Fishs Eddy

Spinach and Popeye

I was rejuvenated by the thick Coconut Chai Milkshake.

Ready to take on the world! Or our next destination, at least. I’d found this one the night before, while mapping out a rough itinerary. What did we do before google? Does anyone remember?

fishs eddy nyc

A new favorite store.

And it is called… Fishs Eddy???

Weird name, awesome place! Seriously, why did no one tell me such a store existed outside of my dreams? Imagine a room of wall-to-wall dishware in every shape, size, and color of the rainbow. What you’re imagining is called Fishs Eddy.

You’ll see I like white dishes, if you look at my food photography.

When I first got into photography, I thought one was supposed to use patterned dishware in flashy colors and shapes. But I’ve learned it’s actually better to work with plain dishes so that they don’t steal the thunder from your main subject—the food, itself.

fishs eddy

However, plain need not equal boring.

I stuck to monochromatic dishes: a few baby bowls (shown in the above photo, under the sign that says “the little bowl that could”), a pink mug (top-right of the photo), and a little white plate. Oh, and I also found the cutest straws!

The best part about Fishs Eddy is that they will ship to your home. And because my home is in Texas, that meant no tax (which almost cancels out the shipping fee)! Plus it meant I didn’t have to carry the purchases through the city. On the other hand, this made it more difficult to restrain myself from buying out the store. But I’m proud of the job I did in treating myself—because, after all, I’m on vacation—yet not going overboard.

(By the way, my friend Jessica was not at all interested in Fishs Eddy. She did her own shopping at nearby stores, and we met up afterwards.)

THUMB_colorwarecat

THUMB_bowlglasscat

Later in the evening, we got a quick bite to eat, courtesy of the Whole Foods hot bar.

nycfood

The above picture is actually from last year, as I didn’t bother to take a photo this time. Yesterday’s dinner consisted of the following: okra gumbo, chana masala (I love their chana masala!), quinoa, and a raw kale salad with blueberries and strawberries.

Two favorite stores in one day!

Then we walked to the Harry Potter exhibit, which honestly was not worth the money. But I made up for it by coming back to the hotel and eating chocolate. Chocolate makes everything better ;).

Question of the Day:

What are your favorite types of shops?

When I was a kid, my favorite was obviously Toys R Us. As a teenager, I liked stores such as American Eagle and Gap. But after a while, there are only so many t-shirts, tanks, and jeans a girl can buy–especially when she’s not growing anymore. Now, my favorite stores are places like Barnes and Nobles, Crate and Barrel, and Whole Foods. Or even SuperTarget!

Tags:

1. Lisa C says:

You look BEAUTIFUL!

And oh my stars, how did I not know this store was there? I’ve been to NYC many times and never even heard of it until now. Now I want to go back just to see that store!

2. Oh home goods stores for sure!!!! Clothes go out of style (or I spill things on them!) I like to buy things like that….Those will be the perfect canvas for all the great things you make! 🙂

3. VEGirl says:

I love food shops…. and if they had a nut butter and chocolate only store I would so be there!

4. I actually Ike food shopping more than clothes shopping!! Haha 🙂
    I love going to our local co op, trader joes and whole foods! Best stores everrrr!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

I wish there was a trader joes near me! Everyone always raves about that place and I’ve NEVER been 🙁

5. My favorite store by far is Target! I also love Crate & Barrel! 🙂

6. Leslie says:

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I love to buy clothes, but now I have jeans that I’ve owned for years so I really don’t need another pair because my legs have (finally!) stopped growing. Same thing with plain colored shirts and even shoes!

7. Valerie says:

That looks like the coolest store EVER! And you look absolutely beautiful in front of all the glassware.
    I hate to shop. But I wouldn’t say no to those dishes!

8. I LOVE GROCERY SHOPPING!!! But I used to love clothes as a teenager. Now, I save all my money to buy random finds at the grocery store!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Coconut butter is more important than shoes hehehe

1. Ditto! I’d much rather go on a shopping spree at an awesome health food store with lots of goodies than at an expensive clothing shop! ;-D

9. anja says:

bookstores 😀

10. I love unique little boutiques and Target. And everything in between. 😉

11. I love that your arrangement from the HOT BAR at whole foods even looks picture perfect 🙂

12. Em says:

Wow, what an awesome store!!! New Yorkers are so lucky. They have everything in that city!

13. I could spend about $1,500 in that store in 10 minutes flat. It looks so fun!!

14. Sarahishealthy says:

AWESOME store! It looks like a dream. Although I don’t do food photography, I still appreciate pretty dishware, for parties and all :).

15. Are hypermarts counted? If not, I simply ADORE bookshops. The smell of fresh new books… mmmm….

1. Its the 21st century of a supermarket, furniture store, book store, electrical appliances store, bicycle shop, bakery etc. Like Walmart and Carrefour! 😀 I can spend a half a day walking through those! 😀

16. Michaela says:

I like home stores even more than clothing shops! I went shopping only today and I had to stop myself from buying dishes and cutlery. (but I bought more clothes than home goods ;)) Also I love grocery shopping 😀
    And I was really disappointed today, as I planned on buying shome shoes, but all the ones I liked were made out of leather 🙁

17. My favorite stores are neat little ones–health food stores, all-natural bath & body (and other lovely-smelling goods of the sort) shops, and places with neat, unique little dishes and kitchenware and things. Pretty much any shop with one-of-a-kind stuff. <3 But I also like WholeFoods and Barnes and Noble. I wish we had a WholeFoods and Barnes and Noble nearby; I just have to use the GreenWise sections at Publix (guess there just aren't enough health nuts living around here), and Books-a-Million isn't quite as good as Barnes and Noble. I HATE Walmart. 😛

18. Erika K says:

What a fun find!
    I used to hate shopping at places like Pottery Barn. I considered those places “old lady” stores. But now that I have my own place, I guess I am an old lady and actually look forward to shopping at such places!

19. Jenny says:

Haha, actually I wouldn’t have thought Toys ‘R’ Us as an obvious choice for a child… 😛 Or maybe I was just a super weird child – which is ten times more likely. I loved Borders, the bookstore, as a kid. That and the Royal Sporting House (sports goods) were my favourite stores when I was little… Now, I have to agree that I love Whole Foods. I still love sports stores (“Can I have another basketball?! Ooh look an autographed ManU soccerball!”), too, but bookstores and art stores are at the top of my list. And I love poking around thrift stores and consignment stores to see what sorts of hidden treasures I can find. 🙂

Looks like another good day in NYC for you! Glad to see you’re having fun. Thanks for sharing!

20. Clothes shopping used to rein supreme for me but now I’d have to say my favorite is shopping for groceries! I love looking at different ingredients and coming up with ways to use them. 🙂