Healthy Nutella

This smooth and dreamy homemade & healthy Nutella is my newest obsession!

Homemade Nutella recipe from @choccoveredkt lets you control how much sugar goes in. Low-fat, low-sugar, vegan, gf options. Get the recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/

Soon to be your newest obsession.

Once you try this healthy Nutella chocolate spread, you’ll never want to put your spoon down. Never ever.

Unless, of course, you don’t like Nutella… Is that even possible? Is there a person in this world who can resist that velvety chocolate butter? If it’s true, please send me your spoon. I’ll happily eat your portion of this healthy homemade nutella. I’m nice like that.

nutella vegan

On Friday, I posted my blog’s Top 10 – Most Popular Healthy Desserts.

The following recipe is so incredibly delicious it might just make the list for next year! Super-rich and creamy, my homemade Nutella rivals the decadence of that famous spread you find at grocery stores.

homemade nutella recipe

This version is much lower in sugar (or it can even be sugar free!), is suitable for vegans or those with dairy allergies, and it’s high in Vitamin E, B vitamins, and healthy fats!

My homemade healthy Nutella version also has just half the calories of store-bought Nutella, although I didn’t specifically set out to make a low-calorie homemade Nutella recipe. It just turned out that way.

vegan nutella recipe

My first love.

Long before I discovered boys (or at least before I stopped believing they had cooties!), I gave my heart to Nutella. Back then, the spread wasn’t popular like it is now. All the kids in my class thought I was so weird for bringing Nutella sandwiches to school. Day after day, they nibbled their boring pb&js, while I blissfully devoured a chocolate sandwich. (In just a few months, I’d hooked all my friends onto this miracle spread, and soon everyone was bringing Nutella for lunch!)

I gave up eating Nutella when I went vegan, over ten years ago. They do now sell such a thing as vegan Nutella (Justin’s chocolate-hazelnut spread), and it is delicious. However it’s not silky-smooth like the Nutella I so loved as a child.

Tired of feeling left out, I took matters into my own chocolate-covered hands one day, throwing more and more ingredients into my Cuisinart until I achieved exactly what I was looking for:

Homemade Nutella - lets you control how much sugar goes in. Low-fat, low-sugar, vegan, gf options… Full Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Healthy Nutella – Homemade

Print This Recipe 4.82/5
4.82/522

Ingredients

Healthy Nutella

• 2 cups raw hazelnuts (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp xylitol, or sugar, or pure maple syrup
  • pinch stevia, or 1 tbsp additional sugar
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • optional: 2 tsp oil (for extra smoothness, but it's still very smooth if you leave out the oil)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
Total Time: 10m
Yield: 2 cups

Instructions

Homemade Nutella Recipe: Roast hazelnuts for 6-8 minutes at 400 F. Rub them together in a paper towel to get the skins off. (It’s ok if a few stubborn skins won’t come off.) In a Vita-mix or food processor, blend the nuts until they’ve turned to butter, then add all other ingredients and blend a long time until it’s smooth like Nutella! (I think I blended off-and-on for a full two minutes. It’s extra-creamy in a Vita-mix, but a Cuisinart food processor works as well.)

View Healthy Nutella Nutrition Facts

The nutritional info includes the sugar/agave. For a sugar-free healthy Nutella, you can replace all of the sugar with an equal amount of xylitol.  Or, you can sweeten with stevia instead. (I haven’t personally tried this recipe using just stevia, so I can’t vouch for the resulting taste if you go that route.)

Have you ever tried Nutella?

I’m imagining all the possible ways I can use this healthy Nutella recipe! Homemade Nutella ice cream, pancakes, cupcakes… or if you are brave you could try it on top of my Black Bean Brownies!

Link Of The Day:

A rich, gooey, & chocolatey cake from @choccoveredkt you can make in the microwave, under 200 calories for the entire thing! Get the recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/06/one-minute-chocolate-cake/

One Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Nutella is soooo good! Thanks for this!

2. Yum – what a great recipe to create! I had Nutella for the first time when living in Germany for the summer in college – I actually brought home a whole Nutella cookbook. I’ll have to try this recipe out, what a great way to spice up peanut butter & banana sandwiches – add an extra spread of nutella. Yum!

3. I love nutella but I literally start laughing at the commercials that claim how healthy it is. Now I have an actual, pseudo-healthy alternative, I’ll never go back!

4. YUM!!! I wonder if I could use coconut sugar instead of regular sugar. Gonna have to try it out 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

1. Anonymous says:

Beth- good idea with coconut sugar, I’m going to try it that way too.

