Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

A delicious homemade & healthy Starbucks Frappuccino – without ever leaving your kitchen!

Make your own Starbucks Frappuccinos at home, with this easy step-by-step recipe! Healthier, cheaper, much less sugar, and you don't even need to leave your pajamas!!! Full recipe---> http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/01/healthy-starbucks-frappuccinos/

Starbucks is everywhere.

They are taking over the world with their muffins, their macchiatos, their passion teas… And, of course, their signature coffee Frappuccinos.

Here’s a scary fact: one Starbucks Frappuccino contains 50 grams of sugar. That’s more than twice the recommended intake for an entire day. The number is higher for a venti, and it doesn’t even include whipped cream. (According to the Starbucks website, even their lite Frappuccino somehow contains 23g of sugar.) They’re also $4 for one drink!

So here is an incredibly realistic copycat healthy Starbucks Frappuccino recipe that is both cheaper and much better for you:

starbucks vegan

Healthy Starbucks Frappuccino

I don’t mean to imply that it’s a sinful thing to drink a Frappuccino once in a while. I simply wanted to give out a healthier—and cheaper—alternative in case anyone is interested in a lower-sugar, homemade and healthy Frappuccino recipe.

Even if you do try my recipe, it certainly doesn’t mean you are never allowed to indulge in a real Frappuccino ever again… although you might not want to; all of my testers said this healthy Frappuccino recipe was just as good as the real thing!

Have you ever had a Frappuccino?

I’ve never been one of those people who has to have a cup of coffee in the morning. But when I was in college at Bryn Mawr, my friends and I’d often walk to Starbucks after class. So I got in the habit of ordering iced coffee… until I realized the caffeine was making it hard for me to fall asleep.

P.S. Don’t forget to try out this pumpkin version.

homemade-Frappuccino.jpg

EASY Homemade Frappuccino Recipe - Ingredients: 2 cups milk of choice, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, pinch salt, 1/4 cup... Full recipe >> http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/01/healthy-starbucks-frappuccinos/ @choccoveredkt
The best part is that these healthy Frappuccinos do not taste healthy at all!

pin-it

Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 2 cups milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules (I use Mt. Hagen decaf or regular)
  • 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • sweetener of choice, such as uncut stevia or 2-3 tbsp sugar
  • optional: a reader suggested adding 1-2 tsp fruit pectin for even extra thickness
Total Time: 5m
Yield: Makes 2 large Healthy Frappuccinos

Instructions

Homemade Starbucks Frappuccino recipe: Mix the ingredients together in 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. (You could also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the containers. Thaw until just soft enough for your blender to be able to handle it. Blend each serving individually, until desired slushiness is reached. Add extra sweetener if needed, but do NOT add ice! It will dilute the flavor. Pour into two glasses and enjoy. Feel free to add cocoa, cinnamon, berries, chai, banana, or other flavors if you wish to your healthy Starbucks Frappuccino. And don’t forget to leave a review if you try it!

View Nutrition Facts

Also, I calculated that this recipe makes eight drinks for the price of about $3!

Link Of The Day:

overnight-oats-in-a-jar.jpg

Overnight Oats – 5 NEW Recipes

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Frappucinos were how I started drinking coffee… now I drink it black and my doctor has serious conversations with me about my stomach lining. So I guess I can legitimately say that Starbucks is a gateway drug.

1. Faith @ For the Health of It says:

Hahahaha same here! Frappucinos are just one step away from the hard stuff 😉

2. Mmmm this looks good! Starbucks fraps are sickeningly sweet so this looks like a better alternative!

3. Mmmmm…. it’s a scorcher here today, so I’ll definitely be giving this a shot!

4. Julia says:

I make my own fraps all the time with a similar recipe to yours. I find that they are a bit more like the real thing if you add a pinch of xanthan gum to keep them from separating.

I was formerly addicted to mocha lite frappucinos, and while they’re only 130 cals in a grande they are WAY to high in sugar so I’ve really been enjoying making my own with stevia.

1. Ooh thanks, Julia. I’ll have to try your xantham idea!

5. Nichole says:

mmmm i love coffee! I definitely don’t need it, but it gives me something to look forward to during my morning classes. It’s great that you did this swap because Starbucks frappuccinos are my FAVORITE (specifically, light java chip). I’ll definitely need to try this.

