Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chocolate Frosting Shots!

Chocolate Frosting Shots.

If you received an email from Pinterest saying I didn’t want recipes pinned, this is NOT true! I’m so sorry for this and have no idea why they would send out such a message!

As is obvious from the fact I have a Chocolate Covered Pinterest Board, I love and appreciate when people pin my recipes. Please accept my apologies and by all means keep pinning whatever you want… I’m honored when people pin my recipes!

Easy 3 ingredient chocolate frosting shots - from @choccoveredkt... recipe has been repinned over 1 MILLION times, and for good reason!

Tequila shots??? Who needs ’em?!

Maybe you’ve heard of the popular bakery, Sprinkles? At this bakery, they sell something known as a frosting shot. It’s genius… How many times have you eaten a cupcake, only to say, “Gosh I wish this cupcake had less cake and more chocolate frosting”? Enter the frosting shot: a small glass filled to the brim (and beyond!) with—you guessed it—chocolate frosting.

Yesterday, I made my own chocolate frosting shots:

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Thick chocolate frosting shots…

You can try this on chocolate cupcakes or even the famous Black Bean Brownies.

Or skip the cupcake, like I did, and simply serve yourself a big glass of unadulterated chocolate bliss. Cupcakes? With all these chocolate frosting shots around, they’d just get in the way! On a related note, I’ve been surprised how many people have been asking the same question on my blog: Is chocolate vegan? Oh goodness, yes. Chocolate most definitely is vegan. If you learn just one thing from reading my blog, let it be that!

CHOCOLATE FROSTING SHOTS - Repinned more than 800,000 times! Ingredients: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup... Full recipe:

In the months since I first made this recipe, vegans and non-vegans, health-food-eaters and people who are used to “normal” desserts, have all gone completely crazy for this easy-to-make, smooth and rich chocolate frosting – It is highly recommended!!!

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Print This Recipe 4.92/5

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice to taste (Use stevia or powdered sugar for thickest results.)
Total Time: 5m

Healthy frosting recipe: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. Try not to shake the can too much before opening. It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe. Or if you want a no-fail option, buy coconut cream instead, at Trader Joes or an Asian market.) Once thick, transfer only the creamy part to a bowl, leaving the watery part out. Whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. For the photos on this page, I didn’t use beaters. But I did pipe the chocolate frosting shots out using an icing tip. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

Nutrition facts for this recipe are available in The Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook

Link Of The Day:

unbaked brownies

The Ultimate Unbaked Brownies

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. ohhh yes, i’m all about the frosting! there’s been far too many times when i eat the frosting off of cupcakes or a piece of cake and leave the rest. love these!

2. Sabrina says:

I love frosting, and I love it even more when it’s chocolate!! 🙂

3. Amy says:

Hi Katie! I love your site and refer to it for everything. I used to be a “I have to have chocolate or I can’t function” person. A few years back I changed to a much healthier diet and found my several times a week migraines disappeared! I also stopped craving chocolate and diet coke! I was so thankful for that. I knew nothing good could come from all that. As a result I get very sick with a migraine when I eat chocolate (or sugary foods). A friend of mine showed me clean eating a year ago and I have not looked back. I love the way I feel and all the yummy food. I am slowly trying more clean chocolate recipes but am always nervous. If you know that a recipe could be without chocolate would you make a note of that? Also, often times you put white sugar down as a sweetener. Can this be substituted with organic sugar? Thanks for this AWESOME website/blog that I tell everyone about. P.S. my daughter wants to suggest white chocolate for recipe flavors (I tried to explain it isn’t really chocolate, but she said you asked for ideas!)

1. Aww hi Amy!!

This one can be made without chocolate!! It’s not as thick, but it’s like whipped cream. Just omit the chocolate and do everything else the same :).

As for the sugar, yes organic sugar actually IS white sugar. Even though it’s organic, it’s still the same stuff (just maybe processed a different way?). So it can definitely be used the same way!

I’ve also just started to experiment with coconut sugar, so you can try that as a sub too!

