Dark Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip

First came cookie dough dip.

And then, of course, there was also Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Dip.

Someday soon, you might see peanut butter and jelly dip, red velvet dip, and oatmeal-raisin dip. But today, things are taking a turn for the worse better chocolate.

brownie batter dip

Say hello to brownie batter dip.

A new addition to my Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes.

It’s also egg-free, soy-free, and there’s a sugar-free option as well. (All of my recipes are dairy-free.) There’s one thing this recipe s not free of, however, and that is addictiveness. Seriously. You’ve been warned.

browniebatterwork2

browniebatterwork2

Brownie Batter Dip

Inspired by the famous Cookie Dough Dip.

• 1 can garbanzo beans, drained (250g)
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • up to 2 tablespoons milk of choice
  • 1/4c nut butter of choice (or oil, if you don’t want any nut butter flavor)
  • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • a little over 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2/3c dry sweetener (See link below for sugar-free option)
  • optional: feel free to add flaxmeal or quick oats

Combine all ingredients in a food processor (not blender, for best results) and process until very, very smooth. (If you want this to taste like brownie batter from a boxed mix, you can use dutch-processed cocoa or Hersheys special dark. Also: the recipe calls for 2/3 cup sweetener, but if you’re used to not-so-sweet desserts, you can probably get away with less.)

See the following link for: Sugar-Free Version.

browniebatterwork

Do you ever eat the raw batter when you bake?

I do! Especially the batter of my favorite Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies.

In fact, I sometimes don’t even bother to cook the brownies at all. Instead, I just eat the batter with a spoon. Even when I do cook them, they somehow never yield as many brownies as the recipe says. I wonder why that is…

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Marissa says:

I’ve made this several times before and LOVE IT! It was inspired by your cookie dough dip, of course. Except I don’t use any nut butter, omit the milk, and double the cocoa powder for an extra thick and super chocolately treat. Yummmm… best eaten straight up with a spoon in my opinion!

1. Kailey says:

Double the cocoa powder. Now you’re talking!

2. Kayte says:

I have been looking at your website off and on for probably over a year at this point for healthy ideas, but this is the first recipe I have actually tried to make. It turned out great! At first I didn’t think my food processor (I have a ninja) was going to blend it, but then I walked away for a few minutes and it was done! My boyfriend tolerated it as well although he referred to it as “chocolate hummus” … lol. Thank you for the recipe!!!

2. Ohmygosh! I need to break out my new food processor…like, NOW! I ALWAYS eat raw batter when I bake… it’s part of every recipe as far as I’m concerned!

3. OF COURSE! and always… especially when its your recipes! 😀

4. Jennifer JCD says:

Ooooh, yum!! My husband asked me to make ‘that yummy chickpea chocolate chip dip’ again, so I’ll surprise him with this even chocolatier version, and maybe top it with some fresh raspberries from the garden just for fun. 🙂 You’re genius!

Raw cookie dough and brownie batter = absolutely yes! I quite often only cook half of any cooke recipe I make, saving the rest of the batter for snack time! sometimes I’ll even freeze raw cookie dough – for some reason it tastes even better when frozen.

5. So good! I could totally see this on a crusty piece of baguette sprinkled with a little sea salt for a savory and sweet dessert.

The question should be “do you ever NOT eat the batter when baking” – LOL!

6. Ooooh – brownie batter with beans!! I’m in heaven 🙂

7. OMG I have to try this! You are a genius lady! Now I don’t have to feel guilty about downing a whole bowl of brownie batter 😀

8. Oh my – this looks amazing! I love the fact that there are garbanzos in it to make it healthy!

9. Bekah says:

Love it! You should try it with black beans too! It’s also amazing! 🙂 I am so glad you experimented with making this one! I secretly had to try making it with black beans when I was craving brownies, it’s one that can get addicting.

1. I will have to try your black bean idea!

10. Tricia says:

I love eating raw dough. It’s probably the best part of baking and the part i look forward to the most! Also, i know what your talking about when it doesn’t yield as much :/ frustrates me sometimes lol.

11. Jenny says:

Oh… My… CHOCOLATE! (“OMC”? Why does that sound better than the sometimes-annoying “OMG”? Maybe because it involves chocolate…) You’ve done it now. 🙂 I don’t know about you, Katie, but I think you should patent these “__ batter dips”. They’re just too awesome. Well, I love the chocolate chip cookie one, so I bet this one’ll be just as amazing.

Love eating the raw dough and batters when I bake! I seem to taste-test as I go for almost all recipes, though [unless it’s a cover + don’t-touch-until-it’s-fully-cooked type recipe]…

1. Kailey says:

Oh my chocolate? New favorite phrase!

12. katie says:

I am thinking this is AMAZING! great for dipping strawberries in! yum!!!!!!!

love you! U never cease to amaze me with recipes that are yummy and easy! U rock! xoxo <3

13. I will definitely be making this…SOON! I always always eat the raw brownie batter (and pretty much any other batter). Usually I’ve eaten so much batter that by the time the brownies are ready, I’m full! 🙂 Thanks for another great recipe!

1. Kailey says:

Me too! But then I see the final product and suddenly my appetite comes backk!

14. Melissa says:

This is right up my alley. Sometimes, I don’t even care about the baked brownies. I will whip up a batch just so I can lick the bowl!

15. kate says:

this looks sooo rich and amazing I need some now!

16. Aja says:

Oh my gosh that looks so good!

17. Heather says:

Might try it with black beans – same idea, but with a little darker “chocolate” color – and more iron : )

1. Rebecca Wright says:

I’ve made black bean brownies so that’s how I made the dip yesterday & it was wonderfee! Totally yum! Just FYI (^-^)

18. I am so bad when it comes to raw cookie/brownie/cake batter. I swear I could eat the entire bowl! 😉
    I think I might copy Heather’s idea^^^ and use black beans instead of the garbanzos. In addition to changing the color it will probably make the dip creamier too! 😀

1. Karine says:

You could also try cannellini beans, they are very soft and creamy!

19. Amber K says:

I love making raw cookie dough batter so I can eat as much as I want! Although, I just can’t jump on the beans in desserts bandwagon. All I can taste is the bean! But whatever floats your boat 😉

1. Sarahishealthy says:

I was skeptical at first too. But it really is good! I’ve tried another black bean brownie recipe, and that one was AWFUL! But the deep dish cookie pie recipe on this website made me a believer in the beans for dessert thing!

2. Heather says:

Another trick – drain and rinse the beans really well first. Get all the extra starchy-ness out of them. When I make black bean brownies, I rinse, put the beans back in the can and add water back in, puree and add to the dry ingredients.

1. Amber K says:

Hmm…I might have to experiment. I tried them in a brownie recipe once and it was just terrible. But maybe there is a way to make them appealing?

20. VEGirl says:

I love eating batter– I think the baking soda sizzle and raw flour tastes great ;). I left some of the other beany cookie dough dip in the fridge and my mom ate it without knowing what it was (story of my life– I’ve lost many-a-snack to my mom!). She totally thought it was normal cookie dough! I think this stuff would be great… how can you go wrong with chocolate? (there shouldn’t even be a question mark there…)