Skinny Chocolate Mini Muffins

Skinny Chocolate Mini Muffins http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/01/13/skinny-chocolate-mini-muffins/

The beauty of mini muffins is that you can have more than one…

Secretly Healthy Chocolate Mini Muffins  Secretly Healthy Chocolate Mini Muffins

Of course “more than one” so often translates into more than two.

Or more than three.

Vegan Mini Muffins

Or more than four.

Chocolate Muffins

Oops Confused smile.

Chocolate Mini Muffins

(makes 22-24)

• 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (65g) (or Bob’s gf plus 1/4 tsp xanthan gum)
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder (15g) (not Dutch)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (90g)
  • handful mini chocolate chips, optional
  • 1/4 cup mayo-style spread (such as Earth Balance, Vegenaise, or even homemade cashew mayo) (58g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (7g)
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp water (95g) OR 1/4 cup carrot juice plus 2 tbsp water

Mini Muffins Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F and grease your mini muffin tins. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients (and chips, if using). Sift very well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until the mayo is completely smooth. Now pour wet into dry and stir until just combined. Immediately pour into the mini muffins pans (2/3 full each) and bake 20 minutes, then let sit 10 minutes. Pop out (go around the edges with a spoon if needed).

Click for: Mini Muffins Nutrition Facts

Chocolate Muffins

Link of the Day:

healthy butterfingers
……..Healthy Butterfingers

Tags: , , ,

1. EVA says:

I guess I will volunteer to be the tester of the gf flour version!

2. becauseHeloves! says:

Is it appropriate to eat all of these…in one sitting? They look amazing! Yuuuuummmy

1. Steph says:

It’s only about 501… go for it and call it a meal 😉

1. Steph says:

504 calories*

I don’t know where on earth that typo came from!

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Hooray! It is appropriate

3. Woah! These look amazing – I love a mini muffin… unfortunately I don’t have a mini muffin pan (yet!) so I will be making these into bigger muffins! yum!

4. These remind me of those little bite sized brownies you can get at costco… those things are amazing. Although I’m guessing these are a lot healthier!

5. Randi says:

What is the mayo-like spread? What if I don’t have any of those – any substitutions? Sour cream or Greek Yogurt or something?

1. Desi says:

I also like to know what this is. Tried to translate it into german but didn’t find a word for it that made any sense… 🙂

1. Gesa says:

I also live in Germany and just made a batch using Miracel Whip and they are delish! With a little spicy aftertaste, maybe because of the mustard contained in Miracel Whip or I used to much baking soda. Next time I’ll try it using yogurt and maybe an egg (I’m not vegan) but I still like them.

2. mjb says:

I too would like to know the purpose of the mayo 🙂 I’ve never made muffins with that. Is it so that you get oil and egg in a small dose? could you substitute applesauce or yogurt like others suggested? They sound yummy though. I’m happy to have found your blog 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

1. Sorry, I don’t know of a substitute… the mayonnaise takes the place of oil and eggs. But there are many recipes online for cashew mayo if you need a homemade substitute :).

1. Hannah says:

I subsituted traditional plain greek yogurt for the mayo. I also added 1/2 a teaspoon of espresso powder which gives it a richer chocolate flavor. They turned out awesome! I would highly recommend trying it.

6. I can’t think of a better start to a work week than healthy chocolate muffins!

7. Amanda says:

Are these “skinny” because they are so small? It seems like they are only skinny if you limit to eating 2 or 3, right? 🙂

1. Of course it depends on your own personal dietary needs, but I wouldn’t see a problem with someone eating quite a few of them in one sitting.

8. Stefanie says:

Wow, these look amazing! I need some mini muffin pans…
    Can you make them regular size? How long would they need to bake?

1. Karen w says:

I would like to know the same thing.

1. It will make six, but I don’t know a specific baking time.

9. Chloe says:

Whilst not as healthy as your version, I’ve always loved my Mayonnaise Brownies (recipe here – http://ninegrandstudent.wordpress.com/2013/11/19/student-baking-mayonnaise-brownies/) as a lower fat and slightly less guilt ridden version.

10. Kendra Pogue says:

First off I wanted to say I stumbled across your blog and I love it! I can’t go without sweets and I can’t wait to try some of your recipes. I noticed xylitol was a common factor in your recipes and wondered if you used this when you calculated the nutrition facts.

11. These looks amazing!
    I don’t have or use mayo but I think I’ll replace that with tahini 🙂
    Think that could work?
    Love your work Hun xx

1. I haven’t tried so I really can’t say for sure.

12. Glow says:

Could I replace the mayo spread with peanut butter or natural almond butter?

1. I don’t know because I haven’t tried. But if you do try, be sure to report back! 🙂

13. Jess says:

My kids and I made these gf today and they’re so yummy! I didn’t have mayo but I did have Melt Organic Spread that I used instead. The muffins did fall apart a little (probably due to not having the egg part of the egg/oil combo in mayo) but no one seemed to mind. The flavor and texture were great 🙂

1. Thank you so much for making them!

14. Cara says:

Hey Katie could u use Greek yogurt instead of mayo?

1. Cara says:

Sorry I see you already answered that question 😉

15. Ellen says:

I’m intrigued by the carrot juice as an ingredient!

16. Jessica says:

I just made these! I didn’t have any vegan mayo so I used 1/4 cup greek yogurt instead and dark chocolate cocoa powder. They came out delicious! Thank you Katie

17. Becky says:

First off, I love your recipes and think that you are so innovative. I was looking to make this recipe and trying to figure out the nutrition. I was on caloriecount.com and was entering gram measurements but cant seem to find anything that would equate to a low calorie product in the “mayo-style” spread category. The Earth Balance and vegenaise both seem to high??

1. You can use regular Vegenaise (as opposed to the low-fat vegenaise, which isn’t an option listed) and just use half the amount.

18. Steph says:

Haha, mini muffins are so cute… but so addicting, especially if you can fit one whole one in your mouth at once (I have a pretty big mouth) 🙂

19. Thanks for this recipe, Katy! I threw in a little coconut too~~I’ve had about five–no, maybe six already…:)

20. Yum! I love that these are healthy and mini… just means you can eat so many more of them totally guilt free!! 🙂 xx