Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Hot Apple Crumble Bars

Sweet and buttery hot apple crumble bars.

Apple Crumble Bars - These bars were SO GOOD... Sweet apple filling, buttery crust, and they're really easy to make... @choccoveredkt

They are guaranteed to quickly disappear at parties!

It’s all the deliciousness of apple crumble, packed into a bar!

I’ve done raspberry, mixed berry, and cherry pie versions, but the apple version for last night’s Halloween party might be the best flavor yet. Although I’d first planned to bring my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies, I wanted to make something festive and had gone crazy at Whole Foods the other day when organic Pink Lady apples were on sale. Somehow, apple chocolate chip cookies just didn’t sound very good.

Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever tried the chocolate-apple combination. Why is that? Why do we have chocolate-covered strawberries and chocolate-raspberry truffles, yet no one seems to do anything with chocolate apples? This might be worth looking into…

Apple Crumble Bars

(Can be gluten-free!)

• 1.5 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour, spelt, or oat flour)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar, brown sugar, or sucanat
  • pinch stevia OR 1 additional tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp cold buttery spread, such as Earth Balance (See calorie link below for a fat-free option. And I know a few readers have successfully made this with coconut oil, but I haven’t tried it.)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 cups peeled, chopped apple (8oz)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Stir together the first eight ingredients, making sure to break the butter up really well so that little crumbs form. Scoop 2/3 of the dough into a 4×7, oiled glass dish (or any small pan), and press down firmly. In a separate bowl, stir together the other ingredients. Layer them into the pan, then top with the rest of the dough from the first pan and press down a bit. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F, then cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. Store uncovered, unless you want a soft crust (in which case, you should cover completely with saran wrap).

View Apple Crumble Bars Nutrition Facts

apple crumble bars

Question of the Day:
What kinds of apples do you like best?

Pink Lady apples are definitely my favorites. But I usually like Fujis and Galas, too. And Granny Smiths, but only when they’re cold. Red Delicious apples are my least-favorites; I always seem to get mushy ones.

How I plan to use my leftover apples:

Apple Pie Pancakes

And then I’ll probably just eat the rest plain. Or maybe I need to experiment and come up with a healthy caramel-apple recipe…

Tags: , , ,

1. I can assure you, the chocolate apple combination IS good! especially if it’s a chocolate spread…delicious!

1. Genet says:

I would think that chocolate, CARMEL and apple would be a divine combo too. . . .as I LOVE those large chocolate covered carmel apples at the candy shops!

2. cassie says:

Chocolate apple combo is definitely a winner! I made apple chocolate chip cookies a couple weeks ago and they were all the rave!!!

2. The first picture made me want to reach into the screen and grab the bar out of it! Beautiful job, Katie! (I don’t eat apples much so I don’t have a preference for any, but I do prefer the small redder ones!)

1. I tried the apple-chocolate combination in a ‘cinnamon roll’ once and it was good!!

3. These look SO GOOD!! Crumble is so good! When I was a kid I used to just pick off all the crumble and eat that! Not that I still do that sometimes or anything 😉

And definitely Pink Lady apples!! Or HONEYCRISP!! They are so delicious!!

4. Dalai Lina says:

Beautiful picture. I’m impressed that your bars cut and stayed together so nicely!

5. I’ve had the chocolate apple combination in an edible arrangement before and it IS delicious!! You could definitely do a spin off of that for those apple pancakes.

6. Camille says:

I too like Pink Lady apples but right now my favourite is Ambrosia–not too sweet and super crisp. I hear you on the mushy–mushy apples are the worst! they don’t even cook well. I am trying these bars for sure! thanks so much!!

7. Leo says:

Oh, it’s so nice to finally meet another Pink Lady lover! No one I know seems to have heard of them, which is a shame because they are so crisp and not too sweet and amazing unpeeled

1. harriet says:

I love them!! Heaps of them here in Oz

8. These look amazing, Katie!!! Of course, no surprise there! 😀

I also love how you’re going to use up the leftover apples – I’ve made your apple pancakes two or three times, once for dinner! Yum, yum :)

My favorite apples are honeycrisps!! I’ve been eating at least one a day lately :)

<3 <3

9. Oooooh,these look SO good! I really have to try them,soon!
    Sadly,I cannot tolarate raw apples so good (with baked ones,it’s a different story!) – they always make my stomach ache :( But sometimes,I just HAVE to eat one and OF COURSE,my favorite kind of apple is the Pink Lady! 😀 I hate Gala apples though,they are so… sweet. But in a negative way. Ugh.

