Chocolate Guinness Brownies

Something not a lot of people in the blogworld know about me:

Guinness Brownies

I happen to really love beer.

Surprised?

My first beer experience took place in Sapporo, Japan, and it wasn’t exactly a wonderful welcome into the alcoholic world. I was six years old, eating dinner with my family, and the only drinks on the menu were beer and soda. I loathe soda… and I asked for apple juice, which they sadly did not carry. So I ordered the next best thing: a pint of beer.

I still remember my mom’s face… and how she asked my dad with alarm, “They’re not really going to bring her a beer, are they??”

Guinness Brownies

Yes, they really did bring me a beer. They set the glass right down on the table in front of me, and my mother was completely horrified. As were the people at the next table.

But my dad was amused.

He told me, “Go ahead and drink it, Katie.” So, feeling all grown-up and important, I took a sip. Just one sip. Then I made a face and pushed the glass across the table. The waiter laughed and brought me a water. And it would be almost twenty years before I’d change my opinion of beer.

Fudge Brownies

While Guinness is not normally my beer of choice (I’m an IPA girl), it does extraordinary things to these chocolate brownies, adding over-the-top richness and deep chocolate flavor.

I am in love.

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp milk of choice (30g)
  • 1 cup Guinness (240g) (EDIT: I've just been informed that Guinness is technically not vegan. Vegans, feel free to use your favorite vegan stout in this recipe. If you're gluten-free, use gf beer.)
  • 2 tbsp flaxmeal (11g)
  • 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp olive oil or vegetable or coconut oil (110g)
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract (15g)
  • 1 cup spelt, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf flour (120g)
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder (80g)
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or date sugar (115g)
  • only if using Bob’s flour, add 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/3 cup stevia baking blend OR regular sugar (you can reduce to 1/4 cup if you have no sweet tooth and are used to healthy desserts)
  • 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips, optional

Instructions

Guinness Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 330F and grease a 9×13 pan. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients and flaxmeal. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine all remaining ingredients. Pour wet into dry, stir to combine, and pour into prepared pan. Bake 13-17 minutes (13 for fudge-like brownies, 17 for cakey brownies). Brownies will look underdone when they come out but this is okay! Let cool, then refrigerate overnight and the texture will firm up nicely. DO NOT eat until the next day, as the taste and texture will change while they set.

*View Guinness Brownies Nutrition Facts*

Fudge Brownies

Question of the Day: Beer: do you love it or hate it?

I used to think I hated it… But that was back in college when my idea of beer was 6-packs of Bud Light (I call it “beer water”) being downed 8 or 9 at a time by people who really didn’t care about the flavor and were only drinking to get drunk. Craft beer is an entirely different experience: in each beer, it’s not uncommon to detect three or four (or five or six!) distinct flavors all at once, setting your tastebuds on an exciting adventure as they try to pick up on each flavor.

g pb
Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

Tags: , , ,

1. christine says:

I’m exactly the same: hated beer in college, didn’t appreciate it til I discovered craft beers… and I’m an IPA girl, too.

2. M says:

Not sure if you’re aware, but Guinness is not vegan!

1. Chelsea says:

From what I’ve read, Guinness made in Canada is not vegan, while that made in the US is, and there’s realty no way to tell which is which.

1. Sue K says:

At some point the US maker licensed to make Guinness here changed (used to be Coors, I think?) -so now, it’s no longer vegan in the US. I made a vegan Irish Stout stew last year using Killian’s Irish Stout.

2. Oh wow, I didn’t know this and didn’t even think about the fact that it might be unvegan because of how it’s processed. I feel awful and have edited my post. I took out the first photo (of me holding a can of Guinness). Unfortunately I can’t change the url of the post, but hopefully I’ve made it clear enough in the actual post that Guinness is not suitable for vegans. I really am so very sorry :(.

