Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Two-Bite Brownies

Nom Nom.

Nom Nom Nom.

Have you ever tried a two-bite brownie?

I’d not heard of such a thing until after I became a vegan. And honestly? I’d rather eat a big ole brownie than a baby one. But I know a lot of y’all like mini desserts. These will be right up your alley!

They’re like hotter (literally!) siblings of the famous Fudge Babies.

Fudge Munchkins

(makes 14-18 brownie bites)

• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup ww pastry flour (or white or spelt)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sweetener (see link, below, for lower-sugar version)
  • 1.5 oz mori-nu firm tofu (about 1/8 box)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (use only 1/4 cup if using 3tbsp oil)
  • 1 to 3 tbsp oil (Use the higher amount for richer brownies. I use coconut oil. Canola is ok too.)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: you can throw in some chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients, and mix very well. In a blender, combine wet ingredients and blend until smooth. (I use a Magic Bullet cup.) Pour wet over dry and stir, then pour into a 4×6 oiled pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8) for regular brownies, or mini muffin tins for brownie bites. Cook for 12-18 minutes at 325F. I’m not sure why this is the case, but these brownies seem to taste ten times sweeter if you don’t eat them for at least an hour after they come out of the oven!

Click for lower-sugar version, as well as Calorie Information.

Notes: If you’re expecting these brownies to taste like brownies from a boxed mix, you’ll need to use dutch cocoa processed with alkali as your cocoa powder. Also, you can use agave or maple syrup as your sweetener. Reduce applesauce to 1/4 cup, but be aware that your brownies will be a bit denser.

Fudge Daddies

My personal favorite: If you want extreme fudgey brownies—as in “so gooey you need a fork to eat them”—cook the batter in a 4×6 pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8) for only 10 minutes. Then put the pan in the fridge to cool for at least a few hours. When I make these brownies for myself, I never bother with bites. I want big brownies! (I use my Angry Munchkin variation.)

Question of the Day:

What do you think of the mini dessert trend?

Do you like mini desserts? Or would you rather have giant ones? It seems restaurants are going both ways. On the one hand, you have places like Starbucks and P.F. Changs now offering mini treats. But then restaurants like Cheesecake Factory have desserts as big as my head!

I like giant desserts better, like my Frozen Hot Chocolate.

Tags: , , ,

1. I love mini- desserts! Really cute… these included! I think I’m going to make them in 1.5 inch cookie cups (but without oil; we ran out!) with some chocolate custard filling in the centre.
    But small won’t really make a difference… I’ll just eat more haha 😀
    Thanks for the recipe! 😀 Will let you know how it turns out…

2. Lenna says:

Well….mini desserts are cute and these brownies are definitely great looking, good job Katie! :) But I am much more inclined to eating a huge portion of dessert than snack on mini bites. So give me one giant brownie and I am happy :)

3. Lauren says:

Mmm these sound so good, especially since I’m eating fudgy oatmeal right now! I like mini desserts for a little treat during the day, but if I’m at a restaurant, I usually want the whole thing.

4. I like mini desserts because it helps with my willpower!

5. LOVE minis. Seriously, everything I make is minis.But I don’t eat just one. I eat a lot. For example, when I make fudge balls-I make em small. Like the size of my fingernail small.

6. Lisa Fine says:

If I’m out at a restaurant or bakery, I’m all for mini desserts [partly because I like to try a few]. :)

But at home, the dessert size doesn’t matter. If they’re small, I’ll eat a few, cause I can’t just have one. I love baked goods too much.

Vanilla ice cream tomorrow, perhaps?

1. Barefootcookingirl says:

Oh, these look just YUM! And have I missed the ice cream post yet? :)

7. I guess I would say that I like mini desserts. But only if I can eat like 6 of them. They’re just so cute! These brownies look delicious as well.

8. These are cute!

I like mini desserts because usually that means you can get a bunch of different flavors of dessert — I mean, I love chocolate cake but I’d rather have a little choc cake, a little banana cream pie and a little creme brulee — know what I mean? So I guess I like to take mini desserts and make them into a big dessert :)

9. Leashieloo says:

I love two-bites! Things in miniature just taste better. Not sure why, the cuteness factor maybe?

