Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Frosting Shots!

Chocolate Frosting Shots.

If you received an email from Pinterest saying I didn’t want recipes pinned, this is NOT true! I’m so sorry for this and have no idea why they would send out such a message!

As is obvious from the fact I have a Chocolate Covered Pinterest Board, I love and appreciate when people pin my recipes. Please accept my apologies and by all means keep pinning whatever you want… I’m honored when people pin my recipes!

CHOCOLATE FROSTING SHOTS - Repinned more than 800,000 times! Ingredients: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup... Full recipe:

Tequila shots??? Who needs ’em?!

Maybe you’ve heard of the popular bakery, Sprinkles? At this bakery, they sell something known as a frosting shot. It’s genius… How many times have you eaten a cupcake, only to say, “Gosh I wish this cupcake had less cake and more chocolate frosting”? Enter the frosting shot: a small glass filled to the brim (and beyond!) with—you guessed it—chocolate frosting.

Yesterday, I made my own chocolate frosting shots:

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Thick Chocolate Frosting shots…

You can try this on chocolate cupcakes or even the famous Black Bean Brownies.

Or skip the cupcake, like I did, and simply serve yourself a big glass of unadulterated chocolate bliss. Cupcakes? With all these chocolate frosting shots around, they’d just get in the way!

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Chocolate Frosting Shots

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice to taste (Use stevia or powdered sugar for thickest results.)
Total Time: 5m

Healthy frosting recipe: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. Try not to shake the can too much before opening. It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe. Or if you want a no-fail option, buy coconut cream instead, at Trader Joes or an Asian market.) Once thick, transfer only the creamy part to a bowl, leaving the watery part out. Whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. For the photos on this page, I didn’t use beaters. But I did pipe the chocolate frosting shots out using an icing tip. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

Nutrition facts for this recipe are available in *The Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook*

Side note: I just updated the official Katie FAQ Page!

I was surprised how many people were asking the same question: Is chocolate vegan? Oh goodness, yes. Chocolate most definitely is vegan. If you learn just one thing from reading my blog, let it be that!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Jessica says:

Just made this, and waiting for it to maybe thicken up a little more in the fridge, but omg, soooooooooooooo yummy! Husband calls it chocolate pudding right now

2. Masyn says:

Hi Katie, so I just discovered your blog last night, and I am already obsessed. I have seen at least twenty recipes I HAVE to try. I don’t want to have to run to the store to buy ingredients every time I want to make something, so I was wondering, in general what would you say are the most commonly used ingredients that will allow me to make a majority of your delicacies?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Check out the faq tab at the top of Katie’s blog and scroll down to “Recipe FAQ.”

3. Hi Katie.

Just wanted to say I love your creative and exuberant approach to delicious eating and living. thanks for sharing your joy!

4. Catrina says:

I had your pins removed from my boards, but all I did was go to your Pinterest site and pin from there and they have stayed. There may be an issue with whomever your website hosting it through…just a thought?? But I LOVE this recipe and am so excited I’m not the only one that would rather skip the cake and just have some yummy frosting!!

5. Thanks Katie for clearing up the Pinterest thing. I couldn’t imagine why you wouldn’t want this Pinned :-S…..

6. Barbara says:

I’ve made this recipe a few times now and absolutely love it! I’ve also substituted freeze-dried strawberries for the cocoa powder (put a 1.5 oz bag of them in the Magic Bullet and pulverized them). Thanks for a yummy treat!!

1. Sharon says:

Wow, the freeze dried strawberries sound awesome! Thanks, Barbara!

7. Andrea Cordova says:

This is so fantastic! Even my coconut hating husband loved it! I totally plan on using this for my daughter’s birthday! Thank you!