2. Jess says:

Subbing with coconut sugar is a success 🙂

5. I made a raw version of this a little while ago and it was incredible! Just hazelnuts, raw cacao, agave and a little rapeseed oil. So addictive!

6. You are my new favorite person! I have tried so many times to make vegan nutella, and it always turns out gritty or too sweet, but never right. For a while I would eat nutella by the spoonful, but my body certainly did not thank me for all that sugar. Now I can =D (in moderation, of course)

7. Ashley says:

I started eating Nutella about three years ago and I am addicted! My fave way to have it is on a granola bar or graham cracker for a sweet treat. This recipe looks amazing!

8. Melissa says:

You are genius, Katie! A GENIUS!!! That picture last night was such a tease! 😉

9. Kim says:

OMG!! I LOVE Nutella, so I must make this! I first discovered it in 7th grade on a class trip to Europe, where it was part of our standard English breakfast each day (served with a croissant…swoon). One question though…how long does this keep? Does it need to be refrigerated??

1. I’d fridge it, for best freshness. And I actually just made mine last Friday, so I can’t say how long it lasts… it’s lasted this long, at least ;).

10. Kim says:

Oops…guess that was two questions! haha

11. Lisa says:

yum! this looks so good. Im not a HUGE fan of nutella, especially after I found out it has more sugar than frosting (thats nuts!), but I do like it every now and then 🙂
    thanks for a swap!

12. Mara says:

I’ve tried many times to make home-made Nutella, used online recipes and did my own experimentation, and unfortunately and predictably it is never as good as the real thing. I am not a fan of Justin’s butters, and I have tried a recipe identical to the one you posted and it was a disappointment. =[ I don’t think “healthy” Nutella is possible for me – I love the taste BECAUSE of all the unhealthy that makes it magical!

p.s. Trader Joe’s has an almond butter version (non-vegan) that tastes JUST like Nutella, pretty much because it has all the ingredients as Nutella but almonds instead of hazelnuts. It is just as difficult to put down! =P

1. I sent you an email! Let me know if you didn’t get it :).

2. Mara says:

And just to clarify, I made up a fake nutella recipe that was JUST like yours – using either freshly roasted and ground hazelnuts (a pain!!) or hazelnut butter, which is easier, with almond milk as well. Since I tried very many combinations I stumbled upon one that is using exact proportions as you – maybe great minds think alike!!

I am sorry if my comment was ignorant and made it sound like you copied someone else’s recipe – I have seen that you NEVER EVER do that and I would hate to, even unintentionally, make it sound like so. =[

3. Mara says:

And just to clarify, I did not in any way mean to imply that you copied someone else’s recipe for “nutella.” I experimented with many ingredient variations in my search for the perfect combination and I stumbled upon a recipe with exact amounts as yours – maybe great minds thing alike!!

I am sorry if my comment was ignorant and implied what I know through reading your blog that you NEVER EVER do – take other people’s recipes without giving them credit, and I would hate to, even unintentionally, make it appear that’s what I meant. =[

13. Erin says:

I am so excited to try this, Katie! Thanks! I loooove Nutella and would dip anything in it. My friend and I once tried white cheddar rice cakes in it… it wasn’t actually too bad. It was then that we decided Nutella makes anything great. 🙂 I can’t wait to see all the recipes you come up with!

14. Taylor says:

Does anyone know if this will work in the Magic Bullet Blender?

I just got one for Christmas, so I’m not sure what it’s boundaries are. 🙂

1. I doubt it. It wouldn’t be strong enough to process the raw hazelnuts.

15. Carrie says:

Do you how long will this keep? Thanks for sharing!

1. I actually just made mine last Friday, so I can’t say how long it lasts… it’s lasted this long, at least. 🙂

16. Bente says:

Yummy…..have to make this 🙂

17. That reminds me of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter…Which is indeed better than Nutella and a lot healthier 😉 Your recipe sounds at least as good as Justin’s though,I love how creamy it seems to be! Because that’s the only thing I don’t like about Justin’s – it is so hard!

18. I remember when I first discovered Nutella. I love the Justin’s version but I’m always down for homemade!

19. Danielle says:

I only recently tried Nutella for the first time, and I don’t know why it took me so long. I’ve been tempted before, but I’ve always been iffy about hazelnuts. I saw a snack serving of Nutella with ‘breadsticks’ (the crunchy biscuit/cookie type of breadstick) so gave it a try. And it was glorious. But I’m still afraid of buying a jar of Nutella, for a completely different reason now. 🙂

20. Kaleigh says:

Well, since you asked I’ll go ahead and tell you that I don’t like Nutella
    O—— <— Here's my spoon, go for it! 😀

But good for you for making your own version!