Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Triple-Layer Chocolate Mousse Fudge Cake

Vegan Dessert of the Year

I was so extremely honored when chose me to provide the dessert component of their “Vegan Recipes of the Year” feature. This was an intimidating task; not only was I in the company of three incredibly accomplished individuals (two popular cookbook authors and an award-winning chef), I also wanted to show that healthy and vegan food need not be bland nor boring.

I first browsed through my list of Healthy Dessert Recipes.

One thing was for sure: the dessert of the year had to include chocolate.

The above cake is based on my Magic Chocolate Pie.

It’s one of my favorite recipes on the entire blog.

Everyone loves that pie. (But I love it so much that I hardly ever share!) The chocolate pie, itself, could easily be my recipe of the year, which is why I chose it for the feature. However, to take the recipe up a notch in fanciness, I added two more layers—and some fresh strawberries for good measure.

cake 1

Question of the Day:

What would be your dessert of the year?

You can see mine here on

And I’ll be back tomorrow—with a new Larabar flavor!

1. Steph says:

Looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it :)

2. You have no idea how amazed I am by these pictures! Your best ever, Katie!!! Making it into a poster to paste on my wall right now…

My dessert of the year would be my vegan version of fat free cinnamon rolls!

1. Hmm Katie, I don’t think the link to is working!

1. Eek! Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it! :)

3. Katie, that looks sooo ridiculously good!!! I just want to shovel it into my mouth right now!

4. Denise says:

Hey, great work Katie! I tried the pie version, and my whole family loved it..until the hubby and I revealed it was tofu based lol, my daughters stopped mid bite and refused to eat the rest :( they are only 10 and 12 and to rebel, they are anti-tofu and any ‘fake meat’’s a dying shame really. My Father in Law (a traditional Quebec french native) continued to devour his slice, and complimented me on how delish it was 😀 Next time I make this, I will def not inform anyone of the tofu addition 😉 Thank you so much for making dessert healthy, I am a big fan for sure. <3

1. Maya says:

It’s so funny how people are scared of tofu!!! My husband was about to taste something I had made with tofu, but stopped when I told him what it was. He seems to think he will spontaneously grow breasts if he eats one bite :)

5. Congrats on this honor and recognition! That pie looks wonderful!

6. Megan says:

Katie that looks amazing! Congratulations on getting to provide the dessert recipe! I am in awe of your creativity and ability to think of recipes in your head and transform them into a delicious reality! Your pie looks beautiful and am I sure that lots of people will enjoy your hard work!

7. Maya says:

Congrats Katie! Wow- so much exciting stuff going on for you :) All the best!

8. Katie, you have outdone yourself this time! Very NICE! Looks scrumptious.

My dessert of the year… hmmm… REALLY hard to choose. But I did just have a white chocolate caramel macadamia nut cheesecake the day before yesterday that was pretty up there. I think it could easily be veganized! :)

1. Melissa says:

Ummmmm… you can’t just say you made that amazing sounding dessert and not share the recipe! 😉 Link link link?

9. Emily says:

Congrats Katie! You deserve it:)

10. Looks delish! But the link above doesn’t go to! :(

11. Aja says:

Looks really good. Congratulations.

12. Congratulations Katie! Oh my- that looks so good!!!
    My dessert of the year? I don’t have an answer to that. I mean, there are desserts I love (chocolate, ice cream), but I don’t think I have had anything worthy of that title. Hmm- I think this gives me a good excuse to do more taste-testing!

13. auntiecarole says:

Love the picture of the new cake, but can’t find the recipe on the post??

What makes up the two new layers??

Thanks a bunch!

14. auntiecarole says:

Love the picture of the new dessert, but I can’t find the recipe on the post?
    What makes up the two new layers? Thanks a bunch—love your website, from one chocoholic to another!

15. Erin says:

Wow, Katie this looks awesome. How exactly did you make it? Layer it with your chocolate cake? I want that slice to eat! :)

1. Yes, it’s my healthy chocolate cake, chocolate fudge pie, and then coconut cool whip :). Sorry, I messed up the recipe link. Here’s the correct link to the recipe:

16. Moni'sMeals says:

That is great Katie, congrats!

I think this is perfect. oh wait…maybe just a shaving of more chocolate on top. :) Did you save a slice for lil ol me?!

17. Woah…that is stunning! I’m going to join the crowd and say it doesn’t link to! Just back to your pie. Not that that’s a bad thing….

