Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

A delicious homemade & healthy Starbucks Frappuccino – without ever leaving your kitchen!

Make your own Starbucks Frappuccinos at home, with this easy step-by-step recipe! Healthier, cheaper, much less sugar, and you don't even need to leave your pajamas!!! Full recipe---> http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/01/healthy-starbucks-frappuccinos/

Starbucks is everywhere.

They are taking over the world with their muffins, their macchiatos, their passion teas… And, of course, their signature coffee Frappuccinos.

Here’s a scary fact: one Starbucks Frappuccino contains 50 grams of sugar. That’s more than twice the recommended intake for an entire day. The number is higher for a venti, and it doesn’t even include whipped cream. (According to the Starbucks website, even their lite Frappuccino somehow contains 23g of sugar.) They’re also $4 for one drink!

So here is an incredibly realistic copycat healthy Starbucks Frappuccino recipe that is both cheaper and much better for you:

starbucks vegan

Healthy Starbucks Frappuccino

I don’t mean to imply that it’s a sinful thing to drink a Frappuccino once in a while. I simply wanted to give out a healthier—and cheaper—alternative in case anyone is interested in a lower-sugar, homemade and healthy Frappuccino recipe.

Even if you do try my recipe, it certainly doesn’t mean you are never allowed to indulge in a real Frappuccino ever again… although you might not want to; all of my testers said this healthy Frappuccino recipe was just as good as the real thing!

Have you ever had a Frappuccino?

I’ve never been one of those people who has to have a cup of coffee in the morning. But when I was in college at Bryn Mawr, my friends and I’d often walk to Starbucks after class. So I got in the habit of ordering iced coffee… until I realized the caffeine was making it hard for me to fall asleep.

P.S. Don’t forget to try out this pumpkin version.

homemade-Frappuccino.jpg

EASY Homemade Frappuccino Recipe - Ingredients: 2 cups milk of choice, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, pinch salt, 1/4 cup... Full recipe >> http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/01/healthy-starbucks-frappuccinos/ @choccoveredkt
The best part is that these healthy Frappuccinos do not taste healthy at all!

pin-it

Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/51

Ingredients

• 2 cups milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules (I use Mt. Hagen decaf or regular)
  • 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • sweetener of choice, such as uncut stevia or 2-3 tbsp sugar
  • optional: a reader suggested adding 1-2 tsp fruit pectin for even extra thickness
Total Time: 5m
Yield: Makes 2 large Healthy Frappuccinos

Instructions

Homemade Starbucks Frappuccino recipe: Mix the ingredients together in 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. (You could also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the containers. Thaw until just soft enough for your blender to be able to handle it. Blend each serving individually, until desired slushiness is reached. Add extra sweetener if needed, but do NOT add ice! It will dilute the flavor. Pour into two glasses and enjoy. Feel free to add cocoa, cinnamon, berries, chai, banana, or other flavors if you wish to your healthy Starbucks Frappuccino. And don’t forget to leave a review if you try it!

View Nutrition Facts

Also, I calculated that this recipe makes eight drinks for the price of about $3!

Link Of The Day:

overnight-oats-in-a-jar.jpg

Overnight Oats – 5 NEW Recipes

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Oh yum! Frap’s are so refreshing in the heat of the summer! And a healthier version is awesome, because then one can enjoy as many as they like 🙂

2. I love coffee flavoured stuff– from bread to ice-cream EVERYTHING except coffee itself which my mum doesn’t allow me to drink (she’s afraid I’ll get addicted). But this Frappuccino sounds amazing! I’ve never had anything from Starbucks before can you believe it?! Simply because its expensive actually. They cost the equivalent of 2 regular sized meals in S’pore. I’m so going to try this… when mum’s not around… 😀 Ssshhh

1. kerragh says:

Thank you for emphasizing the importance of not omitting the salt. Most people don’t realize that salt can actually sweeten foods and in the case of cocoa, it removes the bitterness making for a smooth cup 🙂

3. I love Starbucks coffee but it is pretty high-priced. That’s why I usually only get it when I am on vacation and stuff. Their “Java Chip Frappuccino” is my favorite! Chocolate and coffee is almost as good as chocolate and peanut butter! 😉

4. Awesome idea and it looks delicious! Starbucks is wonderful for the taste buds but not so wonderful for the wallet or blood sugar levels!

