Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Homemade Frozen Yogurt

Homemade Frozen Yogurt – creamy, dreamy, and so easy to make!

Basic recipe can be customized to match your cravings:

Just 2 ingredients to homemade frozen yogurt!

And the BEST part is that you can customize the base for almost any flavor. Strawberry frozen yogurt, chocolate frozen yogurt, peanut butter frozen yogurt (my personal favorite), mocha java chip frozen yogurt, cake batter frozen yogurt… You might already have the ingredients needed to make this homemade frozen yogurt right now.

Yes, right now – even though it’s currently 9 in the morning.

Who says you can’t eat frozen yogurt for breakfast? I mean, you can eat regular yogurt for breakfast and not turn any heads. So breakfast frozen yogurt should totally be a thing! But I digress.

Easy, healthy recipe you can make at home... Make vanilla or different flavors. Definitely trying this! @choccoveredkt

I’m melting!

Oh what a world, what a world…

homemade frozen yogurt

Above, the inevitable hazards of a frozen yogurt photoshoot.

Homemade Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 3 cups plain, vanilla, or flavored yogurt of choice (I used 1 large container Wholesoy unsweetened)
  • sweetener to taste, such as stevia or agave or sugar (amount will depend on your yogurt and whether you want tart or sweet froyo. Remember: the finished product will be less sweet, so make it just a little too sweet before freezing.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, unless using vanilla yogurt
Yield: 3 cups

How to make homemade frozen yogurt: Stir all ingredients together. If you have an ice cream maker, pour the mix into the machine and process according to your machine’s directions. (My Cuisinart took 12 minutes.) If you don’t have an ice cream machine, see “nutrition facts” link below, for options. To make it swirly, I poured the finished mixture into a piping bag, set it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up even more, and then I squeezed it out. You can simply scoop it out of the machine with a spoon if you’d prefer, and you can put the finished mixture in the freezer for 30-40 minutes if you want a firmer result. Homemade ice cream is best served the day it’s made, but it still tastes delicious for up to a month in the freezer (in an airtight plastic container). If you freeze for more than a day, you’ll probably end up with a frozen block, so just be sure to thaw the ice cream for 15-20 minutes prior to serving. There you go: how to make frozen yogurt!

*View Homemade Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts*

What flavor of homemade frozen yogurt would you make this recipe?

Homemade frozen yogurt recipes! I think adding peanut butter and mini chocolate chips sounds like the perfect frozen yogurt flavor. But since it’s turning into Fall, chopped apples and cinnamon for an apple pie flavor would be good as well. And one can never go wrong with pumpkin…

Link of the Day:

guy food

Chocolate Pumpkin Pizookie – no flour required!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Rachel says:

I LOVE YOU!! Thank you for being the one person to not use a banana for this haha! I’m allergic to bananas and always get so sad when I see the banana soft serve… I’ll def be trying this!

1. lil deli says:

Haha, I was just thinking that! Its always banana isn’t it? Thanks for trying a new way Katie!

1. Same here… I love bananas, but I don’t want everything to taste like bananas…

2. AmAnDa says:

Yum, yum, and YUMMMM :) i can’t wait to make it!

3. Lindsay says:

Hi, Katie!

My sister-in-law told me about your amazing blog, and I have been tuning in every day! I LOVE to cook and can be quite….. eccentric (messy). I never cook the same thing twice, mostly because I go by “feel” rather than measurement, so I can’t follow a recipe to save my life. It’s an art. That said, I am not very good at baking! It’s such a science and totally foreign to me, so thank you for making it exciting, and pretty, and easy to follow!

I was reading The Healthy Home Economist today ( and Sarah has something called Monday Mania every week, “a health and wellness carnival where Real Foodies who blog come together to link up their popular posts.” If you haven’t already, I think this would be a great place to get the word out about your blog! Hope that helps :) Keep up the good work!

