Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Frosting Shots!

Creamy, dreamy chocolate frosting shots…

Easy 3 ingredient chocolate frosting shots - from @choccoveredkt... recipe has been repinned over 1 MILLION times, and for good reason! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/

pin-it

Tequila shots??? Who needs ’em?!

Maybe you’ve heard of the popular bakery, Sprinkles?

At this bakery, they sell something known as a frosting shot. It’s genius!

How many times have you eaten a cupcake, only to say, “Gosh I wish this cupcake had less cake and more chocolate frosting”?

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Enter the frosting shot: a small glass filled to the brim (and beyond!) with—you guessed it—chocolate frosting.

Yesterday, I made my own chocolate frosting shots at home, with just a few ingredients:

CHOCOLATE FROSTING SHOTS - Repinned more than 800,000 times! Ingredients: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup... Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/

pin-it

Thick chocolate frosting shots…

You can try this on my Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes or even the famous Black Bean Brownies.

Or skip the cupcake like I did, and simply serve yourself a big glass of unadulterated chocolate bliss.

Cupcakes? With all these chocolate frosting shots around, they’d just get in the way!

Chocolate Covered Katie Frosting

(Try the recipe as frosting for my Vegan Chocolate Cake)

On a related note, I’ve been surprised how many people have been asking me the same question: Is chocolate vegan?

Oh goodness, yes. Chocolate most definitely is vegan.

If you learn just one thing from reading my blog, let it be that!

pin-it

The frosting recipe can be keto, paleo, soy free, dairy free, and sugar free!

In the months since I first made this recipe, vegans and non-vegans, health-food-eaters and people who are used to “normal” desserts, have all gone completely crazy for this easy-to-make, smooth and rich chocolate frosting.

It is highly recommended!

Secretly Healthy Chocolate Frosting Shots, 3 Ingredients

If you try the recipe, please feel free to tag me @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your photos!

pin-it

Chocolate Frosting Shots

Chocolate Frosting Shots!

Total Time: 5m
Print This Recipe 4.87/5
Chocolate Frosting Shots!
4.87/523

Ingredients

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice to taste (Use stevia or powdered sugar for thickest results)

Instructions

Healthy frosting recipe: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. Try not to shake the can too much before opening. It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.) Once thick, transfer only the creamy part to a bowl, leaving the watery part out. Whip in your cocoa, vanilla, and sweetener with a fork, or even beaters if you want to be fancy. For the photos on this page, I didn’t use beaters. But I did pipe the chocolate frosting shots out using an icing tip. Stored uncovered in the fridge, the mixture gets even thicker.

View Nutrition Facts

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

1044 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Ann says

Katie
    I love the sweet frosting against the cake, but too many frostings are too sweet and piled too high. I am definitely trying this recipe though as it sounds delish–lightly sweetened with stevia (as I am on an acd diet I have really changed my taste for sweets!).
    My kids, however, have always been in the lick-all-the-colored-super-sweetened-hydrogenated-oil off the top of cupcakes and then throw out the cake school (they especially love the doughy pasty store-bought sugar cookies with seasonal frosting that are always greeting us in the grocery store entry way). A cup of frosting would be their idea of heaven.
    Love love love your recipes
    Ann

2. Michaela says

FROSTING! so I must say I actually like to combine both (with more frosting than cupcake ;)).
    I love you and your recipes so much, you have no idea. And I am glad your blog is working again!

3. Sarah says

I’m dying right now. Frosting is my favorite part of any cake or cupcake. I must try this! Anything to get me away from those delectible frosting tub…

4. Katie @ Peace Love & Oats says

OH. MY. GOD. Will you marry me? Okay, I’m not gay, but still. Frosting is literally my favorite food in the whole world. I LOVE IT. Hahaha This is fantastic! And I prefer cake actually, over cupcakes or just frosting, because typically it has layers and thus a more even frosting to cake ratio. Yes, I think about frosting too much.

5. Nicole says

I love your style! You have some amazing recipes. Check out my site that was recently launched.
    I do healthful cooking as well. Maybe we can team up on something. Again, great job. Excited to make those decadent looking frosting shots.

6. Kirsten says

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? These….look amazing. I just started using coconut whipped cream, I wrote a post about cleaning up whipped topping (yuck) and using natural alternatives. These look simply amazing and thank you so much for all you do!!! I’m not big on the dessert front so I have been telling everyone about your recipes! Thank you!

7. Xina says

Looking forward to trying this.

Any chance you might make it easier to print your recipes out? That would be helpful.

Also, I would love a recipe for healthy ice cream. Hint hint. 🙂

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

It’s on my to-do list! Right now, my BIG concern is trying to fix my site… people are telling me they keep getting error messages on posts that DO exist. So unfortunately, that’s taking up the bulk of my time right now. But hopefully I can figure that out soon so I can move on to more fun things… like installing a “print” widget .

