Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

What I ate for Christmas

santa paws

This is Gangnam style.

This is Batman style.

If you celebrate Christmas, I hope yours was as joyful and fun-filled as Batman’s. He spent the season barking his head off at the UPS man, basking in the extra attention lavished upon him, and chasing a toy train around and around and around our Christmas tree until he couldn’t run any more. Then he napped quite a bit.

My Christmas was also wonderful, but I feel like it’s been forever since my last post, and I’ve missed it!

We attended a bigger party a few days before, so the actual night before Christmas was just a quiet dinner at my parents’ house… on very classy snowman dishes.  I tried something new and it happily turned out magnificently: a lentil dish loaded with fresh vegetables and spices, perfect for a wintery night. (Recipe coming soon.)

Along with the lentils: roasted sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and cinnamon, steamed green beans, roasted pecans, and two slices of homemade cornbread. Since I’m the only vegetarian in the family, everyone else ate ham and gravy for their main course, but we shared the side dishes.

For the bread, I used this cornbread recipe.

It’s my favorite!

christmas dinner

Dessert was eaten later, while watching It’s a Wonderful Life. I had two of all the vegan options; I like even numbers!

vegan cookies

The cookies: Mexican wedding or snowball cookies, chocolate-chip cookie bars from a recipe going in my cookbook, and two Chocolate-Chip Brownie Cookies.

Christmas Day began with an early-morning run through absolutely beautiful 65-degree sunshiney weather… Oh wait. No, Christmas morning began at 2am with giant thunder clashes that shook the house, terrified Henry, and didn’t stop until noon. Then, the thunder and rain magically transformed into this:

snow in texas

texas snow  dallas snow

A white Christmas in Texas Smile.

We received about an inch of snow (our first snowfall of the season). Not enough to be a nuisance… just enough to look beautiful for Christmas.

Also looking beautiful on Christmas:

dear santa

Batman got a new sweater to keep him warm. It’s quite appropriate for him!

Link of the Day:

………..Pumpkin Frappuccinos

1. Joy @ Caspara says:

That last picture is so adorable!! Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!
    We haven’t had snow yet where I live, but it’s been raining and in the upper thirties/ low forties for days and days. Ah, the Pacific Northwest!

2. Everything looks great! Mexican wedding cookies are my FAVORITE :) And I can’t wait to see the recipe for those chocolate chip cookie bars in your cookbook! When are we getting an update on that? Like, publisher, publishing date, etc. So excited to hear more about it.

Happy Holidays!

1. I’m really hoping to have more info this coming January! :)

1. Boo says:

So excited to find out your book is available – crucial question though, will it be available as an e-book/kindle/available in the UK??!

3. I was so excited for white Christmas in Dallas. So unexpected but pretty! I am looking forward for the lentil soup recipe to keep me warm. I had a wonderful time with my boyfriend and I am glad that you had a great one too :) i like the idea of eating two of each dessert.

4. Hope you had a great Christmas Katie! Looked like you did. Great photos! Love, Moni xx

5. petrina says:

I think everyone got snow but us here in Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana. Oh well! Your pictures are beautiful! Your lentil dish looks yummy, can’t wait for the recipe! Lentils are one of my favorite foods.

6. Andie says:

Looks like you had an amazing Christmas! Your dogs are adorable, and remind me of the new shelter puppy our family just got as a Christmas present! Your photos are spectacular….can’t wait for the cookbook!!

7. Karen says:

SO…MUCH…CUTENESS, I can’t stand it!!! And yumminess – and a beautiful place…what’s not to adore??? 😀 Blessed Holidaze, sweetie!

8. i love that pic of the dogs! looks like you had a wonderful holiday !

9. That’s so great that you got a nice snow covering for Christmas! And I LOVE Mexican wedding cookies!

10. Julie says:

Wonderful! Love the doggie pictures.

Looking forward to the lentil dish recipe!

11. Julia says:

OMG! Cookie dough bars sound like heaven! That cookbook needs to come SERIOUSLY FAST!!! 😉 Like seriously I am DYING without it!! Especially the 100 calorie cinnamon rolls! Hurry lol! I’m soo excited I will pay anything for it! 😀

12. Michelle says:

Love your pictures and the food looks yummy!

13. Shay says:

Your dog is sooo adorable!!!!! :)
    Just out of curioustiy, have ever accidentially eaten something non vegan , Katie?
    Happy (early) new years!!!!

1. Yeah, a few times it’s happened. It’s no fun… but I’m vegan first and foremost for ethical reasons, so thankfully I’m not going to get sick (more than just a stomache ache from my body not being used to dairy for so long) from accidentally consuming an animal product.

14. Samantha says:

I NEED that sweater for Nim. Off to look for Doberman sizes. Curses. That would have been so appropriate this year.

I look forward to your lentils recipe. It looks like you had a peaceful holiday.

15. Rachel Alexandra says:

The snowball cookies look so delicious! do you have a recipe for them? :)

16. LOL I LOVE Batman’s sweater! 😀 So cute. I’m hoping to get a little puppy this year and I can’t wait to dress him up in cute little sweaters like that.

17. Laura says:

I was excited for the cookbook before, but those cookie bars have made me REALLY excited for it! Are the Mexican wedding cookies going in the cookbook as well?

1. Laura says:

If not, could you share the recipe? I know it’s not chocolate, but they look really good!