~ Lindsay

4. I was wondering what pinkberry ice cream was! This sounds delicious and I definitely will be trying it out! :)

5. I would go chocolate for sure. Maybe some sort of fall flavor with pumpkin spice!

1. Layla says:

Pooh, pumpkin spice is good, thanks. You just made me money.

6. Very clever!! Just think how if everyone started making this- all the frozen fro-yo places would not be on every block! They are on every block out here in LA. I like your version: clean and no chemicals or fillers. 😉 nice Katie!

7. vanilla bean. I never tire of the comforting flavor of vanilla bean.

8. Andie says:

Hi Katie! First off, this looks super yummy! (But of course, your recipes always do!) This comment doesn’t really have anything to do with this particular post though…It’s a little bit personal so if you don’t have much time to answer/don’t like that sort of thing, I won’t be offended! I’ve been a huge fan of your blog for a while, and I became a vegan last spring. (I’m 15.) I run a lot (I’m on the cross country team at my school) and I love both running and veganism! I make sure to get all my necessary nutrients (B12, calcium, protein, etc.) However, at my recent checkup, the doctor told me I was deficient in iron, so now I have to take a supplement, so it shouldn’t be a problem. The other slight problem is that I don’t get my period anymore. The doctor told me that I should try to get my weight up. But, I feel perfectly healthy, and when i do stuff my face, I feel sick, sluggish, and unhealthy. My mom is also trying to get me to eat more eggs and dairy products, and of course I don’t want to do that because I love animals. I know you aren’t a certified nutritionist, but being a fellow runner and vegan, do you have any advice? Thank you so much for your time (and sorry this was so long!)

1. Taylor says:

Hi Andie, I know I’m not Katie but I am also a vegan and a runner and have been for a while so I thought I’d give my input. To up your calories try eating healthy fats like avocados, peanut butter and other nut butters, nuts, seeds, chia, coconut milk etc. You are going to need a lot of extra calories with all of the running you do on cross country. Katie has a few blog posts about gaining weight in a healthy way so I suggest looking those up as well. You likely have amenorrhea due to low body weight but I don’t think it is necessary to add animal fats to gain that weight. Just make sure you are getting a lot of calories, and fats (and carbs!) are a good way to do that. Also, try incorporating molasses in your diet to up your iron and calcium. I love making gingerbread oats and smoothies with lots of molasses. Good luck and if you are still having trouble gaining weight please see your doctor! :)

1. I definitely agree with all that Taylor said. Listen to your doctor… even if you feel ok, the fact that your body isn’t working properly suggests something’s not ok.

1. Andie says:

Thank you both a bunch for your input! I’ll definitely try the molasses and more calorie-dense foods, so that’ll help.

1. Christi says:

Andie, I’m a fan of this site and also a Registered Dietitian. Definitely agree with the previous comments and just wanted to add. Amenorrhea is a very serious problem; having a regular menstrual cycle is very important to maintain your bone density, especially for a young woman as you will still be building bone until about age 30. Studies show that amenorrhea is usually a result of inadequate calories, despite activity level, so you should be able to take care of this problem without decreasing your exercise- just increase your calories as suggested. Try eating 6 small meals per day if you don’t like eating large amounts at once. As for iron-deficiency, it is common with veganism because iron is not very well-absorbed from plant foods. Vitamin C increases absorption of both iron and calcium, so take your supplement with a Vitamin C source (citrus fruits or juices, other juices with added Vitamin C, or a Vitamin C supplement). Also be sure not to drink coffee or tea within an hour or two after taking the supplement, as this will inhibit the absorption of the iron up to 50%. Hope this is helpful!

