Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Two-Bite Brownies

Nom.

bb4

Nom Nom.

Nom Nom Nom.

Have you ever tried a two-bite brownie?

I’d not heard of such a thing until after I became a vegan. And honestly? I’d rather eat a big ole brownie than a baby one. But I know a lot of y’all like mini desserts. These will be right up your alley!

bb5

They’re like hotter (literally!) siblings of the famous Fudge Babies.

Fudge Munchkins

(makes 14-18 brownie bites)

• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup ww pastry flour (or white or spelt)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sweetener (see link, below, for lower-sugar version)
  • 1.5 oz mori-nu firm tofu (about 1/8 box)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (use only 1/4 cup if using 3tbsp oil)
  • 1 to 3 tbsp oil (Use the higher amount for richer brownies. I use coconut oil. Canola is ok too.)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: you can throw in some chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients, and mix very well. In a blender, combine wet ingredients and blend until smooth. (I use a Magic Bullet cup.) Pour wet over dry and stir, then pour into a 4×6 oiled pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8) for regular brownies, or mini muffin tins for brownie bites. Cook for 12-18 minutes at 325F. I’m not sure why this is the case, but these brownies seem to taste ten times sweeter if you don’t eat them for at least an hour after they come out of the oven!

Click for lower-sugar version, as well as Calorie Information.

Notes: If you’re expecting these brownies to taste like brownies from a boxed mix, you’ll need to use dutch cocoa processed with alkali as your cocoa powder. Also, you can use agave or maple syrup as your sweetener. Reduce applesauce to 1/4 cup, but be aware that your brownies will be a bit denser.

bb6

Fudge Daddies

My personal favorite: If you want extreme fudgey brownies—as in “so gooey you need a fork to eat them”—cook the batter in a 4×6 pan (or double the recipe and use an 8×8) for only 10 minutes. Then put the pan in the fridge to cool for at least a few hours. When I make these brownies for myself, I never bother with bites. I want big brownies! (I use my Angry Munchkin variation.)

Question of the Day:

What do you think of the mini dessert trend?

Do you like mini desserts? Or would you rather have giant ones? It seems restaurants are going both ways. On the one hand, you have places like Starbucks and P.F. Changs now offering mini treats. But then restaurants like Cheesecake Factory have desserts as big as my head!

I like giant desserts better, like my Frozen Hot Chocolate.

1. I love mini- desserts! Really cute… these included! I think I’m going to make them in 1.5 inch cookie cups (but without oil; we ran out!) with some chocolate custard filling in the centre.
    But small won’t really make a difference… I’ll just eat more haha 😀
    Thanks for the recipe! 😀 Will let you know how it turns out…

2. Lenna says:

Well….mini desserts are cute and these brownies are definitely great looking, good job Katie! :) But I am much more inclined to eating a huge portion of dessert than snack on mini bites. So give me one giant brownie and I am happy :)

3. Lauren says:

Mmm these sound so good, especially since I’m eating fudgy oatmeal right now! I like mini desserts for a little treat during the day, but if I’m at a restaurant, I usually want the whole thing.

4. I like mini desserts because it helps with my willpower!

5. LOVE minis. Seriously, everything I make is minis.But I don’t eat just one. I eat a lot. For example, when I make fudge balls-I make em small. Like the size of my fingernail small.

6. Lisa Fine says:

If I’m out at a restaurant or bakery, I’m all for mini desserts [partly because I like to try a few]. :)

But at home, the dessert size doesn’t matter. If they’re small, I’ll eat a few, cause I can’t just have one. I love baked goods too much.

Vanilla ice cream tomorrow, perhaps?

1. Barefootcookingirl says:

Oh, these look just YUM! And have I missed the ice cream post yet? :)

7. I guess I would say that I like mini desserts. But only if I can eat like 6 of them. They’re just so cute! These brownies look delicious as well.

