Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Vegan Peanut Butter Chips

Vegan peanut butter chips – healthy and homemade!

NO corn syrup, NO refined sugar, NO trans fat - Healthy Peanut Butter Chips: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/22/healthy-homemade-vegan-peanut-butter-chips/

Less than a minute to make… and they literally MELT in your mouth!

More addictive than the most addictive thing you’ve ever eaten. these homemade peanut butter chips are also healthier than packaged chips (no partially-hydrogenated oils, refined sugar, artificial flavors, or corn syrup solids in these vegan peanut butter chips), and they taste a million times better.

Healthy Peanut Butter Chips

You only need 3 ingredients!

However, you will want to eat them all without sharing, so be sure that you plan accordingly. (Do you remember Earl, my alligator friend who protects my food? I’m now willing to rent him out to whomever offers me the most chocolate in return. Let the bidding commence.)

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 4 tbsp virign coconut oil or cacao butter (40g)
  • 8 leveled tbsp peanut flour (PB2 or Betty Lou’s) (48g)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (14g) (For a sugar-free version, replace the maple syrup with 1 extra tbsp oil and stevia drops to taste.)
Total Time: 10m

Instructions

Peanut butter chips recipe: Melt the first ingredient if it’s not already liquid. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir well to form a paste. (Note: I personally much prefer the taste of the chips when made with coconut oil. However, use the cacao butter if you wish to bake with the chips.) Smooth into candy molds or onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper, and freeze until solid. If using the wax/parchment option, break chips into pieces once fitm. The coconut version of these vegan peanut butter chips should be stored in the freezer; the cacao butter version can be stored in the fridge, freezer, or at room temperature.

*View Peanut Butter Chips Nutrition Facts*

Homemade Peanut Butter Chips: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/22/healthy-homemade-vegan-peanut-butter-chips/

Question of the Day:

Do you ever worry about food thieves?

When someone in his office stole Ross’s sandwich (on Friends), I figured it was just exaggerated slapstick comedy. But in my first year of college, I learned those types of food thieves really do exist. Girls in my dorm took to writing on their containers, “I have a cold. Steal my food and you’ll get my germs,” yet the thieves still persisted. My roommate says it happens in her office as well, with people routinely taking coworkers’ lunches. Thankfully, the only one who ever steals my food nowadays is Henry.

LINK OF THE DAY:

cookie dough baked oatmeal

.Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

1. I love how EASY these look to make! Definitely adding these to the bookmarks to make soon.

2. Lisa says:

Ohhh what a fabulous idea! I’ve only done this with cacao powder and coconut oil, but never thought of peanut flour. Love it.

3. This is one of those recipes that looks so good and simple I almost wish I hadn’t seen it because I know it’s gonna get me in trouble!

4. I like how they look like little jewels. Little peanut butter jewels. Do you think they would melt if I made them into one of those candy necklaces? Or a bracelet? They probably won’t last long enough for that.

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

If you use the cacao butter version, I think it would work. Maybe not outside, in the middle of the summer, but if you’re indoors it should be fine.

5. I love the shape of your chips! They’re cute!

6. Danielle says:

These looks great! I’m very careful to stay away from hydrogenated oils. Thanks!

7. Sara says:

YUM, I love just about anything with PB in it!! These look so tasty, and its amazing how cute they turned out considering there is only 3 ingredients! Looks like you spent half a day making them in a confectioner’s shop!

8. These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them! But I have a peanut allergy, so I’ll try making these with sunflower seed or almond flour and report back. :)
    The only food thief I have to worry about is my friend who likes to check my lunch box at school. Sometimes, my chips like to mysteriously disappear…. 😉

9. Ooh I love that you made these with peanut flour! I can only imagine how melt-in-your-mouth they are – coconut oil has that effect on everything. Amazing!

10. I love that these have no hydrogenated oils in them! I hate peanut butter that has them so this is fantastic!

11. Karrie says:

Thank you for what you do. Everything I have ever tried has been wonderful!

I hope you don’t mind a whole post dedicated to you? :)

12. I’ve never found cocoa butter in a store, but i definitely think it’s worth ordering online to make this! :)

13. Kitty Bea says:

Why would I want to make the more addictive recipe than the most addictive thing I’ve ever eaten? XD jk, this recipe looks like a keeper. 😀

14. Cerissa says:

What a fabulous recipe!!! Thank you!

Just in case anyone is looking for peanut flour… this is the best I have found for the price: http://www.iherb.com/Protein-Plus-Roasted-All-Natural-Peanut-Flour-32-oz-907-g/36231
    It doesn’t have anything added to it (like PB2 does) and it is a little higher in protein. I think it is the same one Trader Joe use to carry.