8. Bianca says:

I used coconut cream for this recipe. At first, it was runny like chocolate milk, so I placed it in the fridge where it could hide from my disappointed eyes. But after a day, the cream had solidified into the consistency of ice cream (not soft serve), only not as cold. Thanks a lot, Katie! My mom is a fan of coconut, and despises sweet things, so I could custom-make ice cream for her. 😉 It’s funny how you two have such similar tastes in food. :)

9. Sara says:

Hi Katie,
    I made these shots last night for my boyfriend. We are very heath conscious and always looking for ways to still enjoy our favorite foods without all the added “crap.” He was a little hesitant about how they would taste when I told him what was in it but after a few bites said “these are amazing!” I have to tell you that by the end… HE WAS LICKING THE BOWL 😉 I can’t wait to make these for my family too! Thanks for sharing your fabulous recipes and helping to show it can still be yummy even when it is a healthier option! :)

10. Darlene says:

I’m new to Pinterest. where can I find this recipe?

11. carol says:

I want to subscribe to your blog.

1. Just sent you an email… all you have to do is click confirm :)

12. Ginger says:

I just made your healthy chocolate frosting shot recipe and
    It is liquid! Used cream of coconut to make sure it would
    Come out right. What can I do?

13. Heidi says:

this stuff is fantastic – just made my 3rd batch! I added a pinch of instant coffee – yum!

14. KamI says:

This looks amazing…and I’m such a frosting addict…I’m so glad to have found your healthy frosting… :)

15. sejwan says:

How many servings does one can make?

16. Terri says:

You had me at “who the heck needs cake?” <3 chocolate covered anything! Well done Katie!

17. I’m a big fan of yours, Katie :) I live away from home right now so I can’t make any of these things because all the ingredients and equipment are wayy too expensive for me, but I’ve been bookmarking stuff to try as soon as I get home.
    What I wanted to ask is… These desserts with coconut milk, don’t they get a strong coconutty taste to them??

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

The chocolate and sugar will mask any coconut taste.

18. Amy Isabelle says:

Hi Amy!!! I love your name!!!
    You can substitute cocoa powder with carob powder, I’ve only found Katie’s site today, and just made her 1 minute chocolate cake using carob instead of cocoa… Delicious!!!

19. This will definitely be on my try it list. Pinning it now!
    Mrs. Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

20. jamie fisher says:

yummy yummmy yummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yummy yummmy yummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Rizi says:

I used this for my kids’ bday cakes and they love it!

22. I saw frosting shots in a cupcake shop once. Such a great idea, the only part of cupcakes I really like is the frosting!

23. Rose says:

Just for info, contrary to the above statement that “Chocolate most definitely is vegan”, unfortunately this is not always the case. Most chocolate is made with white refined sugar, and this is almost always refined/filtered through animal bone char. Chocolate made with demerara sugar/unrefined sugar is vegan.

24. Sweetie Muckluck says:

This is AMAZING. No sweetener necessary at all! So sweet, so good, so simple! The flavors have great dimension, especially for just being 3 simple ingredients! Putting these on the vegan doughnuts I’m making this morning. Yay!!

25. Vanessa says:

I just got to trying it out, I accidental left the watery part in so I had to open another can and start over. Lol

26. Elizabeth says:

Hi Katie! I’ve just been searching apps in the iTunes Store, and there is an app called “Bokeh Camera (Bokehful Light Effects) that uses this picture of your chocolate frosting shots as a demo of the app’s effects! Not sure if you’re aware if this, but thought you might want to be! Your photography style really stands out and I spotted it immediately (just call me a loyal CCK reader I guess!) Maybe you’ve given your permission for this company/individual to use your images…but I thought I’d let you know just in case 😉 Thanks for entertaining my sweet tooth on a weekly basis!

27. Sharon says:

Hi, Katie.

Am going to order some coconut cream and try this recipe. I cannot wait! My question: what size can of coconut cream do i need? on Amazon, they have Let’s Do Organic coconut cream in 7 ounce boxes or cans and Native Forest in 5.4 ounce cans….and Trader Joes in 14 ounce cans….??? If I don’t use all the can, does it store well and how do you store it? Thank you so much for your recipes, and especially for the spelt flour recipes.