8. These are cute!

I like mini desserts because usually that means you can get a bunch of different flavors of dessert — I mean, I love chocolate cake but I’d rather have a little choc cake, a little banana cream pie and a little creme brulee — know what I mean? So I guess I like to take mini desserts and make them into a big dessert :)

9. Leashieloo says:

I love two-bites! Things in miniature just taste better. Not sure why, the cuteness factor maybe?

10. kate says:

I loveee two bite brownies but the ingredients list not so much these sound AMAZING!!!

11. Freya says:

Oh Katie. You’re killing my Mac with all your recipes; I keep bookmarking the ones I need to make (ie everything) and my Mac can hardly cope anymore!
    They look amazing :)

12. I like mini desserts because sometimes I need the portion-control, lol!

13. I have a huge sweet tooth and I love the massive dessert idea, but in reality a mega-caloric sugar fix isn’t always appropriate. Plus as a single gal, sometimes a small portion is nice so I’m not eating the thing for days on end!

14. Jill K says:

I like little desserts, but then sometimes I end up eating more than what I would if I just ate one big one!

15. LOVE!! ive been waiting for this one! mini dessert trend? its good as long as i get the whole batch 😉

1. Haha. You’re right Carrie!
      These could also be renamed “MY Batch of Brownies” 😀

16. Serena says:

These look to-die-for delicious. :) I, too, love dark “angry” chocolate. What a funny way to describe it. 😉

17. O.C. says:

I like mini deserts because they look super cute and you can make cute little presentations and platters with them for parties. And also because they are super tiny I get to eat more of them or make a bunch minis in different flavors, like with your fudge babies, and get a variety :) yayy!

18. Emily says:

Mini desserts are cute… But I’d rather have something larger for my large sweet tooth!

19. Gen says:

Yum!!! I think mini desserts are super cute….but I always end up eating a TON of them b/c they’re so little! 😛

20. krickit6 says:

So.. the bummer is that my job was cut to part-time, so I only work MWF now.. the happy part, I just discovered, is that I’m home so I can make your recipe as soon as I see it! :-) I have brownies in the oven right now, YUM! Cant wait, brownies with (for?) lunch!! Wahoo! :-)

21. I do like mini desserts, but I think I justify eating lots of them because they are so small!!

22. I love brownie bites – they are so delicious! This looks like a great recipe!

23. I LOVE BROWNIES!!! Mmmm I would definitely make them in a pan too! Mini things are cute, but it just defeats the point for me cos I end up eating like all of them hehe 😉

24. Tricia says:

It definately depends on my mood. If i just ate like a huge meal, then i go for the minis but if it’s like for a snack or something, i want something huge :)

25. Karen Faivre says:

I am such a chocolate hound. Angry Munchkins here I come!

26. Michaela says:

thx for this recipe!
    I think mini desserts look really cute and they are fab for a buffet or when giving a party, but personally, when at a restaurant, I would go for a regular sized dessert any time 😉

27. These look yummy! I love mini desserts because you can sample a bunch of different recipes!

28. Abby says:

OMG just made em! I know you said they taste better a few hours after eating them… but I can’t imagine how that’s possible! Best brownie recipe ever! Yes, even better than the box mix. Those always tasted a little “tinny” to me.

This is my new favorite recipe!

29. I guess mini desserts are good for portion control in restaurants, but I hope they are cheaper!

30. Moni'sMeals says:

these lil guys will work for me! I will check out the recipe.
    I love the “mini” idea for treats. You only need a few bites to hit the spot!

31. LOVE THESE! They sound amazing! If I make them I will definitely be making the EXtra fudgy version! Love me some fudgy brownies!

32. Angela says:

These look delicious. I’m glad that you choose to share with us the brownie recipe. I’ve been on a brownie baking mission lately and experimenting with all types of healthier brownie recipes. These are now on the list of the next ones to attempt. If only I had some tofu in my fridge right night.

1. Elisa says:

I’ve experimented with healthy brownie recipes too! And they were all awful until this one. It’s my new favorite. My little brother even likes them, which is saying something! Thanks Katie!