1. celeste says:

“organic” doesnt mean its processed in a different way. you an substitute anything with its organic counterpart, because they are one in the same. organic means the plant (from which the stuff is derived from) isnt sprayed with pesticides, doesnt have some cray fertilizer & a bunch of other really crazy healthy amazing things!
        i highly suggest using truvia. instead of sugar though, you get like half the calories (no guilt!) & you dont have a horrible come down off your sugar rush! also– KIDS DONT GET HYPER! awesome pros, if you ask me 😉

1. Sharon Grider says:

really organic doesn’t even have to mean any of those things, it has just been a very clever marketing ploy, I have worked in the organic foods industry and a lot of the foods come right from the same place all the other foods come from. It’s all a crap shoot, unless you grow your own food in your own backyard, there is no guarantee you are getting anything different. sorry

1. Mikaela says:

Organic foods are a whole lot better for you it’s is so not a marketing ploy. Who wants to be eating pesticides or the chemical that they spray on plants? It’s a whole lot cleaner and it honestly tastes different then in organic products

2. Anonymous says:

Well actually, organic produce is still treated with pesticides, they’re just certain ones that are listed for organic use. Ask any organic farmer point blank, because they do use pesticides, but just those certain ones. I know, I’ve worked at a local produce farm for over 6 years and we only use “materials got organic use”.

3. Jessica says:

Sorry your wrong it is just a marketing ploy like SG said unless you grow it in your own yard there is no guarantee. Something they just put on the box same with fat free and low fat foods.

4. jen says:

Products may use organic in their brand names and it may mean absolutely nothing, that is why you look for USDA Organic Seal on products.

5. Jess says:

Yes…you want to look for the USDA Certified Organic seal, to ensure that what you’re buying is organic.

2. Rebecca says:

Truvia is not very good for you — they took Stevia (a truly natural sweetener many times sweeter than sugar, no calories and no glycemic spike) and adulterated and processed it. No thank you. I will stick with my pure Stevia 🙂 Very good for you!

1. Jess says:

I personally can’t stand the taste of Stevia…it’s very intense! A good rule of clean eating is that sugar can be substituted with ANY natural sweetener of your choosing. My favorite is honey, others like Agave nectar, Stevia and…I’m not sure Truvia is considered an all-natural, clean sweetener…

2. Rachel says:

You could also try using Xylitol. It is a bit expensive and you don’t need a lot. I have started using that along with Stevia and Agave nectar. I was recently diagnosed as a pre-diabetic. Truvia and other “Natural” sweeteners are high on the glycemic index which will affect your insulin/glucose levels. Just thought I would share.

1. Sheila Pomaranski says:

Another all-natural fruit sweetener that can be substituted in any recipe is BSweet. It is made from the Acai Berry and Kiwi Fruit. It is safe for diabetics and children and will not elevate blood sugar levels. The safest, natural sweetener around. I substitute it for any recipe that calls for sugar (and in lesser quantity). Healthy, delicious and I feel good about serving it to my family. You can check it out at

2. Ashley says:

Please take caution with the Agave. It’s quite processed and can make one insulin resistant even though it doesn’t raise blood sugar. Check out the article on MarksDailyApple

1. Lauren says:

Seriously? I better watch out then…

3. Nina says:

does stevia have a gly index?

4. Kelly says:

I would be careful with the Xylitol also…my sis-in-law is a vet and she sees Xylitol issues with dogs. It is very toxic to dogs and is believed to cause cancer in them as well. Makes me wonder what it does to humans.

1. lol but chocolate is toxic to dogs as well. People and dogs are different ;).

2. Carla says:

Only some dogs…

3. Kim says:

Xylitol doesn’t affect glucose levels in people (but too much of anything can be bad), but when any amount is ingested by dogs, it causes a surge in insulin, resulting in very low blood sugar. At higher doses, xylitol is toxic to the canine liver.

4. Andrea says:

Oh my! I’m more confused now then ever… I have agave, NuStevia, Stevia, coconut sugar, maple syrup, honey, splenda, and I can get anything else… I have chronic medication resistant migraines (I’m 29 and can’t work because they are so bad… not the life I had intended, anyway…) I’m trying to work on eating more naturally (it has not helped, but I keep hoping!!) What sugar would you recommend?

Love the blog Katie! And Love reading everyone’s tips and comments. Thanks so much.

5. MamaNut says:

Andrea – Sorry, but my Fiance is the same way. (Completely unrelated, I know). I didn’t know if you’d found anything that helps? He’s had his for about 10 years now. :/
            We’ve tried a lot of the no sugar/caffeine/etc diets but he’s a lot harder to get to stick to a healthy diet. Btw- sometimes he’ll eat something high in electrolytes and it will lessen his headache. Didn’t know if you’d ever tried it.