5. I LOVE them!!! (only get to drink them about once every three or four months) I wish I lived closer to a Starbucks but then again, it makes it easy to stay away when I have to drive 70 miles’ish to get to one….. I LOVE making them at home. I’m going to give this a try when I get back from vacation (where I will probably have one or two of the real deal…)

6. One of the reasons I’ve stopped drinking Frappauccinos – is the ridiculous amount of sugar in them! I love that you healthified it… I will try it soon because I miss that delicious treat!

7. You have amazing timing! I was just trying to figure out how to make my own yesterday after craving one for daaays, I’m way too addicted! Have just put the ingredients in the freezer, literally can’t wait to blend it up. Was just wondering what the purpose of the salt is?

1. A little salt brings out the flavor. I pretty much put a pinch in all my dessert recipes! 🙂

1. Brandy says:

Hi Katy! I love this recipe and will try it tomorrow! But I was wondering what type of milk chocolate you used? (sweetend, unsweetend, bar???) Thanks!

1. LOL but there’s no chocolate in the recipe ;).

1. Kathleen says:

Maybe she means the chocolate drizzled over the top of the frappuccino?

8. Jenny says:

I hope I’m right when I say that, well, I don’t think I’m the only one who doesn’t like coffee… I have met a few others who don’t. Any other commenters out there with me on that?! I have tried it on a couple of occasions, and, honestly, I LOVE the smell of coffee… You’d think that since the senses of smell and taste are linked that I’d like the taste too, but I can’t stand it! I’m a tea-lover, and probably always will be. Love my green tea in all forms (bancha, matcha, genmaicha, sencha…), rooibos, and green tea.

I’ve had the green tea frappucino from Starbucks. That was my one and only Starbucks purchase, and it wasn’t even me buying it, actually. It was also my first and last Starbucks, ever. I’m not the only one that doesn’t like coffee, I think, but I’ll probably be the only one who DOESN’T like Starbucks. I have a longstanding grudge against them for closing down my one favourite ice cream store in Vancouver and taking over the location, despite that ice cream store being extremely profitable and despite the fact that there is another Starbucks RIGHT on the opposite corner of the street, and four more Starbucks within six blocks. Jerks. Hmmph.

Perhaps I will modify your frappuccino recipe and try to make a green tea one… I’m sure this will be super tasty to those that like coffee, though!

1. Sam says:

Definitely not the only one who doesn’t like Starbucks (and it seems a fairly common sentiment ’round where I live).

2. Rachel says:

Agree on not liking Starbucks. Why pay so much for crappy coffee, when there are locally owned coffee shops that serve much, much better coffee? At least that’s the case where I live. 🙂

1. So true, and you get to support a local, small business!

2. Shelley says:

I wish we had more local coffee places that had better coffee than Starbucks! I’d love to support local businesses, but for some reason we have a lot of crappy coffee shops, and it makes me leery about going in one b/c I don’t want to risk not liking what I get.

1. Cakes501 says:

I truly luv Starbucks, but only have it once in while.

3. Patrice says:

You’re definitely not the only one who hates starbucks. I did for the longest time, because being a coffee and chicory drinker from essentially birth, starbucks reminded me of “that crappy free coffee everywhere has,” as my 13-year-old self put it.
      I’ve acquired the taste in college, but i still have to drink the sweetest flavors on the menu to balance out that nasty bitterness all starbucks inherently has. Hey! that’s probably why all their drinks have so much sugar, to mask that weird bitterness.
      I wish there was a small local coffee shop i could support, but my favorite closed down and nothing else is the same. My favorite “local” shop now is a good 30-45 minute drive from home.
      I just use my own frappuccino maker now, and my own concoctions are STILL half the calories of Starbucks’.