10. Anonymous says:

Oh man, chocolate and apples can be a great combination!
    My favourite thing is Honeycrisp apples, made kind of like a caramel apple. Instead of dipping them in caramel, though, you dip them in tempered dark chocolate, then quickly roll them in a mixture of oats and almonds (toasted lightly in a dry skillet, then pulsed in a food processor until uniform in size) before the chocolate sets up. Sometimes I throw little star confetti sprinkles into oat/almond mix. Yum!

11. Tori says:

It’s all about the Honeycrisp apples, which of course have a growing season of about 5 minutes. The ones at whole foods have been huge and delicious all season.

12. These look great! I will definitely give them a go. I wonder how they would turn out with a graham cracker crust type thing on the bottom… We will see!

I get my apples locally from a small family-owned orchard. They are the absolute best, nice and tart and sweet. When I am forced to buy them from the store, I am always disappointed. They just don’t compare!

13. KATIE!! OH MY GOSH… love the texture of these babies!

I gotta say i love pink lady apples, but iv heard honeycrips are bomb– so when i can get my hands on one/ when europe decides to import them, then i shall try em!

14. Crystal says:

Pink Ladies are BY FAR my favorite!! They are like candy to me! I haven’t been able to find them in the stores for the past several weeks they seem to have been replaced by Honey crisps which are my new second favorite … they have a wonderful texture!

15. Erin says:

These look awesome. What did you dress up as for the party you went to? :) My favorite apples are gala but i also love fuji. Delicious!

1. “My Inner Child”
      It’s all I could think of!
      I’ll hopefully post photos tomorrow :)

1. Erin says:

Haha, that’s a great idea! I’m sure we all look forward to pictures.

16. Amanda says:

I just found your blog and I’m so happy I did! These apple crumble bars looks so good. I love how you take indulgent recipes and health-ify them just a bit, without compromising flavor!

Can’t wait to read more. :)

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me… and lol I love your blog title! :)

17. dishmo says:

you’ve never had chocolate dipped apples?!? they’re the best! there’s a store called “Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory” that pretty much specializes in chocolate dipped apples. they have a bunch of different seasonal “flavors” – i think you’d be obsessed (lol)!

check it out – a healthy(er) vegan version would be awesome:

they’re also all about chocolate dipped apples on food network: (paula deen – hehe)

18. Chocolate apple is a great combo! These look fabfab though! Can’t wait to try :)

19. Amber K says:

Personally I’d rather have caramel with apples than chocolate. HoneyCrisp and Ambrosia apples are THE best. Pink Lady after that. Never Red Delicious for eating – those are great to make applesauce with, always mush.

20. Kathy says:

Too bad I haven’t felt like baking nowadays :\ and that I also have no apples in my house…

21. Ruby says:

These look incredible! This just confirmed my desire to go apple-picking before it gets too cold…

22. Clair says:

Does ANYONE like Red Delicious apples?!

My favorite is the Honeycrisp. =)

1. Katie Ann says:

My mom insisted on buying red delicious (gag) for a long time, because she is a creature of habit and an old dog and all that. I finally made her try a Honeycrisp recently and she’s a total convert.

2. Anonymous says:

I like red delicious.

23. Robin says:

These look incredible.
    My favourite apples are Pink Ladys too, but I rarely get them as they are terribly expensive. I usually have Royal Gala, and Granny Smith occasionally (I only eat them cold too!).

24. Amanda says:

They certainly DO have chocolate apple combinations! Haven’t you had a dark chocolate caramel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory?? SOOOO good!

25. Ellen says:

Oh my golly, these look good. And I totally back the idea of playing with chocolate/apple combos. Both things are good with cinnamon, so I bet some combination of that would be good.
    As for apples, fujis and pink ladies tie for faves, although if you can get your hands on a good, crisp red delicious, I do think they can be sublime:)

26. Katie Ann says:

I just had chocolate apple oatmeal this morning! I dice up a little granny smith apple into my oatmeal every morning (just throw it in there with the oats and water and cook an extra minute or so in the microwave, I like the added bulk and texture), and today I wanted to make chocolate oatmeal. I had to pause to consider whether the combination would work, and then shrugged internally, figuring it’d still be edible at worst. Very tasty, especially with some red raspberry preserves on top, too.