8. Gabby says

Haha I get that all the time! People will hear me talk about some chocolate thing I made and go “wait! you eat CHOCOLATE?? is that vegan??”

And then there’s my aunt who asks EVERY SINGLE TIME I see her, “But…you don’t eat pasta do you? Or bread?” (Umm yes I do…last time I checked most pasta and bread doesn’t have milk and eggs in it…)

• Charlene says

Just wanted to let you know that many brands of dark chocolate are NOT vegan. (Obviously, milk chocolate is not vegan.) But also, cheaper dark chocolate often contains milk products. Check the ingredients list of the chocolate you buy to be sure it’s vegan, if that is a concern. For example, Dove dark chocolate contains milk fat, but Endangered Species dark chocolate is vegan.

9. Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking says

OHMYGOODNESS. Who knew coconut milk could make such a delicious treat?

If using sugar, how much would you recommend I start with?

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Hmmm, it depends on your level of sweet tooth… if you want a bittersweet mousse or super-sweet one. I’d start with less and taste-test as you go. You can always add more, but it’s harder to take some away :).

• Anonymous says

Someone might try cutting this coconut milk with some avocado in a high speed blender. It’s creamy and an emulsifier and used in a lot of Vegan recipes — I’ve been experimenting because it seems healthier than canned coconut milk fat.

If you have success, please let us know.

• Ruby says

this is 2 years late, but I’ll say here that I made this with almost 50/50 avocado and coconut cream, sweetened just with dates. it was incredible!!! great as a frosting on black bean brownies! firms right up when chilled. it even freezes well, although there is a really slight hint of the flavour of cooked avocado for some reason! My guess is that the cell walls break down in similar ways when avocado is cooked or frozen. it’s imperceptible when there are other flavours there though and the texture is fine.

10. Melissa says

That looks like heaven! I’d much rather have a shot of frosting than anything else!!! I’m a frosting girl all the way. Really, the cake is just an excuse to get some frosting into me! 😉

• Anonymous says

How did you get it to thicken? What brand coconut milk did you use? I’ve tried this twice using different kinds of milk but both have ended up runny.

• Liz says

Check the ingredients on your coconut milk – some of the imported ones have additional ingredients (other than coconut, water and guar gum – which is in all of them) to keep the fat from solidifying. Also, if it’s hot in your kitchen (or store) the fat will melt into the liquid and you won’t get that solid mass on top that you need for this to work. Thai Kitchen just has 3 ingredients and is great for making thick whipped goodness. So is this brand that comes in a green can and has a name like nature or forest or rain forest or something. oh, and make sure you’re not using coconut cream – that’s also liquidy and runny – and has added sugar!

Hope this helps!

• Stephanie says

I buy a Thai brand (not sure of the name offhand) that is just coconut and water. I’ve seen more than one brand without guar gum.

11. bitt says

Mmm I personally love the balance of cake to frosting, but yours seems so mousse-like that I think I’d like it. Some frostings are so sickeningly sweet they give me a headache.

I would argue that most chocolate that is dark is vegan, provided there was no slave labor involved. If so, a human suffered which is certainly not vegan (humans are animals too!). So,I would argue fair-trade chocolate is vegan. I know some vegans who won’t eat any chocolate for fear it may have been made by slave labor.

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

To be honest, I didn’t know much about slave-labor chocolate until just a few months ago. It’s so hard to keep up with everything… there’s so much exploitation in this world. I just learned, for example, that Hersheys uses slave labor for their chocolate. Someone just told me this yesterday, so I haven’t even had a chance to look into it.

I completely agree with you. Humans are animals too, and we need to try to extend our compassion towards ALL creatures’ well-being. (I’m really glad you brought the Bob’s thing to my attention a few months ago, too.)

12. Sindy says

Next time I go to the store I’ll totally buy some coconut milk. The only thing is where I live coconut milk is sold in little glass bottles so I’m not sure if it will work for me, maybe if I put it in a glass and let in the fridge it may get thick.
    Also, could someone tell me how much coconut milk usally cames in a can? This way I can buy the correct amount for the recipe.
    Thanks in advance.

13. katia says

I like the cake part, i usually go around the frosting because it’s much too sugary and buttery D: (ew) but this might just might change my mind, since I won’t feel like I’m eating straight sugar and butter! This is a must-try!

14. Taylor says

I was a little skeptical on whether or not the coconut milk would turn into a whipped mouse, but sure enough when I opened my can half of it was already thick! SO EXCITED! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE FINISHED PRODUCT! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :))))

I also dipped my strawberries and blackberries and that was the greatest combination in the world. Yum!

15. Albizia says

The answer depends on the quality of both the cupcake (or cake in general) and the frosting. But in the case of coconut milk based frosting, I would gladly eat the frosting without any hint of cake.

16. Katie says

This sounds wonderful! Just curious how much this recipe makes – wasn’t sure if the whipping adds volume. Do you think leftovers (if there are any of course) would store ok in the fridge for a few days? Thanks:)