Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

This ultra thick and creamy peanut butter banana smoothie recipe tastes like drinking a milkshake… and it’s good for you at the same time!

A peanut butter banana smoothie for a healthy breakfast

I know some people swear by cold cereal for breakfast. But whenever I eat a bowl of cereal, I always seem to be hungry again less than an hour later.

Does this happen to you as well?

However, I do like the convenience of cold cereal. Sure, it would be nice to eat homemade pancakes or waffles or this Healthy Banana Bread every single day for breakfast, but who has time for that?

Especially on Mondays, I want something that doesn’t take all morning to prepare, can be made with just a few ingredients, and will hold me over until lunch.

Enter this easy banana smoothie recipe.

Trending Right Now: Easy Cinnamon Rolls4 Ingredients

Easy Peanut Butter Smoothie

In 5 minutes or less, you have a balanced and filling breakfast with:

Two servings of fruit

Calcium, potassium, and fiber

And 12 grams of protein… even if you don’t add any yogurt or protein powder!

This best peanut butter banana smoothie is also easy to take on the go, which means you get to set your alarm clock that much later in the morning .Winking smile

Trending Right Now: Overnight Oats – 15 Healthy Recipes

(Above – watch the video of how to make a peanut butter banana smoothie)

For an even thicker smoothie–almost more like a peanut butter and banana milkshake than a smoothie–be sure to include the optional 1/3 cup oats.

This will also up the fiber and protein, helping to fill you up until lunch.

The recipe can be suitable for numerous special diets as well, including vegan, gluten free, soy free, refined sugar free, paleo, high fiber, low cholesterol, low calorie, and high protein.

Feel free to substitute almond butter, cashew butter, pecan butter, even or sunflower butter if you have allergies or simply want to switch up the flavor.

You can use whatever milk you wish – almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, rice milk, coconut milk, etc.

And of course you absolutely can add cocoa powder if you want to make it a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie!

The Best 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie Recipe

If you try the recipe, be sure to tag @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your pictures!

Leftover banana? Make these Banana Muffins!

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

This creamy peanut butter banana smoothie recipe tastes like drinking a milkshake, yet it's healthy at the same time!
4.83/5 (46)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 2 servings

Ingredients

• 2 overripe frozen large bananas
  • 4-6 tbsp peanut butter or pb2, or allergy-friendly sub
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk of choice, depending on desired thickness
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • optional 1/3 cup quick oats or rolled oats
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • optional scoop protein powder

Instructions

• *If you want an even thicker shake, feel free to add an extra banana. The bananas should be at least partially brown before peeling and freezing.
    To make the peanut butter banana smoothie recipe, blend the oats until a fine powder forms, then add all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Drink immediately, or store in a covered container in the refrigerator if you’d prefer to make the smoothie the night before.
    View Nutrition Facts

Notes

This peanut butter smoothie makes a really great breakfast along with a batch of homemade Protein Bars!

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

hello-breakfast-recipes.png

More About The Cookbook

More Healthy Banana Ideas:

Chocolate Baked Oatmeal

Peanut Butter Brownie Baked Oatmeal

carrot bread

Carrot Cake Banana Bread

Banana Ice Cream Recipes

(Including Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream)

banana recipes

Banana Recipes

Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe

Chocolate Banana Bread

Banana Oatmeal, my new favorite breakfast. Just a few basic ingredients, and it's super healthy and easy to make.

Banana Oatmeal

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

105 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Jessica Kuligowski says

Cold cereal needs protein to make it filling. I either use a protein shake instead of milk or make a parfait with yogurt. Lately, I’ve been making PB2 milk for my cereal. Now that’s yummy.

2. Juliet says

Why have several of the recent recipes you posted just been old recipes? This one, the snack bars, the spaghetti o’s, (there may have been a couple others too) I am pretty much positive I have already seen on the blog…Are they just favorites? 🙂 I hope i don’t sound rude I was just wondering why this is haha. Would love to see more new recipes (the buffalo chili looks great though!). Thanks!

• Jason Sanford says

Katie is going back and updating some of the reader favorite recipes. From her blog:

Now that I’ve finally started posting videos (what took me so long?!), I’m going back to some of the most popular recipes of three to four years ago to remake them, add videos, and see if I can make the original recipes even healthier.

• Jason Sanford says

It will depend greatly on the type of milk you use and whether you add any sweetener. If you don’t add sweetener, it’s just the amount of sugar in a banana.

3. Laviza says

Hi,
    It’s Yummy, Learn New Things From Your Blog.I’m Not Good in Cooking But I am tried to learn.You Writing Style is Awsome.Thanks For Sharing with us.Keep it up.

4. Shirley says

Hi Katie, is there any other fruit I can sub the banana for? I can’t stand the banana flavor in smoothies
    Thank you!

5. Julia says

It sounds absolutely yummy. I really have to try it soon. So far I’ve only had the fruity types of smoothies. But this sounds like a proper satisfying breakfast.

6. Sherry S. says

This was so yummy! And I liked it because it wasn’t too thick for me. (I cut the recipe in half for a single serving, but used 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, plus a tiny splash more) Every day I usually start my day with your “Shamrock Shake” smoothie recipe, but this will make for a really great addition for variety. Thanks, Katie!