My favorite apple is the SweeTango, some wacky new species I just discovered this season, or the similar (and easier to find) Honeycrisp. It must be crisp and tart and juicy, whatever breed it is!

27. Hi apple crumble bars…get in my mouth!

28. Amy says:

I actually did have chocolate covered apples in a fruit bouquet thing once. Surprising, but tasty :).

29. In Germany you can buy chocolate covered dried apples in almost every supermarket and those taste really good!

30. The bars look great. I’ve had fun making baked apple bars this fall too with just about any apple combo…I use whatever was on sale and whatever apples I have on hand…up to a point.

I agree, Red Delicious apples are my least-favorites; and Gala & Fujis top my list of ones I like because they are crisp. I hate mushy apples!

31. yum! I’ll be making these:) My favorite kind of apple would probably be honey crisp or pink lady. Both so good!

32. Nathalie says:

Pink Lady apples are definitely the best. Have you ever been to the Reading Terminal Market in Philly? There’s a vendor there who sells loads of produce for way cheap; My sis and I would always load up on Pink Ladies from there.

I’ve heard Honeycrisp are really good, but I’ve never tried one. Gotta wait until I’m back stateside for that!

1. Oh I have! I used to go there all the time when I was at Bryn Mawr. I miss Philly :(

33. Shelby says:

Fabulous recipe! My favorite apples as of late have been Cortland and Jonagold fresh from the local farmer’s market.

34. Mmmmm, apples!! I love Braeburns best and I grate one into my bowl of oats every morning and top it off with cinnamon- i have a bit of a cinnamon addiction going on at the moment! I know what you mean about mushy apples (I always have to press the apples when i buy them to check) ‘mashed potato’ apple (as i call it) is just wrong!

35. Liberty or Jonathon’s for eating and Jonagold for baking. We have a nice organic place we pick them at as a family. In fact, I didn’t bake at ALL with the apples this year…out of two half-bushels! We ATE them all fresh!

36. Karen, WA state says:

These look fantabulous! Our favorite apples are Honeycrisps, with Pink Ladies as a close second.Gonna be cooking class for my 9 year old son tomorrow… Thanx!

37. Megan says:

Pink Ladys are the ABSOLUTE BEST apples! I absolutely love them! If those are not available, I like Jazz, Fuji, or Honeycrisp. I also only like apples cold… Your bars look cinnamon-y and delicious! I agree with you about Red Delicious- which is ironically what restaurants and stores always carry. Maybe most people (besides foodies) are not particular about their apples?

38. Lou says:

Pink Lady’s are my fav apple too – such an amazing flavour (I only discovered these once I moved to Australia, as they don’t grow in New Zealand) Wow, these bars looks so delicious, I’m totally going to give these a whirl :)

39. Anonymous says:

I just found your blog and although I am not vegan, we eat whole, natural foods, so I am always on the hunt for a good & healthier dessert. I totally agree with your statement that you don’t want people to say “This is good… for a healthy dessert.” I want them to say, “This is good. Period.” My question is about sugar. Have you ever tried any recipe’s with sucanat, and if so, would you grind it first since the crystals are bigger than processed brown sugar? I can’t wait to try your recipe’s!!

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me! And it’s so funny you’d mention Sucanat, because I *just* tried it for the first time last week. Now I am hooked! It’s soooo good… I love the gingerbread flavor.

So far I’ve only tried it in one recipe, but I am planning to use it A LOT in the future, so my future recipes (maybe starting in the next few weeks) will definitely include Sucanat.

40. Anonymous says:

Those look really yummy. And pink lady apples have to be my favorites.
    Also, the commenting thing looks really funny. It looks like I’m you Katie. If the comment looks like myself instead of you then just disregard this.
    -Aja from

41. Kristin says:

Hi Katie,

Just letting you know that I’m sending you the Versatile Blogger award. I just found and really enjoy your site. I can’t wait to try some recipes!