2. Annie says:

Wow… I just thought I’d let you know that this info is a god-send for me. Like Andie, I am a runner ( though not cross-country); except im 18 now, and mostly vegetarian (rarely eat meat, limit animal products to fish and occasional egg).
            I lost my period at 14 or 15.
            Been to doctors, didn’t help. Only got it 1 or 2x in interim, little lasting (positive) change. One put me on Type 0 Diet but didn’t work after beginning; felt restricted and miserable when cheated on diet.
            Developed orthorexia/anorexia along the way; constantly depressed – when I was happy I wasn’t for long.
            Only noticed significant improvement when my dad took charge (bc he knows me better than almost anyone else). He insisted I eat small amt after exercise (instead of skipping meals), vary drinks from exclusively water, not force myself to run past my limits (despite determination).
            Probably my best week in that time was when I changed my diet to avoid white carbs, only whole grains & citrus/VitC together; structured exercise – ran or aerobics before each of 6 meals (2med, 1 lg, 3 small), ate more carbs by day and more protein at night. I felt healthier, and happier, than when I was eating less.
            I suspected iron deficiency bc of linked symptoms.

I’ve always struggled with happiness since losing my period… I guess bc of malnutrition as well as my hormones being out of whack.
            I am now on hormone balancing treatment; and trying to incorporate more protein, iron, calcium, fibre, healthy carbs, and proper hydration.
            Though I still haven’t got back my period yet… The treatment’s supposed to last at least 6 months, so I’ve got another 2 months left to see if it works

9. I love making this in my ice cream maker at home, but almost never think 8 hours ahead to freeze my old machine!

10. This sounds great! Trouble is I can’t eat soy or coconut. Has anyone found an unflavored rice yogurt that tastes good? Thanks :)

1. I haven’t tried any, but I’ve seen Ricera. Or also, Almande (not rice, but also not soy or coconut).

11. Colleen says:

Lovely pics Katie! You make everything look so amazing! Just thought I would share one awesome reason why making frozen yogurt at home is SUPER beneficial to your health! Unfortunately, frozen yogurt you buy doesn’t have the same standards as yogurt reagarding probiotics :( Sneaky! You can read more here: Have a great day!!!

12. Lauren says:

Making this today!!!

P.S. You accidentally misspelled pinkberry lol. Just thought you’d want to know!

1. Oh wow, I did. *Embarrassed*
      Thank you for letting me know!!

13. Colleen says:

Lovely pics Katie! You make everything look so amazing! I’d go with mocha java chip!! By the way, we made Skinny Snickerdoodles last night — super yummy!! Also, just thought I would share one awesome reason why making frozen yogurt at home is SUPER beneficial to your health! Unfortunately, frozen yogurt you buy doesn’t have the same standards as yogurt regarding probiotics! Sneaky! To see the astounding numbers (unfortunately there aren’t any vegan brands in the comparison — feel free to leave a comment there if you have any more information!), click on my name above, and look up “Frozen Yogurt” in the upper left-hand corner. Have a great day everybody!!!

14. Simple and delicious… favorite kind of recipe! I think an oatmeal raisin would be yummy. Maybe add a little granola oat, cinnamon and raisins.

15. Once I have an actual freezer I think I will finally invest in an ice cream maker. It isn’t that they are expensive, but they take up a lo of space!

16. Thanks for this, Katie!! I seriously needed some vegan froyo in my life (I just went to a froyo place yesterday and it really does suck when they only offer 2 sorbet flavours, yet 8-10 dairy-based options!!). I think I will be buying some coconut milk yogurt this afternoon 😉

17. jenica says:

I would make a french toast flavor with vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup. mmm

18. Anonymous says:

i literally crave ice cream everyday, so this will be perfect. can’t wait to try

19. Suzanne says:

I don’t know why I never thought of making my own frozen yogurt. I always get a bit sad when my family goes out for theirs and I don’t partake. Not any more!

20. Lacey says:

I haven’t read all the comments so, bear with me – but has anyone tried doing the fro-yo using the freezer bags and ice/salt? There are all kinds of pins about it on pinterest (make your own ice cream without an ice cream maker!), and I wondered about doing it with yogurt instead of milk, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Can anyone weigh in?

21. Hello! I Love your site and know you use a vitamix blender if I’m correct? I was just wondering (as I am looking into a new blender) would you recommend it? It seems very expensive for a blender but I did use my blender at least once a day. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated! :)

Check out my latest recipe, review & giveaway @ Baking Blissful

22. Nixie says:

Hello Katie!

