Chocolate Frosting Shots!

Chocolate Frosting Shots.

EDIT:

If you received an email from Pinterest saying I didn’t want recipes pinned, this is NOT true! I’m so sorry for this and have no idea why they would send out such a message!

As is obvious from the fact I have a Chocolate Covered Pinterest Board, I love and appreciate when people pin my recipes. Please accept my apologies and by all means keep pinning whatever you want… I’m honored when people pin my recipes!

Easy 3 ingredient chocolate frosting shots - from @choccoveredkt... recipe has been repinned over 1 MILLION times, and for good reason! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/

pin-it

Tequila shots??? Who needs ’em?!

Maybe you’ve heard of the popular bakery, Sprinkles? At this bakery, they sell something known as a frosting shot. It’s genius… How many times have you eaten a cupcake, only to say, “Gosh I wish this cupcake had less cake and more chocolate frosting”? Enter the frosting shot: a small glass filled to the brim (and beyond!) with—you guessed it—chocolate frosting.

Yesterday, I made my own chocolate frosting shots:

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Thick chocolate frosting shots…

You can try this on chocolate cupcakes or even the famous Black Bean Brownies.

Or skip the cupcake, like I did, and simply serve yourself a big glass of unadulterated chocolate bliss. Cupcakes? With all these chocolate frosting shots around, they’d just get in the way! On a related note, I’ve been surprised how many people have been asking the same question on my blog: Is chocolate vegan? Oh goodness, yes. Chocolate most definitely is vegan. If you learn just one thing from reading my blog, let it be that!

CHOCOLATE FROSTING SHOTS - Repinned more than 800,000 times! Ingredients: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup... Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/

In the months since I first made this recipe, vegans and non-vegans, health-food-eaters and people who are used to “normal” desserts, have all gone completely crazy for this easy-to-make, smooth and rich chocolate frosting – It is highly recommended!!!

pin-it

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Print This Recipe 4.92/5
4.92/513

Ingredients

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice to taste (Use stevia or powdered sugar for thickest results.)
Total Time: 5m

Instructions

Healthy frosting recipe: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. Try not to shake the can too much before opening. It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe. Or if you want a no-fail option, buy coconut cream instead, at Trader Joes or an Asian market.) Once thick, transfer only the creamy part to a bowl, leaving the watery part out. Whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. For the photos on this page, I didn’t use beaters. But I did pipe the chocolate frosting shots out using an icing tip. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

Nutrition facts for this recipe are available in The Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook

Link Of The Day:

unbaked brownies

The Ultimate Unbaked Brownies

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. auntiecarole says:

I love chocolate cupcakes—will try your recipe for the frosting. It may change my mind!
    Would you be able to install a “print” button on your recipes? I have quite a few I’d like to try, but don’t necessarily want the whole post printed. Thanks alot!

1. It’s on my to-do list! Right now, though, my BIG concern is trying to fix my site… people are telling me they keep getting error messages on posts that DO exist. So unfortunately, that’s taking up the bulk of my time right now. But hopefully I can figure that out soon so I can move on to more fun things… like installing a “print” widget :).

2. Cheryl Z. says:

Something I lik to do when I find a recipe I like, is I copy it and paste it onto a Word document, then I can save it and print it whenever I want. And that way, I can give it to my friends when they request it because that ALWAYS happens with Katie’s recipes!!

Good luck! Cheryl 🙂

3. Jess says:

You can take a screen shot of just a selected area of your screen and then print that picture. On a mac, you hold shift+apple and crosshairs appear- you then drag the crosshairs over the area you want (just the recipe) and release the buttons. The image will save to your desktop. Double click the image to open it and hit apple+ P- to print it. If you’re on a PC- just google how to do a screen shot.

2. Aja says:

That looks amazing. Now I need to buy some coconut milk. I’m not a big fan of frosting but I could go for this!

3. Ooh these look good. Taste and texture wise yes, I prefer frosting, but it’s always made me feel so gross with its high sugar and fat content. I am sure this recipe would remedy that problem pretty well!

4. Frosting all the way! Its my weakness.

5. Jen E says:

Oh I wish there was a sub for coconut milk, I can’t stand anything coconut lol

1. Melissa says:

Jen – I really dislike coconut as well. I’ve made the non-chocolate version of this, just to see how it would taste, and I was thrilled that I didn’t taste coconut at all. Give it a try!

1. Jen E says:

Oh thank you Melissa! I will definitely try it thanks for letting me know 🙂

2. Joyce says:

Melissa is right, Jen–there’s no coconut taste in coconut milk. I use it to make truly fabulous mac and cheese (my son was allergic to dairy all his short life, so I had to find a sub for his favorite foods), and my mother was then alright with eating Dad’s (also favorite) version of “m&c,” as she called it. Dad used coconut milk once I had him taste my M&C.

