Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Quinoa Pizza Bites

Melty quinoa pizza bites…

QUINOA PIZZA BITES  from @choccoveredkt Everyone always asks me for the recipe whenever I make these! Full recipe ---> http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/01/27/quinoa-pizza-bites/

You are guaranteed to be the hit of any party to which you bring these melty and cheesy quinoa pizza bites. Although, if you wanted to make extra sure people would never forget you, you could always bring a batch of my No-Bake Peanut Butter Brownie Bars as well.

But for now, let’s go back to the melty, cheesy, and pizza-y quinoa bites.

Pizza-y?

Quinoa Pizza Bites

Yes, surprisingly pizza-y.

I’ve just made it a word.

QUINOA PIZZA BITES  Everyone asks me for the recipe whenever I make these. Full recipe ---> http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/01/27/quinoa-pizza-bites/

The idea for these pizza balls was sent to me by a reader, originally from this post On Anna’s Plate. Inspired by the linked recipe, I then went ahead and changed it up completely… I can’t seem to follow a recipe! The resulting quinoa pizza bites were fabulously pizza-y.

Webster’s, take note.

Quinoa Bites

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1 cup cooked quinoa (see: [How to Cook Quinoa | http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/16/how-to-cook-quinoa/])
  • 1 cup canned (or cooked) pinto beans
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 2 tsp dry basil
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar of choice, or pinch stevia (this is for balance and can be left out if you absolutely must)
  • mozzarella cheese of choice, such as Daiya, optional

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a baking sheet well, then set aside. In a medium bowl, mash the beans completely. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Taste, then add a little more sweetener only if needed. (Mine didn’t need it.) Roll into balls, then break off a piece of the cheese—if using—and push it into the middle before sealing the ball back up. Place the balls onto the baking tray and cook 30 minutes. For a crispy outer shell, feel free to broil a minute at the end.

*[View Quinoa Pizza Bites Nutrition Facts | http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/pizza-bites-nutrition-facts/]*

Pizza Bites

Question of the Day: Are you doing anything for Super Bowl?

Do you have any recipes picked out to make? I’m currently trying to decide between a chocolate chip peanut butter cheese ball and chocolate chip cookie dough brownies. Or maybe I’ll just make both! Link of the Day:

healthy chocolate cake

Link of the Day: Secret Ingredient Healthy Chocolate Cake

Happy National Chocolate Cake Day!

1. What an interesting idea! I definitely don’t plan to watch the game, but I’m sure I could find the perfect excuse to make these soon.

2. becauseHeloves! says:

Oh wow! These are like the healthy vegan version of those frozen pizza bites I used to eat so much! Hooray!

3. Simon says:

Oh my god, it’s look so good. I have to try this recipe soon. Thank!

4. I made a similar recipe during the fall but I love that these have the cheese in the middle, mine was just mixed in. Looks great!

5. Kait says:

YUM this looks awesome, definitely trying it out!

6. EVA says:

They look good! Too bad that even the taste of cheese nauseates me.

Wait a second, you broke the breakfast code!

1. Saraquill says:

Pizza makes a fantastic breakfast. you just have to make sure it’s heated in the toaster oven, so it’s both warm and crispy.

1. EVA says:

Ah! Thanks for catching my one-mindedness. I forget that people enjoy the leftover chop suey or mashed potatoes and gravy for breakfast. I’m not a savory breakfast person, so I completely went blind and assumed everyone enjoyed sweets when they woke up. MY BAD. CARRY ON.

2. Saraquill says:

I’m also a big believer in sweets for breakfast. I alternate between sweet and savory depending on my mood.

7. WOAH! these look exceptionally good – can’t wait to try your recipe! I love finding new ways to incorporate quinoa into things!

