Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Sarah, the Cookie Monster

*Please be patient if you requested I add you to the blogroll.

Who doesn’t love cookie dough?
If you’ve been reading my blog for at least a month, you might remember this:

Cookie Dough Milkshake

I made this shake for a friend, Sarah.

But Sarah isn’t just any friend, she’s my best friend.

Do you have one best friend?
Or would you rather hang out in a group? Although I like hanging in a big group, I don’t think there’s ever been a point in my life where I didn’t have one best friend. And I know they say people tend to choose friends similar to themselves, but my best friends always seem to be exactly opposite from me!

For example: At a point in my life when I really cared what others thought of me (high school), my best friend was the most popular girl in our school. She didn’t care one iota what anyone thought! It was probably this devil-may-care attitude that attracted me toward her, and she definitely taught me to lighten up.

Finally, however, I can say that I’ve found a best friend who could be my twin… that is, if the twin position weren’t already filled by Kelsey. 😉

Sarah’s been my best friend for only about a year, but seriously I feel like I could tell this girl anything and she’d understand exactly what I meant. It’s also nice to have a bff with similar interests, because you’re free from the burden of doing activities you don’t enjoy.  Sarah is my Whole-Foods buddy, my shopping buddy, and even my dog-park buddy. (Thankfully, Molly and Henry get along with her Schnauzer.) She’s also a new vegetarian! (All my fault hehe.)

Anyway, Sarah and I decided it’d be fun to do a secret-santa thing for Easter. Except: It’s not Christmas. It’s not yet Easter. And, with only two of us involved, it obviously wasn’t a secret. So really… we just wanted an excuse to get gifts! cookie dough

I made my chocoholic bff a batch of Raw Cookie Dough Balls.

As for Sarah’s gift to me?

She must’ve been feeling the chocolate-chip-cookie vibes too:

Ok, I’ll take the Larabars. But what on earth is with the Longhorn? Sarah’s explanation: “Well, you already own a stuffed bunny. And this thing has long horns like a bunny, so…”

Wait, bunnies have horns? 😕

Are your friends like you?
Or are your friends completely opposite from you?

I’d stay and chat, but I have a date with some Chocolate Brownie Pancakes.

Tags: ,

1. Oh those cookie dough balls look amazing ! I would rather have a best friend who I can open up and share with rather than a lot of friends. Haha love the gifts :) enjoy your larabars!

2. Honestly most of my friends are a lot like me — in high school my close friend and I were commonly confused for one another — we didn’t really look alike but we acted alike!

I would much rather hang out with 1-3 people instead of a large group. I almost don’t seem to know what to DO when I’m in a big group. I have an easier time focusing on a smaller amount of people. I just seem to get lost in the conversations when I’m with a large amount of people.

3. my friends are not like me at all in terms of interests really but intellectually we love talking about everything and share similar worldviews

4. abhahah bunnies have horns??? silly, Sarah!
    YES i have two best friends and all three of us are super close! we are actually all so different but it all meshes together perfectly! i even got one of them to go to a vegan restaurant with me- she liked- woohoo!

cookie dough balls are the BEST gift to give to a friend!

5. Elizabeth A. says:

You look gorgeous in that pic! Haha I love your friend’s comment about the horns!

I’ve had an opposite best friend, but we drifted apart. Anyway, it’s good to have a group, but having too many best friends can lead to having to choose between one or the other during fights.

1. Awww Elizabeth, thank you!!!

6. VeggieGirl says:

Hmm, I don’t know – would you say that you and I are opposite or the same? 😀

Suave Slav and I call each other “astro mind twins,” haha.

1. ahaha I think we are SO the same! Well, except I am not a very good dancer and you are apparently world class ;). But maybe that will change when you teach me? 😉 😉

1. VeggieGirl says:

Come visit and Suave Slav & I will teach you to dance! :)

7. OMG, that longhorn is so cute! I’ll take him :)

Hmm, depends on the friend, some very similar, some very opposite, but we all share different traits.

8. My best friend is kind of opposite of me, although we do have some important similarities! We went vegetarian together 7 years ago and are both still doing it today!

What a cute idea to exchange Easter gifts! Looks like you both cleaned up well! :)

BTW, I just finished eating your red velvet pancakes for the 1st time and they were DEE-LICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe!

9. hahahaha…so sweet :) I always tended to have one best friend, too, and then other friends on top of that. Since I moved to Florida, I keep in touch with my friends back home, but not exactly in a ‘best friend” way you know? Well, I have a new best friend now-she is almost exactly like me….she even gave up sugar (for health problems) But she is a HUGE sugar lover 😉

10. emma says:

Hey hey!!! You and your BFF are just the sweetest! Friends like that are just the best….the family we choose for ourselves :-) I’m gonna make your spinach ice cream tonight! :-)
    Oh and I was responsible for one of my besties going veggie too….I felt so proud until one night she came running up to me in the gym and was like….”OMG OMG!!! I can’t believe what I did today….it was so bad…..and it’s all because of you!!!” I looked at her al puzzled and she went on to say, “Yeah, I’ve been eating tonnes of veggies thanks to you….and I ended up farting on my patient’s head!!!”…yeah, she’s a dentist!! I guess the transition to a more plant based diet can be a rude and windy awakening!

