Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Skinny Chocolate Mini Muffins

Skinny Chocolate Mini Muffins

The beauty of mini muffins is that you can have more than one…

Secretly Healthy Chocolate Mini Muffins  Secretly Healthy Chocolate Mini Muffins

Of course “more than one” so often translates into more than two.

Or more than three.

Vegan Mini Muffins

Or more than four.

Chocolate Muffins

Oops Confused smile.

Chocolate Mini Muffins

(makes 22-24)

• 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (65g) (or Bob’s gf plus 1/4 tsp xanthan gum)
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder (15g) (not Dutch)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (90g)
  • handful mini chocolate chips, optional
  • 1/4 cup mayo-style spread (such as Earth Balance, Vegenaise, or even homemade cashew mayo) (58g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (7g)
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp water (95g) OR 1/4 cup carrot juice plus 2 tbsp water

Mini Muffins Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F and grease your mini muffin tins. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients (and chips, if using). Sift very well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until the mayo is completely smooth. Now pour wet into dry and stir until just combined. Immediately pour into the mini muffins pans (2/3 full each) and bake 20 minutes, then let sit 10 minutes. Pop out (go around the edges with a spoon if needed).

Click for: Mini Muffins Nutrition Facts

Chocolate Muffins

Link of the Day:

healthy butterfingers
……..Healthy Butterfingers

Tags: , , ,

1. EVA says:

I guess I will volunteer to be the tester of the gf flour version!

2. becauseHeloves! says:

Is it appropriate to eat all of these…in one sitting? They look amazing! Yuuuuummmy

1. Steph says:

It’s only about 501… go for it and call it a meal 😉

1. Steph says:

504 calories*

I don’t know where on earth that typo came from!

2. becauseHeloves! says:

Hooray! It is appropriate

3. Woah! These look amazing – I love a mini muffin… unfortunately I don’t have a mini muffin pan (yet!) so I will be making these into bigger muffins! yum!

4. These remind me of those little bite sized brownies you can get at costco… those things are amazing. Although I’m guessing these are a lot healthier!

5. Randi says:

What is the mayo-like spread? What if I don’t have any of those – any substitutions? Sour cream or Greek Yogurt or something?

1. Desi says:

I also like to know what this is. Tried to translate it into german but didn’t find a word for it that made any sense… :)

1. Gesa says:

I also live in Germany and just made a batch using Miracel Whip and they are delish! With a little spicy aftertaste, maybe because of the mustard contained in Miracel Whip or I used to much baking soda. Next time I’ll try it using yogurt and maybe an egg (I’m not vegan) but I still like them.

2. mjb says:

I too would like to know the purpose of the mayo :) I’ve never made muffins with that. Is it so that you get oil and egg in a small dose? could you substitute applesauce or yogurt like others suggested? They sound yummy though. I’m happy to have found your blog :) Thank you for sharing!

1. Sorry, I don’t know of a substitute… the mayonnaise takes the place of oil and eggs. But there are many recipes online for cashew mayo if you need a homemade substitute :).

2. Hannah says:

I subsituted traditional plain greek yogurt for the mayo. I also added 1/2 a teaspoon of espresso powder which gives it a richer chocolate flavor. They turned out awesome! I would highly recommend trying it.

6. I can’t think of a better start to a work week than healthy chocolate muffins!

7. Amanda says:

Are these “skinny” because they are so small? It seems like they are only skinny if you limit to eating 2 or 3, right? :)

1. Of course it depends on your own personal dietary needs, but I wouldn’t see a problem with someone eating quite a few of them in one sitting.

8. Stefanie says:

Wow, these look amazing! I need some mini muffin pans…
    Can you make them regular size? How long would they need to bake?

1. Karen w says:

I would like to know the same thing.

1. It will make six, but I don’t know a specific baking time.

9. Chloe says:

Whilst not as healthy as your version, I’ve always loved my Mayonnaise Brownies (recipe here – as a lower fat and slightly less guilt ridden version.

10. Kendra Pogue says:

First off I wanted to say I stumbled across your blog and I love it! I can’t go without sweets and I can’t wait to try some of your recipes. I noticed xylitol was a common factor in your recipes and wondered if you used this when you calculated the nutrition facts.

11. These looks amazing!
    I don’t have or use mayo but I think I’ll replace that with tahini :)
    Think that could work?
    Love your work Hun xx

1. I haven’t tried so I really can’t say for sure.

12. Glow says:

Could I replace the mayo spread with peanut butter or natural almond butter?