I don’t have an ice cream maker so every time I try and do the ice cream recipes, they come out super icy. And I feel like buying a one-use machine “Uni-Tasker” is such a waste of space.
    :( Kudos to you!

xoxo Nicole

1. Annie says:

I sympathize

23. This looks so lush!
    I always freeze my yoghurts. They don’t turn out like a soft serve like yours but still amazing :)

24. Andrea says:

Hi CCK I have become addicted to your blog is like heaven for people like me who thought life will be lame after becoming lactose intolerant and often the lactose free products don’t taste good (specially because I live in central america where the options are so little) but finding your blog is a blessing, I’m trying as many recipes as I can and my family wouldn’t believe that they are healthy and vegan, thanks so much and keep up the good work, tons of hugs =)

25. Frozen yoghurt is a superb dessert option. A really great inbetween if you didn’t want to quite splash out as far as ice cream.

26. Laura says:

Man I wish we had more vegan things in my area. There are plenty of dairy-free milks at our Walmart, but then they usually have like two pints of vanilla flavored so delicious ice cream(goodness knows how long they have been sitting there). I did find out that one of the grocery stores here carries Daiya, but still none carry any non-dairy yogurts or ice creams.

27. This looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it. It’s such a great base recipe too! I’m just curious why it loses sweetness after its frozen? Just wondering! I’ve never heard that before, very interesting and good to know!

28. LOVING fro-yo lately. This looks great. And yes, the woes of photographing any frozen treat – fun times! 😉

29. carolyn says:

This is easy enough I might need to try it…
    By the way, I followed you on Twitter.

1. olivia ray says:

ha ha ha

30. Rachele says:

I love the lychee froyo at Pinkberry, topped with fresh squeezed lime juice. Yum!! But we moved to across the country and I haven’t had any for a few months. Can not wait to try this, Kaity!! Thank you!!

31. cd says:

Yay, thanks. I tried doing this myself in the past and it didn’t work for me but I will follow your instructions to the letter and see if I have more success. Peach melba flavour would be good to make the most of the stone fruits before their season ends.

32. Bek @ Crave says:

Ohhh I like this! I’d add pb for sure 😉

33. Holly says:

That too looks super delicious.

34. steinbe says:

I pinned this fabulous dessert! Can’t wait to try it!

35. Rodzilla says:

how is this any different than just freezing regular low fat yogurt? this won’t give a self-serve froyo type consistency.

1. Laura says:

It’s sad when someone doesn’t even bother to read the post before making a snarky comment. Go back and read CCK’s recipe directions again.

1. Rodzilla says:

no, no. I read…that’s where my confusion is coming from.

1. aw thanks for letting me know!

36. R says:

Hi, I just recently found your blog and I love it. I have a question. I like to pin your recipes. (I like my stuff all in one place.) But I notice when I pin one of your recipes, when the description box comes up, the title of the recipe automatically is there, but The blog name is not there. Sometimes I type it in, but it’s rather long, and I’d rather it came up automatically. : ) This way you get credit, and I can quickly post and later find my healthier version among my not so healthy pins. I guess this is a suggestion more than a question.

1. I’m trying to remember to do that now :).

37. Kitty Bea says:

Have you ever made ice “cream” with frozen bananas? It’s amazing, you just put the frozen, broken up bananas in a food processor or blender and it gets to the texture of ice cream/frozen yogurt. You could come up with recipe ideas with different flavors. :)

And can you make your sorta recipes without an ice cream maker?

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

Yes, you can freeze and re-blend in a vita-mix.
      Or you can turn the mixture into popsicles!

38. Breyana says:

Will a blender work or do I have to use an ice cream maker?

39. Bob Tuel says:

You can add a scoop of Vi Shake MIX ..