10. kate says:

I loveee two bite brownies but the ingredients list not so much these sound AMAZING!!!

11. Freya says:

Oh Katie. You’re killing my Mac with all your recipes; I keep bookmarking the ones I need to make (ie everything) and my Mac can hardly cope anymore!
    They look amazing :)

12. I like mini desserts because sometimes I need the portion-control, lol!

13. I have a huge sweet tooth and I love the massive dessert idea, but in reality a mega-caloric sugar fix isn’t always appropriate. Plus as a single gal, sometimes a small portion is nice so I’m not eating the thing for days on end!

14. Jill K says:

I like little desserts, but then sometimes I end up eating more than what I would if I just ate one big one!

15. LOVE!! ive been waiting for this one! mini dessert trend? its good as long as i get the whole batch 😉

1. Haha. You’re right Carrie!
      These could also be renamed “MY Batch of Brownies” 😀

16. Serena says:

These look to-die-for delicious. :) I, too, love dark “angry” chocolate. What a funny way to describe it. 😉

17. O.C. says:

I like mini deserts because they look super cute and you can make cute little presentations and platters with them for parties. And also because they are super tiny I get to eat more of them or make a bunch minis in different flavors, like with your fudge babies, and get a variety :) yayy!

18. Emily says:

Mini desserts are cute… But I’d rather have something larger for my large sweet tooth!

19. Gen says:

Yum!!! I think mini desserts are super cute….but I always end up eating a TON of them b/c they’re so little! 😛

20. krickit6 says:

So.. the bummer is that my job was cut to part-time, so I only work MWF now.. the happy part, I just discovered, is that I’m home so I can make your recipe as soon as I see it! :-) I have brownies in the oven right now, YUM! Cant wait, brownies with (for?) lunch!! Wahoo! :-)

21. I do like mini desserts, but I think I justify eating lots of them because they are so small!!

22. I love brownie bites – they are so delicious! This looks like a great recipe!

23. I LOVE BROWNIES!!! Mmmm I would definitely make them in a pan too! Mini things are cute, but it just defeats the point for me cos I end up eating like all of them hehe 😉

24. Tricia says:

It definately depends on my mood. If i just ate like a huge meal, then i go for the minis but if it’s like for a snack or something, i want something huge :)

25. Karen Faivre says:

I am such a chocolate hound. Angry Munchkins here I come!

26. Michaela says:

thx for this recipe!
    I think mini desserts look really cute and they are fab for a buffet or when giving a party, but personally, when at a restaurant, I would go for a regular sized dessert any time 😉

27. These look yummy! I love mini desserts because you can sample a bunch of different recipes!

28. Abby says:

OMG just made em! I know you said they taste better a few hours after eating them… but I can’t imagine how that’s possible! Best brownie recipe ever! Yes, even better than the box mix. Those always tasted a little “tinny” to me.

This is my new favorite recipe!

29. I guess mini desserts are good for portion control in restaurants, but I hope they are cheaper!

30. Moni'sMeals says:

these lil guys will work for me! I will check out the recipe.
    I love the “mini” idea for treats. You only need a few bites to hit the spot!

31. LOVE THESE! They sound amazing! If I make them I will definitely be making the EXtra fudgy version! Love me some fudgy brownies!

32. Angela says:

These look delicious. I’m glad that you choose to share with us the brownie recipe. I’ve been on a brownie baking mission lately and experimenting with all types of healthier brownie recipes. These are now on the list of the next ones to attempt. If only I had some tofu in my fridge right night.

1. Elisa says:

I’ve experimented with healthy brownie recipes too! And they were all awful until this one. It’s my new favorite. My little brother even likes them, which is saying something! Thanks Katie!

33. I think the mini dessert trend is pretty smart – this way you can try more than one dessert without feeling guilty! Thanks for the note on using agave, that’s the route I’m going to take this time.

34. Leslie says:

Oooooh yummy! These look delicious!

35. Mini desserts are cool cause I don’t feel as guilty eating, like, five. But then I might as well have had a big dessert.

36. Oh I’m all about the mini-dessert trend. Pretty sure mini equals healthy right? As usual, your desert looks delicious.

