Healthy Nutella

This smooth and dreamy homemade & healthy Nutella is my newest obsession!

Homemade Nutella recipe from @choccoveredkt lets you control how much sugar goes in. Low-fat, low-sugar, vegan, gf options. Get the recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/

Soon to be your newest obsession.

Once you try this healthy Nutella chocolate spread, you’ll never want to put your spoon down. Never ever.

Unless, of course, you don’t like Nutella… Is that even possible? Is there a person in this world who can resist that velvety chocolate butter? If it’s true, please send me your spoon. I’ll happily eat your portion of this healthy homemade nutella. I’m nice like that.

nutella vegan

On Friday, I posted my blog’s Top 10 – Most Popular Healthy Desserts.

The following recipe is so incredibly delicious it might just make the list for next year! Super-rich and creamy, my homemade Nutella rivals the decadence of that famous spread you find at grocery stores.

homemade nutella recipe

This version is much lower in sugar (or it can even be sugar free!), is suitable for vegans or those with dairy allergies, and it’s high in Vitamin E, B vitamins, and healthy fats!

My homemade healthy Nutella version also has just half the calories of store-bought Nutella, although I didn’t specifically set out to make a low-calorie homemade Nutella recipe. It just turned out that way.

vegan nutella recipe

My first love.

Long before I discovered boys (or at least before I stopped believing they had cooties!), I gave my heart to Nutella. Back then, the spread wasn’t popular like it is now. All the kids in my class thought I was so weird for bringing Nutella sandwiches to school. Day after day, they nibbled their boring pb&js, while I blissfully devoured a chocolate sandwich. (In just a few months, I’d hooked all my friends onto this miracle spread, and soon everyone was bringing Nutella for lunch!)

I gave up eating Nutella when I went vegan, over ten years ago. They do now sell such a thing as vegan Nutella (Justin’s chocolate-hazelnut spread), and it is delicious. However it’s not silky-smooth like the Nutella I so loved as a child.

Tired of feeling left out, I took matters into my own chocolate-covered hands one day, throwing more and more ingredients into my Cuisinart until I achieved exactly what I was looking for:

Homemade Nutella - lets you control how much sugar goes in. Low-fat, low-sugar, vegan, gf options… Full Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Healthy Nutella – Homemade

Print This Recipe 4.83/5
4.83/524

Ingredients

Healthy Nutella

• 2 cups raw hazelnuts (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp xylitol, or sugar, or pure maple syrup
  • pinch stevia, or 1 tbsp additional sugar
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • optional: 2 tsp oil (for extra smoothness, but it's still very smooth if you leave out the oil)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
Total Time: 10m
Yield: 2 cups

Instructions

Homemade Nutella Recipe: Roast hazelnuts for 6-8 minutes at 400 F. Rub them together in a paper towel to get the skins off. (It’s ok if a few stubborn skins won’t come off.) In a Vita-mix or food processor, blend the nuts until they’ve turned to butter, then add all other ingredients and blend a long time until it’s smooth like Nutella! (I think I blended off-and-on for a full two minutes. It’s extra-creamy in a Vita-mix, but a Cuisinart food processor works as well.)

View Healthy Nutella Nutrition Facts

The nutritional info includes the sugar/agave. For a sugar-free healthy Nutella, you can replace all of the sugar with an equal amount of xylitol.  Or, you can sweeten with stevia instead. (I haven’t personally tried this recipe using just stevia, so I can’t vouch for the resulting taste if you go that route.)

Have you ever tried Nutella?

I’m imagining all the possible ways I can use this healthy Nutella recipe! Homemade Nutella ice cream, pancakes, cupcakes… or if you are brave you could try it on top of my Black Bean Brownies!

Link Of The Day:

A rich, gooey, & chocolatey cake from @choccoveredkt you can make in the microwave, under 200 calories for the entire thing! Get the recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/11/06/one-minute-chocolate-cake/

One Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Yum! I bet this would be great if made with peanuts too!