11. My sister, boyfriend, and mom are all my best friends!! My sister and I are exactly alike… we like the same foods for the most part, and people even say we sound the same!! That cookie dough milkshake looks amazing!!

12. You are so flippin’ cute! I don’t have just ONE best friend. I have a lot of people in my life that are are super dear to my heart. I think variety is the spice of life, so all my friends are different! Obviously I share some similarities with each of my friends, otherwise we wouldn’t have anything to connect about. But, I think it’s awesome to have a lot of different people in your life to teach you different things and play a unique role. Friends are awesome! :-)

13. lian says:

gosh your real-life friends are so lucky, i bet they get to test out your amazing recipes all the time 😉
    i agree with Alaina Rose ^ 😀
    i have a few people who are very close to me and play a different role in my life, but i would say that i have a couple of BFF’s among those !

oh another note– i made your single-lady muffin and cookie today !! (YES, both.) i actually microwaved the cookie for 1 minute instead of baking, and it was pretty good ! except, i followed your recipe and it turned out really small, i’m not quite sure why. i used 5 tsp spelt flour,…it wasn’t a typo for like, 5 T, right ? haha probably not, that would be a whole lot of flour. but any ideas ? :) the cookie was about the size of a faux-chicken-nugget 😀 delish though ! <33

1. Hmmm… it’s definitely 5 tsp :(. I get a cookie the size of my hand! I usually make two cookies. I don’t know what could’ve gone wrong! :(

14. Ann Claire says:

That’s so funny that your friend got you a longhorn…bunnies have horns???
    I kind of prefer to hangout in a group but there’s always definitely people in that group that I am closer to and would go to if I need something. For some reason I’ve never liked using the word best friend, I love all my friends for different reasons. That being said, looking back at certain times in my life I can distinctly remember who was my best friend at that time.
    Most of my friends and I are alike in that we have similar values and enjoy some of the same activities but we all have different hobbies and interest which I think is good.

15. Gen says:

My best friend and I are really similar in personality! We’ve also known each other practically our entire lives!!!!

16. You and your best friend sound perfectly matched for each other! My best friend and I were pretty much the same person from elementary to high school, but in college we’ve both changed. We’re still besties though! Friendships can go beyond similar interests.

17. Lisa says:

ive had a best friend since I was 6 months old! Shes more like my sister now :) Were at that point where we dont have to talk every single day, and still feel close as ever. and shes like, my exact opposite. So weird!!
    Altho, I DO like a group of friends. The more, the merrier!
    Raw cookie dough balls look so good!! :)

18. I have a ton of friends, but I would say I have two best friends. I can tell them anything and I know they will always be there for me. :)

I remember reading about your bloggin’ meetup with Kelsey! :) Haha, I loved how you guys both wore the “same” thing. :)

19. I love the secret-Santa pre-Easter exchange, LOL. My husband is my best friend and we’re a lot alike, but we’re also worlds apart in other ways. We’re peas + carrots, though. :)

20. I have a best friend who’s been my best friend since we were both three years old (we’ve know each other almost 13 years!!). We feel like and call each others sisters!! We definitely aren’t very similar. She loves soccer, I hate it (sorry to anyone who likes it); I’m vegetarian and very health conscious, she definitely isn’t vegetarian and isn’t exactly healthy either (although maybe I will be able to bring her over to the light side some day 😉 ); I’m really into science, she hates it; and the list goes on… But we still tell each other EVERYTHING and are just like soul mates! :)
    Ahhh.. those cookie dough balls look fabulous!!!!! 😀

21. Well you know how big a fan I am of your cookie dough balls! I have to admit…I made and ate a whole batch yesterday. Ooops! 😛

That’s so SWEET about you and Sarah!! Clearly you ARE twins!! I have a close group of best friends- I love them all! Friends are the BEST, including ones who live thousands of miles away KATIE! 😀

1. Yes, but it would be better if friends didn’t live so far away… or at least if they came from England to visit Texas. Hint hint hint 😉 ;).

22. I have friends who are similar to me and friends who are very different. My BFF is pretty similar, but we definitely have our differences. I wish I had a friend who would make me those cookie dough balls!!:-)

23. Renée says:

I have two best friends, and I dislike groups.
    I wouldn’t say that either of them are very similar to me, but we have just enough common ground to get along and just enough opposing views to keep things interesting :)

By the way, I made Peanut Butter Fudge Babies for my one best friend’s mother and she loves them!