1. Just like chocolate = healthy! 😉 😉

37. Emilia says:

These look so good! I absolutely cannot wait to try them, I’ll probably make them in a pan instead of mini-bites. I’m definitely not into the whole mini-dessert trend! Mini-desserts are just never as satisfying as deciding how much you want on your own. Though with the super-dark variation (which I will totally be making!), you’d probably only want a little piece :)

38. vogelstar says:

I love the name, but at first I thought it said Fudgekins :)
    I usually get put off when I see a huge food item but it realy does depend on what it is and how big. I think a huge brownie is safe territory

39. I love mini desserts. I just eat more of them :)

I always break my food into pieces and with mini’s, it’s already pre-broken so to speak. Or like with a banana, I always break it into segments, I never just bite into the whole thing, so with brownies, same principle.

Plus, I find I can actually get more frosting per square inch or bite. I can slather it on thick with every single bite. Priorities, of course :)

40. I think mini desserts are fun to look at, but not that fun to eat. I usually end up going way overboard with mini treats! I’d rather have a huge cookie than 5 smaller ones. I might have to make these brownies in a pan and see how they turn out! 😀

41. bitt of raw says:

YUM! with only a half cup a flour it could probably easily transfer to a gluten-free flour mix too. i might try that! i have brownie bite silicon molds that I’ve never even used for brownies before.

1. Oh my gosh, I’ve seen those molds. They’re so cute!

42. Allie says:

Pssht, I’m not a fan of the mini-dessert trend either. I want my dessert, and I want it full-size! That said, these still look delish!

43. Elisa says:

Hey Katie!
    I made these earlier today, and I had to sneak a taste even though you said not to until an hour or so after eating them. Then later, I came back and had some more, and YOU WERE RIGHT! They were so much sweeter. I couldn’t believe it!
    I have been looking for a good healthy brownie recipe everywhere and have tried a billion bad ones. Yours is awesome! So much better than ANY of the others I tried. I am so thankful that you share your culinary genius with the world!!! :)

44. Ragnhild says:

Yummy! These looks great! Love the idea of putting under cooked brownies in the fridge to get fudgy brownies. Fudginess is the best!

I think mini desserts are so cute, but I rather have the big ones myself 😛

45. Oh my these look amazing! Tofu again! I need to try a brownie recipe with tofu in it- maybe I will pluck up the courage this weekend!

46. Kate says:

I love mini-desserts. I just need the taste of something sweet at the end of the day. You always give me great dessert ideas, so I thought I’d share a simple summer salad idea (makes a great lunch or dinner). Forbidden rice with sweet potato, red pepper, and green onions. Enjoy!

47. Nathalie says:

I love BIG desserts, but that usually comes into play when I make my own desserts. For example, last night I had a whole “mini” bundt cake I made and added shredded carrot, kabocha and cauliflower (gave it great texture!!) to. With dark chocolate drizzle, of course, lol.

But I agree with other commenters; mini desserts are great for trying variety. When I got to the rotating sushi place, I often grab a couple of the desserts circulating because they’re wee little things. =D

48. Oh my, I need to make these! They look scrumptious! I love that they’re tiny, too!

49. These look awesome! I love two bite brownies, but I’m like you, I like my baked goods big!

50. Albizia says:

I don’t like the trend. I don’t like bite-sized cakes and individually packed biscuits. They are like appetizers – you eat one bite and then want to eat the whole batch/box… If I have a good old big brownie, I am much less likely to eat the whole thing :) .

51. Allison says:

OMG want!

52. Erika K says:

Making these as soon as I get me some Mori Nu in my life! They look to cute to pass up ;).

53. Roanne says:

You should consider opening a bakery,it would do well!

54. Serena says:

I adore mini desserts because I can eat more of them. Well thats my theory anyway :)

55. Just made these with Pure Pantry gluten-free flour and 1 T coconut oil and they are WONDERFUL! Best little brownies ever! Can’t wait to make these again and again!

1. Oh my gosh, Steph, you are my new best friend! I’m so excited you made them with gluten-free flour, because that’s like the #1 question people always ask about my recipes and I always feel bad if I don’t know. Now I can just point them all to your comment! :)

1. Glad to be of help! :-)

Also, I baked them in mini muffin tins for 18 minutes.