6. Andrea says:

Not really, mama. I tried gluten and dairy free for about a year, but it didn’t help. I have been battling this since I was 15 with increasing severity. I see a pain specialist. And lately eating balanced and drinking tons of water has helped. I’m still writing this with a wet wash cloth forehead in a cave, though. 🙁 thanks for the tip on the electrolytes! Don’t give up. has been a Godsend. Best of luck! And keep taking care of you, by having fun making all Katie’s treats! Hugs!

7. Karen says:

Andrea and MamaNut,
            My experience is that when I eat grain-free, dairy-free, corn-free, soy-free, broccoli-free, I can think quickly and retain information. When I modify my diet to eat “gluten-free” instead of grain-free, with everything else being the same, my brain goes off-line for about four days. You might try eating primarily vegetables, a handful of nuts, 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, and lean meat (absolutely no grains, including corn) and see how you/your boyfriend feels after one week on this diet. It has been a long, hard road for me, and occasionally I fall off the wagon and eat store-bought truffles — and I am useless for four days — but now that I have found Katie’s recipes, I think I can stay on the wagon and smile!
            P.S. Quinoa is not a grain, but my body acts as though it is. I believe it is called a gluten “cross-reactive”. You might want to make sure that you are avoiding all cross-reactives. Wishing you relief.

8. Susan says:

Hello – although it’s a little strange that my interest in a healthy chocolate fudge ball recipe (thank you, Katie!) has turned into a migraine treatment suggestion, I felt the need to respond.

My father suffered terribly with migraines for many years and tried several different treatments, with little success – however, he finally found a “cure” in the very simple form of Ubiquinol (CoQ10) and Magnesium supplements, and he truly never had another migraine again.

Please take the time to read and do your own research – Dr. Mercola has written a very comprehensive article, that explains the benefits of Ubiquinol and Magnesium:

I hope this information helps you, as it did my father.

9. Carlene says:

My friend and i have found a diet that works. It’s called don’t laugh ,this is for real. It’s called The Food Lovers Diet. I’t really works. The sugar they suggest is cane juice,which is a fancy name for raw natural sugar. It burns slower through your system so your glycemic levels don’t spike. Well i know the diet works and you eat all the foods you like,made a little different and the foods are good. Lately i have been hearing sugar is sugar no matter what kind ,now i don’t think i’ts all about the raw sugar alone, there is a start out 10 minute or so excersize and eating the foods as the diet calls for ,all together thats what makes this diet work. It’s on the web it is a very good program. and as for sugar to much of anything is just that ,to much. I hope this helps. Happy eating,believe me eating you will and you won’t be hungry believe me!

10. Alicia says:

This is the first time I have ever left a comment on anything, but your dire situation is just the same as mine was for most of my (long) life. Like you, I also changed my eating to healthy, organic, whole foods, was vegan for years and macrobiotic, etc. for years. I am finally headache-free after my neurologist started botox treatments for migraines. I know people do not like the idea of botox injections, but as you know, there is not much of a life when you experience serious pain most, if not all the time. This has been the best thing I ever did and the doctor says that about 95% of his patients are experiencing the same great results that I am. I hope that you see this post or that you have found a treatment for your headaches. I still am careful about anything that I consume, whether topically or internally, as even healthy, organic things can trigger headaches and neck pain for me, but never do I have the level of pain that I had for most of my life. I know it is the result of the Botox because I went a few weeks past the 90 day treatment cycle and I started getting the pain back. I wish you the best!

11. steph says:

do you have plants in your where you sleep? Try getting them out of your house your migranes will go away

12. Greg says:

I too suffered from drug resistant migraines but finally discovered by accident that the analgesic methadone completely stopped my migraine headaches after stabilizing on a dose of 80mg/day administered in divided doses. I hope it works for you.

13. Lori says:

Good thing this recipe isn’t for dogs then 🙂

I did get really confused about the migraine talk though…

3. Anonymous says:

I made this recipe as posted and loved it. I used the whole can of coconut milk, liquid at the bottom included. It wasn’t as thick as it could be most likely because of using the liquid. Then I thought, what if I were to add some instant pudding to this mixture. Instant pudding gets thick. So I added to the regular recipe for the chocolate mousse, half a package of instant sugar free banana cream pudding. OMG… it is SO thick, creamy and delicious. Who wouldn’t love chocolate and banana? Next time I’m going to use sugar free cheesecake flavored pudding mix. What a great dessert when I need something for my sweet tooth!

