Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Triple-Layer Chocolate Mousse Fudge Cake

Vegan Dessert of the Year

I was so extremely honored when chose me to provide the dessert component of their “Vegan Recipes of the Year” feature. This was an intimidating task; not only was I in the company of three incredibly accomplished individuals (two popular cookbook authors and an award-winning chef), I also wanted to show that healthy and vegan food need not be bland nor boring.

I first browsed through my list of Healthy Dessert Recipes.

One thing was for sure: the dessert of the year had to include chocolate.

The above cake is based on my Magic Chocolate Pie.

It’s one of my favorite recipes on the entire blog.

Everyone loves that pie. (But I love it so much that I hardly ever share!) The chocolate pie, itself, could easily be my recipe of the year, which is why I chose it for the feature. However, to take the recipe up a notch in fanciness, I added two more layers—and some fresh strawberries for good measure.

cake 1

Question of the Day:

What would be your dessert of the year?

You can see mine here on

And I’ll be back tomorrow—with a new Larabar flavor!

1. Steph says:

Looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it 🙂

2. You have no idea how amazed I am by these pictures! Your best ever, Katie!!! Making it into a poster to paste on my wall right now…

My dessert of the year would be my vegan version of fat free cinnamon rolls!

1. Hmm Katie, I don’t think the link to is working!

1. Eek! Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it! 🙂

3. Denise says:

Hey, great work Katie! I tried the pie version, and my whole family loved it..until the hubby and I revealed it was tofu based lol, my daughters stopped mid bite and refused to eat the rest 🙁 they are only 10 and 12 and to rebel, they are anti-tofu and any ‘fake meat’’s a dying shame really. My Father in Law (a traditional Quebec french native) continued to devour his slice, and complimented me on how delish it was 😀 Next time I make this, I will def not inform anyone of the tofu addition 😉 Thank you so much for making dessert healthy, I am a big fan for sure. <3

1. Maya says:

It’s so funny how people are scared of tofu!!! My husband was about to taste something I had made with tofu, but stopped when I told him what it was. He seems to think he will spontaneously grow breasts if he eats one bite 🙂

4. Congrats on this honor and recognition! That pie looks wonderful!

5. Megan says:

Katie that looks amazing! Congratulations on getting to provide the dessert recipe! I am in awe of your creativity and ability to think of recipes in your head and transform them into a delicious reality! Your pie looks beautiful and am I sure that lots of people will enjoy your hard work!

6. Maya says:

Congrats Katie! Wow- so much exciting stuff going on for you 🙂 All the best!

7. Aja says:

Looks really good. Congratulations.

8. Congratulations Katie! Oh my- that looks so good!!!
    My dessert of the year? I don’t have an answer to that. I mean, there are desserts I love (chocolate, ice cream), but I don’t think I have had anything worthy of that title. Hmm- I think this gives me a good excuse to do more taste-testing!

9. auntiecarole says:

Love the picture of the new cake, but can’t find the recipe on the post??

What makes up the two new layers??

Thanks a bunch!

10. auntiecarole says:

Love the picture of the new dessert, but I can’t find the recipe on the post?
    What makes up the two new layers? Thanks a bunch—love your website, from one chocoholic to another!

11. Erin says:

Wow, Katie this looks awesome. How exactly did you make it? Layer it with your chocolate cake? I want that slice to eat! 🙂

1. Yes, it’s my healthy chocolate cake, chocolate fudge pie, and then coconut cool whip :). Sorry, I messed up the recipe link. Here’s the correct link to the recipe:

12. Delish! ….Whatever I can eat without 100% guilt is a recipe of the year for me- that’s why your blog is so perfect!

13. Congrats! Mine would be cake with a TON of icing. delicious icing. don’t even care about the cake too much.

14. Congratulations! This looks so good 🙂

15. Elle says:

I was so excited to see you on! Congratulations, you totally deserved it.

16. How cool! Yum new Lara flavour?! Can’t wait 🙂

17. lovelovelove the photos!! That cake looks amazing! 😀 where’s the link to make the bottom part, though? I can only get to the chocolate bar pie part. I assume that’s your healthy whip cream on top 🙂

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Katie, that looks sooo ridiculously good!!! I just want to shovel it into my mouth right now!

19. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says:

Katie, you have outdone yourself this time! Very NICE! Looks scrumptious.

My dessert of the year… hmmm… REALLY hard to choose. But I did just have a white chocolate caramel macadamia nut cheesecake the day before yesterday that was pretty up there. I think it could easily be veganized! 🙂

1. Melissa says:

Ummmmm… you can’t just say you made that amazing sounding dessert and not share the recipe! 😉 Link link link?