15. Too bad that peanut flour is hard to get outside the US… =/

1. M says:

Make your own!

16. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy!

17. Caitie says:

First thought when I saw these: “Oooh, I bet those would be good to melt into some oatmeal!” (Since I already like PB2 in my overnight oats. Second thought: O.O For once, I have EVERYTHING I need for this at home. Must make now! XD Sounds like an awesome idea. I can’t wait to try it out. 😀

18. Oh my gosh you are my best friend! I am addicted to peanut butter chips and now I have a healthy, fast, and easy version? Like I said, I already loved your blog, but now … :)
    Would these work in cookies or brownies?
    Thanks and pinning!

1. Yes, the cacao butter version.

19. Caitie says:

First thought when I saw these: “Oooh, I bet you could melt one or two of these into your oatmeal and it would be awesome!” (As I usually enjoy my overnight oats with PB2). Second thought: “O.O For once, I actually have EVERYTHING I need to make something. Must make now!” Haha, it sounds like a pretty cool idea. Can’t wait to try it out. 😀

20. Rebecca says:

Oh my goodness, this recipe just made my day! I had all the ingredients (I went with the coconut oil) on hand and I’m about to eat the entire batch without sharing! They are so yummy!

21. Hannah says:

I want this. 0_0

Food thieves? Only when I’ve got one of these recipes cooked up in my freezer, then yes, I definitely worry about food thieves! 😉 Only my mother and sisters, though.

22. I love this idea, it’s so easy to make 😀 I have to make these peanut butter chips for my peanut butter loving boyfriend!

23. jenlp says:

yup, this is delicious!

24. Clarissa says:

These look amazing!! Could you please make butterscotch chips??

Also, do you think you can bake with these chips, or are they strictly for snacking?

1. Cacao butter version is good for baking.

25. Thank god for a much healthier peanut butter chip recipe! They sure are delicious but I hesitate buying them because I just can’t stomach the ingredient list. I sure wish we had a whole foods/trader joes here because PB2 or any kind of peanut flour is just impossible to find in Canada.

26. Theses are really creative and look awesome! Thanks for putting this one out there : ) My old job had food thieves, once you get over the grossness, its pretty funny!

27. Sadye says:

I don’t worry about food thieves, though one did steal half of my lunch once. I sort of had to laugh, because the thief left my carrots but took the bagel … guess the thief wasn’t interested in a balanced diet!

28. Carolyn says:

love it! does pb2 work?

29. Allie C. says:

I bet these would be awesome made with honey and a sprinkle of salt. Yum yum yum.

30. I’m scared to make these purely for the fact that I don’t know if I could not eat them all right away!!

31. Mel Bowman says:

I’d love to see a “what’s in my pantry/fridge” post. Your recipes are so awesome, I always want to run and try them immediately. Unfortunately, I almost *never* have all the ingredients on hand (I’ve never even heard of peanut flour). I’ve been collecting various things over the last several months I’ve been following you, but I feel like there’s still a lot I’m missing.

1. I have a general list of staples on my “recipe faq” page.

I’ve thought about doing a “what’s in my pantry” post in the past, but the truth is that it always changes! :)

1. Anonymous says:

Oh, I hadn’t seen that. I’ll go look. Thanks!

I made your flourless chocolate chip cookie recipe yesterday and OH it was so good! And that batter!

32. Mellissa says:

Can you make this with regular organic peanut butter (just peanuts and salt)?

1. You can… the texture is just more melty.

33. Sean Cane says:

Um. How does delicious sound! These look awesome.

34. Anonymous says:

Why can’t you use regular plain old peanut butter instead of powder? Wouldn’t that taste better, or absorb the other ingredients better?

1. Nope. The texture is actually better with peanut flour, although it technically does work with regular peanut butter.

35. Aviva says:

Hi can’t wait to make these! Can you bake with the Peanut Butter Chips??

36. Nicole @ FruitnFitness says:

These sound amazing! How can you not love peanut buttery goodness?! And thes sound so easy!

37. trajayjay says:

This is cool. I believe what happens is if you add 1 tbsp of oil to pb2, it reconstitutes to 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
    What seems to have been done is that the liquid oil has been removed from the peanuts, and an equal solid fat has been added in it’s place. So basically it should have the same fat content of regular peanut butter.

38. Denae says:

Oops…in my rush to make these, I didn’t notice it uses peanut FLOUR, not peanut BUTTER. Oh well, I’m sure the end result will still be tasty. It’s in the freezer right now.

