How to Cook Kale

Every now and then, someone finds this site while google searching for “how to cook kale.”

How to cook kale (the easy way) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/02/19/cook-kale/ @choccoveredkt

How to cook kale?

It’s incredibly easy! I make the following recipe at least every other week (sometimes substituting other greens for the kale), and it’s probably one of the simplest things you’ll ever try. Yet at the same time, the recipe tastes like something you’d find at a fancy, expensive restaurants. Others will be impressed with your cooking skills, never knowing all you used to make the dish were a few simple ingredients and a sauté pan.

And although it’s true some people say kale is over-hyped, you’ll never hear this from me. Kale’s nutritional profile reads like a who’s-who of vitamins (Beta carotene! Vitamin C! Vitamin K! Lutein! Fiber!), and you can turn the versatile veggie into chips, sneak it in smoothies, or even make Kale Brownies.

Remember the kale brownies? 😉

How to cook kale

Or you can go for the traditional option…

How To Cook Kale

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/54

Ingredients

• 10 oz raw kale leaves (or two 5-oz packages), or raw greens of choice
  • 1 cup raw onion, diced
  • 1 tsp garlic powder, or minced garlic to taste
  • salt to taste (I use about 1/4 tsp)
  • oil or oil spray of choice

Instructions

How to cook kale: In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the onion and minced garlic (if using) in the oil (or oil spray, but keep in mind that kale’s vitamins are more optimally absorbed when fat is added) until the onion begins to turn brown. Stir. Add the kale, or as much of it as will fit in the pan. Let cook until it wilts enough to stir, then add the rest of the kale as soon as you can. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. When the kale looks wilted and onions are nicely browned, turn off the heat. Season with garlic powder and salt to taste. Feel free to add any other spices if desired, such as chili powder or ground ginger. You can also stir in a little sesame oil and a sprinkle of sesame seeds at this time. Yields about 2 cups (440g).

*View How to Cook Kale Nutrition Facts*

Question of the Day:

Do you like kale? What’s your favorite way to eat it?

I know a lot of people are really big into the green smoothies (especially on instagram… wow there are a lot of green smoothies posted to instagram!). My favorite way to eat kale, however, is definitely when it’s sautéed with onions and garlic. P.S. all of the photos in this “how to make kale” post were taken with an iphone!

Link Of The Day:

banana bread

Flourless Banana Bread

Tags: , , , ,

1. Bre & Ree says:

I absolutely love kale, but only recently discovered it a couple years ago. My paleo friends would have it every morning with eggs, so finally I gave it a shot. It’s amazing and, as you said, so easy to make. I usually use it in smoothies or sauté it just as you did, but I’ve been itching to try the kale chips as well. Soon perhaps! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will definitely add it to my list.
    ~Bre

2. Nikki says:

How long does cooked kale as in this recipe stay fresh in your fridge?

3. I love kale! I’ve done a variety of flavors and combining it with other vegetables before but haven’t tried onions yet, for some reason. Thanks for the great idea! :)

4. Hollie says:

Kale and spinach are my two favorite greens. I always cook them with garlic or onions. It’s perfect.

5. I like kale chopped finely and mixed in with warm quinoa so it just barely wilts. I could eat that salad for every meal, honestly!

6. EVA says:

LEST WE FORGET THE KALE BROWNIES

My college makes a mean sautéed sesame kale, which I get in bucketloads every time they serve it. I’m pretty sure it’s the exact way you prepare it, sans the garlic. If I could eat garlic I’d definitely add some in because it sounds like a great addition. I don’t see the big craze with it though. I think it’s more of a “because it’s good for you” trend over it’s actual taste. It IS great when you add lots o’ spices and such, but I have a REAL hard time choking it down raw.

1. EVA says:

Also, I agree. You just can’t use oil spray for something like this. No fat no flavor, and dats the troof.

7. I love to just toss some kale and coconut oil in a pan and sautee it, delish!

8. Tammela says:

I love kale, and have a similar recipe to yours that I also make pretty much every week without fail:

9. I love making Kale chips! I spray them with some coconut oil, add a little s&p and pop them in the oven for barely 10 minutes!

10. I love cooking kale like this and always l-o-v-e kale chips! yumm!!

11. Jennifer says:

How much dehydrated onion would you say to use?

12. Jaime says:

Very similar to my go-to recipe! I use fresh garlic because I have the patience for it – and I usually spritz some lemon on top. If I’m feeling fancy, a handful of golden raisins and toasted almonds goes a looong way!

13. Megan says:

I like kale but I always add it to other stuff, but this would be great as a stand alone!

14. Michelle says:

I’m one of the people who has (shamefully) googled this. I used your recipe tonight with spinach, along with carrots, celery, and some red bell pepper. So good. Thanks for babying us newbies through something so basic, haha.

15. Christine says:

Kale chips are the best, but I could eat it in any shape or form. I’m curious about the type of kale you used for these pictures; it looks a lot like spinach!

16. laura says:

vegan kale ‘Caesar’ salad using nutritional yeast for parmesan and tempeh strips for bacon is my favourite you have to massage the leaves for quite awhile to soften but tastes delicious.

1. Pamanista says:

OOh, Kale ceasar sounds good! I love to make a big bowl of cleaned, cut kale and then massage olive oil and lemon juice. Over the next couple of days, I add whatever leftover veggies or topping I have on hand. Walnuts and Apples are always a hit with my kid. I like mushrooms and red onions.
      Thanks for the post, Katie!

17. Kayla says:

I love exploring your blog every day. I have never commented, but I want to thank you for all of your inspiration and for helping to convince everybody how delicious vegan food is. I happened to come on upon your VGP interview on lunchbox.com today. You mentioned your “pre-run snack” and I was wondering if you started running again. I know a lot of people really connected to your effort to listen to your body and give it a break from running. Maybe the interview was done a while ago.

1. Michelle says:

Yeah, the interview was done a while ago. In the post, Kathy apologizes for the late posting of the interview saying, “I have been meaning to post their two amazing interviews for months now and I am so happy I am finally doing it.” Hope that helps!

18. Mischelle says:

I’ve always love it steamed with a drizzle of rice bran oil and salt flakes :)

19. Thanks for a great recipe. We made these last night, and they were perfect!

20. Candace says:

This looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it!
    My favorite way to eat kale (so far) is actually in salads. I massage the kale with salt until it changes consistency, then top it with tomatoes, onions, walnuts, mushrooms, or whatever I happen to have on hand.
    Green smoothies are pretty good, too, though I haven’t tried your brownies yet.