18. Delish! ….Whatever I can eat without 100% guilt is a recipe of the year for me- that’s why your blog is so perfect!

19. Congrats! Mine would be cake with a TON of icing. delicious icing. don’t even care about the cake too much.

20. Congratulations! This looks so good :)

21. Elle says:

I was so excited to see you on! Congratulations, you totally deserved it.

22. How cool! Yum new Lara flavour?! Can’t wait :)

23. I love layered desserts b/c you get to enjoy the taste of multiple things all rolled into one. That’s one reason I love making bars because I can layer them, add in all kinds of different type of choc chips, white choc chips, PB layers, gooey layers, crunchy layers, add frosting or a drizzle…I love layers!

24. lovelovelove the photos!! That cake looks amazing! 😀 where’s the link to make the bottom part, though? I can only get to the chocolate bar pie part. I assume that’s your healthy whip cream on top :)

25. Lucy says:

Nom, nom, nom, that looks so delicious. It looks so beautifully done :)

26. Kit-Kat says:

Yummy! A perfect Sunday night dessert.
    My dessert of the year would probably be a dense, fudgey brownie with a crackly top…. no nuts. I like my brownies without nuts. Do you prefer brownies with nuts or not?

1. Hmmm… I like them ANY way! After all, they’re BROWNIES!! 😉

27. Kathy says:

I love the recipes on your blog; whenever I make something from here, and let my family taste test, they always, ALWAYS tell me it tastes great! (the chocolate pumpkin pie brownies are nice and fudgy :)
    I don’t quite know what would be my dessert of the year though!

1. Aww Kathy, that makes me SO happy!

28. Q. Le says:

Dear Katie,

I’ve been reading your blog for awhile and just wanted to say: I try not to read it late at night because your pictures and descriptions tend to increase my appetite tenfold.

In short: I love your blog. Thank you for being so generous with your recipes, and for sharing your love of chocolate and all that is deliciously healthy with the world :)

29. This looks soo good! I think I would try a chocolate and almond milk ganache for a frosting when I try this. I love have two desserts in one!

30. Anita says:

Congratulations! This one is definitely one I am going to try – thanks for sharing!

31. Oh my goodness that is so beautiful! Can’t wait for that new larabar flavor!

32. Hannah says:

Congratulations!!! I tend to prefer my chocolate straight-up rather than in desserts, but this does look incredible!

33. That looks too delicious to pass up!

34. Congrats!
    My vegan dessert of the year would have to include ice cream! 😀

35. Leashieloo says:

Chocolate is my favorite, this cake looks beyond amazing!

36. LizAshlee says:

Just reading the title, it sounds amazing!! :)

37. Congrats on being chosen! I can’t think of anyone more deserving!! :) And that cake looks so incredible! The mousse looks so light and fluffy yet the cake looks decadent! YUM!

38. Congratulations! That pie is my favorite recipe on your blog…I actually just posted about it!

So excited for you! :) Thanks for being my favorite resource for all things chocolate.

39. J.Godbolt says:

I love chocolate and every time I look at this picture I get hungry for one. Great job!

40. well I’m waiting for healthy cinnamon rolls! :)

41. Michaela says:

how cool is that?
    and sooo delicious!
    btw, I made your deep dish cookie pie for a vegan BBQ last week and everyone asked me for the recipe :)

42. Kathleen says:

Congratulations Katie! I am not surprised they picked YOU. YOU are just such an amazing person inside and out! 😀

43. Jaye says:

I made this glorious three layer cake for my dad’s birthday last weekend with the coconut whipped cream and all. Everyone LOVED it and licked their plates clean off. I got raaaaving reviews and when I revealed that the mousse part of the cake was tofu, everyone was so surprised they kept asking, “wait. so, this is tofu?” The entire cake was gone in a day…
    Anyways, thank you so much for creating this delicious recipe and I love your blog, and you totally deserve the vegan recipe of the year title!! (:

1. Aw so glad you made it! Happy birthday to your dad!!

44. Jami says:

i love your blog! i just wanted to tell you that i made this cake (minus the whipped topping) for my boyfriends birthday! he isn’t a vegan, but lactose-intolerant so I tried to find a good recipe for him and this had rave reviews. he really liked it (even though the bottom cake layer was slightly overcooked oops). and the mousse layer was a-ma-zing!

in case anyone was wondering for the oil i used (melted) coconut oil, almond breeze original for the non-dairy milk, bakers chocolate chunks for the chips, and 2.5 Tbsp raw honey for the sweetener.

thanks Katie you rock 😀

1. Thank you so much for trying it. Happy birthday to him!