You can pick up the button, if you’d like to pass it on, at my site. :)

1. Aww Kristin, thank you so much! That really means a lot to me.

I’ll definitely check out your site :).

42. JennyBakes says:

These look amazing and I’m bookmarking to try soon.

My favorite apples are mutsu – I love to use them for baking because they are firm and hold up well like Granny Smith but not as tart.

43. yesss!! I had everything to make these except the apples, but then my man came home with a MASSIVE box of apples 😀 😀 !! hot apple crumble bars it is :)

…also, Pink Ladies are my faves, too 😉 they’re all gone from here for the year, though :( *le sigh*

44. Adam says:

yum! I love apple desserts, well I just love apples period!

my favorites are Ambrosia.. not all that common in stores I don’t think, but they’re soo good.. juicy and just sweet enough.. kind of like a Honeycrisp, but better! if you ask me anyway :)

45. Jill says:

Apples in 1st place: pink lady, 2nd: honeycrisp, 3rd: jonathon

46. A says:

I’ve been waiting for these!

47. These look so delicious!! I want to try it :)

Chocolate-covered apples are very good, too. it is like caramel apples, but with chocolate! I had one once at the Chocolate mountain (I think is the store name) and it was a bit too sweet, but still good!

My favorite apples are Honey Crisp!

48. I love gala apples and jonagolds…anything crisp! 😀

49. Gabby says:

Made these last night for a potluck I’m going to today! Just wondering, what kind of vegan butter did you use in your recipe to get it to 84 calories? Thanks for posting these I’ll let you know how they go!

1. Hi Gabby,

The recipe to get 85 calories is linked above the nutritional info on that page. It actually doesn’t use any vegan butter at all.
      Hope everyone likes them!! :)

50. These look amazing! For my birthday, my colleagues sent me a tray of fruit from edible arrangements that included chocolate covered apple slices. They rocked. :)

I love apples (except red delicious.- they are always mushy and mealy). My top three are honeycrisp, sweet tango, and pink lady.

51. Sandra says:

I have to defend my favorite apple Red delish ( sens no one sems to like it) its relly god, but dont by the mushy ones! they dont taste god! but witch apple is god mushy? I alwas go for the real crispie apples! regardless of witch apple brand!

this recepie comes in very handy because i have left over apples from the garden, and they starting to lose the crisp so they are perfekt to bake with! :)

52. Trina says:

These look amazing! My favorite apples are Jazz. A bit similar to Pink Lady apples, but maybe a bit more tart. They are a great blend of tart and sweet in my opinion. I love to eat them cold too :)

53. Renata says:

If you are even considering making these bars…DO IT! I made these bars yesterday with a mix of Granny Smith and Fuji apples (I doubled the recipe, used a 9×13 pan, and used 1/2 ww pastry flour and 1/2 ap flour, I also opted for the brown sugar instead of Stevia) and they were such a hit that sadly, there are no bars this morning. You will be so delighted and so will those who gobble these up if you make them. Pronto!

54. I HATE mushy apples. And Red Delicious in general. Honeycrisp are my favorite lately.

These look awesome! I promised the bf I’d bake if he drove me to the airport at an ungodly hour this week. Perhaps this is the ticket to a happy boy!

55. Lilja says:

Hey, your blog is the cutest!
    I have tried to microwave 70 % chocolate bits so it gets wet like a butter and then cut an apple in half and butter it on the apple and let it dry in the fridge.

It is so delicious, and a chocoholic like you should try it.
    I would recommend to put either tiniest bit of cinnamon or ginger( or both!) on the apple before applying chocolate.

56. Pink lady’s are my absolute favorite apples! I can NEVER find them in the store though, why is that? Luckily honey crisp are right up there with the pink lady’s. I think apples and chocolate is soo good :)

57. Natasha says:

I LOVE pink lady apples, but honeycrisp have stole me heart…:)

58. i made this tuesday and my family LOVED it. the only changes i made was playing with the flour- i had buckwheat, brown rice and spelt that i needed to use up so i mixed all those, and i used coconut flour instead of butter. DELICIOUS! thanks for your great recipes!

59. Sam says:

I made this last night and subbed out the flour for almond meal. It came out delish! I came home today after classes to find only a small square left as my partner ate the rest of it. I plan on trying this out with pumpkin next

1. Oh wow, pumpkin sounds genius!

1. Sam says:

I’m hoping it turns out well, though I can’t decide between pureed pumpkin or roasted pumpkin chunks. Decisions, decisions.

