heads. So breakfast frozen yogurt should totally be a thing! But I digress.

Easy, healthy recipe you can make at home... Make vanilla or different flavors. Definitely trying this! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/17/two-ingredient-frozen-yogurt/ @choccoveredkt

I’m melting!

Oh what a world, what a world…

homemade frozen yogurt

Above, the inevitable hazards of a frozen yogurt photoshoot.

pin-it

Homemade Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Print This Recipe 4.75/5
4.75/54

Ingredients

• 3 cups plain, vanilla, or flavored yogurt of choice (I used 1 large container Wholesoy unsweetened)
  • sweetener to taste, such as stevia or agave or sugar (amount will depend on your yogurt and whether you want tart or sweet froyo. Remember: the finished product will be less sweet, so make it just a little too sweet before freezing.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, unless using vanilla yogurt
Yield: 3 cups

Instructions

How to make homemade frozen yogurt: Stir all ingredients together. If you have an ice cream maker, pour the mix into the machine and process according to your machine’s directions. (My Cuisinart took 12 minutes.) If you don’t have an ice cream machine, see “nutrition facts” link below, for options. To make it swirly, I poured the finished mixture into a piping bag, set it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up even more, and then I squeezed it out. You can simply scoop it out of the machine with a spoon if you’d prefer, and you can put the finished mixture in the freezer for 30-40 minutes if you want a firmer result. Homemade ice cream is best served the day it’s made, but it still tastes delicious for up to a month in the freezer (in an airtight plastic container). If you freeze for more than a day, you’ll probably end up with a frozen block, so just be sure to thaw the ice cream for 15-20 minutes prior to serving. There you go: how to make frozen yogurt!

*View Homemade Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts*

What flavor of homemade frozen yogurt would you make this recipe?

Homemade frozen yogurt recipes! I think adding peanut butter and mini chocolate chips sounds like the perfect frozen yogurt flavor. But since it’s turning into Fall, chopped apples and cinnamon for an apple pie flavor would be good as well. And one can never go wrong with pumpkin…

Link of the Day:

guy food

Chocolate Pumpkin Pizookie – no flour required!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Rachel says:

I LOVE YOU!! Thank you for being the one person to not use a banana for this haha! I’m allergic to bananas and always get so sad when I see the banana soft serve… I’ll def be trying this!

1. lil deli says:

Haha, I was just thinking that! Its always banana isn’t it? Thanks for trying a new way Katie!

1. Same here… I love bananas, but I don’t want everything to taste like bananas…

2. AmAnDa says:

Yum, yum, and YUMMMM 🙂 i can’t wait to make it!

3. Lindsay says:

Hi, Katie!

My sister-in-law told me about your amazing blog, and I have been tuning in every day! I LOVE to cook and can be quite….. eccentric (messy). I never cook the same thing twice, mostly because I go by “feel” rather than measurement, so I can’t follow a recipe to save my life. It’s an art. That said, I am not very good at baking! It’s such a science and totally foreign to me, so thank you for making it exciting, and pretty, and easy to follow!

I was reading The Healthy Home Economist today (http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/) and Sarah has something called Monday Mania every week, “a health and wellness carnival where Real Foodies who blog come together to link up their popular posts.” If you haven’t already, I think this would be a great place to get the word out about your blog! Hope that helps 🙂 Keep up the good work!

~ Lindsay

4. I was wondering what pinkberry ice cream was! This sounds delicious and I definitely will be trying it out! 🙂

5. I would go chocolate for sure. Maybe some sort of fall flavor with pumpkin spice!

1. Layla says:

Pooh, pumpkin spice is good, thanks. You just made me money.

6. Very clever!! Just think how if everyone started making this- all the frozen fro-yo places would not be on every block! They are on every block out here in LA. I like your version: clean and no chemicals or fillers. 😉 nice Katie!

7. vanilla bean. I never tire of the comforting flavor of vanilla bean.

8. Andie says:

Hi Katie! First off, this looks super yummy! (But of course, your recipes always do!) This comment doesn’t really have anything to do with this particular post though…It’s a little bit personal so if you don’t have much time to answer/don’t like that sort of thing, I won’t be offended! I’ve been a huge fan of your blog for a while, and I became a vegan last spring. (I’m 15.) I run a lot (I’m on the cross country team at my school) and I love both running and veganism! I make sure to get all my necessary nutrients (B12, calcium, protein, etc.) However, at my recent checkup, the doctor told me I was deficient in iron, so now I have to take a supplement, so it shouldn’t be a problem. The other slight problem is that I don’t get my period anymore. The doctor told me that I should try to get my weight up. But, I feel perfectly healthy, and when i do stuff my face, I feel sick, sluggish, and unhealthy. My mom is also trying to get me to eat more eggs and dairy products, and of course I don’t want to do that because I love animals. I know you aren’t a certified nutritionist, but being a fellow runner and vegan, do you have any advice? Thank you so much for your time (and sorry this was so long!)

1. Taylor says:

Hi Andie, I know I’m not Katie but I am also a vegan and a runner and have been for a while so I thought I’d give my input. To up your calories try eating healthy fats like avocados, peanut butter and other nut butters, nuts, seeds, chia, coconut milk etc. You are going to need a lot of extra calories with all of the running you do on cross country. Katie has a few blog posts about gaining weight in a healthy way so I suggest looking those up as well. You likely have amenorrhea due to low body weight but I don’t think it is necessary to add animal fats to gain that weight. Just make sure you are getting a lot of calories, and fats (and carbs!) are a good way to do that. Also, try incorporating molasses in your diet to up your iron and calcium. I love making gingerbread oats and smoothies with lots of molasses. Good luck and if you are still having trouble gaining weight please see your doctor! 🙂

1. I definitely agree with all that Taylor said. Listen to your doctor… even if you feel ok, the fact that your body isn’t working properly suggests something’s not ok.