1. Aww yay! I’m so honored :).

24. Disturbed says:

This is so random, but can you please give me the recipe to this:

1. I don’t know it off the top of my head, but I think it was Bryanna Clark Grogan’s agar cheesecake recipe, with pumpkin subbed for the cheesecake. :)

1. Disturbed says:

Okay :)

25. So glad that you have Sarah in your life. When I was younger and before Skylar, I had friends like that.

Now, it’s not so much the friends I have that I can “do everything with” or see frequently just b/c our schedules are hard to sync up and we’re busier than ever, but I definitely have a group of friends that even tho it may be 3 months at a time when we dont see each other (or longer) when we do get together, we pick up right where we left off, and there is no getting up to speed time. It’s immediate. We ‘get’ each other fully.

Such a gift to have friends like that! I just posted about it earlier this week.

The 1st picture..stunning and perfect. Great photography, Katie :)

26. Hela says:

I love my bff to death!! Also, I am very luck to have the most wonderful friends in the world :) Not as many as in the past, but ones, that you can count on!
    What I have learned over the years is that it doesn´t matter in a relationship or friendship, if you like the same kind of music or do have the same taste in clothes. It is about the values and deep interests. And my friends and I do certainly share these values :)
    To come back to my bff, at first sight, we are so the opposite of each other! She is black, I am white (literally WHITE), to start with, and whenever I pick up a dress in a shop, she would just wail and be like “you can´t possibly wear this” and in return, I am not much into the colour brown, which she adores. But as I have said before, when it comes to our interests and values (good food, exercising, being aware what´s going on in the world, knowing about political crisis and stuff like that, being honest with each other, and being able to tell each other EVERYTHING, having goals in life), we could not be more alike.
    Here is a toast to our great friends! We appreciate our friendship!

1. Hahaha I am white too. I actually have a friend who once was lamenting how white she was, and I gave her my arm to compare. She said, “Wow, I feel so much better. I’ve actually found someone whiter than me!”
      One of my friends is from Taiwan, and she always laments how dark she is… so I tell her we should switch ;).

27. In some ways, my friends and I are similar, and in some ways we are total opposites! My two best friends live in different countries or states, and I miss them terribly. I wish I was still in high school sometimes just so I could see them everyday!

28. I have very close friends but we’re all the group hang out kind of people and I love it that way! As for relatedness, we’re all over the place. We’re similar for the most part as in we’re not druggies and that sort of thing..but our personalities range all over. :)

29. Jen says:

I’ve known my best friend since I was four. I can’t imagine my life without her! We’re like sisters as far as our relationship is concerned, but we’re definitely not very alike as people in general. We’re similar in certain ways, but FAR from twins. We have the perfect balance! She’s not a Whole Foods shopper though. I wish I could have YOU as a Whole Foods buddy!

30. Haha! Now I’m thinking about the infamous “jackalope”

There used to be this restaurant that my parents loved to go to when I was little and they had a stuffed rabbit that they fixed up with antlers…it used to scare the crap out of me! It never failed that our table was ALWAYS within sight of that scary little demon critter! I wouldn’t take my eyes off of it the whole time I was at the table!

I have a group of besties…and then I have my blogger besties! I think I have more in common with my blogger friends than I do my real life ones! 😉

31. Jess says:

I have one best friend, and I get to marry him! We’re pretty different and that’s nice because we get to balance each other out :)

32. Brandie says:

*wistful sigh* i have a love hate relationship with EVERYthing chocolate-chip-cookie related! I LOVE to eat it (cooked, baked, raw, balls, cookies, pancakes…..*giggle*), but HATE how it seems to stick to my hips. Hmmpf. lol! But man oh man…. I want to eat some now! Heheh.

As far as bff’s…. I haven’t got one. Currently. My last bff was with me for just shy of 10 years…and then, inexplicably, “broke up with me”. Said some really awful tings and we just suddenyl weren’t friends anymore. That was … almost 4 years ago. Yikes! And now, I have some good friends, but no bff since that episode. I miss having one :(

33. I think its great that you have some one so close to you.

34. VEGirl says:

Loving that horned cow! You look sooo cute in that photo, too!

My relationships with “best” friends always seems to just taper off becuase of growing differences and disagreements. The biggest one coming to mind is the friend I met when I was just two years old! We were inseparable until I moved away when I was seven, then we would drive 7 hours to visit each other at least once a year. But as we became teens we had some disagreements and I just wasn’t having any fun. I have a bit of a feeling it’s kind of over now– though the pain of the loss is big.

Sorry to be so depressing– I kind of feel like crying right now! I tried so hard to be friends with a person who seemed to have changed, but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

1. Aww *hugs* I know how you feel :(. I’ve lost two best friends due to moving away and then growing apart… it’s always sad to remember how close you used to be with someone when you barely speak (or don’t speak at all) anymore.