1. No says:

No “I’m sorry” is not acceptable. You shouldn’t have made the mistake in the first place. When your blog gets hundreds of thousands of people visiting it every day your not allowed to make errors like that. You should know that guinness is not vegan.

1. Michelle says:

She’s not allowed to make errors? I’m pretty sure that she is human and is therefore allowed to make errors. I have no doubt that every single one of us vegans have made mistakes and eaten (or drank…) something that was not vegan. (I know I have!) The only thing we can do is learn from our mistakes and not repeat them once we know better.

2. Lauren says:

OMG. You are such a rude person LOL. Get a life.

3. Cdub says:

Stop reading Katie’s blog if you’re going to be so rude to her, it is unnecessary. She’s corrected her mistake.

4. Mariel says:

I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

1. thegrrrr8est says:

I bet she’s not! 😉

5. Jamie says:

How about you look at the positive instead – look at how many people will now be educated about Guinness not being vegan.

Oh and also, rude poster person, you should probably know the difference between your and you’re. You’re not allowed to make errors like that.

1. Annie says:

Good call. It is indecent to harass someone for a relatively minor mistake which didn’t even have a bad outcome; and especially when the accuser him/herself is being a hypocrite.

6. Alissa says:

Everyone is allowed to make errors. That’s called being human. Particularly when someone adopts and unconventional lifestyle like veganism that requires lots of adaptations and adjustments, there will be errors. Yes, Katie gets hundreds of thousands of page views, meaning she gives free recipes and stuff to hundreds of thousands of people. Maybe a thank you and some understanding would be a more appropriate reaction than turning all vegan police…

7. Gigi says:

Wow, I thought this site was a jack*** free zone. If someone cares that some beers use a few obscure animal products in the production of it, I bet they know to NOT DRINK THOSE BEERS since more careful vegans I know (not lazy ones like me who go by the ‘close enough’ principle) check basically everything they put in their bodies. So I think an innocent mistake is totally okay here.

8. Stephanie says:

You’re horrible and should be ashamed to say such things while concealing your name. Everyone makes mistakes!

9. Sarah says:

You are the kind of vegan that makes me nervous to tell people I’m vegan. It’s the ultra crazy, unrealistic loons that give us sane vegans a bad reputation.

1. Sacia says:

That is so rude! Not Sara, the person being mean to Katie!

10. Sacia says:

That is so ride! Who do you think you are!

11. Jamie says:

Oh, get over yourself. Any strict vegan will know what is and what isn’t vegan. And omnivores, like myself, ARE SUPER STOKED ABOUT TRYING OUT THIS RECIPE!! Thanks Katie!!!! (Do not let anyone make you feel bad about this!!!!)

12. thegrrrr8est says:

Oh. So YOU’RE the one perfect human on the planet.

Good to know.

Hubris is such an ugly color.

13. EVA says:

Damn….last time I checked this wasn’t your blog, so you don’ t make the rules. “No”, if YOU are the one paying the URL bills and giving your time to create this website then by all means your point is valid. But I don’t think that’s the case so SUCK IT.

14. dhj says:

Hey maybe nobody but me and “No” knows this but…Katie is definitely the gatekeeper of what all of her readers put into their bodies.

(Katiegurl this recipe looks TOTES AMAZEBALLS [I’m under 30 so I can say that]. Thank you for all you do.)

1. Steph says:

Sweet Jesus I’m pretty sure that person was just after the attention which you all have so generously given.

15. Maggie says:

Get off it, jerk. Katie’s done more for the vegan movement than you ever will, with or without the occasional mistake. Love that you posted anonymously, by the way.

16. Maggie says:

Also…you realize that you’re not even using the correct form of “you’re” while you condemn her for making a mistake, right?

17. Casper says:

I know Katie is a vegan and her recipes are but I don’t think that there is any guarantee anywhere. Plus she often talks about honey when it’s in a recipe. If you are a strict vegan you should check things for your self and not blame others.

Just to let you know there are many people out there who choose to not eat animals products for health benefits and not ethical reasons.