1. I don’t know because I haven’t tried. But if you do try, be sure to report back! :)

13. Jess says:

My kids and I made these gf today and they’re so yummy! I didn’t have mayo but I did have Melt Organic Spread that I used instead. The muffins did fall apart a little (probably due to not having the egg part of the egg/oil combo in mayo) but no one seemed to mind. The flavor and texture were great :)

1. Thank you so much for making them!

14. Cara says:

Hey Katie could u use Greek yogurt instead of mayo?

1. Cara says:

Sorry I see you already answered that question 😉

15. Ellen says:

I’m intrigued by the carrot juice as an ingredient!

16. Jessica says:

I just made these! I didn’t have any vegan mayo so I used 1/4 cup greek yogurt instead and dark chocolate cocoa powder. They came out delicious! Thank you Katie

17. Becky says:

First off, I love your recipes and think that you are so innovative. I was looking to make this recipe and trying to figure out the nutrition. I was on and was entering gram measurements but cant seem to find anything that would equate to a low calorie product in the “mayo-style” spread category. The Earth Balance and vegenaise both seem to high??

1. You can use regular Vegenaise (as opposed to the low-fat vegenaise, which isn’t an option listed) and just use half the amount.

18. Steph says:

Haha, mini muffins are so cute… but so addicting, especially if you can fit one whole one in your mouth at once (I have a pretty big mouth) :)

19. Thanks for this recipe, Katy! I threw in a little coconut too~~I’ve had about five–no, maybe six already…:)

20. Yum! I love that these are healthy and mini… just means you can eat so many more of them totally guilt free!! :-) xx

21. Katy says:

Mini muffins are totally dangerous for me, I find them so highly poppable that I just keep popping them into my mouth! Delishhh.

22. Mmmmmm. These look SO good. And I’m pretty sure I have all the ingredients in my kitchen right now. And I really want to make these….. I would say temptation but these seems pretty sin-free!

23. Mercy says:

I just made these this evening using a gluten free flour mix and also added in a bit of protein powder. They turned out delicious and disappeared quickly! Thanks for the recipe!

24. Amanda says:

Very yummy! But I found these aren’t at all healthy if you use regular sugar and mayo :-( I halved the recipe and it only made 2 normal sized muffins, and they were 537 calories! Does fake sugar have no calories? If I had made the whole thing it would have been 1075 calories, where yours only adds up to 480 for the whole thing. I’m confused!

1. Jessica says:

Xylitol is indeed calorie free, I personally use truvia baking blend most of the time, it has 75% less calories than sugar and it’s also natural. Hope this helps.

1. Jessica says:

Sorry, I made a derp, xylitol isn’t calorie free, but lw\ower in calorie than real sugar.

25. What, only 21 calories per muffin?! I don’t know how you do it! (To be fair, I’d probably eat ten in one sitting… haha!)

26. These look really yummy and I love that they are a healthy version. My family loves chocolate muffins, so I’m sure they will really be into these!

27. Kristin Flippen says:

Katie, I have loved exploring your recipes since I have gone gluten-free. I appreciate all of the work that goes into the nutrition facts, but I am curious, when you give a sugar/sugar-free option in the recipe, which one of these is used in the calorie count?

28. I love mini muffins–so cute! These look great, I’ll take anything with a chocolate chip baked in :)

29. Katie, I’m back again. I just wanted to say that I use my Glasslock salad dressing mixing jar with the snap lid to mix the mayo and the water. Works like a charm! (Second batch in oven now. Added a few pecans, coconut, and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to replace a 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Guess I just bumped up the calories a little :)
    Thanks for the fast, easy, no need to drag out the Kitchen Aid recipe!

30. Beth says:

got these baking in the oven now 😀

31. Bailey says:

Made them to go with my coffee! Yum!

32. These look delish! Thank you for providing GF option to this recipe. Looking forward to trying it soon!

33. Megan says:

These look amazing! Will make a batch this weekend.

Side note: I think it’s hilarious the ad at the top of your page is for reg. chocolate milk – silly advertisers/media buyers!

34. anya says:

Katie, these were fabulous!! I didn’t have vegenaise or any mayo like spread so I used FF Sour Cream and doubled the xylitol- Guess what?! AMAZING. My five year old son had no idea these were skinny! I made him a chocolate sundae with warm chocolate skinny mini muffins topped with ice cream and whipped cream.

35. Jessica says:

I don’t have spelt flour or mayo on hand so I used a 50/50 blend of white whole wheat and unbleached ap flour. For the mayo I used 2% fat greek yogurt and an egg yolk (i’m not vegan, but I still love your recipes ^.^). Instead of water I used almond milk, they turned out fantastic. On the side I made pb cream cheese w/ powdered peanut butter, yum yum.