My husband is absolutely obsessed with these!

2. Cynthia says:

Thank you Thank you Thankyou!

Being GF, DF, EF, and Soy Free I have been w/o brownies for TWO YEARS! I’ve been on a mission to find some and I can’t wait to try these thanks to your posters who gluten free’d and soy free’d the recipe I’m on my way as soon as I finish homschooling for the day. YEEHAW!

3. Kimmy says:

Also tried these with cooked quinoa instead of quiona flour and it was delicious, thank you!!! Check it out:

4. Aw I loved your post… and the idea to use quinoa!

P.S. they taste even better the next DAY ;).

2. Deborah says:

Would almond flour or coconut flour be good to use for these brownies? If so, how much and do I need to add more liquid?

56. Even though I don’t live in Texas anymore, when it comes to fudge brownies BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER :-)

57. Aja says:

Yay mini desserts. I know what I’m taking to all those graduation parties this weekend!

58. Vegan Gal says:

Thanks for another great recipe, Katie! I love how so many of your recipes have ingredients that I happen to have on hand. I was so excited when I read the ingredients, and made these right away. They were SO yummy!!! I used coconut oil, of course, as a true CCK follower would ;). Love me some coconut. I’m making another batch tomorrow!

59. Mellie says:

I like mini food, it’s cute. When I turned 11 I had a “mini” birthday party with mini hotdogs, burgers, and cakes. I wish I’d had these cause they look great!

60. Lauren W says:

These look super chocolaty and are adorable as well! i cant wait to make these! 😀 Haha….I love that you only like the big brownies. Just think of it this way, if you only have the small ones, you can have more!

1. Haha that’s what my sister says! But who says you can’t have more with big ones too? 😉

61. love mini desserts!!! something about being able to eat a few 😉

love the name – munchkins too cute

62. Tara says:

I love the mini dessert trend! They are so adorable for one thing. Also because I prefer to have big portions of healthy desserts and little portions of unhealthy desserts. That way I satisfy my sweet tooth with a real dessert without the stomach ache!

63. VEGirl says:

I’ve never had a two-bite brownie either!

I hope vanilla ice cream is going up tomorrow! I bought some frozen strawberries already, so that when I make the ice cream I can make it STRAWBERRY ice cream. That was a total childhood fave of mine :)

1. It’s not going up tomorrow… but I don’t want your strawberries to go bad! I can email you the recipe if you want to make it in the next few days lol!

1. VEGirl says:

Oh that’s alright– they’re frozen, so they’ll keep a while :).

64. Brownies! nommy! I like the mini dessert trend because I can sample several at a time!

65. These look amazing! I would definitely not take two bites to finish these, though- way too delicious!

66. Jenna says:

These look so good, Katie. I’ve been craving brownies for a while now! 😀

67. These sound great! And I think the cakepan idea is the best; ooey gooey brownies (aka fudge) are so yummy!

68. Serena says:

By the way, do you have any suggestions for a healthy version of vegan cream cheese frosting (without using packaged vegan cream cheese from a store)? I love brownies topped with cream cheese frosting.

69. Hannah says:

I hate the word “nom”. And two bites does not do much for me. Can I make this in a 58 bite version?

70. It is good to make mini version of dessert. Can eat a lot yet thinking I ate little. LOL!

71. Those look fantastic! When it comes to brownies then I like the “bigger” portions. If it’s something that’s really rich with sugar and fat then I prefer a “mini portion.”
    Have you tried these with pumpkin. I stock up on cans of pumpkin from TJ’s cause it’s a seasonal item… so I’m thinking of making these with the pumpkin.

1. I haven’t… I’m sure you can sub that for the applesauce! :)

72. I like the mini dessert idea a lot. I think all restaurants should adapt to this style of portion control. The best part about it is that you can have a bunch of different flavors or kinds of desserts instead of just 1 large one. Maybe it’s just me, but I love to sample and share :-)

73. Frieda says:

Love the trend! It’s all about portion control ~ besides, they just look so darn cute!

I jumped onto the mini baked doughnut bandwagon and I love it!