8. Making these tonight for dinner – thanks!

9. Alia says:

This looks delicious! I am definitely going to give them a go…but I know what you mean, I like to modify and tweak recipes to my liking too 😉

10. This are amazing! Seriously. I’m like… blown away.
    Pinned.

11. Lena says:

When I saw the email for this recipe, I accidentally read it as “chocolate pizza bites” and got oddly excited. Or maybe not so oddly, since I recently ate chocolate pizza at a restaurant… and have been wanting to make my own version ever since… just saying…. :-)

1. Ha ha – Glad I’m not the only one. I looked at the pic and saw something buttery, gooey and filled with marshmallow!!

12. Barbara says:

Those look amazing! I wonder has anybody tried to sub something else for the cheese center?

1. Jean Smith says:

I just whipped up a batch of hummus, and was thinking I could fill the bites with that. I will report back!

13. Oh my god they’re so simple, quick and they look delicious!!! I have a bunch of quinoa I need to use up, and tend to get boring with my quinoa. This is perfect! Thanks!

14. Ronda says:

These look amazing. Recipe makes 8 to10 – how many pizza bites make 1 serving?

15. Emily says:

I sure hope that’s vegan cheese! :)

1. Sarah says:

Katie is vegan so it stands to reason that she used vegan cheese (she suggests daiya).

16. Emily says:

What happened to the other breakfast recipes for January? I was looking forward to some of those pictures!

1. Michelle says:

me too :/

17. Wow, those look super good. I used to love pizza rolls!

18. kelsey says:

These look amazing!! Do you of anything I could use to replace the beans? They don’t always agree with me.

1. Jean Smith says:

olives

19. I definitely never plan on watching football, but I’ll take any excuse to eat a few snacks 😉 These look delicious!

20. Hollie says:

I never would have thought to do anything like this. I’m not doing anything for the Super Bowl this year…I wish the Panthers were in but alas they aren’t.

21. I love this idea! This week my goal is to get the daily recommended amount of fiber per day (see blog for more details) and with the super bowl coming this week I have to plan ahead for sure! quinoa is a great source for fiber, can’t wait to try these this week!

22. When I saw these I expected some long complicated ingredient list and recipe but they are so simple! I think I’ll try them tonight :) Pizza in ball form….can’t go wrong!

23. Elle says:

Katie, these are FABULOUS! Having my kids go towards Gluten Free has been a challenge, and I know my son will Love these! He’s been asking for pizza a lot!

Thanks so much!!! 😀

24. These look delicious! And the fact that they’re naturally GF=bonus! Thanks for sharing!

25. Jenna says:

*drool* If only I wasn’t away at school so I could make these!

26. Emilie says:

Oh my gosh these look unbelievably fantastic! I can’t wait to try them. I’m doing a Super Bowl potluck at my house this year, and I know there will be a mix of vegan and non-vegan dishes. I’m really trying to educate my family and friends on how delicious and fulfilling vegan food can be (in a totally non-pushy and polite way, hopefully), and I was a little stuck on what to do for Super Bowl. The best I had so far was guacamole and vegan chili. Do you (or anyone else) have any other ideas? Also, would you mind terribly if I reposted this on my own blog (or at least tossed in a link to this)? Thanks for the great idea!

1. Vivian says:

So…this reply is a little late (just look up the pizza bites for a possible 4th of July recipe), but what I did for vegan friends during football season was to make vegan chickpea cutlets from Vegonomicon (http://www.chow.com/recipes/11364-chickpea-cutlets) in nugget shapes, then toss in wing sauce (I used a vegetable spread instead of butter).

27. Katie says:

What an interesting appetizer! They look delicious! Eating gluten-free means I don’t get to enjoy pizza as often (or I guess as easily) as I did before, so these would be a good way to satisfy a pizza craving!!

28. Yes, please! Protein and all kinds of good stuff in it and it tastes like pizza? Cannot wait to try these! Probably WILL for Superbowl, too! Thanks so much! I never would have come up with this!

29. Kristie says:

WHA! These look insane! I’m a sucker for ANYTHING pizza so a healthy quinoa-y pizza bite? I am sold!