60. Caryn says:

I was thinking about trying this with some soaked dates instead of the brown sugar. (I’m trying to go light on sugar these days). Think it would work? I’d reduce the liquid in general, and maybe some of the oil/butter too.

1. I’d love to hear about your experiment if you do try it!

1. Caryn says:

I tried it! The flavor was great but I think I might have to work on the proportions. I used maybe a half a cup of soaked dates + coconut oil + one packet of stevia. The crust came out a little hard, but it tasted great. I might add a little more liquid to the apples next time, or maybe cook them a bit on the stove in advance. But I think the substitution of dates for brown sugar could definitely be perfected.

61. CARAMEL Apples?! YES PLEASE!!! 😀

62. The Feed says:

Great post! Got to you via foodgawker. Check out The Feed – We are a new food content platform to submit your work – submit a post to generate more traffic and awareness to your site.

63. odorunara says:

Honeycrisp in the US, Jonagold in Japan. Fuji is okay, too.

I think I lost my bread pan in the move, so I used a larger pan than called for and definitely need to try making this again correctly. (Tasted great but didn’t quite spread out right.) I used (non-vegan) yogurt in place of butter/butter substitute because I didn’t have any butter-type thing in the fridge and that worked fine.

Normally after sort of failing to get it right I wouldn’t comment, but I had to ask–for the 85 calories, do you make it into 8 (or 14?) bars like the raspberry version? There wasn’t a serving number on this recipe or the calorie info, so I checked out the original raspberry recipe. Thanks!

64. Madeline says:

Can I use agave as a substitute for the brown sugar?

1. I bet you can, but I haven’t tried it so I can’t tell you about the liquid ratio :-?.

1. Madeline says:

I just subbed agave in the same measurements you used for the brown sugar and it turned out fabulous!!

65. BeccaG says:

Ok, these are positively EVIL!!!! In a good way of course, but I couldn’t stop eating them! My husband really liked them too and he loves things like apple pie, apple crisp etc. He devoured them! Unfortunately so did I so I won’t be making these very often. :-)

1. Aww Becca, that makes me SO happy!!

66. Emily says:

So, you could use ONLY gluten free oat flour in here and it would be ok? I wasn’t sure since there would be absolutely NO gluten.. Didn’t know if it would hold together and such…any thoughts? I’m trying to make it gluten free. :)

1. I’d recommend using a gf mix, such as Arrowhead Mills or Bob’s gf mix. If you used all coconut flour, for example, it’d be crumbly. Another thought is to use a blend of different gf flours and add a little xantham gum, but I’ve never tried it and don’t know the proportions. To be safe, I’d try and find a premade mix.

2. Sara says:

I made it gluten free by using almond flour instead of wheat flour. I don’t get the same coverage Katie does on the top – it looks more like apple crisp with bits of apple sticking out – but it’s amazingly delicious. Crumbly when warm, but holds together well when cold. Of course, I made other modifications so I can’t guarantee that yours will be the same (chilled coconut oil instead of vegan butter and no sugar except the packet of stevia) but you can try as you like if almonds agree with you.

67. Thanks for a fantastic recipe! This is delicious served warm or cold… tastes almost like an apple pie!

68. Nicole says:

Katie-These were absolutely delish! Thank you so much for the recipe! My entire family enjoyed the tasty sweet (but not too sweet) treat.

69. jessica says:

Hey – just wondering – how many servings do these make? it’s not specified and i would love to know! thank you!!

1. It makes an 8×8 pan, so you can cut them into however many you want… it depends on if you want bigger squares or little ones :).

70. Hannah says:

Very delicious! I am new to veganism, and this recipe really hit the spot. Even my parents loved it, and they’re always making fun of my cooking endeavors. Thank you!

71. Audrey says:

When I used to work at Edible Arrangements they’d let us eat some of the fruit and chocolate covered granny smith apples are DELICIOUS! Sweet and tangy.

72. Brittany says:

I really LOVE the idea of these bars but the only thing holding me back is the butter. Id like to leave it out or sub butter for more apple sauce. What do you think? I say your raspberry cobbler bars have no butter but I want apple and a bar that looks soft like the apple ones not crumbly or scone-ish like the raspberry cobbler bars.

