Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Candyland Healthy Peppermint Bark

Yes, healthy peppermint bark!

vegan peppermint bark

By far, my favorite holiday candy is my Coconut Butter Candy Melties.

Apparently, everyone else’s favorite holiday candy is peppermint bark. So I figured I’d combine my favorite with everyone else’s favorite to get something we all can love:

peppermint bark

When it’s difficult to keep from eating the whole thing before I can even take a photo, I know a recipe is a success. Staying away from this bark was hard!

healthy peppermint bark

Candyland Healthy Peppermint Bark

• 1/2 cup coconut butter (Cacao butter might work, but I haven’t tried.)
  • 12 drops pure peppermint extract (scant 1/4 tsp), or more if desired
  • 1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup OR stevia drops to taste (I even like it unsweetened, so you can try that too!)
  • optional sprinkles, crushed candy canes, or other garnishes

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. (Make sure to melt your coconut butter into a thick paste first if it’s rock-hard. I like to stick the jar in a warm—not hot—oven for just a few minutes then stir. If your coconut butter refuses to melt into a spreadable paste, you can add a little melted virgin coconut oil to the jar, stir, and it works like a charm!) Spread the mixture onto wax paper, then put it in the fridge or freezer to harden. After just a few minutes in the freezer, it’s become delicious bark!

Chocolate Peppermint Bark: Replace the coconut butter with Homemade Hot Chocolate Butter.

coconut peppermint bark

Do you remember the game Candyland?

My sister and I played that game all the time! That and Shoots-n-Ladders. We especially liked to play with my grandma, and we’d team up against her… But looking back, I’m pretty sure she let us win.

For more coconut recipes: Over 100 Healthy Coconut Butter Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Candyland, shoots & ladders and operation were my 3 absolute favorite games as a kid. I would KILL my brother in Operation 😉
    I love that you made this with coconut butter. I never understood the peppermint bark obsession b/c I think white chocolate is kinda gross. 1. It’s not chocolate and 2. It’s way too sweet!

1. Maya says:

I TOTALLY agree. White chocolate is one of the very few foods I just cannot stand. This sounds so good Katie!

I loved all board games: Clue, Memory, Guess Who, Scattegories…the best was when we played Monopoly. My sister and I were both too nice and felt bad for anyone that had gone bankrupt and gave them a “gift”. Needless to say I’m pretty sure we never finished a game.

1. Haha I agree too! I always hated white chocolate… now I don’t mind in the slightest that it’s not vegan.
        Maya: my sister and I were the opposite! We got so competitive at Monopoly… my poor mom. We’d gang up on her and put hotels everywhere!

2. This bark is so beautiful!

3. Delish! ….I love combining family’s favorites into one amazing teat. That way everyone is a happy camper. Speaking of happy campers- I would be one if I were to eat some of that!

4. such amazingly crisp photos Katie. Well okay you always have amazingly crisp photos. I am digging coconut everything lately, I bet this is sooo decadent!

5. I LOVED the game Candyland growing up. My parents used to own a toy store and when we did radio commercials I remember one of the things I said I loved was Candyland. 🙂

I’ve never tried peppermint bark but you’re the 3rd person to blog about it this season. Maybe I need to see what all the hype is about and give it a try. Mmm

1. I’ve never actually tried real peppermint bark (the white chocolate kind) either! I guess I’ve always been too busy eating the chocolate holiday desserts :).

6. Megan says:

Heck yes! I have been wanting to make peppermint bark and finally, here is a version that I will not feel guilty about eating! This looks so fantastic and festive. And I absolutely played Candyland and Shoots & Ladders. I bet we still have our old version around somewhere. Did you ever play Race to the Roof? I was volunteering last year and played those games with some little kids and was amazed at the fancy new boards they have!

1. I’ve never heard of that one. But I love board games, so I’ll have to check it out!

7. Rachael says:

Candyland was my absolute favorite game! I love this rendition you created and especially love that the base is coconut – since I am trying to stay away from chocolate (we will see how long that lasts). Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes; I have loved each one I try 🙂

8. Sarah the offical CCK drooler says:

These are so pretty! Bet they would make an awesome gift * light bulb moment*. Is the coconut butter supposed to stand in for the traditional white chocolate? If so, why? With all respect, isn’t this a chocolate covered blog ? 🙂 But seriously, it looks like white chocolate. Does it taste like it? Am going to try this after chemistry. Hey… maybe i can convince my mom that this sort of IS a chemistry experiment, ya know liquid to solid and all that junk 🙂 Have a great day!

1. I wanted to do a healthier version… but even more than that, I don’t actually like white chocolate! Never have for some reason lol.

9. Tracy says:

Wow! This looks so fun. Can I make this with regular sugar or powdered sugar maybe instead of agave? Does it stay hard at room temp? Do you store it in the fridge or freezer? Thanks for sharing!

1. I think it would work with regular sugar!

I’m not sure about how long it will stay hard… it depends on the outside air temp. (For example, if your coconut butter is hard at room temp, this probably will stay hard too. But if your coconut butter is liquid from the beginning, it means the outside temp is too hot for this not to melt as well.) I usually store it in the freezer, but fridging it is fine if you’d prefer :).

10. This is so festive and I love it 🙂

11. That is too funny! I was just thinking about making peppermint bark with the homemade cocoa bliss! You brilliant ESP peron, you. 😉

12. Haha I’ve seen bark cropping up all over the place – it’s not my favourite but the creamy looking texture of this one could sway me… 🙂

13. Amanda says:

Oh my WORD! This is gorgeous!
    You have the best blog ever!

14. What an awesome recipe Katie! It look delicious, I’m thinking of maybe making this as a few gifts. Thanks!

15. Looks delicious! You can never go wrong with coconut butter in my opinion.

I loved candyland growing up! I sometimes used to “stack the deck” so that on about my fifth draw, I would get Queen Frostine and be close to the end. Evil, I know.

16. That looks so good! Why do I always read your blog when I”m hungry already?!?!

17. Leslie says:

What a creative idea, to use coconut in place of the white chocolate!
    I love how your mind works, girl.
    And I’m still waiting for that cookbook.
    I’ll be first in line… although I bet I’ll have to fight off quite a few hundred others to get there ;).

1. Leslie says:

Oh, and I loved Candyland as a kid. Haven’t played it in years!

18. Dalai Lina says:

Curious, if you leave it out, does it soften up again? I’m thinking I have to keep it in the freezer to stay hard…xoxo

1. It depends on the outside air temp. (For example, if your coconut butter is hard at room temp, this probably will stay hard too. But if your coconut butter is liquid from the beginning, it means the outside temp is too hot for this not to melt as well.) I usually store it in the freezer, but fridging it is fine if you’d prefer .

19. Holly says:

Would be good with melted chocolate spread over the coconut bark layer, too…. perhaps?