1. I use the TJs ones, so 14oz and use the whole can.

28. Alison says:

These sound amazing!
    I’m just questioning what makes these “healthy”

29. Mary Turner says:

I would really love to make the chocolate mousse, can I use condensed milk instead of the coconut cream? I can’t eat anything with coconut in it. I know this changes the integrity of the recipe.

30. Sheila says:

This looks delicious! Do you know if it can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days and will it hold it’s consistency or does it need to be eaten right away?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can store it in the fridge a couple days.

31. Anna says:

Hi Katie! I just found your site on Pinterest. I’ve never heard of full-fat coconut milk. Is it high in fat? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It is high in healthy fats, not trans fats. Coconut is proven to be good for you.

1. gbear says:

Yes,coconut is good & remember to burn off the fat with a good hike because fat is fat even good fat. They all have calories that need to burn. True story: a group of special forces team members ran marathons on 2000 calories per day drinking olive oil in small packets.

32. Christy says:

Hi Katie, thanks for this great recipe! I’m planning on making it for my daughter’s 1st birthday party. Can you tell me about how many “shots” the above recipe would make? Thanks!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It depends on the fat content of your coconut milk. I would say 3-6.

33. Erin says:

Made a variation of this idea for a dairy-free chocolate mousse dessert. The texture is amazing, and I actually prefer the taste to heavy cream based mousse. Definitely a treasure!

1. Karen says:

Just curious, what did you do differently?

34. Melissa Sooy says:

I’m not a fan of coconut, but LOVE chocolate. Do these have any kind of a coconut taste?

35. Karen says:

I am so happy I found your site. I tried your Black Bean Brownies tonight, with a couple of variations. I used Old Fashioned oats and milled them in my Nutri-bullet, I used honey and a dark chocolate candy bar with cocoa nibs instead of the chocolate chips. I used what I had on hand and I think they were great and my husband said they were very good. The next time I’ll try chocolate nibs alone, I have some on order, the extremely dark chocolate was kinda strong. My husband and I are trying to eat healthier, but my downfall is dessert, I think you are a going to be a life-saver. God bless you!

36. gbear says:

Nice recipe Katie. Many of the coconut creams contain a thickener such as xanthan or guar gum or both. I use agave syrup or xylitol & works fine for sweetening.
    Here’s a ultra simple recipe for you collection: avacado,banana,& cocoa,with a pinch of cinnamon,(or not). Fork or blend together & chill. Yum!

37. Kate says:

I used the full fat coconut milk and have some chunks in the frosting. I used beaters….any suggestions for the smooth creamy texture pictured????

38. Carie S says:

This looks incredible. My daughter and I are huge chocolate mousse fans! can’t wait to try :)

39. Carrie says:

I am allergic to dairy and this is by FAR my favorite chocolate dessert! Thank you! I figured out that the secret is making my refrigerator colder so the coconut milk becomes completely solid first. I am eating right now ans it’s 10 am. :)

40. Jerah says:

Hi! I found this recipe on a Google search and loved the idea! I used a can of coconut cream, but it still turned out super runny. Any advice? I had another can of coconut cream, so I opened it and stuck it in the fridge to see if the liquid part would thicken up. I’ve never used this before, so I know nothing. Any advice would be appreciated as my cupcakes are waiting to be frosted! :) Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You need to find a can with a lot of fat. As Katie says in her post, some cans don’t work and there’s really no way to tell ahead of time.

41. Anne says:

Hello…can you list the calories in your recipes?

42. Stacy says:

Does this taste anything like Chocolate Mousse?

1. Becca D. says:

Yes but thicker. It also has a strong (but delicious) coconut flavor in it too.

43. Becca D. says:

I Love this recipe and tried other sweetners. I came up with xylitol. Xylitol tastes just like sugar and worked out awesome! It came out REALLY thick too.