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it with anything else. Some commenters say coconut oil works, though.

73. Lisa says:

Can it be made with almond or coconut flower

74. These were delicious, Katie! My coworkers gobbled them up very quickly. I’ve linked back to your blog here:

75. Felicia says:

I just made these today, but instead of cutting into bars, I made it as a pie. My family loved it! My grandpa, who initially turned down the huge portion I dished out to him, finished the slice (with whipped cream!) in record time!
    I had to change up the recipe a bit… Since I was fresh out of brown sugar, I substituted some more white sugar + a tbs of honey. Delicious! I also drizzled a little caramel sauce on the pie before baking… Yum!

76. Cole says:

Ah, hindsight… In writing down the instructions by hand I see I dropped the “1” from “1 1/2 C flour”… That explains a lot. Heh, well it’s in the oven now, let’s see what happens.

77. Megan says:

This blog is AMAZING! Almost all of these recipes have ingredients found in my household! I just started a vegan diet and was worried about how bland and difficult my life would become, then I found this blog and I am so excited to try all of these recipes!! I am about to start out with this recipe as my first try. The only thing I am missing is vegan butter, is there any other substitution you know of besides coconut oil?
    Thank you for being so… Awesome!!

1. Thank you so much for such a sweet comment. Maybe another type of oil will work, but I haven’t tried it, so I can’t vouch for the results. Many regular grocery stores do carry Earth Balance, so it’s worth looking if you haven’t already.

78. Alyssa says:

I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to have found you!! I started eating vegan after I had my son last fall as he is dairy and egg intolerant so I’m having to relearn how to eat after 27 years. Up until now I’ve been living on veggie hummus wraps for all meals the last 6 months…so you are my saving grace! I made these last night and even my crazy picky husband loved them. I did use all agave instead of any sugar and they are seriously fabulous….i also drizzled a little melted chocolate over top bc you know chocolate is totally essential. Although the biggest hit so far has been the deep dish cookie…oh if you could have seen his jaw drop when I said it was chick pea based! Priceless! You totally rock!!

1. aw that made me smile :)
      So glad they turned out well!

79. Kristy says:

I made these tonight with coconut oil, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 5 packets of Stevia. I used 1/3 each whole wheat, white, and oat flour, and a little roasted coconut. They were fantastic, everyone I had over had seconds. This is my favourite recipe of yours after the chick pea blondies. Keep them coming, you are awesome!

80. vogelstar says:

my hubby and I made these last night to celebrate my new baking pan :)
    perfect choice for it’s first dessert

81. Amber says:

How many does his serve?

82. Amber says:

I meant how many does this recipe serve, haha.

1. If I remember correctly, I think it makes 8 bars.

83. Mandy Cheshire says:

This was FABULOUS! Really! I used coconut oil in place of vegan butter, and the slight hint of coconut was wonderful with the apples! Everything about this recipe (texture, taste, etc.) was perfect! We all enjoyed it, and my daughter, who is 4, said she wants this every day. She said, “We can eat our vegetables and then THIS!” :)

84. Lorraine says:

I made these on Saturday, and they were so delicious! I have just about polished the whole 8″ pan off by myself, because lucky for me, my husband doesn’t like them. I told him there is something wrong with his tastebuds.

85. Anonymous says:

Do you use the butter sticks or butter spread?

1. I used the spread, but it shouldn’t matter.

86. RE says:

Yumm!!! I love crisp and the “crisp” topping is my favorite. So I’m salivating and wishing I had bought lots of apples earlier at the market!

I really loved JonaGold apples this season. I usually love pink ladies or honey crisp.

Am I the odd man out that likes a red delicious apple!?!? It’s so juicy and fluffy soft lol.

This looks amazing and ill be making it with coconut oil bc of dairy allergy and I stopped using earth balance vegan butter bc it is sook bad for you!!! Go research!

87. Mary says:

These look great. My favorite apple is Ginger Gold, but the are only available for a very short time, and much like red delicious they do get soft. I bet this would be fab with pears as well? Has anyone tried this with gluten free flour? I think I will make it tomorrow!!