Do you have any suggestions though, for someone with a weak food processor? I haven’t had much luck in the past in making nut butters 🙂

1. Barb says:

do you have a hand-held blender? these also work really well, i’ve found, for many of Katie’s recipes!

2. If you do a lot of cooking, it really is worth investing in a good food processor. I’ve had my Cuisinart for over 7 years!

It’s better than wasting the money on ingredients that you have to end up throwing out because the cheap machine won’t blend it :(.

1. This question may sound like an oxymoron, but do you know of any affordable, but good quality food processors?

Thanks, and if not, I know what I want for Christmas NEXT year 🙂

1. Kim says:

I have a black & decker. I got it from Walmart for $30. It’s really loud, but it does a good job. No idea if it will make the quality of nut butter that you are after, but it makes really good hummus.

2. Penny Lane Knight says:

I purchased a Black and Decker at Target and I have made many Almond butters, cashew butters, hummus, black bean brownies, avocado pudding, and even made nutella tonight and haven’t had a problem. I think mine was like 40 bucks

1. Jamie says:

How do you make avocado pudding???

2. Penny Lane Knight says:

It’s a variation of Chocolate pudding, but you use 2 avocados, 8 soaked dates (i tend to use more) cocoa powder, vanilla extract and spin until it is smooth.

3. Anonymous says:

What model of Black and Decker was it? Or any other recommendations under $100? I was sure that I’d have to spend $500+ on a Vitamix to make nut butters, so this is encouraging!

4. Amy says:

I have a basic Ninja ($40) and it can make nut butters, spinach smoothies, great frozen drinks… have owned it about 5-6 years!

5. Casey says:

The Ninja does this? That’s exactly what I have, but I always get worried when I’m blending for long periods of time, since it’s a pulse blender, because it gets really hot. I was afraid it was going to short out on me, but I guess it you’ve had yours for years doing stuff like this it should be fine. Do you just let it get hot or do you stop and wait for it to cool down?

6. Anonymous says:

The Nutri Bullet (new version of the Magic Bullet) is AWESOME! I have a VitaMix, but use the Bullet to make nut butters (and morning smoothies, and sauces, etc.). It’s the BEST $99 (less 30% at Kohl’s!!) that I have EVER spent!

7. Anonymous says:

Wow, I have a ninja and it won’t make nut butters or smoothies without having chunks; even after 3-5 minutes of blending. And the sucker does get hot! Saving my $$ for a Vita-mix.

8. Sandra says:

My regular old magic bullet will make nut butters no problem! I have a $150 Ninja that will not do anything 🙁

9. Lauren says:

My ninja is awesome. I make smoothies once or twice a day with lots of frozen stuff and spinach and it’s always super smooth very quickly.

3. Azjackie says:

I have bought a couple good food processors from Walmart. One I had over 12 years until the lid cracked. It had been discontinued. You would have thought I lost my best friend. Even the manufacturer couldn’t believe it lasted so long without a problem. I use one every day. I have grown to a Hamilton Beach from Walmart and it is more powerful. I like it and for the price if it breaks it is easily replaceable.

5/5

5/5

3. Anonymous says:

The Nutri Bullet (new version of the Magic Bullet) is AWESOME! I have a VitaMix, but use the Bullet to make nut butters (and smoothies, sauces, salsas, etc.). It’s the BEST $99 (less 30% at Kohl’s!!) that I have EVER spent!

4. Harriet says:

I’ve made this Nutella before, and I have an oscar that is 20 years old or something! I find the taste is fine, but it IS a tad grainy… 🙁 I’m making some now, and I’m going to make hazelnut meal first in a spice grinder, then try making butter. Wish me luck!

2. Nutella is gross. The #1 ingredient is sugar, and #2 is palm oil. Nasty.

1. Anonymous says:

I’m with you on this, Nutella is disgusting. I can’t stomach how sweet it is.

2. S. Madly says:

Why would you even bother to post this comment?

3. Anonymous says:

You have no soul.

1. Anonymous says:

hahahahaha ^^^^^ amen to that. Nutella is the nectar of the gods!

4. Anonymous says:

Yes, it has too much sugar (which is why I am looking to make my own anyway)…but the palm oil is actually a GOOD thing. Tropical oils (palm, coconut) are good for you. Canola oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated oils…they’re all bad for you. Why have we been told that they’re good for us?? Because that’s where the $ is for farmers in the US. I will only use fats that can turn solid. (Butter, coconut oil & olive oil (will turn if kept cool enough)… and I only use olive oil about 10% of the time and never for skillet cooking (it oxidizes at high temps, goes rancid). So before people go batty over fat content, dig a little deeper… most of what “they” have told us is wrong. Nobody has *ever* proved that saturated fat is unhealthy!!!

1. threenorns says:

you’ve got that 100% correct.

saturated fats are needed to make testosterone and bile. contrary to popular opinion, the science now shows that satfats do NOT contribute to high cholesterol. overeating on a regular basis, eating too much artificially processed food, not eating enough whole-grain and other high-soluble-fibre foods, and sitting on your butt all day is what creates high cholesterol.

2. Claire says:

The issue I have personally consuming palm oil has nothing to do with it’s nutritional value and everything to do with the methods by which it is produced: mass rainforest deforestation, impinging on the habitats of native animals such as orangutans…

While hydrogenated oils (i.e. trans fats) are bad for you, the idea that unsaturated fats can be better for you than saturated is not unfounded- it’s basic chemistry. Non-animal derived saturated fats (such as coconut oil) are definitely better than butter, lard etc though. To work by the doctrine of ‘if it can’t turn solid, I won’t eat it’ is pretty redundant as any lipid will solidify if cooled enough- the ‘straight’ molecular structure of saturated fats simply allows them to do so at approximately room temperature.

1. crosswind says:

Agree — it’s very very sad what is happending to orangutangs. I see many stories shared on social media & photos of starving orangutangs showing up at villages starving after their trees were cut down. Some have their babies clinging to them and NO FOOD. They eat Palm FRUIT, which are being chopped down for OIL instead. Some of these orangutans are tied up and tortured in the villages. We need to use LESS PALM and palm free recipes. Coconut is def better.

3. chelsea says:

Palm oil isn’t very sustainable and harvesting it is causing massive deforestation. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=456211624396546&set=a.282205955130448.74651.246318675385843&type=1&theater0)While saturated fats are good for you in moderation, it’s much better to use coconut oil. Maybe you should dig a little deeper into the environmental impact of your decisions before lecturing others.

1. Anonymous says:

Word!

4. kYANNE says:

Palm oil is a type of vegetable oil which has a very high content of saturated fat. It is derived from the palm fruit, grown on the African oil palm tree. Oil palms originated in West Africa, but can flourish wherever heat and rainfall are abundant. Today, almost all palm oil is produced in, and exported from, Indonesia and Malaysia; but most of the time not using sustainable measures.

Thousands of kilometres of pristine rainforest is slashed and burned in order to make way for oil palm plantations. Many orangutans and other animals are killed in the process, for the production of palm oil used in many of our everyday foods and products. This large-scale deforestation is pushing orangutans to extinction, along with many other native species of Borneo and Sumatra.

5. John says:

Some saturated fat is needed, but the massive amounts consumed by most of western culture is unhealthy. The comment that saturated fats have never been proven unhealthy is fairly unenlightened. For instance, saturated fats bind to receptors (Toll-like receptors (TLRs) and oligomerization domain containing proteins (Nods)) which are two major pattern recognition receptors (PRR) involved in how our bodies defend against bacterial infection. This causes an inflammation response implicated in cancer, diabetes and atherosclerosis.
        So, dig a little deeper. Its complex but too much saturated fat is unhealthy.

1. shalom says:

Saturated fats, even animal based ones, are very healthy even eaten in large amounts. Contrary to what you have said, it is the polyunsaturated fats like canola (which is made from a toxic plant by the way) are the contributors to inflammation and diabetes.
          I control diabetes by diet only (no meds) and have done a lot of study on the topic so I can better manage diabetes. I use almost exclusively saturated fats (and a lot of it) mostly butter, some coconut/palm, some home rendered tallow/lard (to avoid the trans fats) and my cholesterol levels are lower than they were when I was using canola and vegetable oils. I do use a small amount of olive oil occasionally.
          Body organs including the brain and the heart need saturated fat to be healthy. A heart surgeon among others have said that is inflammation not cholesterol that causes atherosclerosis. He has seen the evidence. The reason they though it was cholesterol was that the inflammation causes the cholesterol to stick. The study done in the 30’s that claimed coconut oil (which is almost pure sat fat) was bad was actually done with hydrogenated coconut oil (trans fat). There are islands where coconut oil was used exclusively and they had very low heart disease and diabetes, …. When they started eating the western poly-unsat fats these diseases sky rocketed.

6. Mama B says:

Not the palm oil they use…Its palm kernel oil. Not good.

7. Gem says:

The palm oil used in commercial Nutella is hydrogenated, or they changed the wording to “modified” to be more discreet, transfer heaven. Not to mention deforestation some people care more about.

8. Cheryl says:

Thank you!!! you took the words right outta my mouth. And for the other posters… Palm and Palm kernel oil are fine too as long as they’re not hydrogenated or modified (with the exception of the harvesting of palm oil and deforestation… that’s bad!)

9. Del says:

Palm oil is not a good thing. For humans it is nutritionally ok but the cost to other species on this earth is truly appalling. Just google about palm oil production and orangutans. Prepare to be really shocked and incredibly upset at what we are doing to our very close relatives.

1. Stephanie says:

I’m no kin to the monkey (or orangutan)! 🙂

5. kat says:

Isn’t the point of this recipe to make it home?.. So you don’t have to put sugar in it if you don’t want to?.. Or any oil? -_- I don’t understand the reasoning that went behind your comment… You make no sense gurll

1. Amra says:

Instead of sugar use carob powder. Carob has many health benefits! The real nutella had msg, it’s under vanilin. I use coconut oil and almond milk.

6. Rachel @ EdibleHTX says:

I WISH I felt this way – I can’t buy the stuff or I spoon it out until it’s gone!

3. Jennifer says:

I think I might have to buy some hazelnuts on the way home… 🙂

Thanks, Katie!

4. I’m in love. After I finish my $9+ jar of Justin’s chocolate hazelnut (pretty much Nutella by a different name) I’ll be making this. I’m guessing I’ll be saving some money too! 🙂

5. carmen berkey says:

hey! i am sooo glad you’ve come up with this! My kids looooove nutella so i cant wait to try it out! Could you use coconut oil as a sub for the oil you think? Also would it work in a vitamix?

1. Yes, coconut oil will be fine! 🙂

I haven’t tried it in the Vita. If you (or anyone reading this) try it, please let me know if it works!

1. Joy says:

I’ve made peanut butter in my Vita so I’m sure this would work. I’ll try it soon and let you know!

2. Laura says:

I’ve made vegan nutella in a Vitamix & it works GREAT! can’t wait to try your version!! 🙂

1. Kristi says:

Ditto – worked like a charm! And it tasted AMAZING! It’s my go-to gift for people, lately 🙂

2. LJ Grant says:

Hey y’all… I have a Vitamix, have had it for years. You say you made this in your VM’s? How on EARTH did you get it OUT of the container? If there is one thing I’ve come to loathe about my VM and using it (though of course I still do!) is that it’s so bloody difficult to get what I make out of the bottom without having to wash it down the drain. My best results come from a rubbery/silicon spatula.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? I’d love to try this… never had Nutella, but was at a friend’s place and saw the ingredients. Blech… but I’m afraid to waste so many hazelnuts to the irretrievable pit of my VM carafe.

Help!

3. Julia says:

I’ve made it in my Blendtec and it works very well.

4. Danielle says:

Just made it in the vitamix this afternoon. It turned out great! Still not quite as creamy as the original, but that’s ok. I think the homemade version tastes just a little bit nuttier than the original as well, but that could also be because I used almond milk. Either way, it’s DELICIOUS!!

2. Jeff Hilbrecht says:

Will it work in a vita mix? Are you kidding?! Those things are so incredible you can practically put rocks in them to make your own sand! LOL

6. Yvonne says:

I LOVE nutella! I’m excited to try this as we make vegan crepes all the time and nutella used to be a favorite of ours–until the no dairy thing. I ate nutella like peanut butter when I lived in France–because I missed peanut butter but nutella was an amazing replacement. So excited to try this!

7. Barb says:

When I was abroad i ate nutella by the spoonful. I ate so much of it while I was there, I haven’t touched it since I’ve been back in the states (about 3 years now!) your post has made me crave it again and I can’t wait to go buy some hazelnuts!

8. So much healthier than the nasty Nutella!

9. Rose says:

This is actually incredibly exciting since I have more than once sat down to a jar of nutella with nothin’ but a spoon.
    Did you use a dark cocoa powder (e.g. Hershey’s dark)? I’m curious as to how using simply an unsweetened cocoa powder would affect the taste, since I tend to find it makes things taste like chocolate cake rather than chocolate chocolate 😉

1. Sarah M says:

I used Hershey’s dark and I love it!!

2. I used unsweetened (regular)… but after reading Sarah’s comment, I want to try dark someday!

10. SugarFreeMom says:

I loved Nutella has a kid AND adult, but said goodbye about 8 years ago when I knew I had to cut out the addictive sugar in my life. Thanks for this great recipe. I will definitely be trying it!

11. Melanie says:

I think you just made my decade!

12. Elisabetta says:

Ehh, of course I’ve tried Nutella! When I was young I loved it -and actually I still love it, even if I don’t eat it anymore because it’s too fat and unhealthy… I like your vegan version but I definitely don’t wanna try it cause I don’t want to become Katie’s Nutella addicted, I like my skinny aspect! By the way your recipe is gorgeous!

13. This looks delicious! I’ve been thinking about trying to make my own for awhile now, I’m excited to try yours! I love Nutella! 🙂

14. tea-bagginit says:

i’ve only tried nutella in crepes (back in my college-sweet-eating days) 🙂 i don’t have a huge sweet tooth, but i bet my bf will love these!

15. Celina says:

OMG. I can’t wait to make this!! I’ve tried a different version, with no success. Sounds like the milk will make it better for sure! And I’d also be curious to know if using coconut oil and the Vitamix would work…

16. Tiffany says:

Personally I am too addicted to sugar so this month I have gone off “intentional” sugar. I’m not fanatically reading labels, but not grabbing for the cookies and ice cream like I did all last month! I was just looking at the jar of nutella last night that my kids love so much and wishing it didn’t have so much sugar so I can start limiting their sugar intake as well. They won’t eat the Justin’s brand. I am so happy to see your post this morning and try your version with them, thanks so much!

17. Looks great! I wish I have a food processor to make this! Maybe I’ll just use ground hazelnuts and try blending them…:D

18. L. says:

I’ve tried two different (blogger recipes) homemade Nutella recipes, and both were busts. They were so gritty! But yours looks smooth and amazing. I am thinking the third time’s the charm!

And the photos are BEAUTIFUL!

19. Better than Nutella?! That’s a bold statement! You’ve never steered me wrong before though! 🙂

20. K says:

What kind of food processor do you have that grinds a nut butter as smooth as this?! We just moved overseas with none of our kitchen items, so please let me know, I’m in the market 🙂

1. Mine is actually pretty old! It’s a Cuisinart, and I highly recommend them. I’ve had it 7 years, and it still works great!