33. I think the mini dessert trend is pretty smart – this way you can try more than one dessert without feeling guilty! Thanks for the note on using agave, that’s the route I’m going to take this time.

34. Leslie says:

Oooooh yummy! These look delicious!

35. Mini desserts are cool cause I don’t feel as guilty eating, like, five. But then I might as well have had a big dessert.

36. Oh I’m all about the mini-dessert trend. Pretty sure mini equals healthy right? As usual, your desert looks delicious.

1. Just like chocolate = healthy! 😉 😉

37. Emilia says:

These look so good! I absolutely cannot wait to try them, I’ll probably make them in a pan instead of mini-bites. I’m definitely not into the whole mini-dessert trend! Mini-desserts are just never as satisfying as deciding how much you want on your own. Though with the super-dark variation (which I will totally be making!), you’d probably only want a little piece :)

38. vogelstar says:

I love the name, but at first I thought it said Fudgekins :)
    I usually get put off when I see a huge food item but it realy does depend on what it is and how big. I think a huge brownie is safe territory

39. I love mini desserts. I just eat more of them :)

I always break my food into pieces and with mini’s, it’s already pre-broken so to speak. Or like with a banana, I always break it into segments, I never just bite into the whole thing, so with brownies, same principle.

Plus, I find I can actually get more frosting per square inch or bite. I can slather it on thick with every single bite. Priorities, of course :)

40. I think mini desserts are fun to look at, but not that fun to eat. I usually end up going way overboard with mini treats! I’d rather have a huge cookie than 5 smaller ones. I might have to make these brownies in a pan and see how they turn out! 😀

41. bitt of raw says:

YUM! with only a half cup a flour it could probably easily transfer to a gluten-free flour mix too. i might try that! i have brownie bite silicon molds that I’ve never even used for brownies before.

1. Oh my gosh, I’ve seen those molds. They’re so cute!

42. Allie says:

Pssht, I’m not a fan of the mini-dessert trend either. I want my dessert, and I want it full-size! That said, these still look delish!

43. Elisa says:

Hey Katie!
    I made these earlier today, and I had to sneak a taste even though you said not to until an hour or so after eating them. Then later, I came back and had some more, and YOU WERE RIGHT! They were so much sweeter. I couldn’t believe it!
    I have been looking for a good healthy brownie recipe everywhere and have tried a billion bad ones. Yours is awesome! So much better than ANY of the others I tried. I am so thankful that you share your culinary genius with the world!!! :)

44. Ragnhild says:

Yummy! These looks great! Love the idea of putting under cooked brownies in the fridge to get fudgy brownies. Fudginess is the best!

I think mini desserts are so cute, but I rather have the big ones myself 😛

45. Oh my these look amazing! Tofu again! I need to try a brownie recipe with tofu in it- maybe I will pluck up the courage this weekend!

46. Kate says:

I love mini-desserts. I just need the taste of something sweet at the end of the day. You always give me great dessert ideas, so I thought I’d share a simple summer salad idea (makes a great lunch or dinner). Forbidden rice with sweet potato, red pepper, and green onions. Enjoy!

47. Nathalie says:

I love BIG desserts, but that usually comes into play when I make my own desserts. For example, last night I had a whole “mini” bundt cake I made and added shredded carrot, kabocha and cauliflower (gave it great texture!!) to. With dark chocolate drizzle, of course, lol.

But I agree with other commenters; mini desserts are great for trying variety. When I got to the rotating sushi place, I often grab a couple of the desserts circulating because they’re wee little things. =D

48. Oh my, I need to make these! They look scrumptious! I love that they’re tiny, too!

49. These look awesome! I love two bite brownies, but I’m like you, I like my baked goods big!

50. Albizia says:

I don’t like the trend. I don’t like bite-sized cakes and individually packed biscuits. They are like appetizers – you eat one bite and then want to eat the whole batch/box… If I have a good old big brownie, I am much less likely to eat the whole thing :) .