Foodie Christmas Gifts!

christmasmorning1

Holiday Shopping

If you’re anything like me, you have a really hard time getting gifts for everyone on your list. My family and friends can easily go buy what they want for themselves. Therefore, I try to make my gifts meaningful, attaching the presents to a memory or shared experience. I hope my family and friends look at their gifts—years down the road—and say, “Oh yeah, I remember when Katie gave that to me.”

Below are some gift ideas for the foodie in your life, starting with the obvious: food!

cookies4

Such as homemade Chocolate-Chip Cookies.

Almost everyone appreciates homemade baked goods. And if you have a friend who follows a special diet or has allergies, the gift will be even more meaningful to them. (Just be sure to research, so you don’t accidentally do something like give a Celiac a present made with spelt flour.)

Bonus points for buying a cute plate or bowl to store your homemade gift:

fe

Speaking of dishes, the ones below could seriously make a case for cutest dishware ever:

penguin bowl

Another good foodie gift:

vegan chocolate bars

Chocolate!!

Any chocolate. All chocolate. Truffles, bars, chips, candies… This wouldn’t be a chocolate-covered blog if I didn’t recommend giving out chocolate.

My sister is really good at thinking up meaningful gifts.

vegancupcakestakeovertheworld_thumb

Last year, she gave me a cookbook, with a certificate that said she’d be my personal chef, making me whatever recipe I chose from the cookbook.

In the end, she made me Banana Pancakes for One.

Question of the Day:

What’s on your holiday wish list this year?

I’d love a camera lens, but haven’t asked for one because I’m not sure which one to get! (Any recommendations?) Dishes are not on my wish list this year. I’m now following the same rule that I follow for clothing: I must give away two dishes (or articles of clothing) for every new one I buy.

1. Nothing on my Christmas list this year, for once. Odd huh? I just want to spend time with friends / family. That’s my favorite thing about the holidays anyway. Plus I love shopping for other people!

2. Dakota says:

This is the first year I’m not making an Xmas list for my mother. I’ve always done it, even [at her request] through my college career. This year, however, I’ve finally tempted her away from buying presents and TOWARD spending time together as a family instead. I get to make an Xmas feast for my family on the 25th– full with vegan tiramisu pancakes for breakfast and an array of hors d’oeuvres for dinner. YAY.

…although I am going to make a secret, selfish list (for myself only) just for the fun of it later this week. New running shoes and OneLuckyDuck products and a vitamix, and oh the possibilities…

3. I think it was Angela at Oh She Glows who had a great point about buying people foodie Christmas gifts – buy them things that are a bit pricey and they wouldn’t usually buy for themselves. My picks would be appliances, baking trays and even things like she mentioned – vanilla beans (SO pricey!) and saffron.

4. I LOVE going down the aisle at Whole Foods, searching for super fun chocolate/candy bars to put in gifts for Christmas. I usually take the ‘one for you, one for me’ approach… but you know… everybody wins. 🙂

5. Jessie P says:

I’ve definitely been inspired by all of your recipes to make some awesome dessert Christmas presents. I was thinking that it’d be an awesome idea to make different types of nut butters and put them in cute mason jars.

6. I just got my holiday present early, and it was the best gift in the world! I got a pistachio KitchenAid standing mixer!!
    I love giving food gifts to people. Especially cute thing like homemade vanilla sugar!

7. As a teacher, I receive a tremendous amount of homemade baked goods. I love to sample them, but then I take them to the work room to share. This year, one of my students made these chocolate cookies that taste just like brownie batter. They did not get shared. 🙂

Nothing on my Christmas list this year since we are taking a trip to Cancun (YAY!). However, I have a “running list” of things I would like to eventually own, and one of those things is a Vitamix. I will have one one of these days!

8. saskia says:

katie, you NEED to try these. inspired by your choc.chip blondies i created a chickpea choc.chip recipe that turned out AMAZING! you can look @ it right here: http://girlinasong.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/cookies-rather-than-wiww/

i would be honered if you tried them;)
    oh, btw, they are perfect gifts!

have a nice evening,
    saskia

1. saskia says:

sorry, i forgot the most important word: choc. chip COOKIES!!! haha;)

9. Meg says:

I plan on giving chocolate to those people on my list that I find impossible to buy for 😉

10. Kelly J. R. says:

I would love a Macbook Pro but I’m not holding my breath on that one!