I’d love to try it again with a handful of chocolate chips or a little cacao powder (anti-oxidants, yay!) to see if it will taste like a chocolate peanut butter cup. YUM. 😉

7. Sherry S. says

I’ve never used powered peanut butter before but would love to give it a try, so I have a question out of curiosity. Do you just measure out the tablespoons of the powered pb2, or do you have to mix it with a liquid?

The only reason I ask is because when I checked out a container of pb2 at my grocery store, I noticed it had instructions to mix it with a liquid to make a spread. Since this recipe is for a drink, not going on (for example) a piece of toast, do you bother to mix it with a liquid? Or do you just use the powder itself in the smoothie?

Thanks, Katie!

8. Alexandra says

Peanut butter smoothies were a childhood treat of mine. My brother wasn’t a fan of “normal” smoothies, and my sister absolutely DESPISED peanut butter (I enjoyed both on a semi-regular basis), yet they both loved peanut butter banana smoothies. Must have been the chocolate. We used Hershey’s chocolate syrup and never added anything resembling oats, though, so it was most certainly not as healthy as your version, but childhood memories of my little brother waking me up with the annoying sound of a blender made me try this recipe. And it was good.

9. Lindsay says

I like combining PB2 and peanut butter–getting the creaminess from a few tbsps PB and additional PB flavor from the PB2. Other optional add-ins I’ve enjoyed: frozen berries for a PB&J shake, 1 tbsp protein powder for added protein, and/or 1/2-3/4 c. frozen spinach or kale to get yer greens.

10. Sara says

I made this tonight after seeing it in my feed. I really never make smoothies, but i tried it! So good! I used local honey as the sweetener..

11. Lula says

I tried a few of your recipes and they were all very delicious. I am not a big fan of peanut butter or smoothies but I find this one very tasty and filling.

12. Nyema says

This Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie recipe is A MUST TRY!! I made it yesterday for lunch and again today for breakfast I’m addicted lol. The added oats is genuis it really makes the Smoothie thick and creamy I usually eat overnight oaks for breakfast but since trying this I am now drinking this for breakfast. I use 1 frozen banana, dash of salt, 2 cap fulls of vanilla extract, 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter, 1 spoonful of honey, handful of ice, a scoop of my protein powder and unsweetened almond milk Ohh and can’t forget the 1/3 of oats which I blend first then add all the remaining ingredients. The finishing result is super delicious, thick and creamy. Thank you for such an great recipe.

13. Sarah-Beth says

yeah! Drinking this right now but (obviously) I added cacoa powder. Delicious! Tastes just like a chocolate milkshake!

14. Girls in London says

My best friend has perfected this recipe. Take protein powder and replace with a good lashing of Baileys. Amen.

15. Tiffany says

Lovely recipe. Perfect consistency for me. We get three smoothies from this recipe and we are ab to accompany them with a fry up!?

16. Char says

I’m a nurse, and I love the convenience of a smoothie for breakfast. My stomach isn’t awake enough to have food that early in the morning, but I can suck down a smoothie on the way to work. It gets me through until things calm down in mid morning, and I can have a snack. My method is to have small meals throughout the day instead of trying to sustain my energy until my blood sugar drops too low.
    I like frozen bananas and pb powder and Greek yogurt. I love the addition of oatmeal. Great idea!

17. Stuart says

I’m going to try this recipe and include icecream.
    I’m tempted to add a raw egg for more protein and to make the smoothie more filling.
    Can anybody tell me if it is safe to eat raw eggs now?
    Im not pregnant and have no allergies.
    Cheers

18. Sarah says

This was delicious, although I didn’t read that it was 2 servings so I totally just downed 718 calories in one sitting! Hahaha whoops! I’m totally fine with that since I’m pregnant and have had hyperemesis and lost 20lbs so far. I’ve been looking for a way to get more protein in since my unborn child decided I needed to be a vegetarian and some days vegan. Pretty much the only animal product I can stomach is milk, anything else from an animal makes me nauseous to even look at.

Unfortunately the protein shakes I drank before my pregnancy contain some ingredients that can change my hormone balance along with other natural products that haven’t been tested on the affect on an unborn child. As I looked at other protein powders more question came when it came the the amount of heavy metals they contained such as mercury!! Ahhhhh scary stuff…

I came along this recipe and just tried it out today! The bananas sweetened it just perfectly (no need for additional sweetener for me!)

I used:

2 frozen bananas
    1/3 cup rolled oat milk (gluten free organic)
    6 TBS PB2
    1 cup 2% milk
    1 cup fat free milk
    Pinch of salt

Next time I’ll just cut the recipe on half, although it was great getting in almost 40 grams of protein in one sitting! With having Hyperemesis the past 2.5 mo the I’ve been lucky to get in 20-30 grams of protein ALL day! Now that I’m feeling better I’m searching more plant based protein sources which I think has helped with my nausea and helping me on the road to recovery from HG! This shake will be a life saver for me! Thank you for sharing!

19. Alene says

I haven’t read all the comments, so I apologize if someone already wrote this. I have to be gluten free so I have some oat flour in my pantry and I used it instead of oatmeal ground finely. It worked perfectly! I adore peanut butter as well as bananas, so you pushed all my buttons! This was delicious, with 2 medium sized frozen bananas, 3 tablespoons of oat flour, 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, and 1.5 cups of skim milk. I’m in heaven! Thank you!