Hot Apple Crumble Bars

Sweet and buttery hot apple crumble bars.

Apple Crumble Bars - These bars were SO GOOD... Sweet apple filling, buttery crust, and they're really easy to make... http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/10/30/hot-apple-crumble-bars/ @choccoveredkt

They are guaranteed to quickly disappear at parties!

It’s all the deliciousness of apple crumble, packed into a bar!

I’ve done raspberry, mixed berry, and cherry pie versions, but the apple version for last night’s Halloween party might be the best flavor yet. Although I’d first planned to bring my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies, I wanted to make something festive and had gone crazy at Whole Foods the other day when organic Pink Lady apples were on sale. Somehow, apple chocolate chip cookies just didn’t sound very good.

Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever tried the chocolate-apple combination. Why is that? Why do we have chocolate-covered strawberries and chocolate-raspberry truffles, yet no one seems to do anything with chocolate apples? This might be worth looking into…

pin-it

Apple Crumble Bars

(Can be gluten-free!)

• 1.5 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour, spelt, or oat flour)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar, brown sugar, or sucanat
  • pinch stevia OR 1 additional tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp cold buttery spread, such as Earth Balance (See calorie link below for a fat-free option. And I know a few readers have successfully made this with coconut oil, but I haven’t tried it.)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 cups peeled, chopped apple (8oz)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Stir together the first eight ingredients, making sure to break the butter up really well so that little crumbs form. Scoop 2/3 of the dough into a 4×7, oiled glass dish (or any small pan), and press down firmly. In a separate bowl, stir together the other ingredients. Layer them into the pan, then top with the rest of the dough from the first pan and press down a bit. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F, then cool at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. Store uncovered, unless you want a soft crust (in which case, you should cover completely with saran wrap).

View Apple Crumble Bars Nutrition Facts

apple crumble bars

Question of the Day:
What kinds of apples do you like best?

Pink Lady apples are definitely my favorites. But I usually like Fujis and Galas, too. And Granny Smiths, but only when they’re cold. Red Delicious apples are my least-favorites; I always seem to get mushy ones.

How I plan to use my leftover apples:

apple-pie-pancakes_thumb
Apple Pie Pancakes

And then I’ll probably just eat the rest plain. Or maybe I need to experiment and come up with a healthy caramel-apple recipe…

Tags: , , ,

1. I can assure you, the chocolate apple combination IS good! especially if it’s a chocolate spread…delicious!

1. Genet says:

I would think that chocolate, CARMEL and apple would be a divine combo too. . . .as I LOVE those large chocolate covered carmel apples at the candy shops!

2. cassie says:

Chocolate apple combo is definitely a winner! I made apple chocolate chip cookies a couple weeks ago and they were all the rave!!!

2. The first picture made me want to reach into the screen and grab the bar out of it! Beautiful job, Katie! (I don’t eat apples much so I don’t have a preference for any, but I do prefer the small redder ones!)

1. I tried the apple-chocolate combination in a ‘cinnamon roll’ once and it was good!!

3. These look SO GOOD!! Crumble is so good! When I was a kid I used to just pick off all the crumble and eat that! Not that I still do that sometimes or anything 😉

And definitely Pink Lady apples!! Or HONEYCRISP!! They are so delicious!!

4. Dalai Lina says:

Beautiful picture. I’m impressed that your bars cut and stayed together so nicely!

5. I’ve had the chocolate apple combination in an edible arrangement before and it IS delicious!! You could definitely do a spin off of that for those apple pancakes.

6. Camille says:

I too like Pink Lady apples but right now my favourite is Ambrosia–not too sweet and super crisp. I hear you on the mushy–mushy apples are the worst! they don’t even cook well. I am trying these bars for sure! thanks so much!!

7. Leo says:

Oh, it’s so nice to finally meet another Pink Lady lover! No one I know seems to have heard of them, which is a shame because they are so crisp and not too sweet and amazing unpeeled

1. harriet says:

I love them!! Heaps of them here in Oz

8. These look amazing, Katie!!! Of course, no surprise there! 😀

I also love how you’re going to use up the leftover apples – I’ve made your apple pancakes two or three times, once for dinner! Yum, yum 🙂

My favorite apples are honeycrisps!! I’ve been eating at least one a day lately 🙂

<3 <3

9. Oooooh,these look SO good! I really have to try them,soon!
    Sadly,I cannot tolarate raw apples so good (with baked ones,it’s a different story!) – they always make my stomach ache 🙁 But sometimes,I just HAVE to eat one and OF COURSE,my favorite kind of apple is the Pink Lady! 😀 I hate Gala apples though,they are so… sweet. But in a negative way. Ugh.

10. Anonymous says:

Oh man, chocolate and apples can be a great combination!
    My favourite thing is Honeycrisp apples, made kind of like a caramel apple. Instead of dipping them in caramel, though, you dip them in tempered dark chocolate, then quickly roll them in a mixture of oats and almonds (toasted lightly in a dry skillet, then pulsed in a food processor until uniform in size) before the chocolate sets up. Sometimes I throw little star confetti sprinkles into oat/almond mix. Yum!

11. Tori says:

It’s all about the Honeycrisp apples, which of course have a growing season of about 5 minutes. The ones at whole foods have been huge and delicious all season.

12. These look great! I will definitely give them a go. I wonder how they would turn out with a graham cracker crust type thing on the bottom… We will see!

I get my apples locally from a small family-owned orchard. They are the absolute best, nice and tart and sweet. When I am forced to buy them from the store, I am always disappointed. They just don’t compare!

13. KATIE!! OH MY GOSH… love the texture of these babies!

I gotta say i love pink lady apples, but iv heard honeycrips are bomb– so when i can get my hands on one/ when europe decides to import them, then i shall try em!

14. Crystal says:

Pink Ladies are BY FAR my favorite!! They are like candy to me! I haven’t been able to find them in the stores for the past several weeks they seem to have been replaced by Honey crisps which are my new second favorite … they have a wonderful texture!

15. Erin says:

These look awesome. What did you dress up as for the party you went to? 🙂 My favorite apples are gala but i also love fuji. Delicious!

1. “My Inner Child”
      It’s all I could think of!
      I’ll hopefully post photos tomorrow 🙂

1. Erin says:

Haha, that’s a great idea! I’m sure we all look forward to pictures.

16. Amanda says:

I just found your blog and I’m so happy I did! These apple crumble bars looks so good. I love how you take indulgent recipes and health-ify them just a bit, without compromising flavor!

Can’t wait to read more. 🙂

1. Aww I’m so glad you found me… and lol I love your blog title! 🙂

17. dishmo says:

you’ve never had chocolate dipped apples?!? they’re the best! there’s a store called “Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory” that pretty much specializes in chocolate dipped apples. they have a bunch of different seasonal “flavors” – i think you’d be obsessed (lol)!

check it out – a healthy(er) vegan version would be awesome: https://rockymountainchocolatefactory.com/rmcf/control/productList

they’re also all about chocolate dipped apples on food network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chocolate-dipped-apples-recipe/index.html (paula deen – hehe)

18. Chocolate apple is a great combo! These look fabfab though! Can’t wait to try 🙂

19. Amber K says:

Personally I’d rather have caramel with apples than chocolate. HoneyCrisp and Ambrosia apples are THE best. Pink Lady after that. Never Red Delicious for eating – those are great to make applesauce with, always mush.

20. Kathy says:

THAT LOOKS AMAZING o_o

Too bad I haven’t felt like baking nowadays :\ and that I also have no apples in my house…