1. Denae says:

Well, the peanut butter instead of flour worked just fine. They were delicious! Not sure how it compares to the flour version, though. But I recommend my version. They were very melty and smooth.

39. Kelsey says:

These look sooo good- bet they’d be even better dipped in chocolate!!! :)

1. Mel says:

Everything is better dipped in chocolate…

40. Mina says:

I AM A FOOD THIEF!

I can’t control my cravings for sweets so if my room mates have certain triggers like nutella or ice cream I’ll always take some shamefully, cramming it into my mouth as fast as possible and hoping they don’t see :(

Sorry food protectors of the world!

41. Rosa says:

this is insane! this morning i was thinking “i need to google how to make peanut butter chips, they would go great with my oatmeal”. then i come home to see this awesome post! thanx katie!

42. marya says:

Arghhhh! You beat me to it! I’ve been thinking of doing a cacao-based peanut butter chocolate for months and I never got around to it. Your recipe looks great :)

43. Stephi says:

Oh my, these look so good!!

44. Jenna says:

Peanut butter chips – wow thay sound so darn scrummy I want them now! Am out shopping tomorrow for the ingredients. Thank you.

45. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Shoot, no peanut flour! Man, my day just got 10x worse.
    Uh, you think food thievery goes on with 5 other siblings? Someone always steals my cookie, a piece of my (raw) pie, or my breakfast …but no one ever steals my kale smoothie. Have no idea why.

46. Sal says:

Mine didnt become a paste, it was just crumbly..it didnt work very well…

1. Jennifer says:

You need to melt the coconut oil first. Otherwise there wouldn’t be enough liquid for a paste.
      Melt the oil and it will work that way.

47. I am soooooooooo making these! What a clever idea! I simply love it! I need to order my PB2!

48. debbie says:

Omg- this looks so dangerously delicious.
    I am making this tonight! YUM!

49. Ellen says:

These look great…now to decide if I can only eat whatever a 15g serving size is….looking for my small candy molds in a few minutes, lol.

Yum!!!

50. Rachel Frank says:

My local Krogers just started carrying PB2 and I thought it looked interesting but was not really sure how I would use it. Now I must run over and get some lol. I might have to hire your alligator to guard them from my husband 😉

51. latisha says:

Hey katie i know this is random and has nothing to do with peanut butter. But i was wondering when or if you were gonna post a recipe for a healthy oatmeal creme pie?!?
    Thank you, love wut u do btw!!

1. Do you mean the Little Debbie types?

No idea yet… I need to take photos. But someday :).

1. latisha says:

ok i cant wait!!!!!!!!

52. AmyRene says:

Looks like I will be on a mission to buy candy molds soon! I think it would just look better if made with those..and I am a very “visual” person..ha ha

53. Megan says:

Ironically, the other day I was just thinking how I wanted to find PB chips w/o the nasty partially hydrogenated oils! Thanks- good timing!

54. These look amazing! I couldn’t imagine ever stealing someone’s else food! So I still struggle to work out why some people would!

55. Melissa says:

These are delicious!! I can’t stop eating them!!!

56. Kim says:

Hi, these look great! I have a son allergic to nuts and dairy, and I have never been able to find vegan white chocolate or butterscotch chips. Do you have any recipe ideas for making either of these?

57. kathy says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Great for someone trying to eat lower carb treats but still want to feel treated :)

58. Sue says:

Hubs can’t do peanuts, but I’m thinking I could do this with almond flour, which would rock his world???

59. Amy says:

This is such a good idea! I’d be so tempted to dip them in dark chocolate and make my own Reese’s Pieces. I could live off of those (if the commercial version wasn’t so unhealthy)!

1. Amy says:

Do you have any good recipes for chocolate dipping or coatings? I’d love to try! (Should buy some candy molds first, I suppose… :] )

2. If I get around to trying it, I’ll probably use this recipe (just the topping, not the brownie recipe): http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/02/27/copycat-little-debbie-cosmic-chocolate-fudge-brownies/

If you experiment first, I’d love to hear how it goes.

3. Amy says:

I remember that post! Those Little Debbie cake-alikes looked so much better (and even cuter) than the ones from my childhood. If I try making the Reese’s pieces, I’ll be sure to let you know! But with how many delicious treats you’ve been posting, I wouldn’t be surprised if you beat me to it. :]

60. Liz says:

Is there a similar mold on Amazon to the one you used?