1. Rebecca says:

The only problem is that the recipe as stated above, in its original form, is healthy, with healthy fats. The pudding mixes are not so healthy, especially the sugar-free kind… which means most of the time they added aspartame or splenda or acesulfame K… so as long as you are aware of that, then it is your choice. It sort of defeats the purpose of making a healthy dessert, though 🙂

2. Jen says:

Unfortunately, you just took a great sweet healthy recipe and made it not so. I think that defeats the whole purpose of the post. 🙂

I was also curious if honey could be switched out for the sugar? Thank you!

3. Anonymous says:

I love how others like to critique when someone chooses to change a recipe. I say go for it, change it however you want, it’s your decision!!! 🙂

4. Laura says:

I agree with Annon. If you change the recipe and are happy to it, wonderful to you! If someone wants to critique your change, do so in a positive way, not in a ‘we know better than you’ way. Many need to return to k-5 and revisit manners and politeness.

4. Maria says:

1. Maria says:

Hi! If you want to leave or the chocolate, you can also flavor with cinnamon or a few drops of any essential oil you might like such as peppermint, almond, etc. Mashed banana is also awesome!

2. Erin says:

Hi Amy. I too suffer from migraines, although my have improved dramatically after changing jobs and cutting out all alcohol completely. I do get one every once in awhile though. I am a sugarholic, and I’m trying to change. I’d love for you to share what you mean by “clean eating?”

1. Jana Maxwell says:

Hi Erin,
        I had a similar questions, and this is a link with some helpful info. regarding clean eating.

1. Lisa Baarns says:

For a great detox, clean eating plan, watch this for an overview and contact me for further info. This has helped many people beat migraines, drop or reduce meds of various types, lose weight if needed, have more energy and feel great! Also, some migraines are hormonally based. I have great info on that as well and am happy to share.

2. Brandi says:

Look into the book, The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. There’s a great recipe book that goes along with it too. As far as I know, she’s the one who coined the term “clean eating”. She is associated with Oxygen Magazine, which also lives by clean eating 🙂

3. Heather says:

Amy, Have you tried Carob yet? It tastes a little bit different but simular to Chocolate. It’s very yummy!!!

1. kelly says:

Where can you get carob anything? My mom use to buy carob chips when i was little. Would love to know so i can make this with carob?

1. Molly Livingston says:

Hi Kelly!
          I’ve found Carob Chips (Sunspire brand) at the Rainbow Blossom near my house, but I bet you can find them at any health food store. I hope this helps!

2. celeste says:

ohhhhhh carob!! <3 do you think theres any possibility of substituting the coconut milk with coconut water & maybe chocolate almond milk with stevia? if so, this would be a completely anti-guilt recipe that i could absolutely live on. ok, maybe with some wine too!

1. Lena says:

Sorry, you need the fat from the top of the coconut milk, so it won’t work with any other “milk” 🙁

2. Ana says:

Wine is not very good for you sad to say and If you are trying to “clean eat” or try anti guilt recipes it won’t be good to have wine.

4. Jenny says:

If not chocolate why not add coconut essence and top it with toasted coconut. Or peanut butter and praline.

5. Marilyn Eisbrouch says:

Amy, try substituting carob powder for the chocolate. It’s an even swap for cocoa powder and you can look online to find the equivalents for baking choc, etc.

6. Nina says:

white chocolate has sugar in it

7. Mary says:

Wow. You DO realize your at a site called CHOCOLATEcoveredkatie right? Also, no one cares about you stupid story about “how you stopped getting headaches from not eating chocolate yay me”. Good day.

1. Andrea says:

To Mary (and similarly angry posters),

It is my sincere hope that you were addressing the solicitous poster, and not the people (myself included, though further down) who are just discussing their experience with health issues and looking for answers. I too, have felt it necessary to snap at someone selling something on here. I know the irritation, and the feeling that I must say something to protect our wonderful Katie, because she’s too nice to do it herself. I later realized that Katie wasn’t just too polite to rudely call out one of her own members, (which is true,) but that isnt giving her enough credit. She’s a smart savvy buisness woman. Katie probably does not feel threatened when a person here or there spams her wall. If she was concerned about it, she could take down the post.

If you were just trying to rain on someone else’s day, someone else who clearly has had plenty of rain (migraines suck.) Then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Katie encourages a place for kind, fun, thoughtful interaction on a wide array of topics. From now on, let’s take our cues from her.

Andrea Wellman

1. Asgardian princess says:

I agree with you…I just learned a TON about migraines whilst looking at a delicious recipe from my favorite chocolate covered girlfriend. I hate conflict and it always maked me sick physically, leading to my illnesses. I believe if people could just show kindness and empathy to each other, a lot of sicknesses would go away and we could ALL enjoy the yummy foods Katie posts for us here. Food should make us happy and not sick. Fighting makes us sick. Well my two cents.