44. Melissa Shultz says:

Wow! The photos make me drool. When I read your story about wanting the icing without the cake, I was thinking I prefer the cake over the icing. LOL! However this icing looks amazing and I will definitely give it a try. I am thinking this would be good as whipped cream on a latte.

I am just so thankful for all the bloggers who are experimenting and sharing so many healthy yummy recipes. I learned about clean eating way before it was popular and it was very hard to find the ingredients in stores. So happy that has changed. :) Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe.

45. Kasey~in~Oz says:

Kate, just found your site from a pinned recipe. Can you please advise what size can of Coconut milk or cream you would use?

Thank you for sharing these fabulous recipes.

46. angela says:

is this a low carb recipe?

47. David says:

Hi Katie, Do ya think I can use cream of coconut in place of the coconut cream and of course adjust the other sweetener if I need, to taste? Thank YOU :)

48. Kari says:

Just made this to top fresh strawberries and blueberries, everyone LOVES it! We also made the ‘eatmore fudge chocolate bars’… I can’t wait the 30 minutes for them to come out of the freezer! :)

49. Drew says:

I just made this, using Trader Joe’s coconut cream, and it is AMAZING. Thanks for the recipe!!!

50. skip says:

Your blog is awesome! I can’t decide which recipe i want to try first

51. Sherry-Lynn Kemper says:

I love this site! Where have you been all my life?

52. Lindy Crawford says:

How many servings does this make?
    Also do you have nutritional Information?
    This Looks Amazing! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

For nutrition info, just add the calories of the cocoa and the can of coconut milk. Then divide it by however many number of servings you get out of the recipe. It should make about 3-6.

53. sapna yadav says:

I m loving it … n want to try more cup shots…..

54. Molly says:

I left out the cocoa and added 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter and some sugar free chocolate chips. YUMMMMM.

55. Alison says:

I just tried this recipe for the 1st time tonite … It was a hit w/my kids! It’s definitely a rich dessert so you really only need a “shot” glass to satisfy your sweet tooth! Definitely will make it again! Thanks for the Great Recipe!!

56. Alyssa says:

That is a delicious looking recipe Katie. Pic pinned and we are now following all of your delicious boards…thanks, your pins are making me hungry.

57. Hannah says:

OMG!! Found this on Pinterest, and have made it for dessert’s setting in the fridge long does it need to set for, by the way?
    I tasted a bit before refrigerating it and omg – heaven!!! This is definitely gonna be a regular in our house..Thankyou!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Depends on your specific can of coconut milk. Some don’t need to sit at all!

58. Debbie grove says:

I almost drooled when I saw the picture!!!

59. doodlebuglittlebit says:

This was awesome! My husband and I both loved it! Thank you

60. Sandi says:

Sadly, I’m allergic to coconut anything, do you have a suggestion for what else I can use to make this delectable treat?

61. lilli says:

love it! using it for popsicles right now, so good!

62. Amy says:

Eating this for the first time right now. It’s so delicious I’m just eating it by the spoonful. Definitely a great cupcake frosting recipe!

63. Jodie B says:

Made this with a tsp or two of agave today — YUM! What a delicious, RICH and satisfying dessert! You really only need a shot glass full! I could see espresso dust of chocolate shavings on top being nice with this. :-) Thanks Katie!

64. Chris Camposano says:

Is there any way you can put the calorie, sugar, and salt (if included) content on your recipes? Can diabetics eat most of these without worry?

1. All recipes as of 2012 have full nutrition facts listed :)

65. Jill says:

Do you have the nutritional facts for this?

66. Chelsie says:

Made this originally by adding just stevia but it was a little too bitter for me so I added about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar definitely a small amount compared to normal frosting recipes. I thought it was really good very rich so you really can’t eat too much but I cut up strawberries and put it on top SO GOOD and satiated my craving for chocolate!

67. amore says:

I love this website but i wish we could send the recipe to people an email slot would be a great way to share

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always just post the page link in an email. Or share on facebook!

68. Ashley says:

Oh my that looks good!