30. Ellen says:

Yes! Pizza-y! Very important. Not being a football fan, I will be doing my usual improv shows on Sunday, but I don’t think I need the game as an excuse for pizza themed foods;)

31. B says:

I made these as soon as I got home from work! And they are amazing! Such a great alternative to those mozzarella sticks and pizza rolls in one. I could have eaten the quinoa mix by itself! I used cannellini beans because I was out of pinto at home, but maybe they taste more Italian that way. I also doubled the garlic and added cayenne because I like my food spicy. Thanks so much for this recipe!

32. Emily J. says:

Could you post a list of snacks for the game? Thank you!

33. Steph says:

These look so awesome! The cheesy inside stuff looks so… cheesy! Its amazing! I think I have all the ingredients too.. YAY! :)

34. Michelle says:

These look so good I want to make them tomorrow! I just don’t have pinto beans. Do you think chick peas, black beans, brown rice, or lentils could work?

1. I’ve not tried, so you’ll have to experiment :).

35. Saraquill says:

The optional cheese reminds me, is there a link someone could point me to for making vegan cheese? I know how to make a cheesy sauce to go with macaroni, but that’s it. It’s easier for me to go homemade than to experiment with store bought brands.

36. Jessica says:

Is the nutritional value based on eating 10 of them to make 420 calories or 42 calories for 10? lol i’m so sorry its late and I clearly can’t comprehend!

1. Michelle says:

It’s 42 calories per bite based on 10, so if you get 10 bites out of the recipe then each one will have 42 calories. It would be 420 calories for all 10.

37. Priyanka says:

Looking delicious…
    Can’t wait, Just wanna try as soon as possible..

38. Did you realize you just made “arancini?!” lol! I made quinoa arancini a while back…I’m not unfamiliar with making arancini but always wanted to try it with quinoa…#1 because I eat gf, and #2 because I love quinoa! Well, I had my ENTIRE ITALIAN family (i.e., in ITALY) scarfing these down! Success! Your recipe is a bit different but regardless, I KNOW these taste AWESOME! Great pics! Btw, here’s the link my recipe:

39. laura says:

awesome! I love that this recipe is GF and will definitely be making at some point. I’m a Canuck and I feel like people in Canada watch the Super Bowl as an excuse to pig out on bad foods. I don’t have any plans but generally it’s not enjoyable because everything is deep fried!

40. Hannah Elizabeth says:

I don’t care if pizza-y is a word or not, but it was begging to be made into one! :)

Oh, yum, both of your options for Super Bowl dessert recipes sounds *SO* good!!!! Are you planning on posting them? Please, please, please….? *puppy dog eyes* :)

1. Hannah Elizabeth says:

YAY!! Thank you!!! Looking forward to it!

41. Kelly says:

These look seriously delicious!! I can’t wait to try them!

42. Kristen says:

I love this idea for quinoa, I am in the middle of making them right now… in love with the flavor but mine don’t seem to roll… so I plopped them on the sheet in hope they would bake… they are in the oven right now… what do you think could have went wrong?

43. Kim says:

Hey, I wonder what I could substitute for the beans? I’m not a fan of them :/

44. Jess says:

These…look amazing. I need to make these soon.

45. Michelle says:

I made these today and they were absolutely amazing!! Just varied it a little:

Instead of pinto beans I used kidney beans.
    I multiplied it by 1.5 so that I used the whole can of beans.
    I got 21 balls out of it, and analyzed my nutrition, but somehow got 100 calories per ball :(
    I added just a bit of marinara to it.

My picky water husband couldn’t get enough! Yummy!

1. Michelle says:

Should say picky eater – not water!

1. If you used an online calculator, it probably just did dry beans instead of canned by mistake. Online calculators seem to have trouble calculating canned beans. Cooked quinoa as well.

2. Michelle says:

You’re right! I went back and realized that that is exactly what happened! By the way, I absolutely love your blog and all of your recipes. I have never tried so many recipes from one site before. I love how you show people how delicious vegan food can be. I am sure you inspire a lot of people to go veg :)

46. Maura-Leigh says:

These are delicious! My 4yr old loves them!