1. I know this thread is a few months old, but I just stumbled across it and thought I’d offer my two cents. I just started working at Starbucks this summer and it’s been a very eye-opening experience! I enjoy the job, mostly because it’s fun to talk to the customers and make all the different kinds of drinks. However, I can’t drink any of the drip coffee; I can swallow the dark roasts if I add a generous amount of coconut milk creamer (haha!), but other than that, I think it all tastes weirdly bitter. What’s interesting, I think, is that Sbux gets their coffee beans from reputable countries (Kenya, Indonesia, Brazil, etc.) as far as coffee crops go, but it still tastes so much worse than other brands that get their beans from the same places! And as for all the sugar-laden superdrinks, even something like a “skinny” vanilla latte is still about 150 calories for a grande (medium size)! It’s a little over-the-top, for sure, but like other people have mentioned, it’s okay to indulge every once in a while. The pastries, though… eek. Don’t even get me started on how unhealthy those are! Fortunately for me (temptation-wise), the only vegan items are the plain and multigrain bagels, so I don’t have to worry about eating anything else in the store. 😉

Oh, and the green tea frappuccinos don’t have any coffee in them. Or they shouldn’t, if they’re made correctly. If you want to try an at-home version, they’re just made with matcha powder, your choice of milk, classic syrup (which is just Simple Syrup — any liquid sweetener would work), Sbux Creme Base (more sweetener, basically), and ice. 🙂

4. Cindy says:

worst coffee EVER!!! Ha! Thought it was just me!

9. Missy says:

Awesome! Before I was health-conscience, I used to drink one of the grocery store ones each day. I was astounded when the realization hit as to what I was putting into my body. Thanks so much for this as I can indulge without guilt.

10. Lauren W says:

I want to be one of your testers! 😀

11. Laura says:

So excited you can make this without a vita mix! I’ll be getting some instant coffee, and them I’m making this baby ASAP!

12. Leslie says:

Oh yes, when Starbucks introduced vegan frapps, I knew it was bad news for my waistline AND my wallet! So excited to try your version, Miss Katie. An d by the way, the photos look FABULOUS! 🙂

13. frappuccinos used to be one of my biggest weaknesses! I love coffee, and have a hard time going a day without it. I know it’s not the healthiest of things, but I limit it to one cup a day, and always cut the acid with some soy milk or something. I rarely make my own coffee drinks, though, but I may just have to give this one a try!

14. VeggieGirl says:

Oh yes, I used to LOVE the chocolate brownie Frappuccino at Starbucks. I love your version better 🙂

15. You are brilliant. Oh and thanks for permission for the occasional Starbucks treat 😛 I kid, I used to love their frappuccinos and switched to the sugar free versions b/c the originals were so sweet. Then I realized they used Splenda which I don’t like to use AT ALL. Thanks for the alternative lady!

16. Tanya says:

Haha! Yes, pre vegan days….one summer, while in NYC, I got hooked on the Mint Choc Chip Frappuccinos (Frappuccini??)!! They were so good. Haven’t had one in a while….I LOVE coffee but try to make at home most of the time.

17. I do love coffee, and I’m okay with my addiction because, well I love it! It’s such a routine for me, to enjoy a cup with some cream in the morning while browsing blogs and emails. But I’ve never been one for any of those other coffee drinks, they’ve always upset my stomach way too much. This version looks divine, and I’ve been meaning to give instant coffee a try because its so darn quick!

18. Is that a soy whip cream on top? looks delicious and just wondering…

1. CCK says:

Yes ma’am! Soyatoo 🙂

19. Alyssa says:

I know you can’t see me, but I am currently prostrate on the floor, worshipping you.
    Which makes it kinda hard to type…

I NEVER drank coffee until grad school. A Starbucks opened down the street form my apartment, and with my crazy schedule I started mainlining caffeine just to get through the day (and night). But I recently stopped drinking Frappuccinos because of all the sugar.
    And now I CAN HAVE THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!!!Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!!
    Mwah! Mwahmwahmwahmwahmwah!

1. Hahahahaa this made me laugh so much. I really hope you like this version!!

2. Christy S. Lube says:

I’m thinkin you might need slightly less caffeine than you think you need! LOL
      (I kid, I kid!)

20. I was a full blown Starbucks addict until I learned how to make cold pressed coffee concentrate. Happy to report I haven’t been to Starbucks in over two weeks and enjoying the savings! You should try the concentrate – it is a little more time intensive to make initially, but the flavor is amazing. There’s a recipe for it, and a long list of drinks you can make with it, on my blog 🙂