74. Emily says:

Oh my cookies! I am obsessed OBSESSED with these brownies! Obsessed. I cannot stop eating them! Why oh why did you post this recipe?
    P.S. I went with the ultra fudgy version ;).

75. Charissa says:

Haha, I’m like you…give me a flipping, honking big brownie…but these look divine. I just know I wouldn’t stop at one. :)

76. Oh…my…gosh….. I REALLY need to eat these! If only I wasn’t on a dairy-free, soy-free diet right now (my heart is breaking… I’m serious). 😛

Hopefully I can play with the recipe a bit just to figure out a successful sub for the tofu… or wait patiently until the day my nutritionist gives me the green light to allow some soy back in my life.

Thanks for another outstanding recipe. You’re the best!

1. Hey Alison!
      Another commenter said she used banana. I can’t personally vouch for it, but you could always try… edible experiments are the best ;).

77. Kiersten says:

Since these are two-bite brownies, does that mean it’s okay to eat like five of them at a time? :)

1. No, for it to be ok you need to eat at least seven ;).

78. EmilyK says:

I love the mini dessert trend!! I like to ‘try’ sweets. I don’t have a huge sweet tooth so usually a bit does the trick. Usually I just have a bit of whatever other people are having but some people just don’t like sharing : )

79. Taylor says:

hey, katie. i’m about to make these for a party tomorrow…they look amazing!!! should i store them in the fridge until then or leave on the counter??

1. Either way is fine! I’ve stored mine on the counter before, loosely covered. (You don’t want to cover them completely, or they’ll get soggy.) I hope you like them!! :)

80. Beth says:

I didn’t have any silken tofu so I used a very ripe banana instead. They weren’t as dense as yours looked but they were still good. Not so brownie like, but more cupcake-like.

1. I really want to try banana… Banana Daddies? :)

81. Livia says:

Mmmm…these were DELICIOUS! My friend tried them and loved them, but her favorite flavor is coconut. I decided to surprise her and made these again to drop at her house, but I made them coconut-flavored! I replaced 25% of the ww pastry flour with coconut flour, which is AMAZING. I also used coconut oil as my fat, and coconut crystals as my sweetener, along with some coconut drops. I also ran out of applesauce, so ended up whipping up some homemade sauce with fuji apples! The coconut ones ended up tasting even better than the first time I made them!

1. Wow, that sounds INCREDIBLE! I want to try your coconut idea… genius! :)

82. Lauren says:

I LOVED these little brownies. I added Peanut Butter and loads of chocolate chips to the recipe, and everyone at my work LOVED them too! I cant wait to come up with different ways to recreate this recipe, and because they are so small I feel less guilty when I eat them.

Thanks for coming up with such an AWESOME recipe!

1. Awww I’m so excited you made them!

83. Jana says:

Is there a possibilitie to replace the tofu?

1. Hi Jana, in some of the above comments people have written in that they’ve tried other ideas such as applesauce or banana or avocado or omitting it… scroll through the other comments to see exactly how they replaced the tofu :).

84. These are warm from the oven at the moment, they are delicious but would be great with a sauce! We were actually thinking something creamy and lightly alcoholic would be delightful 😉

1. Mmmmm ooh yeah, like a rum sauce!

2. brittany says:

Isn’t tofu soy? Could I skip it?

85. Megan says:

I kind of made these yesterday (sounds ambiguous). I started out making your chocolate chip blondies, then decided I wanted to add cocoa powder to them. I made a mini-batch and put them in a muffin pan, so they basically turned out like your two-bite brownies! Regardless, they were delicious!

86. Erica says:

First, I love your blog! You have sooooo many delicious sounding recipes! I have tried a bunch so far and haven’t disliked one yet! :)

I used wheat flour with this recipe, and 1/4 cup plus 3T applesauce instead of using oil…I’m not sure if I did something wrong but I put them in the fridge and they came out like the consistency of cheesecake (which is fine by me because I think I like cheesecake even more than brownies, and the fact that it was chocolate cheesecake made it that much better! ) I will definitely be making these again! Thanks for all the great recipes! :)

1. Hmmm… I don’t think I’ve ever made them with just applesauce… maybe it had too much moisture? In any case, chocolate cheesecake DOES sound good! :)

87. nadine says:

hi katie, i’m new here and i’m amazed by your recipes at the moment. i run a healthy lifestyle blog and when i post chocolatey things that are healthy people go nuts! my last one, whole foods vita-top knock off chocolate muffins got over 1000 “notes” if you know what that is (when people like, reply, or reblog a post. i use tumblr.) and so i’m blogging these on there, along with some other recipes, and hopefully that will bring some new people to you! i’m linking you everywhere i can so that they know you’re genius recipes!
    thank you for running this blog, i hope it’s okay that i’m passing them through the internet!