47. Melissa says:

Hi Katie! I’ve tried to find a way to do this privately, but you’re a fortress! 😀 Just wanted to make sure that I had your blessing to totally plug this fantastic site on my own blog (which I won’t plug on yours!) Please email me privately for the link and you can take a look at it. If any issues, I will be happy to comply. (Totally just giving you props on the page though as I use your site to keep my clean-eating sweet tooth happy). Keep up the great work! Love this site!

1. Aw Melissa I’m honored. THANK YOU :).

48. YUM! Love this idea and I wonder if they could freeze well…hrmm

49. Andrea says:

Yum! Just made these with black beans and cheese cheese, grated & mixed in. So tasty!

1. Andrea says:

Cheddar cheese, I meant!

50. I know I tweeted about it already but just wanted to let everyone here know they were delicious! I used chickpeas and they were absolutely wonderful! Thanks Katie :)

51. Robin says:

Hi Katie! I want to thank you for helping all of us out here on Doug Kaufmann’s anti-fungal diet. Your recipes are inspirational and especially helpful in this case because of our limited use of ingredients. I have a question about coconut butter. I have been desperately trying to find coconut milk without guar gum and other preservatives in all the health food stores in my area to no avail:-( It is one of the anti fungal diets friendly foods, I have been so excited to try to make ice cream and whipped cream. You can imagine my disappointment:-( I found Artisana coconut butter and was pleasantly surprised to see that you can make coconut milk from it so I got excited and gave the company a call to ask about whipping it or using it to make ice cream. Guess what they suggested? That I contact you! What a compliment huh? I’m not surprised but just had to share that with you! They said that if anyone would know or could figure out how to make it happen it would be you. Pretty awesome coming straight from the manufacturer! So my question would be is it is possible to make whipped cream, ice cream or other recipes that call for coconut milk from coconut butter? Again, thanks for everything you do because it is truly a gift and I just wanted you to know how much you are helping the people who are out here struggling to get well. God bless you and your kitchen! Robin

1. cathy taylor says:

there is also a lady with a site all about coconut oil, she might be able to help…I think coconutoil.com lol

52. Patricia says:

love love loving your blog. just thought i’d share. thanks for the great fantastic delicious ideas.

53. Kristin says:

Couldn’t make balls out of mine. Followed the recipe exactly and ended up with a soup! Not asking for advice to fix it, and I love a lot of the recipes Katie gives, but I’m not sure what was wrong with this one (at least for me).

1. Cristina says:

I’m having the same issue here! Not exactly a soup but it’s not firm enough to make balls. What could be wrong here?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It sounds like you just need to cook your quinoa longer.

2. Cristina says:

As far as I know there’s only one way to cook the quinoa and it’s not the first time I’ve cooked it so I’m thinking it must be something else.

54. Autumn says:

This is a great appetizer that takes only minutes to make (not including the baking time)!
    Thanks again CCK!

55. Thanks for the shout-out! Those quinoa pizza bites are definitely one of the most popular items to ever have come out of my little blog. :-) Your twist on them looks delicious!

56. Kelli says:

These were amazing! I am not vegan so I did use regular mozzarella and it worked perfectly! My daughter hates when I serve quinoa at dinner but, she loved these!! I’ve actually made several items from your blog and they’ve all been amazing!!! Thank you :)

57. cathy taylor says:

let’s face it, I am lazy, so when I had put a can of pinto beans into cooked quinoa in the rice cooker, and then found this recipe, a light bulb went off. So I added the recipe’s spices, vegan mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce, (as I had no paste,) to the mixture in the cooker. I just ate a “bowl”. Next time I will have toast too. yummy Katie, ty!!!

58. steph says:

These look delicious! Can I freeze theese?