88. Marnie says:

My favorite apple of all times is Honey Crisp. It’s only available for a short time and it’s kind of expensive for an apple but definitely worth the wait and the price! Thanks for the great recipe for apple crumble bars Katie!

89. Aimee B. says:

Wow, this looks AMAZING and perfect for chilly fall weather. I think I’d like mine with a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream. :)

My favorite apples are and always have been McIntosh. I have a hard time finding them though. :/ My kids have always loved Granny Smiths.

90. SkiGirl says:

Is there a way to make this with a pumpkin filliing? I’m a new vegetarian and want to try to introduce the “world of healthy eating” to a bunch of skepticals. I really want to make this for thanksgiving, but I can’t figure out how to make a pumpkin filling, or if it would even be good! Please HELP!!!!!!!!

91. SkiGirl says:

1. You never know unless you try! :)

92. Kelsey says:

A new favorite. Changes since I am not vegan, but am wheat/corn/dairy and sugar free: Added 1 egg. Used honey and Xylitol instead of other sugars. Used almond milk. Flour blend was Bob’s Red Mill GF flour mix w/ xantham gum. Chose real butter (an allergy splurge since I was sharing this with friends) for inside and coconut oil for topping glaze (from single serving apple crumble recipe). Swapped cornstarch for tapioca flour. Used pears instead of apples–it’s what I had on hand. SOOOO YUMMY! Drizzled glaze on top after baking while cooling. Thanks Katie for another hit!

93. Riana says:

I made this for my husband one day and now he asks for it ALL THE TIME…yaaay. (that’s sarcasm 😉 ) He usually doesn’t like my cooking. I use King Arthur’s White Whole Wheat Flour and half coconut sugar/half brown sugar. Thank you Katie for your delicious recipe! (that I have to make all the time).

94. Cici says:

My husband loved these! They came out great!

95. Brittany says:

How many servings does this make?

96. Vicky says:

Thank you for another fabulous recipe Katie! I happened to have a couple Pink Lady apples in the house (1 was just right for the recipe), so finding this was perfect timing. My favorite is a tie: Honey Crisp and/or Pink Lady.

I made the recipe exactly as written, and I may get bold and make apple/raspberry next time. Will report back!

97. Nancy Tipton says:

try braeburn apples (from new zealand) when they’re in season…wonderfully sweet and tart, very crisp, very good…

98. Erin says:

Do you think if I doubled the recipe (because it looks freakin’ amazing) and baked it in a 9X11 pan I could bake it for the same amount of time?

and oh yeah, pink lady apples!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Doubling the recipe works. You might have to tweak the baking time by just a few minutes.

99. Lisa says:

O-M-G!!! This is an incredible! Forget healthy! I used half Earth Balance and coconut oil.

100. Corina says:

Haha,yup!:) Red delicious are not very delicious.

101. This recipe is SO GOOD! I tried it out a couple of months ago but only just got around to blogging my results. They’re here if you’d like to see:

1. Thank you so much for such a wonderful post! (I don’t have an openid so I couldn’t comment, but I loved reading it!)

1. Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it and I hope I did your recipe justice :)

102. Katherine says:

This sounds delicious! I apsolutely love the honey crisp. those are just the best, hands down. But, I do like the golden delicious as well, as long as they are cold. apples MUST be cold or else i won’t eat them !! HAh! I’m going to try these out tomorrow and maybe try to leave out the cornstarch because our cornstarch expspired in 2007. also i’m going to make them with apple sauce instead oof butter

103. Shea says:

Rocky mountain chocolate factory has chocolate apples! Cheesecake apple is my fav , grahm crackers with white chocolate over a granny smith! Soo good

104. I just made this today! Absolutely love it. I’ll be sharing it on my blog on Friday! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

105. Cara says:

These were DELICIOUS. I scraped the pan to enjoy every last bite. I made them to impress my vegan brother in law for Thanksgiving and I’ll sure be making them again! The comments really helped me craft the best ingredient list so I’ll share how I made them: I used half whole wheat flour (not pastry) and half ground almond meal, half earth balance and half coconut oil, half agave and half maple syrup, and granny smith apples. Mine were pretty soft and I didn’t have enough dough left to cover the top entirely but tried my best and they it did turn out to look like crumb topping.

106. TheDerpingLink says:

Thank you soo much for this recipe! My family loves it!