1. Aww hi Nadine!!
      You are such a sweetheart! And yes haha people love chocolate. Me included!! 😉
      I’d be so honored if you post about my recipes. The only thing I ask is that you link to the actual recipe instead of copying/pasting the ingredients and directions onto your site. Feel free to use any photos you wish, though! :)

88. Jane says:

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids :)
    I also like the below brownie recipe.

Thanks for sharing,

89. Liz says:

Do you think this would work with extra firm tofu? Just wondering because that’s what I have at home right now…thanks!

90. Lane says:

I just finished eating two of these and they are delicious!! They are one of my favorite brownies! Thank you!! YUM!

91. Sarah says:

I made these last night for Cinco de Mayo at work on Friday except I added 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and a pinch or two of ground cloves to make them into “Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies”. They were UH-MAZE-ING. I doubled the recipe, and I used 3 Tbsp coconut oil and 3 Tbsp canola oil (hey coconut oil can be expensive!) and they came out perfectly fudgy. I’m still debating what I am going to top them with tonight.

I also don’t plan on telling anyone they are healthy and vegan. I want to get their reactions first. Lol!

1. Sarah says:

Update: These were a HIT! Gone in an hour! And no one believed me that they were vegan!

92. Molly Francis says:

Hey! is there a big differneece between using Xyliotol as a sweetener vs Ethyritol? Whats your view on ethyritol?

93. Anonymous says:

giant desserts all the way! mini desserts just dissapear too quickly

94. Keshia says:

Hi there!

If you do not have gluten free flour, what else can be used? Almond flour, oat flour, buckwheat flour? Would it be a 1:1 ratio

Recipes are awesome, btw!

95. Lena says:

Wow. Seriously. These brownies are AMAZING. I made one batch yesterday and it ran out in about half an hour. And I made a double batch again today. They’re so fudgey, I love it! Even though I baked them for 20 minutes, they were still reeeeally gooey, so I let them cool and then refrigerated them, and after that they were perfect. I used 1 tsp of stevia + 1/3 cup of brown sugar, plus a tiny bit of agave syrup because the batter was a bit dry and also I wasn’t sure it was sweet enough. Oh, and I added chocolate chips, which really took them over the top. Pretty sure this is becoming a staple at my household!

96. Courtney says:

Oh and for the sugar part (for my doubled recipe) I did 1/3 sucanat, 1/3 xylitol, and 1/3 honey. Just got sucanat yesterday so I could try your gingerbread cookie things and have a feeling I’ll be using it in all my baked goods :).

97. Courtney says:

Oops, above comment meant for a different recipe!

98. Yvonne says:

Those are not Two-Bite Brownies. Two-Bite Brownies are made by Give N Go prepared foods and the name Two-Bite is branded. You can not use the name for your brownies.

1. CCK lover says:

Why do you care? It’s not like she is going to go out and sell them! In my opinion, these are perfect because I love two bite brownies. I’ll eat 10, please!

99. Alice says:

Always GIANT desserts!!!! 😉
    I sometimes even dream about giant bowls of cokie dough or a whole salad bowl full of mac’n cheese (I know it’s not a dessert, but still….) I just like the feeling that I can eat a mouthfull (like to take big bites) and still have A LOT more left in the dish 😀

100. Lynne says:

I like the mini dessert trend. My professional focus is on healthy eating and with Diabetes out of control in adults and children, the ‘big as the head’ type of dessert is killing us. Mini desserts allow people to still enjoy a sweet ending but without the overwhelming health hazard.

101. Patty says:

I have a recipe for two bite brownies that I thought was from your site, but now I can’t find it here. I’m super confused. I tried it and loved it, though!