8. Joyce says:

Palm sugar, also known as coconut sugar, is an excellent substitute for white sugar of any kind; it actually has life-enhancing minerals in it, and comes from the coconut palm “as is,” so to speak. I use it in all my baked goods; if I want the sugar to be finer-grained, I put it in my blender (a Magic Bullet grinder works fantastically for this) and whirl it for just a few seconds. The sugar has a wonderful taste compared to white sugar, and does a world of good. It’s still sugar, but it doesn’t spike insulin, which is why I use it.

4. A cupcake WITH frosting, But if I call this mousse, I could totally eat more than one shot of it. 🙂

5. Mmm tough choice. If the cupcake was moist and delicious and there was ample frosting, then I think I do generally prefer a cupcake WITH frosting (why settle for one if you can have both!). Often the cake is too dry or not flavorful or the frosting is sickly sweet and slightly crunchy.

This looks delicious. I love the fact that it’s made without tofu too. Yay!! Gotta try!

6. Tricia says:

Ah! That looks sooo good! I have to make that!

7. OHMYGOODNESS. Who knew coconut milk could make such a delicious treat?

If using sugar, how much would you recommend I start with?

1. Kayleigh says:

I second this idea! Coconut milk as a vegan frosting is absolutely genius! Great tip, thank you Katie!

2. Hmmm, it depends on your level of sweet tooth… if you want a bittersweet mousse or super-sweet one. I’d start with less and taste-test as you go. You can always add more, but it’s harder to take some away :).

1. Anonymous says:

can you use anything other than coconut milk

1. Anonymous says:

No you need the fat from the coconut milk.

2. Anonymous says:

Someone might try cutting this coconut milk with some avocado in a high speed blender. It’s creamy and an emulsifier and used in a lot of Vegan recipes — I’ve been experimenting because it seems healthier than canned coconut milk fat.

If you have success, please let us know.

1. Ruby says:

this is 2 years late, but I’ll say here that I made this with almost 50/50 avocado and coconut cream, sweetened just with dates. it was incredible!!! great as a frosting on black bean brownies! firms right up when chilled. it even freezes well, although there is a really slight hint of the flavour of cooked avocado for some reason! My guess is that the cell walls break down in similar ways when avocado is cooked or frozen. it’s imperceptible when there are other flavours there though and the texture is fine.

8. Renee says:

I am an eat-the-frosting-give-someone-else-the-cake kinda girl, so a frosting shot is genius! Do you think a lite coconut milk would work for this?

1. Probably not… but it could make a yummy drink, maybe…

1. Jessica says:

I just tried this with a lite coconut milk and it did not get anywhere near thick enough. I’m going to use it as a fruit dip though. Also, I thought if maybe I added powdered sugar as my sweetener it would help thicken it up a bit (I originally added 2 tablespoons sugar and then went back and added 2 tablespoons powdered sugar). It helped a little but I didn’t want to add too much for fear of it being WAY too sweet.

9. Virginia says:

Um, yes please! Sounds so good! I think we’ll try it tomorrow!

10. Now here’s something I can really get behind, because isn’t it all about the frosting, any way? Great post and photos!

11. Stephanie says:

You are my hero.

12. I prefer the cupcake, but if the frosting is good….watch out! 🙂

13. J says:

Can you taste the coconut in this? I’m a little coconut~ed out but this looks yummy!

1. I can’t at all… but then again, I am a coconut lover so I might be biased.

14. Paula says:

When do I add the vanilla? Thanks!

1. Oops! Edited it into the post :). Add it with the cocoa.

15. OMG…I am drooling!!! I can’t wait to try this!! It will give me a good excuse to try out the whipped coconut milk…I’ve been wanting to try that for weeks now! I saw your link on Family Fresh Cooking’s facebook.

16. Mai says:

This looks fantastic. But I’d pick cupcake…sometimes I scrape some of the frosting off haha.

17. CUPCAKE! I never make frosting for my cupcakes; frosting aren’t usually my thing but these are much healthier so I’ll probably try it! 😀

18. I usually scrape the fake sugar-y frosting off my cupcakes.. don’t love it, but I LOVE chocolate mousse!

19. You are a genius. Frosting shots?!?!?!?

Oh, and can you use light coconut milk? Thanks!

1. Grace says:

don’t use light coconut milk! I tried it and it turned out completely runny.