1. Jen E says:

I have found Joyce it depends on the brand. There is one at walmart I buy called dragon something and so far that is the only one I can eat. They are always out of it though. Chocolate seems to hide the coconut taste pretty well with it too. Though I can’t eat it plain lol.

6. Kathy says:

I’d rather have the chocolate frosting!
    It looks so decadent & delicious! I need more friends (= more birthdays = more chances to bake = cake = using this frosting 😉
    How much dry sweetner did you use, by the way?

1. I actually ate it plain… I know I’m weird! But maybe start out with 1-2 T sugar or 1 packet stevia… you can always add more if it’s not enough :).

1. Anonymous says:

I ended up using 5 packets of Stevia to get it sweet tasting. Otherwise it wasn’t sweet at all and kinda bitter.

7. Kathleen says:

FROSTING!!!! It’s the best part! 😀

8. PBnJ Fam says:

hmmm.. I would say frosting. I can’t eat a cupcake WITHOUT frosting… but I can most definitely eat frosting without a cupcake ;0) I guess this is anonymous so I can say this without feeling too embarrassed… I usually have a tub of frosting (actually ever since your GENIUS coconut milk frosting recipe – I have had a tupperware of that) in my fridge at any given moment reserved just for unadulterated frosting consumption… and now… CHOCOLATE!!!! THankyouThankyouThankyou!!

1. LOL glad I’m not the only one. I always have an open can of coconut milk sitting in my fridge, open for easy access :). I rarely ever bother to put it on top of anything.

9. O.M.G.! Are your kiding? Would low fat coconut milk work? I need to do this, as soon as I get home. This is unbelieveable! I am making frosting with this. If you frost a cupcake, should I refridgerate it or can it stay out? I’m so excited to try this!

1. I don’t think low-fat will work.

1. Denise says:

I can tell you…lite does NOT work. : ( Is there anything magical about the can being opened in the fridge? I am clumsy and cleaning a can of that off of a shelf has no appeal whatsoever!

1. Some cans are thick enough when you first open them. But leaving it open in the fridge allows the water to evaporate and makes it thicker.

10. Yay a frosting shot yummy! I am going to make this today ; I have a whole carton of coconut milk that needs to be used up. This has been pinned on my pinterest board.

1. I don’t think a carton will work. It needs to be the full-fat canned stuff :).

11. Maria says:

So fun! Love these!

12. lucy says:

i just died a little. I love frosting and need to make this asap 🙂 btw you recipies are just simply lovely!

13. Ann says:

Katie
    I love the sweet frosting against the cake, but too many frostings are too sweet and piled too high. I am definitely trying this recipe though as it sounds delish–lightly sweetened with stevia (as I am on an acd diet I have really changed my taste for sweets!).
    My kids, however, have always been in the lick-all-the-colored-super-sweetened-hydrogenated-oil off the top of cupcakes and then throw out the cake school (they especially love the doughy pasty store-bought sugar cookies with seasonal frosting that are always greeting us in the grocery store entry way). A cup of frosting would be their idea of heaven.
    Love love love your recipes
    Ann

1. Oh do try it with just a little stevia! It tastes so good just barely sweetened– it’s like rich, bittersweet mousse :).

14. Michaela says:

FROSTING! so I must say I actually like to combine both (with more frosting than cupcake ;)).
    I love you and your recipes so much, you have no idea. And I am glad your blog is working again!

15. DawnW says:

Looks so good,but I don’t like coconut.Can another ingredient be used instead of coconut milk?

1. Lauren says:

Maybe a can of evaporated milk…if you aren’t vegan that is…of course I really don’t know what I’m talking about but it seems like it might match consistency 🙂

16. Sarah says:

I’m dying right now. Frosting is my favorite part of any cake or cupcake. I must try this! Anything to get me away from those delectible frosting tub…

17. Amber K says:

I think I actually have to go with cupcakes. I had gluten-free, dairy-free apple cinnamon cupcakes yesterday and they were amazing even without frosting. I think frosting is only needed if the cupcake stinks. Because the soft, chewy cupcake is where it’s at!

18. OH. MY. GOD. Will you marry me? Okay, I’m not gay, but still. Frosting is literally my favorite food in the whole world. I LOVE IT. Hahaha This is fantastic! And I prefer cake actually, over cupcakes or just frosting, because typically it has layers and thus a more even frosting to cake ratio. Yes, I think about frosting too much.

19. Nicole says:

I love your style! You have some amazing recipes. Check out my site that was recently launched.
    I do healthful cooking as well. Maybe we can team up on something. Again, great job. Excited to make those decadent looking frosting shots.