18. Kit-Kat says:

I’m glad you had a wonderful Christmas!!! Batman looks so cute in his new sweater!!

BTW: My family watches “It’s a Wonderful Life” every year before we go to Christmas Mass at midnight. It’s a tradition that we love to keep 😉

19. Sharla says:

Can’t wait for that lentil recipe! Yum! Happy New Year :)

20. I like odd numbers, so I’d have to find three desserts. 😉 love the puppy pic! So sweet.

21. Verenique B says:

you are making a cookbook???
    like to sell???

22. Anonymous says:

I don’t see the recipe for the snowballs. Did I miss it?

23. Your lentil dish look delicious, I can’t wait for the recipe! Your dinner looks just like what I have most nights, especially the sweet potatoes. Batman looks absolutely adorable, by the way!

24. Anonymous says:

25. Maya says:

Did you hear the story on veganism that was on NPR?

26. I love your recipes and the chocolate chip cookie bars look to die for!!! Happy Holidays!!

27. Kay says:

Yum! Can’t wait for your lentil dish recipe. It looks delicious! Batman looks so adorable in his Santa hat and his new sweater. Didn’t Henry get a sweater or hat?? He must be jealous! LOL! Have a Happy New Year! Can’t wait for a new year of great recipes.

28. Vicki says:

Food looks good and the snow looks wonderful, I miss snow! Your dogs are cute, the one with lots of white is absolutely adorable!! You told us what Batman got for Christmas, what did the other one get?

1. He doesn’t seem to get cold like Batman, so he didn’t get a sweater. Just a new bone to chew!

1. Vicki says:

My dog doesn’t like sweaters or bones. She’ll tug at a sweater the whole time it’s on, and won’t even look at a bone. She also only likes one toy, will NOT play with any of the others we’ve bought her. Picky eater too, I’ve finally given up and only give her meat from the deli etc. She’s a very hard to please dog!! But I love her SO much!!

29. Betty says:

Would love to make the cornbread but am allergic to apples. Any suggestions for what I can sub for applesauce?? I’m allergic to all fruits except bananas :(. Happy New Year!!!

1. Maya says:

I bet you could subbed mashed bananas! Or oil?

2. Rosalie says:

Are you alright with pumpkin purée? There’d be a slightly different flavor, but it’s another good oil substitute (which the applesauce is functioning as).

30. Shaina says:

Your vegetarian Christmas dinner looks SO good! I can’t wait for you to post the lentil recipe so I can try it out. I absolutely loveee lentils!

31. Looks like you had a great Christmas! How nice that it was “white”! We had several inches up here in NY :) I love having a white Christmas…

32. Hey Katie! I just wanted to send a quick thank you for your recipes. This Christmas, I made your pumpkin bars, which impressed my future mother-in-law (thank you!!!), and a batch of your banana doughnuts that my mom and I systematically nibble at so we don’t run out too soon! haha

You are such a blessing, and I pray that you continue to have a wonderful break with your family. From our family to yours, merry Christmas! :)

33. Nice!
    & what a cute puppy!

34. Eilish says:

We got five inches here! As glad you had a good Christmas. I missed your post but am glad your back!

35. kimthevegan says:

The snow looks kind of funny next to the pool and hot tub ;p
    I’m super looking forward to the lentil dish recipe =D
    Glad you had a nice holiday!

36. Bek @ Crave says:

Yummy! Naw, your dogs are adorable :) Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

37. I’m so jealous you had some snow on Christmas, I haven’t had that since I was a child living in England. Here in Australia it reached about 38C I think that’s nearly 100F, so these days Christmas is all about cooling down in the pool. Your vegan desserts looked fantastic as usual. Have a Happy New Year I can’t wait to read your 2013 blog posts.

38. Tami says:

This lentil dish looks wonderful! Can’t wait for the recipe 😉
    You must be close to me, we had the same snow for Christmas. I am in North Fort Worth.

Glad you had a nice Christmas.

39. Kelley says:

Katie, wanted to tell you that I made your peanut butter pie recipe with a gluten free pie crust for Christmas dinner dessert and it was a HUGE hit. Thank you!

40. Hannah says:

Are you posting the snowball cookie recipe? It’s my mother’s favorite kind of cookie, and I’d like to make it for her!

Merry Christmas!

41. Christina says:

What a wonderful Christmas dinner!!! On another note, when do you expect your cookbook to be out? I am so excited to buy one (or 3)!

1. Thank you!!

I hope to know more (and be able to post more) later this month.

42. Sherlock says:

Your food looked delicious! And the light dusting of snow was gorgeous.

43. I was THRILLED when it snowed in Texas. The whole backyard was covered in the white stuff. Such a rarity. Really hoping for snow on Monday, heard it’s supposed to be rainy. Fingers Crossed!

44. Mandy cheshire says:

Another request for the lentil recipe! Are you able to share it?

45. Jennifer says:

OMG! Your dogs are sooooo cute! I have a Chi named Paco :)
    I also have 2 other dogs and 2 cats!
    I love your blog and your pics!!!! Awesome place you have here!

46. Erika says:

What a fantastic Christmas weather result! And amazing-sounding Christmas meal. Thanks for the reminder–I’ve been wanting to try your cornbread for so long! And I recently got spelt flour, so I will be trying your brownie cookies soon!

47. Cazz says:

Oh I can’t stop looking at the first picture of Batman. My little spike looks exactly like that. In fact I would swear that was him.

So adorable