59. Becca says:

Made these today for the Super Bowl! One of my favorite recipes of yours…everyone loved them (and I did too!) I couldn’t believe how satisfying they were! Thanks for another amazing recipe, Katie. :)

60. Kayla says:

You had me at pizza! Looks sooo yummy, can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

61. Esther says:

I just made these for dinner tonight and they were so delicious!! I used regular mild cheddar cheese for most of them and Daiya Jack for some as my brother is allergic to dairy. I also used Great Northern beans because I didn’t have any pinto beans. I will certainly be making these again, all 6 of my family members loved these! Thank you so much for another healthy meal idea, Katie!

62. Tress Rabne says:

I’ve read all of the comments, and it seems no one has the same question as I do: in your ingredients list, is it “1 cup of quinoa, cooked”, or “1 cup of cooked quinoa”. When I make 1 cup of raw quinoa it becomes larger than the 1 cup. Do I use just one of those cooked cups, or do I use all of it? Thanks.

1. 1 cup cooked, so 1/4 cup raw.

63. Katey says:

So people. Don’t sub kidney beans or oregano. I didn’t have pintos or basil so I did….They do not compare to the flavors that come with marrying basil and pinto! My heart, it aches.

64. Fiona says:

Hi. I’m very keen to make these. Wondering if it will work if I make the balls ready the night before, keep them in the fridge and pop in the oven when ready for them? Can you foresee any issues if I did this or will it be a disaster? Cheers.

65. zuzana says:

I just tried it..and they didnt hold together at all.. :/ they look more like pancakes. any suggestions? i added flower as a last hope but it ruined the taste and still they still didnt hold together…

1. Jody says:

I added more quinoa and beans on my first try – about a few tablespoons more

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

See Katie’s troubeshooting link in the Recipe FAQ section for help, as these ought to hold together perfectly. They did for me, anyway.

66. Shirin says:

Love your recipes Katie :) Just wondering if you’re aware that some of your advertising is showing up down the bottom of your recipes in the format of your links to other recipes on your site…but the recipes are like buffalo chicken lasagne and BLT pasta salad, clearly not vegan. When I click it and it goes to another site. Maybe this isn’t your advertising, maybe I have really sneaky adware but it just seems strange that you’d have links to meaty dishes and they deceive you cos they look like they link to more of your recipes!!

67. Jody says:

I’ve been eyeing this recipe for weeks until I finally made them this evening. I mixed Daiya shredded cheese instead because mama’s lazy. I thoroughly enjoyed these and practically ate most of it. I doubled up on the ingredients so I have more mixture to make for tomorrow. Thanks!

68. Alandra says:

Just made…def taste the tomato sauce and pinto beans. Not sure if I would make again but glad I did. Thanks for the recipe.

69. Kristy Creamer says:

Another hit by the skinnyminichocolatecoveredKatie! I did two things different, and really only slightly different. I used my stick blender on everything but the quinoa and cheese. Then mixed in the quinoa, that came out perfectly for the first time, I MUST ADD! Followed our Katie’s instructions found elsewhere on the site. I used daiya provolone and broke the slice in to pieces for the simple fact that it was what I had in the fridge. They reheat well, 1 minute 30 seconds in the microwave. I will definitely be making these again, and again and again. Only difference I think I will make is simple. Smaller. I wanted so badly to be able to pick it up! It kind of smooshed in my hand. Also, doubling the recipe. I NEED more than one meal out of these. I work evening, so anything I can make ahead that reheats well, is a bonus in my book! As always, Thanks Katie! Do you have a blog you follow for the necessary meals that do not contain chocolate? Trying to reduce the amount of meat in my diet as much as possible. This will definitely help!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try findingvegan.com

70. Miranda says:

I have a batch of these in the oven right now! The smell reminds me of the pizza that was made at the local skating rink, when I was a kid. So good! Two things I did differently: I used cooked brown rice instead of quinoa so I increased the amount by a 1/2 cup, I also used shredded cheese instead of block; more difficult but if you’re patient it works out nicely! Can’t wait to try these.