18. Brandi says:

Wow. Are you kidding me? So, I guess you are the only person in life that is perfect and doesn’t make mistakes?! I honestly thought you were joking at first, but clearly you are just a really over-the-top judgmental person.

19. Kate says:

What a jerk. Nobody cares that you made a mistake, katie. Thank you for letting us know, though, thats really kind of you and im sure stict vegans are super grateful (im just here for the dessert lol). Dont let this loser get you down. <3

20. Monica says:

What a total douche! Get a life!

21. Con says:

Everyone makes mistakes. Not everyone knows everything there is to know about every vegan and non vegan product available.

22. Tayler says:

Get Over yourself. Everyone makes mistakes and Katie is one of the best dessert bloggers out there! She is funny, happy, straightforward and has none of your negative energy. You shouldn’t be judgmental at all, especially that you are being anonymous. Katie, don’t let people like this person up there ruin your day. Everyone LOVES your recipies!!!

23. Kathleen says:

Wow, what’s it like to be perfect?

24. Lol says:

Haha, definitely a troll.

1. Steph says:

Apparently everyone likes to feed trolls here.

25. Jessica says:

Don’t be an ass. Katie clearly states in the post it’s bot vegan and that you can use 1C milk of your choice. Just because it’s not vegan you’re making a huge deal of nothing.
          Katie never said in her blog that she was vegan or made specifically vegan products. How about saying thank you to her. She took time out of her day to come up with a vegan alternative for this.

Please also watch your make up. It’s most likely not cruelty free. We’re allowed to be human.

Katie it’s ok! Thank you for the edits. And the fact that you are trying to make healthy and vegan alternatives.

26. Suzanna says:

Your comment is unacceptable. She made a little tiny mistake. She doesn’t deserve your cruel words. Why even go on her site just to be mean to Katie. Just because she doesn’t look up everything about every one of her ingredients doesn’t mean you have to treat Katie this way. Like you have always been so perfect. We all think you should apologize for talking this way to her.
          I am sorry Katie that you had to receive this person’s unkind and simply immature comment. We all support you!

27. Suzanna says:

I am sorry Katie that you had to receive this person’s unkind and simply immature comment. We all support you and hope you don’t take this person’s words.

1. #1 fan says:

What no said is very ………………. @$! ……………….. i just cant explain it . Its okay katie 🙂

28. Wow. says:

…and you’re not allowed to misuse the word “your” and say “your not allowed to make errors like that.” You should know that the correct word here is “you’re.”

29. Britt G says:

So many people have already said it, but I too need to take a moment blast “No” for criticizing Katie. If I were you, I would pray for a change of heart. Until then, you should probably stop interacting with other humans.

2. Maggie says:

There’s an app called Barnivore that let’s you check which alcohols are vegan. Stouts from smaller brands usually are, so you’ll find something else you like.

1. Sue K says:

I was going to suggest that. That’s where I found out that Guinness in the US is no longer vegan either (imported never was) and that Killian’s is. IMO Killian’s tastes better anyway 😉

1. Suzanna says:

(I am talking to the person of whom said Katie’s behavior was unacceptable, at the very top.)

3. I’ve tried to become a beer fan, tasting beers from all over the world and asking friends for suggestions. While there are few beers that I don’t mind (Cactus Delirium!), in general I still just don’t like it though. At least, not to drink…I love beer reduction sauces and Guinness stew, for example, and I’m really curious to give these brownies a try!

4. CHEERS from a fellow IPA lover! Laughing at your first beer experience. I’m glad you stuck with it–these brownies look incredible!

5. Oh my goodness my roomy would love these! She’s a huge Guinness and brownie fan! Put them together, and who knows. I’m forwarding her this recipe!

6. This recipe looks ah-mazing! I’m a beer girl too haha and will never change, its the best. Can’t wait to try this one out!

