Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Banana Ice Cream Recipes

Ten different flavor options of creamy vegan banana ice cream recipes that you can make at home, with just a few ingredients and a blender!

banana ice cream

pin-it

Possibly one of the most frequent emails I receive is from readers requesting more recipes for variations of banana ice cream, or “nice cream” as it’s often called in the blog world.

I’m sure many of you already know the basic concept of blending frozen bananas in a blender or food processor until the results have the exact texture of soft serve ice cream.

If you add a little fat—such as peanut butter or coconut milk—it can even start to taste pretty similar to ice cream. I’ll post a quick photo tutorial below for anyone who hasn’t yet seen the basic concept, and then I’ll move on to the fun part – custom flavors!

More Popular Ice Cream Recipes:

Almond Milk Ice Cream

Keto Ice Cream

Mint Chocolate Chip Nice Cream

Banana Ice Cream – Step One:

Let the bananas ripen before peeling. If they’re green or yellow to start with, leave them out until the bananas at least begin to turn brown. Not-overripe bananas will have something of an earthy taste, as opposed to the more sweet, caramelized flavor they develop as they turn brown.

Once ripe, peel the bananas, cut into pieces, and freeze them.

banana nice cream

pin-it

Step Two:

When the bananas are fully frozen, toss them into a food processor or high-quality blender (such as a Vitamix) and blend until you achieve a consistency that resembles soft serve.

If your blender is having trouble processing, you can add up to 1/4 cup milk of choice or another liquid.

Once the soft-serve texture is reached, you can eat it immediately or scoop it into a container and freeze an additional 30 minutes or so, then scoop out with an ice cream scoop. This will give you a firmer banana ice cream texture.

Try topping it with homemade Coconut Whipped Cream!

frozen bananas

banana soft serve

The best part is dreaming up countless new flavors for this nice cream.

I find inspiration everywhere, from restaurant menus, to grocery store displays, to even looking up the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor list online.

If you ever happen to see a Peanut Butter Fudge Core banana ice cream recipe show up here on the blog, you’ll know exactly what my recent browsing history must look like.

This soft serve ice cream is even healthy enough to eat for breakfast – NO heavy cream or added sugars, and it is fat-free, dairy-free, vegan, raw, paleo, & gluten-free.

chocolate banana ice cream

(Above, Chocolate Banana Ice Cream)

pin-it

10 Banana Ice Cream Flavors

Chocolate Banana Ice Cream: Use 3 bananas. Add 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract, pinch salt, and 3 tbsp cocoa powder.

Mint Chocolate Chip: Use 2 bananas and a pinch of salt. Add 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract (or more if desired), and stir in chocolate chips or cacao nibs after blending. Optional, blend in a pinch of spirulina or a small handful spinach for color and an extra nutrient boost.

Peanut Butter: Make the original recipe below, adding 2-3 tbsp peanut butter or another nut butter or allergy-friendly alternative before blending.

Cookies’n Cream: Make the original recipe below, adding 2 tbsp coconut butter if desired. After blending, add in a crushed cookie sandwich or Healthy Oreos.

Very Berry: Make the original recipe below, adding 1 cup frozen berries of choice and 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract.

Strawberry: Use 2 bananas. Blend in 1/2 cup frozen strawberries. Add 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract and optional shake of cinnamon.

Pina Colada: Make the original recipe below, using 1/4 cup canned coconut milk as your milk of choice. Blend in 1/2 cup frozen pineapple. Stir in shredded coconut if desired.

Vanilla Bean: Use 3 bananas and a pinch of salt. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste.

Pistachio: Make the original recipe below, adding 2-3 tbsp pistachio butter and 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract. Sprinkle crushed pistachios on top if desired.

Above – watch the video of how to make banana ice cream!

Above is a video for one of the most popular flavors, Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream.

banana ice cream recipe

Ten flavors of creamy vegan banana ice cream you can make at home, with just a few ingredients! Full recipes: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2016/08/22/banana-ice-cream-healthy/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

*If you’re looking for a homemade ice cream recipe without banana, be sure to try my Coconut Ice Cream Recipe.

