Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cream Frosting

Marshmallow Sweet Potato Cupcakes

It just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without the yams or sweet potatoes. Consider this recipe Thanksgiving in a cupcake.

Although… I’m pretty sure the pilgrims didn’t have marshmallow frosting back in the day. 😕

Minor details.

sweet potato cupcakes

If you wish to take it one step further and stuff the cupcakes with cranberry jelly after baking, by all means go ahead!

Marshmallow Sweet Potato Cupcakes

Sweet Potato Cupcakes

(makes 10-11)

• 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
  • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil or melted coconut oil (35g)
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
  • 1 cup spelt flour or all-purpose flour (Or sub 1 cup Bob’s gf flour plus 1/2 tsp xanthan gum)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, coconut sugar, or xylitol
  • pinch pure stevia extract, or 1 extra tbsp sugar of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cupcake tin or line with cupcake liners, and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, sweet potato, vanilla, oil, and vinegar. Let sit at least 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly mixed. Pour evenly into cupcake tins. Make sure the batter fills only a little over half of each cupcake tin, as it will rise considerably as it cooks. Bake 19-20 minutes, or until cupcakes have risen and are lightly golden. Let cool 15 minutes before removing from the cupcake tins.

Marshmallow Frosting: (For a coconut-free alternative, simply use something like Ricemellow Crème as your frosting instead.)

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp marshmallow extract (such as this)

Open the coconut milk (try not to shake it before opening), and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can in the fridge overnight. It should get very thick. If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic or—for a foolproof option, use coconut cream such as Trader Joe’s. (Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.) Once thick, transfer only the creamy coconut cream to a bowl and whip in your sweetener and extract with a fork or with beaters if you want to be really fancy. Due to the perishable nature of the whipped cream, it’s best to frost the cupcakes immediately before serving.

View Nutrition Facts

sweet potato cupcakes

Question of the Day:

What are your favorite ways to eat yams or sweet potatoes?

If you need inspiration, see the following link:  Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes.

Side note: I normally try very hard to not mention current events or anything not directly related to food and recipes (as it’s a slippery slope – there are so many causes, and how can you deem one cause more important than any of the others?). However, due to the magnitude, I feel compelled to mention the typhoon in the Philippines. Please take a few seconds today to visit your favorite reputable charity’s website, such as Red Cross or UNICEF, to find out how you can help.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Russell says:

My favorite part of sweet potato casserole are the toasted marshmallows on top, and I feel this recipe is incomplete if it isn’t there. Is there a way to achieve that with this frosting, or is there some way you can do that with a different frosting recipe?

1. Steph says:

Ricemellow Creme or Marshmallow Fluff.

2. Mallow-Fiend says:

You could probably put some mini marshmallows under the broiler and then sprinkle them on top!

2. Trajayjay says:

Mmm, you’re so philanthropic

3. Steph says:

EVERYONE should try the Okinawan sweet potato. It’s PURPLE, dense, sweet, and delicious.

1. OilLadyLaura says:

I’ve had those before, they were AMAZING! It didn’t even need any toppings.

4. Val says:

What exactly is the marshmallow extract made out of?

1. Kelly says:

There’s a link in her recipe where you can find that info out, Val. It doesn’t contain any fake ingredients or chemicals, if that’s what you’re looking for!

5. Alexis says:

These sound so yummy and perfect for Thanksgiving! Does anyone know if subbing applesauce for the oil would work? Or maybe even just adding more sweet potato?

6. Kelly says:

AWESOME! So glad to see the marshmallow flavoring is vegan and doesn’t contain any artificial flavorings or junk! These sound great! Wish i wasn’t allergic to sweet potatoes!

1. Annie says:

You can sub with puréed carrot or butternut squash

1. Annie says:

A little different in flavour, but still pretty close and similar in texture

7. MaineMommy says:

Baked and stuffed. Avocado, mango, grilled onions and peppers and greens (spinach or kale). Topped with salsa. That’s what it must have and then if there’s anything else in the fridge I’ll add it. I bake 5 sweet potatoes on Sunday and spread these out over lunches and dinner all week. It’s a quick and easy meal after boot camp classes.