107. kristen s says:

i’ve made these twice, and they are out of this world! no one would know they were “healthy”. i use coconut oil instead of butter, and coconut sugar with maple syrup. so moist and yummy, better than my traditional apple bars! next time, I’ll probably reduce the amount of coconut sugar, i could easily get away with even less.

108. AnnaBananaBelle says:

Oh my gosh this looks incredible! i have always been a fan of cooked apple everything. I was wondering though Katie, if you are in fact a vegan? I don’t think i ever saw you call yourself a vegan(but i may have just missed it) but i did notice that i think all of your recipes are vegan or can be.

109. AnnaBananaBelle says:

I would like to try soon…anything i can replace the cornstarch with?

110. Rosie says:

I was wondering how many bars this made…if cut the size of the ones in the picture?
    As I wanted to divide the recipe and make a small amount just for myself haha

1. Alicia says:

Scrolling thru the comments, I saw Katie mentioning it made 8 bars ^~^

111. Alicia says:

I had applesauce left over which was about to expire ( it expires 7 days after opening…is that normal?:o) and I saw this recipe. So although it had no applesauce in it, I saw the Raspberry Cobbler Bar which seemed pretty similar except the butter was replaced by applesauce. So me being me, I decided to wing it and replace the butter with 1/2 cup applesauce and half the amt of milk. But the dough didn’t become crumbly as in the recipe and instead it was pretty sticky….kind of like cookie dough… So I guess it’s a failure for an Apple Crumble Bar, but it still tastes pretty good haha just that the crust is soft and not crispy/crumbly xD just FYI for those thinking abt making it fat-free

112. Lora says:

I made these with only applesauce instead of oil and they turned out great! It’s sort of a crunchy texture with out the oil but it’s still really good. I also don’t use any sugar, just a packet of stevia and its enough for me. I think the sweetness from the apples is just right. Lastly, I use coconut nectar instead (and only a tablespoon) with tapioca starch. I make this at least once a week in the fall. love love love!! Thank you

113. Jessica says:

I specifically bought organic Ambrosia apples for this after seeing all the comments, and I ate so many of the pieces as I was chopping, I was worried I wouldn’t have enough for 2 cups lol. Turns out I did 😉 They were the perfect crisp and flavor. Normally I’m ALL about the Gala ones though.

Anyway… I just took this out of the oven and I’m sitting here patiently while it cools. I already KNOW that it is going to taste delicious because there has not been one thing I’ve ever made from your website that WASN’T mind-blowing. I’m just hoping there is at least some left for tomorrow, because after my boyfriend gets his hands on it after dinner…. there’s no telling what will happen! :)

114. Deborah says:

McIntosh have always been and will always be my favourite apple. They might not be great for apple pie due to their high moisture, but they are perfect for apple crisp, apple sauce, and baked apples. And they are great to just eat straight out of the crate.

It’s my son’s b-day today. I wonder how he’d feel about getting a Birthday Apple Crisp instead of a Cake. lol

115. claire says:

Hi Kate

Would you let me know how many slices you cut your apple crumble bar into. Thanks

116. Elaina says:

I’d like to try making the apple crumb bars for Thanksgiving this week but I avoid using cornstarch because it’s GMO. Any suggestions on a good alternative for cornstarch in this recipe? Would arrowroot powder work?

Thank you so much! I love your site! I just found it a few days ago and have been referring back to it obsessively! I think Santa Hubby is getting me your book for Christmas next month :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Rapunzel (available at whole foods) makes a non-gmo cornstarch.

117. Anna says:

Hi! These bars look great! Do you think it would be ok to add some mini choc chips??

118. Biz says:

So, yesterday, I was really stressed and one of my go-to stress relievers is baking (duh)…But I was also in a hurry, didn’t read through the directions, and I accidentally combined all the ingredients into one big blob. Although I was looking forward to the apple crumble bars, I decided to bake it anyway because you can’t really go wrong when mixing apples, butter, and cinnamon, right? It turned out to be this delicious, gooey apple cake/bread!! Such a wonderful mistake! So, for anyone that ends up making the same mistake I did, just go with it!! I also added a raw, vegan almond-based icing to the top. So good! Thanks for all the amazing recipes, Katie!! Keep ’em coming!