40. Raina says:

Omg this looks so easy! I just put some in the freezer and imma just mix it every once in a while. Thanks for the recipe! I mixed in strawberries (yummeh)

41. Dee says:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for adding the additional info about what to do if you don’t have an ice cream maker. I’ll be making this immediately. :)

42. Brad says:

the picture is so delicious, i want to try this immediately…heading towards the kitchen!!

43. kate says:

I’ve heard that adding gelatin, arrowroot, alcohol, or xanthan gum helps to prevent the ice cream from freezing like a solid block. I know you are vegan and would not use gelatin, but I am not sure about how the other ingredients will turn out… I think I’m going to try arrowroot with your recipes since it has health benefits. I just get so sad when I have a wonderfully delicious ice cream that turns into a wonderfully delicious (but almost inedible) icy block D:

44. Brianna says:

this frozen yogurt is great! I made a bunch of it!

45. Anoushe says:

Hi Katie,
    Your blog is amazing! My mom and I keep on sending eachother recipes that we want the other person to make and I always find myself spending hours bookmarking everything I want to try! I was thinking of getting an ice cream maker because we really love frozen yoghurt, but living in Switzerland only have one store selling it (and it closes at 7!!) so I was wondering what exact brand you would recommend? I know you use a cuisine art, but what model?

Thank you for being so amazing! Keep up the inspirational work :)

46. Tera W says:

Hi Katie, First I HAVE to let you know that your recipes CHANGED my life!! (Lol) My daughter went from thinking I was a super nagging mother who only gave her healthy food,to helping me make some amazing good snacks pretty much daily for the last week! ( I have yet to make any chick pea or bean based recipes because I know she wouldnt try it knowing the sweet treats have bean base!) I was wondering how you would make your mocha java chip frozen yogurt, Ive oonly been able to find ice cream recipes. I think this frozen yogurt post is from awhile ago but Id love to get your recipe….everything Ive made has been GREAT!! YOUR VERY TALENTED!!!

1. Aw Tera, this comment really made me smile :).
      I have a coffee ice cream recipe, but not frozen yogurt… I’d maybe try adding 1/2 tsp instant coffee (like Mt. Hagan brand) to this recipe or to the Brownie Batter Frozen yogurt recipe. And then add some mini chocolate chips after churning?

1. Tera W says:

Its always SO nice to make someone smile!! Your very gracious, Im sure you get alot of compliments!! Your blog is GREAT & its SO nice of you to reply to the comments!! I will definitely try those recipes! We just got an icecream maker & to tell you the truth im NOT really impressed with it. Its a mini & we end up trying half recipe in the machine & half w/out and it turns out about the same. It actually seems easier to make the frozen yogurt w/out it! Havent tried the icecream yet tho! I’ve had more success with other recipes that dont call for freezing!! Thank you again!!! Keep the new ideas coming! Lol..I dont know HOW you do it & have a life besides!!

47. Jess says:

I made mango!! Also mixed in some coconut milk, made it extra creamy!

48. Carolyn says:

Thank you so much for this! I had some yogurt I needed to use and had been wanting to use our plastic popsicle moulds for a while. Worked a treat!

49. Samantha says:

Thanks! I just tried this, but with no ice cream maker, I just put it in a 28 degree freezer. We’ll see how it turns out! I also am on the GAPS diet and have leaky gut and my mom was so happy when she saw this, it is actually kind of similar to a recipe on a GAP diet website, But that called for Bananas:( Thank You for the recipe:)

50. Barry Smith says:

Can you do this without sugar, I’m not a big fan of sugar.

51. janet says:

Hello, I was just wondering if yo know of any places where I can order the tart flavor to ad to my yummy frozen yogurt. There was a yogurt shop a couple blocks away from me a month ago, but they moved. I used to buy if from them, and oh my gosh was it ever good! The best. Cherry and peach are my favorite. Any help, would be nice

52. Devora says:

I hate bananas!