36. Kathryn says:

I made these and they are DEE-LICIOUS!! A little crispy on the outside, fluffy and rich cocoa-y on the inside.

The only thing is the nutrition info… I came up with a way different number (which I had to figure since I’d eaten 6 in a sitting, plus two chocolate chip cookies from your other recipe….). I estimate 45 calories each, as below:
    AP flour: 290
    sugar: 386
    cocoa: 36
    olive oil mayo (lite): 180
    1/4 cup mini choc chips: 207
    Divided by 24 muffins, that is about 45 cals each.

37. Leah says:

I made these with greek yogurt instead of mayo and they turned out great! I also liked that it would have more protein in it for breakfast. My kids LOVE these, thank you for this super easy recipe.

38. Barb says:

They were perfect with Bob’s Red mill flour mixture. I also subbed Greek yogurt thinned with some water for the water to add more protein.

39. Casey says:

I used whole wheat flour and coconut yogurt and they came out more fluffy and cake-like than a muffin texture, but they are delicious!

40. Carole says:

Seriously yummy. I used a handful of Andies Candies in the batter, then sprinkled more Andies in top after baking. A smear with a spoon, and they were glazed. (They worked fine with olive oil mayonnaise.)

41. Rebekah says:

I just made these with greek yogurt instead of Mayo (needed to get rid of the yogurt) and made them big with a little dollop of raspberry jam on top (inspired by your awesome lava cake). They are seriously a beautiful thing! Thank-you!

42. Rebekah says:

I just made these with greek yogurt instead of Mayo (needed to get rid of the yogurt) and made them big with a little dollop of raspberry jam on top. They are seriously a beautiful thing! Thank-you!

43. Adrienne says:

Yummy! I substituted silken tofu for the vegan mayo, and used almond milk in place of the water and they came out great!

44. Ally says:

The first time I made these mini muffins, they were delicious, but I was slightly sad because when I took them out of the pan, they completely fell apart. I had used a muffin pan without liners, and just greased the pan, so I decided to get the liners and try a second time. The second time, even after using the liners, the same exact thing happened. The muffins completely fell apart. Do you have any suggestions to help? Thanks! :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You just need to wait 15-20 minutes at least before removing them from the pans after taking them from the oven. Then they won’t fall apart :-)

45. Renu says:

Hi Katie..

I am from India, Can you please explain what is mayo-style spread? we don’t get it here by this name, please tell me any substitute or if you can just tell me what is it made of?

Thanks dear.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

1. Renu says:

Oh Mayonnaise…Thanks!!

46. Renu says:

Hi Katie,

I am from India, Can you please tell me what is mayo-style spread ? what is it made of..
    any substitute?

47. Destiny says:

I really love these, however, I didn’t have some ingredients. So my question is how can I find the nutritional facts when I change the recipe? I didn’t use chips, used reg ap flour, and plain old miracle whip… My 2 year old wants them all day and night so I need to know if they are still “healthy muffins” or just dessert? Thank you so much for your site.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Use Calorie Count’s nutrition generator to plug ingredients in and find your total.

48. Jessica L. W. says:

Why can’t the cocoa powder be Dutch?

49. Jiapei says:

Hello, is it appropriate to use whole wheat flour?

50. Lorri says:

Hi Katie. I just found your website and LOVE it!! Is there any way to make the chocolate muffins with GF flour & no xanthan gum? My daughter has corn, soy, gluten, and other allergies, and most xanthan gum is grown with/on corn. thanks in advance

1. I haven’t tried with this recipe, but in other recipes I’ve had success leaving the xanthan gum out completely when using Bob’s gf flour. So you can always experiment!

51. Jannah says:

These tasted so good!! I followed the exact recipe using vegenaise. In fact all the recipes I’ve tried from you taste delicious! Thanks a lot !!:)

52. Jannah says:

I made your black bean brownies last week. I couldn’t believe how good they were!

53. Manasa says:

This is a fabulous recipe Katie, with very clever ingredient replacement! Katie. I also substituted the sugar with honey and it still came out perfectly. Now I just need to buy that mini muffin tin for next time!

54. speakerofthehaus says:

These are awesome holy gosh! I added semi sweet chocolate chip too it, thinking it might be dry without oil or eggs, but no, they were very moist and didn’t need extra chocolate to fudgeyy it up. Will make again, and again, next time, no extra chocolate to keep it “lighter” lol! Thanks Katie

55. Debbie says:

Would I be able to modify the recipe by subbing coconut or almond flour? I’m limited on my flour options right per doctor’s orders. Also do you think I could use coconut oil or butter in lieu of the mayo spread? I’m in dire need of a chocolate fix and these look so good!