69. Wendy says:

Hi Katie, This looks divine (and so does the Vanilla one!). I want to make it for my son’s BDay cake frosting. Question, if I make frosting in advance then chill in fridge to make it even thicker can I do that in the container I’ll pipe it out from? Then will it pipe out pretty on the cake when I’m ready to serve it? I’m new at piping icing. Thanks! And many thanks for all your delish healthier recipes!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, you can make it in advance. But do not frost until right before serving.

70. Annie Bringas says:

Well, this recipe is easy to apply. Now my refrigerator is full of healthy frosty shots. This summer will be less hot. But, How long can they remain in fridge?

71. Nicole says:

Hiya. This website is great – only if you leave your can in the fridge open overnight, there’s a very dangerous bacteria that can develop.

72. Ling says:

I can’t wait for the weekend to make some of your delights Katie :-).
    I’m trying to become dairy & gluten free for a month-long trial, and now I know I can still ‘pig out’ on some scrummy sweets. Thank you!

73. Ashley says:

Hi :) I cannot find the answer to my question after reading through hundreds of comments, so here it is:
    If you bought just coconut cream, would you use about a cup and a half?
    Thank you!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Use one entire 13.5oz or 14oz can of coconut cream. Will work great!

74. AliciaH says:

I could only find coconut milk at my store so of course it wouldn’t whip enough for frosting. But it made the best dairy free fudgesicles ever.

1. Jenni says:

I had a really hard time hunting it down at my store, too. I thought surely it would be included in the healthfood section with all the alternative milks- nope! It was on the baking aisle, near the baking chips, shredded coconut, etc. Hope that helps…

1. Jenni says:

(and just found the cream on the ethnic food aisle, today)

75. JenL says:

I’m wondering if this should truly be labeled “healthy”. Isn’t coconut milk high in saturated fats? If you look at the can the serving size is really small and has a great deal of fats per serving. I do not think this is something that should be eaten by the spoonful (but to be honest I do that with frosting when I make it…thankfully it’s not often). My point is when I think ‘healthy’ I think salads, plain nuts, raw veggies…I may be the only one but I think the title is giving the wrong message. Otherwise I think it looks super yummy and is a great alternative for people who can’t/don’t eat dairy!

76. Kait says:

I found you can use light coconut milk/cream if you first set it using gelatin or agar (vegan, from health food stores) before blending it all together, then refrigerating it again to set the whip. Note the result is not as fluffy or creamy as when using full fat coconut cream!
    The full fat version is definitely more decadent, but either version is a great treat when layered in a glass with strawberries!

77. zasmn says:

Tried this and loved it! I ended up having a few shots then taking the rest and putting it in a pie. It worked really well! I baked the pie part, let that cool, added the frosting, and put the pie in the freezer for a day. After a day the pie was easy to cut and super yummy.

78. Joy says:

I. Flipping. Love. You!!! Just made it!!! It’s incredible!! I added a bit of butter extract too!!! WOOOWWW 😀 😀

79. Dawn Laughlin says:

Hi Katie,

I just made this for the first time – it won’t be the last time!! So good, I love that it is light and airy, so I get my choco fix w/o feeling weighed down and guilty.
    Thanks for another GREAT recipe!

80. jenny hernandez says:

To let you know I GAINED like 20 lbs. just for looking at this gorgeous chocolate/coconut idea!!!!!!!! Will try it anyway!!!!! Look YUMMY!!!!!!!

81. does stevia have a gly index?

82. Karolyn says:

I’m don’t care for the taste of coconut. I notice a lot of your recipes call for coconut in some form. Can you taste the coconut in this recipe or any of the others that are just about the chocolate? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You really can’t! Try using refined coconut oil if you don’t want any coconut taste whatsoever.

83. Claudia says:

I am not sure that those who don’t like chocolate deserve to live, Lol. Just kidding. I make something very similar but I add protein powder to it and freeze it and we eat it like ice cream. It gets very hard so it has to sit out for a while before eating so I freeze it in individual containers. It is delicious and we love it. I sometimes add frozen banana chunks and pecans as well.