7. Michelle says:

These look delicious! Super fudgy 🙂 I was wondering though if you meant a 9×13 inch pan? I’ve never seen 9×14. I wouldn’t think it would make a huge difference but I was just curious.

8. I’m on a sessionable beer kick right now. There’s something nice about going out to lunch and having a 2.8%ABV Berliner Weisse and being able to function after 🙂

9. D says:

Could I use red wine instead of beer? Or maybe strong coffee?

1. Coffee sounds really good. As does wine, actually… If you try it before I do, let me know how it goes!

2. Ashlie says:

I’ve used red wine in place of beer in chocolate cake recipes and it is AH-mazing! Haven’t done so with brownies but I’m sure it would work–definitely do it if that’s what you like!

3. D says:

Update: Red wine made the brownies WAY too boozy. Not recommended.

Also, I would like to submit a big wet raspberry (the gesture, not the fruit) for that bitter, illiterate creature who scolded you about the Guinness. Get a life!

1. Samantha says:

This made me laugh, glad you updated. 🙂

10. Jody says:

Yeah! I love, love craft beer! I’m always happy to find a fellow beer lover. I love the hoppy beers but also have been drinking more porters lately. Michigan is completely booming with craft breweries and a new tap room seems to open every month. It’s a fun hobby and the great thing about craft beer, is you sip and enjoy them. Then after one, that’s it, bedtime. One and done!

11. Heather says:

Use a different stout if you care about your brownies being vegan! Guinness contains fish bladders.

1. Miz says:

In case you missed it, Katie already corrected this mistake from another commenter.

1. Heather says:

It wasn’t corrected when I left the comment, obviously. So sick of rude people online.

1. Jenny says:

How was that rude? Miz was just pointing out that it was corrected. She didn’t say it in a disrespectful manner at all!

2. Stephanie says:

Oh, I saw all the comments but could not fathom what would be included… fish bladders hmmmm… yum? makes me ambivalent about having drank the rest of the can….

1. Tumbellina82 says:

It doesn’t actually contain fish bladders as an ingredient. It uses isinglass which is produced from fishes swim bladders (that contain air not urine) as a fining agent to clarify the beer. It helps the yeast to flocculate and settle to the bottom and then the beer is tapped of the top or filtered. So the isinglass is retained with the yeast in the bottom of the vat. Hence isinglass fined wined can be drunk by kosher observent Jews even if the fish wasn’t kosher. But there can be minute residues of isinglass in the beer and vegans might be concerned at drinking something that has been produce making use of animal products even if they are not ingesting the animal products.

12. Kelly J. R. says:

I am a huge fan of microbrews but I can’t stand light beer. If my choices were a bud light or no beer at all, I would take no beer at all. My favorite beer is Bourbon Barrel Stout by Central Waters Brewery in Amherst, WI – just a 20 min. drive from our farm. I love tasting new microbrews.

1. Christina says:

I love that beer!!!! I’m in Milwaukee, WI 🙂

1. EVA says:

Hey woah, I’m in Kenosha! It’s funny how I’m in the “beer and cheese” state, yet I can’t eat dairy or beer! HA!

2. Melissa says:

Go Wisconsin! May have to try this with Luna Coffee Stout 😉

13. Christina says:

Hmm, I’ve made Irish Car Bomb cupcakes before, but never tried beer brownies! I’ll certainly give these a shot. Funny that you love IPA…I’m new to that style of beer (which my boyfriend has happily been introducing me to). My first beer experience was at my 3rd birthday party (yes, three years old) – there’s a photo of me holding a can of beer after having tried a sip. Awful! And hilarious. But, my German grandparents introduced me to good beer in my teens, and I sure do enjoy it now!! Yay for beer! (P.S. you should try the app called Untappd – it’s a great way to log & rate the beers you drink, and a good way to keep track of the ones which you dislike).

1. Raquel Evans says:

I’d never heard of Irish Car Bomb cupcakes before, but after a quick google search I am enlightened. I must try these!