11. Jennifer JCD says:

I forget what type of camera you have… so I’m not sure which lenses to recommend. Let me know and I’ll forward you some excellent review sites! Everyone needs a solid 50mm f/1.8 (or lower). And I am particularly fond of my Canon 24-105mm USM.

On MY Christmas list – a second battery for my very first DSLR (which was an early Christmas pressie from my husband <3 ) Otherwise, all I want for Christmas is meaningful and fun time with family and friends. And HP7 on BD would be a really nice bonus… 😉

For others, I give most people baked goods in pretty tins and bowls I buy from the local pottery guild. A few others get books or meaningful items – things they would like but may not buy for themselves. Christmas gift shopping this year was the easiest ever because we had great ideas for everyone!

1. As I told someone else, I’m right now getting used to a Canon… up until about a month ago, I was using an old Nikon my mom bought.

12. Those dishes are so much fun, I love all the bright colors!

13. I would love a new lens also down the road but its not something I will get for Christmas. I have a 35 mm f/2 and couldn’t be happier with it for food photos- very sharp and good in low lighting. What kind of lens do you currently use I have always been curious?

This year I’m doing all homemade gifts and I’m excited because I really think they are the most meaningful and they also save me lots of money.

1. Right now I have a Canon… up until about a month ago, I was using an old Nikon my mom bought. I bought the f/1.8 lens, so unless I’m taking people photos (where I use the kit lens), I usually use the 1.8. I feel like it has such a hard time focusing on things that are very small, though… but maybe that’s just my lack of camera skills! I am always confused as to whether there’s a huge difference between the 1.8 and 1.4… and why the 100mm macro is so much more than the 50mm. See? I know so little about cameras 😕
      What made you decide to get the lens you did? There are so many options… how do you know which to choose? lol

1. oops just saw your response here! I did a bunch of research and read about lots of food bloggers reviews on their own lenses. Lots of people (pioneer woman, katheats to name a couple) loved the 35mm so I decided to go for it. Plus in comparison to other prime lenses with a fairly wide aperture, it wasn’t too expensive! You said you use a 1.8, but what focal length is that, a 50mm?

1. It’s a 50mm. I’ll have to look into the 35mm… honestly, I’ll probably wait to buy another until I can take a photography lesson or workshop and find someone who knows about cameras and can recommend one specifically for me. I don’t want to spend a lot of money only to find out I would’ve been better off with a different lens :-?.

14. I have a ton of running gear on my wish list, but I sure wouldn’t mind some of that dark chocolate!

15. I’m really bad at thinking of meaningful gifts for people so the homemade, food, cookie thing is the route I’m going this year. Too bad I don’t have an ounce of crafty-ness in me though to make them look pretty!
    PS-hope the cache thing worked. You showed up in my reader this morning way sooner than you did yesterday so I hope that’s a good sign!

1. LOL did you see my tweet to you? You are my newest favorite person in the world and the SOLE reason I do not want to tear my hair out right now. I can’t thank you enough for all the time and trouble and stress you saved me.
      Even the guys who host my server couldn’t figure out how to help me, but you helped me instantly!!
      YOU ARE AWESOME!!

16. I have nothing on my chirstmas list, well I did until a couple days ago. I was wishing for a kindle but I got it for my birthday. So nothing here expect a good holiday.

17. Jen says:

Can you link to the actual website instead of another blog post that I have to navigate for the actual link? Cute gift idea anyway, it’s a good way to add something extra to a gift when it’s just cookies or a baked good.

1. I have a few links in this post… if you’re talking about the Fish’s Eddy link, I linked to my post because it described my experience at the store and why I love it so much, as opposed to just linking to a page that shows pictures of dishes. I’d rather know the history of a place and hear a personal story, so I figured others might wish to as well.

18. Giving from the heart is the best. Most people don’t even remember what they got for Christmas the year before- so heartfelt gifts are the best kind! 🙂
    But, I would love a new camera!

19. Katy says:

Oh no! You have created a monster, Katie. I’m moving into an apartment in January – my first real kitchen – with very few supplies. Until five minutes ago, the big items on my wish list were a new pot and a kitchen scale. But now? I’m pretty sure I *need* more dishes – vibrantly colored ones can’t hurt. And without those adorable storage containers, I might end up wasting food. We can’t have that …

1. LOL good luck… I just moved, and my previously-organized dishes are now a mess :-?.

20. Dalai Lina says:

I SO want a new juicer. So I can counteract all the chocolate, of course.