1. Not sure. I found mine at Hobby Lobby. You could look at Michaels or JoAnn as well.

61. Paige says:

Hello! I always come to your site, but I never leave a comment – I wanted to tell you how adorable your site is. Every time I come, I always look at how delicious it is! I want to make it so badly, but it’s always hit or miss for me! For example, the cake batter shake … I devoured in ten seconds flat. However, when I tried the mint-chocolate-chip one, I was disgusted by the toothpaste taste. (And I love MCC. Maybe I made it wrong!)

Would it be possible for there to be a rating system? xoxo LOVE your stuff

1. Did you use pure extract or immitation? And how much? That stuff is strong… a little too much could definitely give a toothpaste taste!

1. Paige says:

I used two teaspoonfuls. Too much?

I’ll try it again tomorrow and then tell you what I think!

Healthy Pina Coloda: 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup of Silk Coconut Milk (carton), two cups of ice; blend

2. Hi Paige,
        Im confused… the recipe only says “2 drops” :-?.

3. Paige says:

OH MAN! Sorry, no wonder I felt like I was brushing my teeth – I read two teaspoonfuls! How much would two drops be?

4. Anonymous says:

Literally..2 drops 😀

62. Bek @ Crave says:

Awesome recipe. Do you find that the unrefined coconut oil makes it to coconutty?

1. I don’t taste coconut at all.

63. Stephi says:

Can you buy peanut flour in the uk??

64. Becky says:

Hi!

I just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog and let you know that I’ve nominated you for a Very Inspiring Blogger award!

65. Catherine says:

Are you looking for recipe testers? Because I am super excited for your cookbook!!:)

1. I’m still not sure how to ask for recipe testers :-?.

66. Micheal Kelly says:

You know my stance on muffins : they are simply cupcakes without hats. So peanut butter? Chocolate chips? Definitely crazystupidlove worthy. You need to get in on this.

67. Kathy says:

We had a regular gentleman at our office who stole everyone’s lunches. He would look thru until he found a container that looked good and he would proceed to eat it. (Course he stole everything else in the place that wasn’t nailed down also) One way to definitely deter thiefs, as well as find the culprit, is to fill the dish with X-lax instead of chocolate. It won’t take long for them to give up taking lunches. Works every time!!

68. Birdyrabbit says:

Oh yum. These, in your healthy chocolate chip cookies.
    With dark chocolate chips, and some chopped ricemilk chocolate.
    They didn’t last long :)

69. Kaychatt says:

I did make these! They are fabulous! They are sweet enough that you don’t need to finish entire batch…I even made the mistake of letting my husband try a piece…now he knows I have them somewhere..my fault, I know. Yum!

70. Patricia says:

Hi Katie,
    I was just dying to comment on you asking about having thieves who steal coworkers lunch. Well, we have this problem frequently. I am thankful as I try and keep my lunch in an insulated cooler but, a few of the girls have had bites taken out of their lunches and put back. Also we had one girl who got a cheesecake for Christmas and someone took a whole hunk out of it and left the rest to where it didn’t even make you want to touch it for fear they didn’t even wash their hands or who knows how they went to get the piece they wanted!! Just so repulsive, it makes me wonder why and where they learn these things from??
    Finally, I just wanted to share I love ALL your creative and very yummy features on here. I haven’t tried all of them or I think I would need to spend more time at my Crossfit and Spin Class..lol. Thank you so much and appreciate you trying to make things healthy and tasty!! You are so incredibly talented! :)

71. Jenny says:

Made this with natural peanut butter (peanut & salt only kind). Dangerously awesome! I’ll be using these chippies on my yonanas creations. 😉

72. Amy S. says:

Would this work with olive oil? I’m allergic to coconut! :(

73. suzie blair says:

I can’t wait to make these. Could you tell me where you got your mold for these. I would think the mold has to be on the small side and I can only find the med-size you would use to make chocolates. Thank-you, Suzie

1. Michaels craft stores have small ones in the cake decorating section.

74. Kat says:

Katie do you think this peanut butter chip recipe could be converted to Cinnamon chips easily? Could I just add cinnamon if I made it with the cacao butter? ( I can’t eat gluten, casein/dairy or soy)
    Thanks.

75. Kat says:

Sorry when I sent question about making cinnamon chips from this recipe I wanted to ask what you thought I might be able to use in place of the peanut flour. Obviously that wouldn’t taste right in a cinnamon chip. Thanks.

76. Julie says:

Hi Katie,
    I was wondering if you could do something similar substituting the peanut butter for cocoa and a couple drops of mint for making minted chocolate chips? Also is there any difference between powdered peanut butter and peanut flour? The brand of virgin coconut oil I have has a stronger coconut smell are there others that are less “scented”
    Thank you for your time answering my questions,
    Julie

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

ou can definitely do cocoa chips. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/15/three-ingredient-chocolate-bars-1/
      Try Whole Foods 365 coconut oil. It is the best, and tastes much better than ones like Tropical Source. No weird aftertaste.