84. Sophie says:

I froze some of this recipe in a popsicle mold thing, just to see what would happen. It made the most incredible fudgesicles!!

85. Connie says:

can I make this without using coconut milk?

86. Jenni says:

Would you say this will make enough to frost a standard cake, or should I double? Sounds so good! :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Makes enough for a cake!

87. janeen says:

girl if this is anything like the ones at whole foods they are the bomb

88. Anna says:

How do you know what is thick enough?

89. Alexis says:

Sooo I just made this, but I also whisked in about 2-3 tablespoons of peanut butter, then used it to frost your chocolate-peanut-butter-cake-in-a-mug, along with a small handful of melted chocolate chips, and topped it all with a scoop of vanilla ice cream… Hooooly crap is all I have to say!!! <3 much love to you Katie, I'm high on chocolate right now!!

90. Hi Katie!
    I fell across your website yesterday and I AM ADDICTED! Wow wow and wow. I keep looking over your receipes and thinking this can’t be healthy. They are so amazing and I have told so many people about it within the last 24 hours.

Just wanted to let you know! Thank you!
    Nikki x

91. Sharon says:

GOD! I love you

92. Denise Ferguson says:

How did you read my mind??!!!

93. Cathy R says:

chocolate frosting shots- was excited to try them. purchased the exact brand of coconut milk recommended. Did not beat up fluffy as in the picture. Had to add powered sugar to get the sweetness level up after 6 packets of Stevia barely mellowed out the harsh cocoa. Smooth texture, but would not stand up in a shot glass as pictured

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

As it specifically states in the post, some cans just don’t work and there is no way of knowing beforehand.

94. Carlene says:

sorry made a double comment did’t think it went trought the first time.

95. Jackie says:

Has anyone tried this with banana?

96. Matea says:

This looks so delicious! Who needs cupcakes anyway when you have frosting like this?

97. Frances says:

Just thought it would be good to clarify that not all chocolate is vegan! The actual cocoa bean is vegan, it’s just a bean from a tree, therefore cocoa powder is too. Most dark chocolate is vegan. However, milk chocolate of any sort and white chocolate do have milk and/or milk solids added. So just make sure to check what it is that you’re buying!

98. Galileao says:

Important question: the recipe lists the amount of ingredients except for the sweetener. How much powdered sugar is recommended? (Not interested in using stevia)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It is “to taste” so it depends on your tastebuds. Start with 3 tbsp and go from there, perhaps.

99. Jen says:

How many servings does this recipe make??

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Makes enough to frost a cake.

100. Diana says:

I just made it, OMG it is good, i used 6 tea spoons of xylose sugar that i bought at the chinese store, it was just exactly perfect. As far as portions, it ended up enough for 3.
    Thank you for a wonderful recipe.

101. Mandie says:

I absolutely LOVE these healthy frosting shots! I’ve made this chocolate one a few times now, and it’s a great healthy way to get your chocolate fix. Ingenious recipe!

102. Jadeloveschocolate says:

Made this today with coconutcream from a package. It worked out great!
    You can still taste the coconutcream flavour in mine, but it isn’t too heavy, just enough to give it a nice fresh pinch.
    Thanks for the recipe

103. Katie says:

Oh My God!!!!!!! I actually created whipped cream. Could not get enough. Thank you!!!!

104. Marie says:

My first regret of 2015 is that this recipe has been posted for years and I’ve just now come across it. Delicious, delicious, delicious. I just posted a recipe for mini chocolate cupcakes on my blog and included a link to your page for this recipe. Shockingly good…

105. Linda says:

my mouth started to water just reading this! I plan on making it this week!

106. Cathleen says:

Hi Katie,
    I was delightfully surprised to day when I opened out local newspaper and saw one of your recipes in the SPRY LIVING supplement. (Spry Living Feb 2015) It showed your Chocolate Infinity Pie.

