Triple-Layer Chocolate Mousse Fudge Cake

cake-1

Vegan Dessert of the Year

I was so extremely honored when Vegan.com chose me to provide the dessert component of their “Vegan Recipes of the Year” feature. This was an intimidating task; not only was I in the company of three incredibly accomplished individuals (two popular cookbook authors and an award-winning chef), I also wanted to show that healthy and vegan food need not be bland nor boring.

I first browsed through my list of Healthy Dessert Recipes.

One thing was for sure: the dessert of the year had to include chocolate.

cake-3

The above cake is based on my Magic Chocolate Pie.

It’s one of my favorite recipes on the entire blog.

Everyone loves that pie. (But I love it so much that I hardly ever share!) The chocolate pie, itself, could easily be my recipe of the year, which is why I chose it for the feature. However, to take the recipe up a notch in fanciness, I added two more layers—and some fresh strawberries for good measure.

cake 1

Question of the Day:

What would be your dessert of the year?

You can see mine here on Vegan.com.

And I’ll be back tomorrow—with a new Larabar flavor!

1. Steph says:

Looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it 🙂

2. You have no idea how amazed I am by these pictures! Your best ever, Katie!!! Making it into a poster to paste on my wall right now…

My dessert of the year would be my vegan version of fat free cinnamon rolls!

1. Hmm Katie, I don’t think the link to vegan.com is working!

1. Eek! Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it! 🙂

3. Denise says:

Hey, great work Katie! I tried the pie version, and my whole family loved it..until the hubby and I revealed it was tofu based lol, my daughters stopped mid bite and refused to eat the rest 🙁 they are only 10 and 12 and to rebel, they are anti-tofu and any ‘fake meat’ products..it’s a dying shame really. My Father in Law (a traditional Quebec french native) continued to devour his slice, and complimented me on how delish it was 😀 Next time I make this, I will def not inform anyone of the tofu addition 😉 Thank you so much for making dessert healthy, I am a big fan for sure. <3

1. Maya says:

It’s so funny how people are scared of tofu!!! My husband was about to taste something I had made with tofu, but stopped when I told him what it was. He seems to think he will spontaneously grow breasts if he eats one bite 🙂

4. Congrats on this honor and recognition! That pie looks wonderful!

5. Megan says:

Katie that looks amazing! Congratulations on getting to provide the dessert recipe! I am in awe of your creativity and ability to think of recipes in your head and transform them into a delicious reality! Your pie looks beautiful and am I sure that lots of people will enjoy your hard work!

6. Maya says:

Congrats Katie! Wow- so much exciting stuff going on for you 🙂 All the best!

7. Aja says:

Looks really good. Congratulations.

8. Congratulations Katie! Oh my- that looks so good!!!
    My dessert of the year? I don’t have an answer to that. I mean, there are desserts I love (chocolate, ice cream), but I don’t think I have had anything worthy of that title. Hmm- I think this gives me a good excuse to do more taste-testing!

9. auntiecarole says:

Love the picture of the new cake, but can’t find the recipe on the post??

What makes up the two new layers??

Thanks a bunch!

10. auntiecarole says:

Love the picture of the new dessert, but I can’t find the recipe on the post?
    What makes up the two new layers? Thanks a bunch—love your website, from one chocoholic to another!

11. Erin says:

Wow, Katie this looks awesome. How exactly did you make it? Layer it with your chocolate cake? I want that slice to eat! 🙂

1. Yes, it’s my healthy chocolate cake, chocolate fudge pie, and then coconut cool whip :). Sorry, I messed up the recipe link. Here’s the correct link to the recipe: http://vegan.com/recipes/vegan-recipe-of-the-year/best-of-2011/triple-layer-chocolate-mousse-fudge-cake/

12. Delish! ….Whatever I can eat without 100% guilt is a recipe of the year for me- that’s why your blog is so perfect!

13. Congrats! Mine would be cake with a TON of icing. delicious icing. don’t even care about the cake too much.

14. Congratulations! This looks so good 🙂

15. Elle says:

I was so excited to see you on vegan.com! Congratulations, you totally deserved it.

16. How cool! Yum new Lara flavour?! Can’t wait 🙂

17. lovelovelove the photos!! That cake looks amazing! 😀 where’s the link to make the bottom part, though? I can only get to the chocolate bar pie part. I assume that’s your healthy whip cream on top 🙂

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Katie, that looks sooo ridiculously good!!! I just want to shovel it into my mouth right now!

19. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) says:

Katie, you have outdone yourself this time! Very NICE! Looks scrumptious.

My dessert of the year… hmmm… REALLY hard to choose. But I did just have a white chocolate caramel macadamia nut cheesecake the day before yesterday that was pretty up there. I think it could easily be veganized! 🙂

1. Melissa says:

Ummmmm… you can’t just say you made that amazing sounding dessert and not share the recipe! 😉 Link link link?