35. Hahahah! That last part was hilarious!

I love having a large group of friends but when it comes down to it I prefer having one best friend who I can tell everything to.

36. BroccoliHut says:

Most of my friends are exactly like me. My roommate/best friend from last year and I called each other “soul mate” because we are so alike:)

37. I don’t have friends. haha sorry that is the most lame response; it’s just what popped in my head. I don’t have friends that give me larabars! great gift!

38. Hi Katie!
    I don’t have a lot of friends, but the few I do are really special people and play major roles in my life! I used to have a big group of friends (in high school!) but we have all pretty much lost contact… ahh well
    The last part of your post made me laugh 😀

39. Aw, you’re so sweet! That little mention made my day. 😛

Your best friend sounds amazing. I have lots of close friends, but I don’t usually single it down to one best friend. Most of my friends are very much like me! We’re similar in a lot of ways. It’s pretty great. They share my love of health and nutrition, and I’ve actually helped them a lot in that area!

40. I will never turn down a gift of Larabars!!! :)

41. Lyza says:

I have some friends who are similar to me. :) I am a bit reclusive though, so I haven’t hung out with them in forever…also because I get sick a lot. I have found in life that there’s really nobody quite like me, and can feel isolated quite a lot…but I’m sure it’s like that for most people. I’m also picky, which probably doesn’t help.

And larabars are the best gift everrrr!!! :) **jumps in excitement for my package!**

42. I have a lot of casual type friends, but never seem to have a bestie. Which saddens me. I used to have a best mate back in high school, but she decided she didn’t want to be my friend after her ex asked me out – never mind that I said no and would never have even considered going there. Obviously wasn’t the bestie that I thought? I had another best mate from work a few years ago. She stopped hanging out with me after someone supposedly told her I’d said something or other about her. Very hurtful since I don’t do gossip or bitching. As my friend I thought she would have known that I tell someone if I have a problem, or that she would have at least made the effort to ask me about it? Instead she just shut things off with no real explanation. Was really hurtful.

I have hoped to find a new best friend, but so far no luck. I do have trouble with it though lol. I’m a little odd compared to most people and somewhat shy as well. Plus since I’m busy and therefore super organised I’m often told people think I either don’t need friends or that I intimidate them a bit. Which also saddens me as I’m the friendliest and least judging person around!

Never mind. I know I’ll find the perfect bestie eventually:) I do actually have my hubby who is my best mate too so not all doom and gloom – just will be nice when I find a girl friend to do girly stuff with lol. (ps – sorry for the mammoth comment hehehe)

1. No no, don’t be sorry! I love long comments… you sound a lot like me, too! I am always sad when I look back at the friends with whom I used to be close. Three or four of my former best friends and I don’t even speak (just because we grew apart and lead separate lives now, not due to any drama). It’s so sad :(.

43. Tara says:

Some of my friends are just like me, but some are totally different. It’s a nice balance! My best friend and I are totally different in hobbies and strengths and what not, but our personalities are pretty much identical.
    I wish I was your best friend so I got cookie dough balls! My friends and I always forget to give each other gifts. I just got my christmas present from my best friend last week, haha.

1. I wish you were my best friend too! I especially would love a running buddy… well, aside from Henry (my dog)!

44. katie says:

yayyy!!! i’m so happy to be on your blogroll!!

i definitely like hanging out with groups of friends, but one on one time is nice, too.
    also, i’d say my friends are very like me. i love having friends that are different from me, but being able to relate to people is nice!

45. Shea says:

You’re too cute. I love your shirt.

1. I love it too! It’s so soft… LOL I make everyone feel it! (They think I’m nuts.)

1. Shea says:

That’s how I am too! I shop by feel!

46. Debra says:

It all looks so good!
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

47. Lot-O-Choc says:

Ohhh yumm cookie dough overload! Who doesnt love cookie dough! I prefer to have one best friend I think, It hink its always nice to have one main person you can rely on :)

48. Kate says:

I love being able to eat “raw” cookie dough! I just posted a similar recipe…I’m obsessed. Please keep the chocolate inspirartion coming!

49. I definitely have more than one best friend. There’s my hubby, then my best female friend from this state, then my best friends in two other states, respectively. I think your husband should get a best-friend free pass (since it’s obvious he’s your bestie), then you get a few more best friend vouchers. All the better if you get a whole group of them (like 3 or 4) that you love hanging out with one-on-one as much as you do in the larger group. Nothing better!

50. My best friend and I are similar, but she’s much shorter. She says in college I used to “make” her wear heels to go shopping. Haha!
    I’d have to say now that I’m married and have a son, they’ve become my best friends, though. :)

51. Hannah says:

My best friend is my sister, Marissa. She rocks. We live in the same fantasy world, and we both love your chocolate!

That milkshake looks delicious!