1. Miranda says:

Just popped these out of the oven. They look, feel and taste beautiful; sturdy too. The only thing that I would do differently next time is use the block cheese; shreds caused a few to buckle and split, oozing cheese. I don’t mind though because I am one of those weirdos who loves burnt cheese bits. Letting these cool down a bit to room temp for tea time!

71. Rebecca says:

Love these! As a new mother with no help whatsoever, it’s really hard to make sure the fridge is always stocked with food. This recipe was soooo easy and quick to make, but best of all, the hubby loves it and didn’t know he was eating something healthy. And the fun part was licking my hands like a little kid after I was done rolling everything! I’ve been studying your recipes so I could make them whenever bub gives me a chance to cook.

72. Kathy says:

Are the pinto beans needed for holding it together? Or just for flavor? The reason I ask is because my daughters are both allergic to legumes. If it’s just for flavor, I will def try making without the beans. But, if it needs the beans to keep it together, I’ll have to try something else. Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You need the beans.

73. Kristie says:

I wonder if my kids would eat these! Maybe I’ll tell them they’re cheesy tater tots 😉 LOL

74. Katie says:

Serving size is 1 or 10? I was confused reading the nutrition label. Made these and they were SOOOOO good!!!! :)

75. Kerri says:

Although I love the idea, the batter was WAYYY to soft, and would NOT shape into balls at all!!! What do you think happened?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Read previous comments. This was resolved: You need to cook the quinoa longer prior to using so it is drier.

76. Tess Willard says:

These look really good and would make great appetizers. My Dad is gluten free which has changed our menu at home. It is surprising how good gluten free food can be. One of the foods we have discovered is quinoa and I love it!! It is healthy and filling. I feel healthier when I eat it compared to pasta. One of our favorite quinoa recipes is tabouli (http://localfoods.about.com/od/salads/r/Classic-Tabouli-Salad.htm). Tabouli is normally made with cracked wheat. We just substitute the quinoa for the wheat and add lots more lemon and garlic and it is the best tabouli ever.

77. Charlotte says:

does this recipe make a single serving?

Thanks

78. SV says:

Love!! Made these today, and my husband – who is a pizza freak – inhaled them. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used regular mozzarella (I’m vegetarian but not vegan). For those who had trouble with the consistency, my ‘batter’ was really soft too but you have to persevere when shaping them into balls, as it does work eventually. Just do it gently and don’t roll them in your palms cause then they just smoosh in your hands. I just patted them here and there to shape them, stuffed a cube of cheese in each one and patted some more. They crisped up so nicely in the oven. Thank you!!

79. Melissa says:

Katie,

How well do these freeze? I’m looking for recipes to make for my baby and want to be able to freeze for future meals.

Thanks,
    Melissa

80. Shannon says:

These look so yummy! Do you think I could replace the beans with chickpeas?

81. Karen Tumblin says:

I substituted garbanzo beans for the pinto beans. This is an amazing dish. My husband and I were thinking of variations we could put in here. This was delicious!!!! I love it.

82. madlene says:

hi! I want to try these this week but I have a problem with pinto beans 😀 so I was wondering if i could use smthing instead of them :)

83. Robyn says:

I just made these for my toddler twin boys and they were a hit! I wasn’t sure if I should drain the beans so I did…would they be better not rinsed? Also I used Daiya shreds and just mixed them in with everything, worked great! Thanks!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Drained is good.

84. Laurie says:

Lord have mercy, these sound soooo good. I’m going to make these very soon. I appreciate these recipes.

85. Erin says:

i made these with kidney beans because it were the only beans i had at hand and they turned out pretty good. will surely do them again

86. Gloria says:

I made these last night. Fantastic! Loved them. I used black beans as that’s what I had on hand. I also added a bit of parmesan cheese in the bean/quinoa mixture. I’ll definitely be making them again. Thanks Katie …. love all your recipes!

87. Malin says:

Making these right now!!!