8. “I normally try very hard to not mention current events or anything not directly related to food and recipes (as it’s a slippery slope – there are so many causes, and how can you deem one cause more important than any of the others?)”
    I agree–way too many sad/tragic events going on in the world to choose from, that’s for sure. But the typhoon is particularly so. It saddens me how often that side of the world seems to be hit with major major natural disasters.

I’ve just gotten into experimenting with the coconut “whipped” cream–I’ve found not all brands of coconut milk are created equal!

9. I have always wanted to try baking something sweet with sweet potatoes! These look awesome and I love the marshmallow frosting addition!

10. Katy says:

I’ve tried sweet potatoes in brownies and although the brownies were delicious, the sweet potatoes were masked by the chocolate. I love how the sweet potato flavour rings through in your cupcakes – so creative!

11. Serenity says:

Hi Katie,

Silent reader here. This recipe looks amazing, but has forced me to voice a concern, or really a cry for help. My dad LOVES almond roca candy, and we always have it around holidays, so this year I want to make him a cookie bar spinoff:

There is no healthy or vegan versions of this I can find, anywhere. Is it something you could add to your to-make list?

I would be forever grateful!

Happy remembrance day from Alberta, Canada.

1. Mallow-Fiend says:

1. Mallow-Fiend says:

Whoops. For some reason it took my comment to one of the first posters and copied it when I went to comment here? No idea 😛

Anywho, I bet you have a few options if Katie doesn’t have any suggestions!

1. For the crust base use her chickpea blondie recipe ( ), her fudge recipe for a different spin ( ) or use her chocolate chip cookie recipe and make them into bars ( ).

2. For the chocolate topping use her homemade chocolate bars recipe in the melted form ( ), storebought chocolate, or even carob powder + coconut oil (in equal amounts) makes a great tasting “chocolate” that hardens nicely when frozen.

3. The just top with chopped up almonds and you have a healthy/vegan version of the almond roca bars!

Sorry to but in Katie, but I just wanted to share my thoughts :)

1. Please don’t be sorry at all… I love your ideas!

1. Serenity says:

Awesome ideas! Thank you both!

2. I can definitely put it on my growing list of things to try and experiment to make :)

12. Melissa says:

Yum, these sound so good, especially the marshmallow frosting!

13. I’ve never been a fan of marshmallows on sweet potatoes – I’ve always found it a combination that is way too sweet to be considered part of dinner. But sweet potato cupcakes with marshmallow frosting sounds much more suitable.
    And they’re vegan! Love!

14. Man, now even you have gotten on the coconut milk frosting train! 😀 I really need to try that out. Just have to find some full fat canned coconut milk without all of the lovely *sarcasm* ingredients!

I know that in the past mentioning charities has put you in some hot water… which I still don’t understand, but I personally love both your posts and introductions that are non-food related. And I don’t think I’m the only one who feels that way :)

15. Alexandria says:

these look AMAZING!

16. Tammela says:

These sound delicious. I love sweet potatoes and am happy eating them any and every way possible. I most often roast them (, but I also love these pancakes (, and these biscuits are a revelation (

17. Kayla says:

This looks like such a delicious recipe! As I am not a huge fan sweet potato, do you think this would work with pumpkin? The frosting looks just gorgeous! Thank you for everything, Katie! <3

18. Becca says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Sweet potatoes are one of my all-time favorite foods; this sounds ridiculous, but I was so excited when I saw the title of this post that I got a little teary-eyed :)

One of my favorite sweet potato recipes is actually a breakfast recipe – I usually only eat about half of a medium sweet potato at a time, so I always end up with these halves of cooked sweet potatoes in my fridge. So one morning, I decided to mash up one of these leftover halves with 2Tbsp peanut butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon (actually, a lot of cinnamon, because I am a cinnamon addict), a pinch of sugar, and about a cup and a half of plain Greek yogurt. The result was a thick, creamy yet magically fluffy, and absolutely mind-blowingly delicious breakfast. I added a cup of Chex cereal, too, for a contrasting texture. So, so good, and it keeps me full for hours!

