Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Snowball Cookies That Melt In Your Mouth

Homemade Snowball Cookies!

mexican wedding cookies

I know it’s past Christmas… But if you are anything like me, this doesn’t mean you’ve stopped eating the holiday cookies. I’ve made five more batches this past week! After all, what better way is there to ring in the new year than by stuffing one’s face with cookies?

Champagne is so overrated.

snowball cookies

Chances are, you’ve tried these popular snowball cookies–also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Butterballs, or Polvorones–at least once before in your life. Chances are, you’ve witnessed first-hand their alluring “melt in your mouth” charm.

Like many families, mine makes these cookies every year during the holidays. When I gave up eating dairy ten years ago, I veganized my grandmother’s version; and this year I changed her recipe further by testing it with whole-wheat-pastry flour. Happily, the healthier whole-grain cookies turned out just as alluringly buttery as the originals.

Edit: This post was written and all ready to publish when I discovered I’d actually posted my grandmother’s recipe once before, 4 years ago!

Popular snowball cookies recipe from @choccoveredkt… 4 ingredients, holiday favorite. Full recipe:

Snowball Cookies

(or Mexican Wedding Cookies)

• 2 cups whole-wheat-pastry or all-purpose flour (I haven’t tried a gf version, but people have listed a few gf versions in the comment section, and they also say Bob’s gf flour works for this recipe)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (A commenter says almonds work)
  • 1 cup buttery spread, such as Earth Balance or Spectrum (both of which are non-hydrogenated. I wouldn’t recommend subbing a low-fat spread, as you need the fat for optimum texture and taste)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar (If anyone tries using my sugar-free powdered sugar, report back with results!)
  • optional: more powdered sugar, for rolling

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Combine the buttery spread with the powdered sugar, and beat in a medium bowl or stand mixer. Stir together the flour and nuts in a separate bowl. Then mix all ingredients together to form a dough. Shape into balls, place on a cookie sheet, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Ready an extra bowl of powdered sugar, and roll the warm cookies in this bowl to coat. Cool on a wire rack. The recipe makes about 40-50 cookies, depending on how big you roll them.

View Snowball Cookies Nutrition Facts

snowball cookies

Question of the Day:
What’s your New Year’s resolution this year?

In past years, I haven’t really made New Year’s resolutions because I like making changes when the need arises (as opposed to waiting until January 1st). But 2013 is going to be a busy year, so for once figured it might be a good idea to at least write down my plans and goals for the year, just for the sake of organization… which could be my New Year’s resolution in itself: get more organized!

Link Of The Day:

new years breakfast

New Year’s Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Tags: ,

1. I hope you’ll share whatever New Years resolutions you may come up with! I’m hoping 2013 will be busy for me as well 🙂

2. I love Mexican Wedding Cookies! These look so delicious!

3. Anonymous says:

Ooh these look yummy, but how much vanilla do you need to add, it doesn’t appear to be on the recipe!

1. Thanks for catching that! I actually forgot to add the vanilla when I made them this year, and I didn’t really notice a difference so I left it out of the recipe. If you want to add it, the original recipe called for 1 tsp.

4. Laila says:

oooo these look great!
    can I use coconut oil instead of the margarine?

5. I love Mexican Wedding Cookies! They are my favorite Christmas treat 🙂

I’d be interested to hear how a gluten-free version turns out too! And as for the nuts, pecans and walnuts can be interchanged equally when making them. Both are traditional to the recipe.

6. Brittany Peters says:

Those cookies looks delicious (as usual)! Last year I did not really make a resolution for myself… but this year I think I will. Staying organized will be one of my resolutions!

7. Aimee says:

I made these last week after having a major craving post-Christmas! I made them gluten free successfully too. Used 1 1/2 cups rice flour + 1/2 cup tapioca starch + 1/2 t. xanthan gum. Tasted pretty much like the original!

8. Kitty Bea says:

I don’t use margarine at all–what fat source would you use instead? Has anyone tried butter or coconut oil?
    This recipe looks like a great healthier variation though, and I would love to try it. I wonder if I could make it part some other kind of flour…. like 1 cup. ww, 1/2 c. white, and 1/2 c. almond or coconut flour….

1. Emilie says:

use cashew butter instead 🙂

9. Jen says:

I made these (using my own probably identical recipe) with Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free baking mix. People didn’t know the difference! I think they weren’t as crunchy, but still tasty!

10. Marci says:

Well crud, I just ran out of gluten-free flour, or I’d make these for New Year’s! I’ll be sure to report on them when I finally make ’em though.

11. Jodye @ Chocolate and Chou Fleur says:

These cookies look wonderful and simple! I made a cookie that seems similar with matcha quite a while ago, They were called meltaways and they were so delicious. I’ll have to give your recipe a try, maybe with chocolate on top!?

12. Angie says:

I made these this year using the gluten free baking mix, coconut oil, and half the sugar. I also used pecans instead of walnuts. My husband liked them and had no idea that I changed the recipe. I could taste the difference, but I also have been sugar free and any sugar is way too sweet for me!

13. Pat says:

Want to make these but don’t want to use margarine can you sub butter??

1. Anonymous says:

You can, I’ve made them this way before using 1 cup butter.

14. Stacy says:

We make these every year with pecans! A family favorite 🙂

15. These are my ALL TIME favorite Christmas Cookie I made these this year twice. The first time with hazelnuts: and the second time with pecans. Delicious both times.

16. I will be making some resolutions this year. I think it is a great way to reset and reevaluate goals for the new year! I’m all for them 🙂

17. AR says:

should you greese the cookie pan?

1. You can, but I didn’t for these and had no problem.

2. Amy says:

Use parchment paper. 🙂

18. I love those cookies so much. The powdered sugar kiss right when you bite into them is my favorite part of the experience. I’m not usually much for New Years Resolutions either, more of a day by day resolution continuation, but I’ve been tampering with the idea to do something this year too. Hope you’ve been having a happy holiday time!

19. Anna says:

We always use pecans for this recipe. Then we form the dough into long, squared off logs, refrigerate, and cut slices to bake so the cookies are square and they hold insane amounts of powdered sugar. I ate at least 50 of them when I was home last week, they’re a favorite.

1. Bobbie says:

How big is the square? When sliced are they cube shaped?

20. Elizabeth says:

My mom makes these every year with pecans and butter… I also wonder if there is a way to cut the margarine with something healthier. Then again, I know they are cookies!