53. Carissa Laudan says:

Thank you Katie, this is my first time reading your amazing blog. I have been making my own home made yogurt from the milk I get from my goats and wanted to turn it into ice cream. I grow my own garden to so I have strawberries, blackberries, and other fruits to add to it for flavoring. Other recipes for ice cream called for heavy cream and eggs to add to milk to make it thick and creamy not icy, would you add those to yogurt?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I wouldn’t, as I have never heard of a yogurt recipe with eggs or heavy cream. Would probably be too heavy?

54. Eva says:

Hi! Has anyone tried to make sweet frozen yogurt? I’m not sure how much of sugar I should put in for it to taste sweet.

55. Elsa says:

I’m Elsa
    You have a geart website
    I’m from Iran
    I hope you come to my blog
    Have a nice time

56. Bubbly576 says:

I don’t have an ice cream maker- can I make this with rock salt instead? Thanks!

1. Bubbly576 says:

Also, can you add fruits to this? How do you make different flavors ie. mango, strawberry, coconut, etc?

57. Natalya says:

Thank you so much for posting this frozen yogurt recipe! I’m going to try it out on my birthday (Sunday) with a dollop of sunbutter and a few mini chocolate chips. :) I can’t have any milk, not even lactose-free, so I was really glad when this one just had yogurt and sweetener. Greek yogurt would work too because I’ve had frozen Greek yogurt before and it was pretty delicious!

58. Pat says:

Do you have recipes using coconut flour?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try her coconut flour zucchini brownies! The best!

59. Inês says:

Hi Katie I tried so many times to look for a heathy frozen yogurt recipe that I can’t believe that I finally found it. I only have a couple of questions. First one do you think it will work with non fat yogurt? Second one can I make half of the recipe (my measurements are in grams since I’m portuguese and I think I don’t have right now 3 cups but only 470 grams= 2 cups). Do you have any suggestions to add or advice? I also have a ice cream machine so I put the mix in the container and put it to work and then I put in the freezer) Sorry for all the questions. I’m discovering your blog and I’m completely in love with it :)

60. sgcr says:

The Wholesoy vanilla frozen yogurt was WONDERFUL. I had just bought a Cuisinart from Penney’s for $39 + tax on sale….offering me a coupon and discounted further for filling out their appl. for their instant chg. card which I will tear up when received in mail and pay for just the one time purchase 😉 How NICE to eat frozen dessert without the added stuff I can’t have. When Wholesoy (the best) gets their plain unsweetened, only avail. in large size with two other lrg. variations, back out on the market, soon, I can really do some fun things with it like dip.. and especially so I don’t have to use many of the little ones to freeze in the Cuisinart. Thank you!

61. Philip says:

i just made ..its nice and tastes good

62. Chelsea says:

I’d make me some chocolate peanut butter flavor with this :-). Or just peanut butter. I’d invest in powdered peanut butter for this (along with an ice cream maker…)

63. rose says:

can i make this in a blender ?

64. olivia ray says:

can you make frozen yogurt without yogurt
    if so please post it I need it for my b-day party

65. Thanks so much for this delicious recipe! I’m trying it out right now – I’m sure it will turn out amazing. I especially like your piping bag idea.

66. Layla says:

I love this recipe. One day when I was having my period I ate it for 3 meals a day. Delish.

67. Linda Smith says:

I made the simple frozen yogurt recipe with only a couple of ingredients and it turned icy in the freezer. Is it supposed to do that?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Due to the lack of preservatives or artificial ingredients in homemade ice creams, yes they will turn icy when frozen for prolonged periods of time. Just thaw 20-30 minutes before scooping and you should be fine 😉

68. Danielle says:

69. Samantha says:

Hi CCK!

Do you think this would work just as well with So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt? Thanks :)

70. Marri says:

This is so simple I don’t know why I did not think of it. This satisfies my urge for ice cream and I like knowing I am eating something that is good for me and has lots of protein, too.

71. Maddie Azzopardi says:

This looks awesome and so excited to make it as I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE frozen yogurt !!!! Thanks for the great recipe 👍 also by any chance does it always take 12 minutes in a icecream maker or varies between machine ? Thanks 😉👍

72. Nora says: