Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

This ultra thick and creamy peanut butter banana smoothie recipe tastes like drinking a milkshake… and it’s good for you at the same time!

A peanut butter banana smoothie for a healthy breakfast

I know some people swear by cold cereal for breakfast. But whenever I eat a bowl of cereal, I always seem to be hungry again less than an hour later.

Does this happen to you as well?

However, I do like the convenience of cold cereal. Sure, it would be nice to eat homemade pancakes or waffles or this Healthy Banana Bread every single day for breakfast, but who has time for that?

Especially on Mondays, I want something that doesn’t take all morning to prepare, can be made with just a few ingredients, and will hold me over until lunch.

Enter this easy banana smoothie recipe.

Trending Right Now: Easy Cinnamon Rolls4 Ingredients

Easy Peanut Butter Smoothie

In 5 minutes or less, you have a balanced and filling breakfast with:

Two servings of fruit

Calcium, potassium, and fiber

And 12 grams of protein… even if you don’t add any yogurt or protein powder!

This best peanut butter banana smoothie is also easy to take on the go, which means you get to set your alarm clock that much later in the morning .Winking smile

Trending Right Now: Overnight Oats – 15 Healthy Recipes

(Above – watch the video of how to make a peanut butter banana smoothie)

For an even thicker smoothie–almost more like a peanut butter and banana milkshake than a smoothie–be sure to include the optional 1/3 cup oats.

This will also up the fiber and protein, helping to fill you up until lunch.

The recipe can be suitable for numerous special diets as well, including vegan, gluten free, soy free, refined sugar free, paleo, high fiber, low cholesterol, low calorie, and high protein.

Feel free to substitute almond butter, cashew butter, pecan butter, even or sunflower butter if you have allergies or simply want to switch up the flavor.

You can use whatever milk you wish – almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, rice milk, coconut milk, etc.

And of course you absolutely can add cocoa powder if you want to make it a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie!

The Best 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Recipe

If you try the recipe, be sure to tag @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your pictures!

Leftover banana? Make these Banana Muffins!

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

This creamy peanut butter banana smoothie recipe tastes like drinking a milkshake, yet it's healthy at the same time!
4.83/5 (46)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 2 servings

Ingredients

• 2 overripe frozen large bananas
  • 4-6 tbsp peanut butter or pb2, or allergy-friendly sub
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk of choice, depending on desired thickness
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • optional 1/3 cup quick oats or rolled oats
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • optional scoop protein powder

Instructions

• *If you want an even thicker shake, feel free to add an extra banana. The bananas should be at least partially brown before peeling and freezing.
    To make the peanut butter banana smoothie recipe, blend the oats until a fine powder forms, then add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Drink immediately, or store in a covered container in the refrigerator if you’d prefer to make the smoothie the night before.
    View Nutrition Facts

Notes

This peanut butter smoothie makes a really great breakfast along with a batch of homemade Protein Bars!

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

hello-breakfast-recipes.png

More About The Cookbook

More Healthy Banana Ideas:

Chocolate Baked Oatmeal

Peanut Butter Brownie Baked Oatmeal

carrot bread

Carrot Cake Banana Bread

Banana Ice Cream Recipes

(Including Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream)

banana recipes

Banana Recipes

Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe

Chocolate Banana Bread

Banana Oatmeal, my new favorite breakfast. Just a few basic ingredients, and it's super healthy and easy to make.

Banana Oatmeal

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

105 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Melissa Smith says

Cold Cereal NOOOOO! Too sugared up and definitely doesn’t fill me for the morning. I made this smoothie this morning and it was great. I added flaxseeds too and it was so huge I was drinking it at work over 2 hours!
    Ive always had a thing for breakfast foods but I’m worse since I found your blog 🙂 I just can’t make anything boring anymore, it has to be a breakfast creation!

2. CharOsT says

Just wanted to say I swear by this – I don’t usually put in the vanilla extract, sweetener or protein powder as I love how light and refreshing it tastes with rice milk! The best in hot weather. And I usually don’t like cereals either – only muesli with A LOT of fruit can sustain me just as well as oatmeal! Speaking of which, a collection of your recipes inspired me this morning for a microwaved banana, peanut butter, dark chocolate oatmeal with raisins – just the thing I needed for another day of exams!
    I love your whole website – my sister has learnt to accept that whenever we cook/bake, your site is the first we reference! Completely inspiring to take a different approach to cooking with both healthy good stuff (AND irresistible deliciousness!) in my house.
    – Charlene (UK)

3. Lisa @bitesforbabies says

I make something similar very often-especially when the warm weather hits! I blend frozen bananas with almond butter and a few other ingredients. Instead if a smoothie, I call it “ice cream” 😉

4. Angie says

I am hooked! I can’t thank you enough for this recipe! You are 100% right that after eating cereal hunger hits too soon. I made this yesterday for breakfast (it took all my reserves not to down it in one gulp it was soo good) and wasn’t hungry till well after lunch time! Had it again today and haven’t needed a snack or anything so again Thank you!!!

5. KC says

I tripled the recipe and made this for breakfast this morning for my husband, my 2 year old, and myself. It tasted great without any added sweetener. It was just like having a shake for breakfast. It did hold us over until lunch time too. Thanks for sharing this recipe Katie!

6. Claire says

You know Katie, every time I try to make a fruit smoothie at home, no matter the ingredients, no matter the recipe, it tastes horrible. Not this one! This was my first successful scratch smoothie and it tastes amazing! I especially love the taste of rolled oats, it really balances out the flavors! Bravo!

7. Steph says

I used to always eat cold cereal for breakfast- the really sugary stuff, I don’t understand how, looking back! Oats, smoothies and pancakes all the way!

8. Christa says

Just made this today and it was delicious. Next time I might be adventurous and try it with some cocoa powder too. Thanks for the recipe.

9. Leona B. says

I’ve never tried peanut butter banana smoothie, but it looks delicious!! Isn’t it too sweet?? I think this would be great in combination with cereals. This is the best food to eat and drink first thing in the morning!

10. Lily says

This is one of my favorite recipes of yours—I absolutely love the milkshakes, but for some reason have trouble with the bananas getting blended (quite possibly a result of my cheap blender), but with this smoothie the bananas blended quite well! I can’t seem to convince anybody that’s it’s healthy because it tastes so good!

11. Sigrid says

This sure looks tasty and so I hope on trying this soon! I just need to know how much time does it take to make this smoothie?

12. Diana says

I made this using only one tablespoon of peanut butter, and I added a dash of cinnamon and a Truvia packet as well. Very tasty, and very filling, too!

13. Marta says

The recipe is very easy and delicious, I’ve eaten it countless times since August, but I wanted to check the nutrition facts and I’m a bit concerned about it. If you suggest at least 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, this one ingredient has already 320 kcal, assuming that one tbsp is 25 g. If you add an average banana, oats, almond milk and the rest of ingredients, it’s almost 550 kcal – without protein powder! Compared to what you wrote – 350 kcal – the difference is huge. The recipe says it serves 1, so… something is wrong. I’m all confused now. Could you please explain how you calculated those 350 kcal? 🙂

5/5

5/5

14. Jen says

This peanut butter banana smoothie is so easy but so good. Love how something so simple can taste so great!

5/5