14. A friend sent me an email recently with your “Oatmeal to go” recipe.. I made it, loved it and have been browsing your blog since. I really enjoy reading your recipes…I shared my pictures of MY Oatmeal to Go bars and your recipe on FB and a bunch of people liked it and tried it, too. This recipe sounds really fun.. Unfortunately I’m really watching my calories right now so have to be careful how much baking I do., but I still love reading your fun posts, love your pictures and will keep coming back. Keep it up! ~Hillary @ PhotosByHillary

15. Swiftie22 says:

These look really good! I’m planning on making them with milk (I’m only 13). But I was wondering… is there anything I can use to sub the flaxmeal? An egg maybe? (I’m not vegan).

Thanks in advance. 🙂

1. Sorry, I’ve not tried it so I really can’t say.

2. Eve says:

Swiftie, flaxmeal is really easy to find in every grocery store these days. It’s good for you and won’t effect the flavor of the recipe at all. Good for you for baking healthy at 13! Do your parents mind that you are baking “beer brownies”? Keep up the great blogging Katie! WE LOVE YOU!!!! Eve

1. Suzette says:

Swiftie did say in her post that she would be using milk in place of beer due to her age. 🙂

3. Darla says:

Would also love a substitute if anyone has ideas. Cannot eat flax. Thanks!

1. karen says:

I would think anything you can use for an egg allergy, if you don’t want to use egg. We don’t use flax because I don’t have a desire to buy it for the little times I need an egg substitute.

Since she mentioned it would crumble, I assume it is used as a binder, so you could use 1/2 mashed banana or 1/4 cup applesauce. There is also a gelatin replacement but of course not vegan. Hope that helps.

I am saving this for latter, though, it sounds really really good!

1. karen says:

I wanted to add more, since the recipe calls for 2 tbsp, usually 1 egg = 1 tbsp of flax, so you might want to double the applesauce or banana, or even use 2 eggs.

2. Kara says:

I think I read somewhere that you can use ground up chia seeds instead. Good luck! Swiftie, I glad to see another teen baker :). I just buy flax seeds and then grind them in a coffee grinder.

4. Amber says:

One egg would almost certainly work in place of the flaxseed.

5. Swiftie22 says:

Thanks to everyone who replied! I think I’m going to try karen’s idea of using mashed banana. And Eve, yes I know flax is good for you, I just didn’t want to use it because I can’t seem to find it where I live, and even if I did, I don’t think I’d use it too often, but thanks anyways. 🙂

16. These sound great!
    I remember my first encounter with beer too, needless to say… long story short – I was not impressed, hah! But then, when I got older, and I tried Newcastle Brown, it reminded me of that dark ale my dad had let me try some of years and years ago, and now it’s my favourite 😛 I can imagine adding a little bit of ale to the batter will give it quite a round flavour, might even work with Newkie Brown if I’m lucky! x J

17. Annette says:

That is too funny!

I’m not much of a poster or even some type of social network. The reason why I posted because you asked quote “Beer, do you love it or hate it?” While I happen to hate it, I just don’t care for the taste at all.

For me it happened to other way around tried it in HS for the first time and after that when we would ditch we would buy 40 ouncers and party up at someone’s house now that was only for 1-2 years of HS. After that and Now I can’t stand it! that was 35 years ago, I think only within the last year or so I’ve tried this new mix of wine and beer combo that was ok but I would never have a beer again… LOL

Thanks for the post (I really enjoyed your story) and the recipe..

Annette

18. Love the idea of a Beer brownie – two of my favourite things together! Living in Belgium, I love all the “craft” beers they have here!! My favourite would be a good wit beer like Hoegaarden – I’m definitively not a Guinness girl!

19. Noora says:

Beer is good sometimes. Espeacially after sauna. I like wine and cider more though 🙂

20. Dawn says:

I was a beer water girl in college and 30+ years later, I’m still a beer water girl.

Wine? That’s a whole different story!