19. Corry says:

I love eating sweet potatoes baked. I top them with black beans, corn, guacamole, and sautéed spinach! Sometimes a little spicy red pepper hummus too! Mmmmm!

20. Alexa says:

Katie, these look great! Looks like a yummy way to use some seasonal produce :)
    I love throwing a nice glob of peanut butter or almond butter on my sweet potatoes, followed by a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon. So so good.

21. Rebecca says:

Love yams & sweet potatoes! My favorite is to roast them in the oven with cinnamon and cumin! Can’t wait to try these cupcakes though!

22. LeeLee says:

Oh, my. These cupcakes look delish.

23. Emily says:

OHHHH MY GOSH!! *faints*
    I LOVE SWEET POTATOES!! not casserole where you ruin it with marshmallows and other stuff. just plain, baked until its soft and delicious an it MAKES ME SWOON. i actually just had one with dinner not three hours ago. <3

24. Cassie says:

These look great, I have to try! I love having veggies snuck into baked goods.

I honestly love sweet potatoes plain – I rub my skins with a little olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast for 45 minutes – the skin is my favorite point at that point!

25. I love sweet potatoe in baking !! These look divine! I can’t wait to make them !!

26. MLR says:

I just had a sweet potato omlette and it was de-lish! just eggs,(baked)sweet potato and some salt and almost felt like I was eating a pancake!

27. How awesome, I need to use sweet potatoes more creatively – what better way than in cupcakes? Great idea!

28. I love this fun take on a sweet potato casserole. It’s better in dessert format anyways!

29. Candice says:

Love these cupcakes. Thank you for sharing- I will make them and bring them to Thanksgiving dinner!

30. Yay, finally a break from pumpkin! It’s not even fall here in Australia…it’s only just warming up. These look delish Katie!

31. Yum these look delish! I love eating my Mom’s sweet potato casserole, its the sweetest most delicious side side for Turkey Day!

32. Rose says:

(New reader – I love your site!!) I can’t eat coconut or soy (and a bunch of other stuff) – do you have any ideas on a vegan frosting alternative? (Suzanne’s brand ricemellow creme has soy in it).

1. Mia says: — That looks like one that you could possibly have? I can totally relate with food allergies so if you need any other suggestions or replacement ideas just comment back :)

Or perhaps you could use one of Katie’s soy-free frosting recipes, like this one: —- Just replace the coffee with a mild liquid like cashew, almond or rice milk! And if you can get ahold of the marshmallow flavoring, add that in too :)

1. Rose says:

Thank you Mia! The first one should work – I am going to try that! We have nut allergies too, so the second is out, but it was a great idea for coconut- and soy-free.

33. Bethanny says:

Hi Katie, I’m a huge fan of your blog and I noticed you make a lot of copycat versions of packaged desserts like the cosmic brownies and the vitatops. I was wondering if you could please do a copycat Oatmeal Creme Pie? They’re my best friend’s favorite but I can’t stand to let her eat one more packaged dessert when I know you could make a healthy one.

1. It is now on my list of things to try :)

1. Bethanny says:

Is it bad that I squealed like a little girl when I saw that you replied

34. leah says:

HUGE fan of your recipes and website! I was wondering if you have a cook book?
    Gave your site a shout out on my blog, i hope thats alright:)
    Xx Leah

1. Thank you so much, Leah. That really means a lot to me. I’m working on a cookbook to be published next year and hopefully will be able to also get an ebook out soon.

35. Deidre says:

Hi Katie!