1. Andie says:

Thank you both a bunch for your input! I’ll definitely try the molasses and more calorie-dense foods, so that’ll help.

1. Christi says:

Andie, I’m a fan of this site and also a Registered Dietitian. Definitely agree with the previous comments and just wanted to add. Amenorrhea is a very serious problem; having a regular menstrual cycle is very important to maintain your bone density, especially for a young woman as you will still be building bone until about age 30. Studies show that amenorrhea is usually a result of inadequate calories, despite activity level, so you should be able to take care of this problem without decreasing your exercise- just increase your calories as suggested. Try eating 6 small meals per day if you don’t like eating large amounts at once. As for iron-deficiency, it is common with veganism because iron is not very well-absorbed from plant foods. Vitamin C increases absorption of both iron and calcium, so take your supplement with a Vitamin C source (citrus fruits or juices, other juices with added Vitamin C, or a Vitamin C supplement). Also be sure not to drink coffee or tea within an hour or two after taking the supplement, as this will inhibit the absorption of the iron up to 50%. Hope this is helpful!

2. Annie says:

Wow… I just thought I’d let you know that this info is a god-send for me. Like Andie, I am a runner ( though not cross-country); except im 18 now, and mostly vegetarian (rarely eat meat, limit animal products to fish and occasional egg).
            I lost my period at 14 or 15.
            Been to doctors, didn’t help. Only got it 1 or 2x in interim, little lasting (positive) change. One put me on Type 0 Diet but didn’t work after beginning; felt restricted and miserable when cheated on diet.
            Developed orthorexia/anorexia along the way; constantly depressed – when I was happy I wasn’t for long.
            Only noticed significant improvement when my dad took charge (bc he knows me better than almost anyone else). He insisted I eat small amt after exercise (instead of skipping meals), vary drinks from exclusively water, not force myself to run past my limits (despite determination).
            Probably my best week in that time was when I changed my diet to avoid white carbs, only whole grains & citrus/VitC together; structured exercise – ran or aerobics before each of 6 meals (2med, 1 lg, 3 small), ate more carbs by day and more protein at night. I felt healthier, and happier, than when I was eating less.
            I suspected iron deficiency bc of linked symptoms.

I’ve always struggled with happiness since losing my period… I guess bc of malnutrition as well as my hormones being out of whack.
            I am now on hormone balancing treatment; and trying to incorporate more protein, iron, calcium, fibre, healthy carbs, and proper hydration.
            Though I still haven’t got back my period yet… The treatment’s supposed to last at least 6 months, so I’ve got another 2 months left to see if it works

9. I love making this in my ice cream maker at home, but almost never think 8 hours ahead to freeze my old machine!

10. This sounds great! Trouble is I can’t eat soy or coconut. Has anyone found an unflavored rice yogurt that tastes good? Thanks 🙂

1. I haven’t tried any, but I’ve seen Ricera. Or also, Almande (not rice, but also not soy or coconut).

11. Colleen says:

Lovely pics Katie! You make everything look so amazing! Just thought I would share one awesome reason why making frozen yogurt at home is SUPER beneficial to your health! Unfortunately, frozen yogurt you buy doesn’t have the same standards as yogurt reagarding probiotics 🙁 Sneaky! You can read more here: http://fresh-you.blogspot.com/2012/07/homemade-greek-frozen-yogurt-popsicles.html Have a great day!!!

12. Lauren says:

Making this today!!!

P.S. You accidentally misspelled pinkberry lol. Just thought you’d want to know!

1. Oh wow, I did. *Embarrassed*
      Thank you for letting me know!!

13. Colleen says:

Lovely pics Katie! You make everything look so amazing! I’d go with mocha java chip!! By the way, we made Skinny Snickerdoodles last night — super yummy!! Also, just thought I would share one awesome reason why making frozen yogurt at home is SUPER beneficial to your health! Unfortunately, frozen yogurt you buy doesn’t have the same standards as yogurt regarding probiotics! Sneaky! To see the astounding numbers (unfortunately there aren’t any vegan brands in the comparison — feel free to leave a comment there if you have any more information!), click on my name above, and look up “Frozen Yogurt” in the upper left-hand corner. Have a great day everybody!!!

14. Simple and delicious…..my favorite kind of recipe! I think an oatmeal raisin would be yummy. Maybe add a little granola oat, cinnamon and raisins.

15. Once I have an actual freezer I think I will finally invest in an ice cream maker. It isn’t that they are expensive, but they take up a lo of space!

16. Thanks for this, Katie!! I seriously needed some vegan froyo in my life (I just went to a froyo place yesterday and it really does suck when they only offer 2 sorbet flavours, yet 8-10 dairy-based options!!). I think I will be buying some coconut milk yogurt this afternoon 😉

17. jenica says:

I would make a french toast flavor with vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup. mmm

18. Anonymous says:

i literally crave ice cream everyday, so this will be perfect. can’t wait to try

19. Suzanne says:

I don’t know why I never thought of making my own frozen yogurt. I always get a bit sad when my family goes out for theirs and I don’t partake. Not any more!

20. Lacey says:

I haven’t read all the comments so, bear with me – but has anyone tried doing the fro-yo using the freezer bags and ice/salt? There are all kinds of pins about it on pinterest (make your own ice cream without an ice cream maker!), and I wondered about doing it with yogurt instead of milk, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Can anyone weigh in?