107. Carlene says:

I’m using stevia. Can I get a ballpark amount to use? Thanks.

108. Tory says:

This is next on my list to make.

Check out my Vegan Salted Dark Chocolate Cookies!

109. faith says:

can you substitute the cocoa with melted chocolate?

110. Maria says:

Made a mess of this my first time around. It had too much liquid coconut (accidental add while cooking with little people). We modified the recipe to include coconut milk and powdered peanut butter and created a reese flavored ice cream. Thanks for the inspiration to start a fun project with the kids.

111. Carly says:

This was AWESOME! My friend and I used it with animal crackers like Dunkaroos which was amazing. I’m also going to try to make sandwich cookies for my kids. Love, love love.

112. Claudia says:

Hi, I Was just wondering, will the frosting taste like coconut?

1. Melody says:

Nooo not at all…just yummo chocolate, thick and creamy

113. Tiffany says:

So, half of this I ate right off the soon or I dipped pretzels in it. YUM! Today, I wanted to change it up a little bit and added a couple drops of peppermint essential oil. It’s pretty delectable that way too.

114. Glennie says:

Just got your cookbook. Found some great things, some I’ve already tried. Love your ice cream.I just can’t seem to find the chocolate shots to get nutritional information. Love your taste & the health you add to your creations. Have always had a sweet tooth & chocolate is my favorite. Having lost 6lbs a few years back, you make it easier for me to indulge. Thank you so much.

They are on page 191 😉

115. Sheri says:

Hi Katie,
    I just love your recipes. But I cannot use Coconut milk as I have IBS. Can I use my Lactose Free, Fat Free milk instead?

116. Melody says:

I just made this and will sooo use it again when those chocolate cravings want to take over. It’s like a melted truffle. I put it on a strawberry. So yum. Thanks for the idea, I never would have even dreamed it would be like that.

117. Renae says:

Hello-can you use refrigerated coconut milk? Like almond milk only coconut?

1. Sorry, you need the fat in the canned milk.

118. Mom to Three says:

Thank you for your recipe. It might be important to point out to your readers that the coconut milk you refer to in your blog post works well because it contains the stabiliser guar gum-not because it is better than any other. Organic or not, if you are using a coconut milk that is 100% coconut milk (without additives), regardless of the ratio of coconut to water, this recipe won’t work very well. It needs a stabiliser. So, instead of shaking the can at the store, simply read the ingredients. If it contains a stabiliser you won’t need to add one at home. The brand you mention just happens to already have one added to the can. This is also why, as you mention, using powdered sugar is a plus, because it contains corn starch yet another thickener. You can make this with any coconut milk, adding your own thickener and/or stabiliser at home.

119. April H says:

These are delicious! !

120. Tamra says:

I don’t know what I did wrong with this, but I got chocolate soup. I even used coconut cream from Trader Joe’s, so it’s not that I used the watery part of coconut milk. I also failed tonight at the one serving chocolate cake that was just powdery and not like a cake batter at all (again, following recipe exactly). The universe is trying to tell me something.

121. Tara says:

Is there a difference between the pure vanilla extract and the regular vanilla extract? Does it taste different? I’m not sure where to get the pure!

122. Sam says:

Hello, this looks so good but I can’t eat a lot of coconut, is there a creamy dairy product you could use? maybe whipping cream?

1. Natalie says:

Maybe try using whipped cream. I think it may work.

123. Natalie says:

I think that this is an AWESOME idea! I am going to try this at home!

124. Jeff says:

I just made this, and have to say that it is delicious! I wasn’t sure at first, but once I got the right amount of stevia, I was sold. Thanks for the recipe!

125. Sharon says:

hi with this recipe it says a full can of coconut cream/milk, we have different sized cans here, which size do you mean please?

126. yummy says:

Do you have a youtube channel? Thanks.

1. I don’t, but I am working on it. Hopefully soon! :)

1. yummy says:

127. Kristin says:

cocoa is vegan. Chocolate is not always vegan. Many chocolates are made with milk in them.