I made these, and they are fantastically delicious! One change I made was instead of using the marshmallow topping I used a light whipped cream cheese, flavored with brown sugar and cinnamon. It was yummy. :-)

36. Deidre says:

I made these and they were fabulously delicious. One change I made was instead of using the marshmallow frosting I topped the cupcakes with light brown sugar and cinnamon flavored whipped cream cheese. Yummy!

37. Rebecca says:

Wow these look AMAZING! I love that sweet potatoes are also high in protein so you get that extra nutritional value too! Thanks Katie :)

xx Becca

38. Christina says:

I can’t wait to try this! I just bought the marshmallow extract off of Amazon. Only $3.49 and no shipping!

39. Marie says:

These look so yummy! I’m planning on making them for my family for Thanksgiving, but I was going to sub the oil with more sweet potato. If I do that, do I just use the same amount of sweet potato as the recipe calls for for oil? I really want to show my family that healthy desserts can be good, so of you can reply before Thanksgiving that’d be great! I love your blog so much and thanks for all the great recipes! :)

40. Liz says:

I made these tonight with Bob’s GF flour (plus xanthan gum) and puréed pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes. I couldn’t find marshmallow flavor, so I used the Ricemellow Creme (a whole tub!) mixed with a few TBSP of powdered sugar and a bit of almond milk. Warning: the Ricemellow stuff is STICKY! The milk helped to make it more spreadable, though. The cupcakes were a big hit at the dinner party! The spice in the cakes is perfect. I’ll be making these again.

41. Stephanie says:

I’m planning on making these and was wondering if garbanzo bean flour would work without having to add xanthan gum?

42. Kieran says:

These look delicious, and I want to make them as Thanksgiving treats. If I wanted to make double the yield, is it not a good idea to double the measurements across the board for each ingredient? (I’m not an avid baker). Thanks for sharing!

1. Normally that works… I can’t guarantee it, but I’d think it would work.

43. Izzy says:

Thanks for this recipe, sounds yummy.
    My fav way to eat sweet potatoes is simply roasted with olive oil, garlic and fresh cilantro :-)

44. says:

I want to eat more and more. so delicious!!!!!

45. Neha says:

These are great! I didn’t make the frosting b/c I didn’t have powdered sugar or marshmallow flavoring. I also used 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice in place of the ground cinnamon and ground ginger b/c I didn’t have ground ginger. Thanks for sharing!

46. Molly Livingston says:

Hi Katie!
    This could be an incredibly stupid question (and I’m sorry if it is), but if I were to put purple food coloring in this for Mardi Gras it would change color right? Logically it would I just wanted to make sure in case there was some ingredient that would keep that from happening.

47. Nish says:

Thanks Katie for the wonderful recipe! :) This website might help anyone struggling with the coconut whipped cream!

48. Wendy says:

Hi Katie, I love your recipes!!!
    I was wondering if you had tried this with almond flour and for sweetener a super ripe banana? They sound awesome.
    Blessings, Wendy

49. Tessa says:

I just finished this recipe (minus the frosting) and these are my thoughts:

It is SUPER moist!
    It isn’t overly sweet.
    There isn’t an overbearing sweet potato taste.
    The recipe reminds me of a carrot or other spice cake.

I’m so happy I finally got around to making this recipe! I did alter it a bit in that I used half, unbleached whole wheat flour, half all-purpose flour.

Where options were available, I used cashew milk, melted coconut oil, acv, and brown sugar as my sweetener.

It’s a really great recipe and I’m thinking next time I may add raisins,and another time maybe shredded carrots, and a time after that a bit of peanut butter-maybe a dollop in the center. I’ll just let my taste buds guide me.

50. Margareth says:

How can I replace the spelt flour, with oat or almond meal could work?

51. N says:

Hi. Can I substitute the milk for a vegan alternative or will that ruin the recipe?

52. Diana says:

These were sweet and moist, no frosting necessary! I used sweet potatoes that I had boiled and mashed up. Thanks for a delicious recipe.