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Banana Ice Cream Recipes

How to make your own healthy vegan banana ice cream at home.
4.88/5 (76)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 serving

Ingredients

• 2-3 overripe frozen bananas
  • optional milk of choice, if needed
  • pinch salt

Instructions

• Start with bananas that are turning brown. Peel and cut into large pieces, then freeze in an airtight bag or container. (You can freeze a whole bunch at once so they’re ready whenever you want to make banana ice cream.) To make the ice cream, throw around 2-3 frozen bananas into a blender, food processor, or Vitamix—adding a pinch of salt and 2-4 tbsp milk of choice for smoother blending if desired—and blend until you achieve a soft-serve texture. You can serve immediately, or transfer to a container and freeze an additional 30 minutes, then scoop out with an ice cream scoop.
    Recipes for individual flavors are listed earlier in the post!
    View Nutrition Facts

Notes

The banana ice cream is also great if you stir in pieces of Chickpea Cookie Dough to make cookie dough nice cream!

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

hello-breakfast-recipes.png

More About The Cookbook

Currently Trending Recipes:

Deep Dish Cookie Pie (Vegan, GF)

Cheesecake Vegan Easter Recipe

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

105 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Megan says

How long will banana ice cream keep in the freezer? Would love to make in advance for my daughter’s bday party!

2. Manu says

Why do you freeze the banana before? Does it make a difference if you first blend the banana and freeze it afterwards?
    There must be a point, why everybody does it this way.

3. Sara says

I tried a couple and they turned out tasting more like banana ice cream or pudding 🙁
    Any suggestions?

• Jason Sanford says

The recipe is for banana ice cream, so I’m not sure why you wouldn’t think it would taste like banana ice cream? I’m confused.

4. Homes & Weddings says

oh my gosh thank you for this! I have been making the “nice cream” for a while but never went beyond the peanut butter variation. This is awesome! Thanks a million!

5. mahalo says

Although the ice cream is perfect as soon as I’m done processing it, I can’t seem to find a great way to store it in the freezer. I’ve tried airtight containers with a ziplock bag over it, but the ice cream still comes out crystalized in the morning. Should I add heavier cream instead of the 1%? What have you found has helped?

• Jason Sanford says

Because of the lack of preservatives, gums, and stabilizers, homemade ice cream will always be best the day you make it, unfortunately.

• Jason Sanford says

It’s just bananas, so the same amount of time that any banana would last once opened, a day or two.

6. Betsy Laurence Waterhank says

Hey there! I was very eager to try this recipe as I am currently trying to cut back on processed sugars. To my complete and utter disappointment this recipe brought nothing but sadnesss. My loving two year old Ethan spit it out and I have no words for how sad that made me. Thank you anyway I had a lot of fun making it! Took about a whole 30 seconds.

• Betsy Laurence Waterhank says

Hello Betsy! I am so sorry to hear this! Remember a positive attitude will always leave you feeling happier and like a better person. Hugs, kisses and toodles,
      Tata
      Lisa

• Jenn says

The recipe is literally just banana, so if he likes banana then he would like it. And if he doesn’t like banana, then why are you giving him a dessert that the only ingredient is banana? Why also, are you replying to yourself as a different person? I am so confused.

7. Jenny says

I absolutely love this!!! I mixed peanut butter powder, cocoa powder and vanilla extract and my husband loves it! I bet you could do a pumpkin spice one by adding pumpkin and pumpkin spices/vanilla extract. I’m curious to try using Greek yogurt instead of almond milk next. Incredible!!!

8. Terri says

I made the ice cream, froze it in a container until it was solid, cut it in slabs and coated it with a chocolate shell made of coconut oil and baking cocoa, with a little maple syrup for sweetness. They turned out great! 🙂

Note: they’re not pretty, but they are good!

9. Annie says

Wow! I can’t believe how smooth it is! Although I should’ve waited a bit longer for the bananas to get more brown. They were just starting to get brown and I feel it would be nicer if the bananas were more brown. Thanks for those awesome recipes! 🙂

10. Gigi says

Thank you for the lovely nicecream recipes! I used to have a coconut honey ice cream on my holiday in Greece when I was a child, is there any vegan honey substitute you could recommend for using in nicecream? Thanks!