6. YA!! I love them!! so smart to make a CCK version!! new header btw?? LOVe it! so cute!

7. I am a coffee addict–I want it every day, all day, in an IV so that I get a constant supply. lol Not a big fan of frappucinos, though. I see it as fake coffee. It also has to do with the price. I can’t see shelling out 4-5 dollars for one drink. I will definitely try yours, though. 3 dollars for 8 servings? Sounds good to me!

8. Lisa says:

mmmm good idea! I go through almond milk like crazy at my house…might as well add another recipe! haha and I do love starbucks- cinnamon dolce latte is my favorite, but your right, its almost 5 dollars! Im a broke college student, i dont have that money to blow! although…I do anyway 😉

9. Arin says:

Not trying to discourage anyone from making their own frozen drinks, but I was told at my local Starbucks that the Frappuccino “Light” is made with a stevia sweetened base. Starbucks doesn’t seem to be pushing the Light drinks, but the calories for the Light drinks are pretty low (under 150 for the tall Java Chip light).

1. Abby says:

I was told that too, but its not all stevia. Its a stevia base that also has cane sugar and other flavorings. And the nutrition facts still list it as 23 grams of sugar. I don’t know how they were able to do that with stevia sweetened! I guess they subbed for just half the sugar? Still too much sugar for me, for something I’d eat in about 5 minutes!

10. Amber K says:

I actually hate the taste of coffee, even if tons of flavorings have been dumped in all I can taste is coffee. Blech! But I have to share this because a lot of people I know are totally coffee obsessed!

11. Abby says:

I am trying this FOR SURE!!!! Former frapp lover here! I gave up my one a day habit because all the sugar was making me feel crappy. But I never gave up my love for the taste! For the past few months, I’vve been settling for plain iced coffee, but now I am soooooo excited to have a frappuccino again! You are so awesome!!!!

12. Christina says:

for those times when you are in a bind with only a Starbucks and no vitamin in sight, a soy coffee frappucino lite(the lite syrup is made with stevia) can be quite nice 🙂 can’t wait to try your version!

13. Leanna says:

As a person who works in a coffee shop and was also working on trimming her figure, I learned how to make some of my favorite drinks in healthier ways. You could blend up this drink immediately without having to freeze it if you combine 12oz of ice with 4oz of coffee and 4oz of your favorite milk – more milk to be creamier, and more coffee to be more coffee-flavored. Add in stevia, use flavored milk, dark chocolate pieces, bananas, or find another variety of low-sugar flavor, and blend! You may want to use less ice to decrease the overall iciness of the drink. (And I bet that would taste even better with your suggested pinch of salt and vanilla extract!)

1. Ooh that sounds wonderful! 🙂

2. Karen says:

I also work at a coffee shop and am trying to de-sugarize… In advance you could make and freeze your coffee into cubes. Into the blender- coffee cubes, milk, a banana (or half) (it smooths out the mixture and keeps it from separating) (it adds sweet too) (if you need more ice – freeze banana sections), add flavours, etc. Blend and enjoy. As far as Starbucks frappuccinos go: Ask for your frappuccino to be blended with one less pump of blending base (the sugar stuff that smooths out the mixture) and/or less pumps (or scoops) of flavour. We’re always messing with the recipes 🙂

14. Gen says:

I really loove coffee!!! We don’t even have Starbucks here, so this recipe is awesome! 😀

1. LOL I didn’t know there was such a place that doesn’t have Starbucks! There’s one on every corner, even in China and The Philippines!

1. Tanya says:

We don’t have a Starbucks either 😉

15. Kaycee says:

omgosh yay! i love this post because whenever i go to starbucks i get a light mocha frap- it’s my fav! i am definitely trying this out whenever i get a craving :DD

16. Lauren says:

Thank you so much for sharing such a healthy and EASY recipe! I can’t wait to get home and try it! 🙂

17. Lilly says:

oh yumm, how amazing would this be with full fat coconut milk – so creamy 🙂

18. Sarah C says:

Just put the base into the freezer. I wish I had an INSTA freezer!

19. I love Fraps, but the sugar content is what turns me away from them every time! These look awesome!