Two-Bite Brownies

Nom.

bb4

Nom Nom.

Nom Nom Nom.

Have you ever tried a two-bite brownie?

I’d not heard of such a thing until after I became a vegan. And honestly? I’d rather eat a big ole brownie than a baby one. But I know a lot of y’all like mini desserts. These will be right up your alley!

bb5

They’re like hotter (literally!) siblings of the famous Fudge Babies.

Fudge Munchkins

(makes 14-18 brownie bites)

• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup ww pastry flour (or white or spelt)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sweetener (see link, below, for lower-sugar version)
  • 1.5 oz mori-nu firm tofu (about 1/8 box)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (use only 1/4 cup if using 3tbsp oil)
  • 1 to 3 tbsp oil (Use the higher amount for richer brownies. I use coconut oil. Canola is ok too.)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: you can throw in some chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients, and mix very well. In a blender, combine wet ingredients and blend until smooth. (I use a Magic Bullet cup.) Pour wet over dry and stir, then pour into a 4×6 oiled pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8) for regular brownies, or mini muffin tins for brownie bites. Cook for 12-18 minutes at 325F. I’m not sure why this is the case, but these brownies seem to taste ten times sweeter if you don’t eat them for at least an hour after they come out of the oven!

Click for lower-sugar version, as well as Calorie Information.

Notes: If you’re expecting these brownies to taste like brownies from a boxed mix, you’ll need to use dutch cocoa processed with alkali as your cocoa powder. Also, you can use agave or maple syrup as your sweetener. Reduce applesauce to 1/4 cup, but be aware that your brownies will be a bit denser.

bb6

Fudge Daddies

My personal favorite: If you want extreme fudgey brownies—as in “so gooey you need a fork to eat them”—cook the batter in a 4×6 pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8) for only 10 minutes. Then put the pan in the fridge to cool for at least a few hours. When I make these brownies for myself, I never bother with bites. I want big brownies! (I use my Angry Munchkin variation.)

Question of the Day:

What do you think of the mini dessert trend?

Do you like mini desserts? Or would you rather have giant ones? It seems restaurants are going both ways. On the one hand, you have places like Starbucks and P.F. Changs now offering mini treats. But then restaurants like Cheesecake Factory have desserts as big as my head!

I like giant desserts better, like my Frozen Hot Chocolate.

🙂

Tags: , , ,

1. I love mini- desserts! Really cute… these included! I think I’m going to make them in 1.5 inch cookie cups (but without oil; we ran out!) with some chocolate custard filling in the centre.
    But small won’t really make a difference… I’ll just eat more haha 😀
    Thanks for the recipe! 😀 Will let you know how it turns out…

2. I like mini desserts because it helps with my willpower!

3. Lisa Fine says:

If I’m out at a restaurant or bakery, I’m all for mini desserts [partly because I like to try a few]. 🙂

But at home, the dessert size doesn’t matter. If they’re small, I’ll eat a few, cause I can’t just have one. I love baked goods too much.

Vanilla ice cream tomorrow, perhaps?

1. Barefootcookingirl says:

Oh, these look just YUM! And have I missed the ice cream post yet? 🙂

4. Leashieloo says:

I love two-bites! Things in miniature just taste better. Not sure why, the cuteness factor maybe?

5. kate says:

I loveee two bite brownies but the ingredients list not so much these sound AMAZING!!!

6. Freya says:

Oh Katie. You’re killing my Mac with all your recipes; I keep bookmarking the ones I need to make (ie everything) and my Mac can hardly cope anymore!
    They look amazing 🙂

7. I like mini desserts because sometimes I need the portion-control, lol!

8. Jill K says:

I like little desserts, but then sometimes I end up eating more than what I would if I just ate one big one!

9. LOVE!! ive been waiting for this one! mini dessert trend? its good as long as i get the whole batch 😉

1. Haha. You’re right Carrie!
      These could also be renamed “MY Batch of Brownies” 😀

10. Emily says:

Mini desserts are cute… But I’d rather have something larger for my large sweet tooth!

11. Gen says:

Yum!!! I think mini desserts are super cute….but I always end up eating a TON of them b/c they’re so little! 😛

12. krickit6 says:

So.. the bummer is that my job was cut to part-time, so I only work MWF now.. the happy part, I just discovered, is that I’m home so I can make your recipe as soon as I see it! 🙂 I have brownies in the oven right now, YUM! Cant wait, brownies with (for?) lunch!! Wahoo! 🙂

13. I love brownie bites – they are so delicious! This looks like a great recipe!

14. I LOVE BROWNIES!!! Mmmm I would definitely make them in a pan too! Mini things are cute, but it just defeats the point for me cos I end up eating like all of them hehe 😉

15. Tricia says:

It definately depends on my mood. If i just ate like a huge meal, then i go for the minis but if it’s like for a snack or something, i want something huge 🙂

16. Karen Faivre says:

I am such a chocolate hound. Angry Munchkins here I come!

17. Michaela says:

thx for this recipe!
    I think mini desserts look really cute and they are fab for a buffet or when giving a party, but personally, when at a restaurant, I would go for a regular sized dessert any time 😉

18. Abby says:

OMG just made em! I know you said they taste better a few hours after eating them… but I can’t imagine how that’s possible! Best brownie recipe ever! Yes, even better than the box mix. Those always tasted a little “tinny” to me.

This is my new favorite recipe!

19. I guess mini desserts are good for portion control in restaurants, but I hope they are cheaper!

20. Angela says:

These look delicious. I’m glad that you choose to share with us the brownie recipe. I’ve been on a brownie baking mission lately and experimenting with all types of healthier brownie recipes. These are now on the list of the next ones to attempt. If only I had some tofu in my fridge right night.

1. Elisa says:

I’ve experimented with healthy brownie recipes too! And they were all awful until this one. It’s my new favorite. My little brother even likes them, which is saying something! Thanks Katie!