• Jason Sanford says

Agave is good! Or bee-free honee (I think that’s what it’s called). Or good old pure maple syrup.

11. Joy StJohn says

A variation on preparing the simple banana nut butter ice cream:
    We assemble all ingredients UNFROZEN (btw we blend the nuts first into our own nut butter.) in the Ninja Blender (We don’t have a food processor but this is an incredibly powerful can-make-slurpees blender) and add the flavors we want.

3 ripe bananas,
    1/4 cup your choice of nuts,
    Options: a TBS of honey, a TBs of Monk fruit syrup, a TBs of no sugar added jelly/jam.*
    Blend or process thoroughly until fully smooth and all grit free!
    Spread thinly in a flat rectangular freezer container with air tight seal.
    Freeze for at least 5 hours (Better if a day or two so flavors can coalesce and be fully set with no crystals)

* we play with variations and can add sucralose** if you want sweeter, or you can use an extra banana and more of the other optional sweet flavors. We have used Almond milk but did not find it helpful as it tended to make it crystalize too much. We have added a cup of frozen fruit and that too tends to increase crystals.

** we use sucralose often, not liking Stevia, and despite Whole Foods’ approval, not finding Xylitol or Erythritol safe (we get sick!) Sucrolose is indeed a manufactured sweetener but the molecule has been found in nature, and is simply a mirror image of natural sucrose. Your brain basically ignores it. Research in actual consumption studies has NOT shown ANY ill side effects. The only time you will find it bad-mouthed is if you read an article about artificial sweeteners lumped together as if all were the same. Anyway this is MY personal experience.

• Grhm says

I wonder why everyone seems to freeze the bananas first. Seems easier on your equipment to blend everything first, then stick it in the freezer.

12. Shawna says

Thank you! We love banana ice cream..and all the yummy flavors! Any tips or a recipe for pumpkin pie banana ice cream? We would love it!! I’m ready for fall!
    Have a great day! Thanks again!

13. Krust says

I can’t believe I just found this recipe out! This is absolutely DELICIOUS and so easy to make! I love making the peanut butter version and the banana chocolate chunk version! Thank you so so much! I will be showing this recipe to my friends, cause this is amazing!

14. Lily says

These all looks so good!! I actually got an ice cream maker for my birthday few years ago, and I ain’t gonna use it until I move out, and this really inspired me! ? can’t wait til I can start making my own ice creams, because I also love it all year around ?

15. Ann Marie says

I know this is an old post and I’m late to the nice cream party but now that I’ve discovered it, there’s no going back! My first try was chocolate walnut; it was yummy but I didn’t process the bananas enough to get the right texture. Tonight, I tried mint chocolate chip and that wasn’t so good. I got the texture right but the mint extract was too strong. That’s ok, there are plenty of other flavors to try! Thanks for the recipes, Katie!

16. Maria says

This ice-cream looks soooo yummy!and delicious! Great post 🙂 x
    It’s never too late for ice cream. 😉 One of my favorite flavors!! ?

17. Codi says

This recipe was a real hit.? I may try to add it to our offerings at the next catering job we do. Where do you get the inspiration for your recipes? I struggle with coming up with unique recipes.?

18. Tiffany says

YES YES YES! I really liked this. I don’t even like bananas, but the idea interested me so much that I “had” to try it! Thank you for your recipes and for taking the guess work out of making yummy desserts! I made the strawberry one because, I figured I couldn’t go wrong with strawberry!

19. Vanessa says

My 1st time making banana “nice” cream. Decided to do cherry. My husband hates banana ANYTHING but he’ll eat it alone! I thought cherry will hide flavor & yes! From tiny taste test (before it hardens), it’s AMAZING! Still waiting on the freezer. hurry!!
    All we are missing is choc chips & we’d have a version of Cherry Garcia! Next time! Hubby said we’ll do this monthly & I said – try DAILY! He didn’t realize it’s also healthy. I do green smoothies so usually have a lot of the ingredients to hand. Yay! super yum. Thank you Katie, this made my week!!! 5*!

20. PB says

Tried this in the ice cream maker with minor alterations to the recipe. I used 2 cups of coconut milk and 300 grams of canned coconut cream. Turned out well. Thanks for sharing your recipes Katie.