128. Lyndsay says:

This looks amazing! Does anyone happen to know how many ‘shots’ this recipe makes? Or am I just being blind and completely missed it?

129. Shelby says:

I made this tonight and it was fantastic! The only thing was the amount of cocoa powder- I literally cut it in half and it was still seriously chocolatey. A full 1/4 cup would have been way too much, so I’m wondering if maybe our coconut milk yielded different amounts- the cream top amounted to a little over a half of the can (I used the highest full fat content one I could find). After mixing, I stuck it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes while I was cleaning up the kitchen, and it thickened up incredibly fast and the texture was absolutely wonderful!

130. Momof1 says:

Hey Kate,

My son totally loved the chocolate shot. thanks for the quick awesomely nutritious recipe. Coconut milk has immense health benefits for children and every mom should try this atleast ones. Check the health benefits here (

131. Momof1 says:

Hey Kate,

132. Taya says:

Thay look so good! I am trying them to night

133. Richa says:

I tried making it last weekend and it turned out really awesome. everyone loved it. Is there a way I can share the pics of my frost shots Katie?

134. Brenda says:

Hi Katie,
    I repined your Chocolate Frosting Shots (or Chocolate Mousse) and so many people have repined it from my page. It looks so delicious! And I’m excited because I am gluten-free and dairy free.
    One question – in the directions for the recipe you mention ‘beaters’.
    What are ‘beaters’.
    Thanks, Brenda
    PS – I am assuming this recipe needs to be whipped using an electric mixer with the ingredients very cold, yes?

135. Melissa says:

Hi I was wondering if I could substitute coconut for soy milk or almond since I already have those things handy? Or is it because it is coconut milk that makes it work?I want to make this for dessert tonite topping it with fresh strawberries :)

136. muskaan says:

I want to ask u.the ingredients which you have mentioned like coconut milk etc.from I can
    Get this…will it available as product in the market or I have to to make it at home..plz answer to me

1. Kathy says:

if you have a publix – or any grocery, you can find coconut milk.

137. Kathy says:

I have coconut milk in a carton. how many ounces in a can please.

138. Anne says:

Hi Katie, I really enjoy your posts, and all the wonderful recipes, but do you have an alternative to coconut milk or cream? I am deathly allergic to coconut. Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Google “cck reeses frosting” and no coconut is in that one!

139. Beth says:

This is awesome. I just made some, and it is wonderful. My son has multiple food allergies, so I’m always on the look out for good, allergen-free recipes. This is perfect. Thank you!

140. Marissa says:

i added cayenne pepper to mine, delish!

141. Andrea Patterson says:

Just attempted to make this. As suggested I shook can at the store no contents were moving(coconut milk). Opened can and it was a trick half solid half water. Let thicken in fridge and never got to frosting consistency. Mixed ingredients anyway and got a nice chocolate pudding.

142. daisy says:

Im going to be making one of your chocolate cakes and am wondering if this would hold up as a good frosting for a couple days? Its going to be a birthday cake and I want to pop some candles in there too, or is there another recipe thats more thicker? I would prefer no marg/butter substitute, so maybe the cream cheese one? Im just not sure if it would go with chocolate cake…im planning on putting a bit of red wine in the cake also to make it a little boozy 😉 Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks :-)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

This works great as a frosting! But be sure to frost only right before serving. Or you can google search for her reeses “healthy chocolate frosting”

143. Megan says:

This is delicious frozen, too!

144. megan says:

Hi Amy,
    I am intersted in making your Chocolate Frosting Shots for a party. Qty about 150. Idealy I’d like to make them the day before. is that ok? Do they need to stay refridgerated? I did a test run last night (using Coconut cream) b/c when I tried the coconut milk it was tooo watery. They came out great and I kept infridge over night…this mroning they were a little dense though and they also didn’t look as pretty as they did at room temp…any advice?

1. You can make them the day before and then re-whip the next day with beaters if you want fluffy peaks again! :)