Healthy Mounds Bars

Are you stuck inside today?

Know what you can do when you’re stuck inside all day?

Homemade Mounds Bars

Make these homemade healthy Mounds bars. And then eat them all up. Quickly… before someone else does!

Copycat Mounds Bars

Sweet coconut filling, surrounded by a rich chocolate shell. With healthy fats and fiber. One bite, and you will never miss the corn syrup, hydrolyzed milk protein, or artificial ingredients present in store-bought Mounds bars. All you will taste is the sweet coconut filling.

And the rich chocolate shell.

Healthy Mounds Bars

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/53

Ingredients

• 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) (80g)
  • 3 1/2 to 4 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup (48g) (or 3 tbsp water and 2-3 nunaturals stevia packs)
  • 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (20g) (See nutrition info link below, for all substitution notes on this recipe.)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder (22g)
  • a few stevia drops, or up to 1 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup liquid virgin coconut oil (Or omit these last three ingredients and simply melt 2/3 cup chocolate chips instead.) (57g)

Instructions

Homemade Mounds Bars: Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor. (You can try to mix by hand if you don’t have a food processor, but the dough won’t stick together as well.) Press the filling into the bottoms of mini muffin cups. (Press HARD!) Freeze at least 25 minutes. Meanwhile, make the chocolate coating by mixing the last three ingredients together to make a thin sauce. Line a tray with wax or parchment paper, then pop out the now-hardened coconut treats and coat in chocolate. Immediately put them in the fridge or freezer, as coconut oil melts when warm. These last at least a week.

*View Homemade Mounds Bars Nutrition Facts*

Vegan Mounds Bars

Question of the Day:
Were you affected by the hurricane at all?

I have a lot of friends and family up in the northeast, and my facebook news feed (not to mention the tv news) is inundated with photos of cars submerged in water, fallen trees, surging waves… everyone on the East Coast is in my thoughts. Please stay safe. Link of the Day:

Healthy Halloween Candy – 50 scarily delicious recipes!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

That looks sooo yummy!! I can’t wait to try it :)

2. I’ve never had a mounds bar before but, by looking at the ingdient list here, I would love them! The only time I like coconut is with chocolate so this is perfect!

3. Ed says:

Sounds good to me…have a few to send my way? lol

1. Ha! Like there’d be any left ;).

4. Anonymous says:

My husband went to high school with Claudene Christian the woman who died at sea sailing the HMS Bounty. She was someone he cared very much for.

1. I’m so sorry. I’m sending good thoughts your way, although I’m sure that doesn’t really help or make you feel better.

2. Samantha says:

Goodness I am sorry. The entire storm and associated loss has been stressful for me and I am no where near the area.

5. Eric Jaffa says:

RE “coat in chocolate”

How do you get as much chocolate where the filling is being held during the coating as on the rest of the filling?

1. You can use a fork to dip, or pour it over top while on a slotted baking tray with a bowl underneath. But if you can tell from the photos, the bottoms of my mounds bars don’t have as much chocolate as the tops.

6. Never heard of Mound bars before today! They almost look like ice cream bars…. But with coconut!

I don’t live on the coast, so I don’t know anyone who has been affected. My mom and brother had school delays though from the winds. They were very excited.

1. Eric Jaffa says:

Haven’t you ever heard this TV ad jingle?

“Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. Almond Joy has nuts. Mounds don’t. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t.”

1. My dad always sings the “Somtimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t” part. around our house. I once asked him where it came from and he couldn’t remember… Haha. So, the answer to your question is yes and no. Now I need to go find that commercial on youtube!

1. Eric Jaffa says:

Here is a version of theA lmond Joy & Mounds jingle from the 1970s:

7. Sooze says:

these look amazing!!

8. Anna Banana says:

These look totally fantastic. I’m tragically out of chocolate chips (and the homemade chocolate bars are just too bitter for my tastes), so I guess I’ll have to wait to make them another week.

My family all lives in New England (that’s where I’m from), but from the sound of it all my relatives are doing okay. Still waiting for a bunch of my friends that are scattered through New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, and Virginia. Hopefully everyone will have stayed safe.

9. Meagan says:

Besides chocolate and peanut butter,chocolate and coconut is my absolute favorite combination!! I have been so very sad,since turning vegan,knowing that I can’t have my beloved Mounds. I knew there would be a way to make them,but hadn’t had the chance to figure it out. I’m so glad you did!!! Thank you!! I will be making these and often.

10. Mounds are one of my all time fave Halloween candies! These look outstanding. I’m going to have to add almonds too for a dark chocolate Almond Joy (why don’t they make those anyway??)

Believe it or not WI has been affected by Sandy. Lake Michigan is experiencing 15 ft. waves on Milwaukee’s shore.

Stay safe all!

1. I saw that on the news. People were surfing!

11. My aunt and cousins live in Maryland, but they’re all fine. They have power and I haven’t heard yet how bad their basement is leaking. (Hopefully it isn’t too much, due to the fact that they don’t even have a sump pump. Last I heard, they were trying to suck water up with their vacuum. ;P) Perhaps some Mounds will cheer them up. 😉

12. Oh wow these do look delicious! And I bet they’re way better than the actual candy!

13. Sabrina says:

Wow this is my all time favorite candy – I was hoping you’d post a recipe for these! Thanks Katie!

14. Michele says:

Katie, did you mean to mix the top ingredients together (up to cacao powder) separate from the bottom three? These look great .. might try them today .. and will sub coconut butter for oil in the coconut mix. Have you ever tried cacao butter for making the chocolate shell? It may hold up better than coconut oil in room temp.

Currently live in central VA and rode out the storm. Did not lose power so just watched tv last night and went to bed. Still had power in the a.m. but after checking things out, it seems some of my neighbors closer to the foothills had outages. Looks like the coast took the brunt. The freak ‘derecho’ in July walloped this area much worse than this hurri-storm.

1. Ooh yikes, thanks for catching that!
      I have some cacao butter… so far I’ve only used it for making white chocolate, though.

15. It’s like the chocolate bar “bounty”! Nice!

16. kris says:

i’ve never actually had a mounds bar, but these look SO delicious. And i’m sure they’re wayy better tasting than mounds 😉

17. Oh yum, these look fantastic Katie! My dad would love this recipe! :)

18. Love this! I can just add an almond for a Almond joy version too! Great recipe Katie! 😉