88. Lydia says:

Do you think these could be made a day or two ahead and refrigerated before baking? Or maybe freeze before baking? I want to make them ahead to bring to a get-together this weekend but I’m not sure how they’ll hold up if made in advance.

89. Emily says:

Whoa. I just put these in the oven and they were MESSY! Super sticky and definitely not in perfect little balls. But I hope that they come out solid… if they don’t, no big deal, because I’ve been licking my fingers and eating fresh mozz this whole time and I can’t complain. I’d eat it with a spoon.

90. Krysta says:

I apologize if someone already asked (or I just missed it in the post): what brand of tomato paste do you use? Do you have a favorite canned tomato brand?

Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Muir Glen is good, or Whole Foods brand.

91. tried em says:

I think next time I try them I’ll toss an egg in there. Very tasty though!

92. Jessica says:

I just made these and OMG, they are soooooo good! I used garbanzo beans instead of pinto beans and these little babies tasted amazing! I got 14 out of mine! Thank you for sharing this recipe Katie!

1. Lily says:

Thanks for saying this. I’ve made them twice with pinto beans and love them, but I just saw the recipe on facebook and want to make them again, but I only have garbanzo beans right now. I’m going to try it!

93. Charlotte says:

I have been on a CCK bender lately! I just can’t stop making these recipes, and I have yet to be disappointed. This one came out INCREDIBLE–I can’t stop eating them! Instead of straight pinto beans, I used canned fat-free refried beans and scaled back the salt a bit and it worked great and saved me a bit of elbow grease. As I am not fully vegan (YET!) I also added some grated parmesan to the mix, which made it even more pizza-y and scrumptious. I bet nutritional yeast would work well too. I also added some red pepper flakes and hot smoked paprika for a bit of kick, and stuffed the balls with low-fat swiss and cheddar cheeses. I will definitely be making these again and again!

94. Jackie says:

Very delicious and so easy to prepare!

95. Maria says:

These look sooooooo good! But I have just one question, would a tomato free sauce work okay in replace of the paste? My boyfriend is allergic to tomatoes (and plenty of other things may I add).
    Speaking of which, I’d love to see you tackle a “nomato” sauce alternative if you could! Your food is always super tasty.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment! Be sure to report back if you do!

96. LiveAloha says:

Question: as anyone tried this using marinara or pizza sauce instead of the paste? Too watery??

97. lisa says:

i see pinto beans & am thinking about trying with taco seasoning! MMMM!!!

98. Bethany Jones says:

These are DIVINE! In the same way it’s hard not to eat your cookie dough before it’s baked, it’s hard not to chow down on these pizza bites before they’re baked. So delicious! Thank you!!

99. kathleen says:

I just got my hands on a surplus of quinuoa and wanted to experiment so I made this and it is divine! I’ve made it twice in three days- it is that good. The first time I made it and formed the balls with a bit of cheese but it was too sweet and the cheese didn’t add as much flavor as i wanted. So the next time i made it, i omitted the additional sugar and threw all the ingredients into the same pan that the quinuoa had just finished cooking in. So fast and really, really delicious!

100. Aryasmum says:

I made them, but my mixture was really soft. Maybe because I used a food processor for mashing the beans. They taste pretty good though!!

1. Lily says:

Just cook your quinoa longer next time. The first time I made them they were a little soft, so I used drier cooked quinoa the next time and they were perfect!

101. Can’t wait to try making these…didn’t have a Super Bowl party this year, but they seem great for entertaining because they’re already GF (but don’t seem GF) which is good for my GF-fearing guests.

102. melissa says:

Made these for dinner tonight. I used treeline cashew cheese in the middle( not melty but delicious) . These turned out great! Will definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe!

103. Dana says:

I love finding great recipes in the archives… BUT, people might not be reading the comments anymore… Does anyone know if these freeze well? I need to make something ahead of time and then cook it later. I was planning on freezing the little balls to pop in the oven after a 7 hour drive. Experience? Anyone?