77. Grace says:

This is such a clever idea! I don’t buy powdered peanut butter anymore just due to personal preference but I do have carob powder around. I am going to experiment and try making chocolate chips instead. Might add in some walnut butter that I just made too. Thanks for the rad post! I always love reading your stuff. :)

78. Julia says:

I’m in the UK, couldn’t wait to try this, its hard to get hold of peanut flour here though.
    I have found this website that sells PB2, which Katie mentions here, its powdered peanuts, which are then pressed to remove most of the fat.
    When I made this recipe using normal peanut butter (I also used less coconut oil) the butter chips were yummy, if a little greasy. So using PB2, should make them just how I imagine (dream) them to be!
    The website is: http://unsportsnutrition.co.uk
    I just ordered my PB2 from there, can’t wait! :-)
    Thanks Katie, for all these amazing recipes!

79. Phoebe says:

Do you think I could sub the peanut flour for finely ground peanuts?

80. Ruby says:

I was already content with one peanut butter recipe then you came up with more & more I cannot keep up. Please do not delete these recipes. I would like to try them all. Thank you.

81. Yum! What a great idea! and so cute too. I just made my own Nutella, that would be a perfect alternative to peanut butter! http://allsortsofpretty.com/how-to-make-nutella-and-skip-those-nasty-additives/

82. Audrey says:

Do you think almond butter would work as well, in place of the peanut butter? The peanut butter sounds FABULOUS however! Think I’m going to try these today!!!

1. Since it’s powdered peanut butter, you’d have to use powdered almond butter… maybe almond flour? I have no idea if it would work but would be very interested to know of you try it :).

1. Audrey says:

Oops!! Just realized that it is peanut flour not peanut butter. I tried the almond flour today because that’s all I had on hand! It’s delish!!! Although I think the peanut flour would be even better!!! Can’t wait to try! Oh and for the record I had to shoo my 5 year old away because she kept trying to eat it ALL!!!

83. Nicole says:

Could you substitute the maple syrup for honey??? I do grocery shopping for my dorm room every few months (or whenever my parents come visit) And that probably won’t be until October. I would really love to make these

84. Where do you purchase cacao butter? My first thought was the drug store where we used to buy bars of it to rub on our tummies when pregnant to prevent stretch marks. BTW, I love your website. I get absolutely lost going from one recipe to the other following interesting links along the way! Thanks for such a great job in making these foods so appealing and easy to make.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Look at Whole Foods or online.

1. Thank you for the super prompt reply… I go to Whole Foods about every other week to be sure I have my case of Kombucha and a small bag of organic decaf coffee (among other things, of course). I will look for the cacao butter…

85. I wonder… if this would work with… COCONUT FLOUR? Coconut butter chips… Totally sounds like you, Katie! 😀

86. Jennie says:

Hey there :)
    I just happened upon your website a short time ago and I have been LOVING all your recipes! :) I’d really like to find ‘peanut flour’ to make your MUCH healthier peanut butter chips but I googled it and found some not so great info about PB2. :(
    Basically I’m wondering if you know where I could source organic peanut flour instead.
    Thanks :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try Betty Lous.

1. Jennie says:

What/Who is that? I’m in Canada. thanks :)

87. carrie says:

Hi, I just tried to make these with coconut butter and it melted at room temp :( Must it be cacao butter, the health store said it was pretty much the same

1. Unfortunately, you got some bad information. Coconut butter and cacao butter are definitely not the same thing.

88. carrie says:

Can you tell me what kind of cacao butter you use? Also how big of a batch does this make?

89. Laura Jones says:

I made these last night. I had to resort to making my own peanut flour. I called alllll around town, and no one knew it even existed! They turned out so yummy. I’m going to take these to work tomorrow and snack on them after my workout. Thanks!! 😀

90. Melissa says:

Still looking for the molds used for these chips. Has anyone found them?
    Thanks in advance.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Hobby Lobby.

91. Annie Criss says:

Would you please e-mail me? I would like to use your Peanut Butter Yogurt and Healthy Vegan Homemade Peanut Butter Chips recipe in a cookbook (which I will explain to you) and I would like to request your permission to use it. Thank you.

92. Beatriz says:

Hey there. You mention that it would be best to use cacao butter if I were to use in baking. Do they get the same ‘effect’ as chocolate chips if I use cacao butter or will they still melt completely? There’s this recipe here that uses both peanut butter AND PB chips. Would it work with this homemade PB chips recipe?