What I ate for Christmas

santa paws

This is Gangnam style.

This is Batman style.

If you celebrate Christmas, I hope yours was as joyful and fun-filled as Batman’s. He spent the season barking his head off at the UPS man, basking in the extra attention lavished upon him, and chasing a toy train around and around and around our Christmas tree until he couldn’t run any more. Then he napped quite a bit.

My Christmas was also wonderful, but I feel like it’s been forever since my last post, and I’ve missed it!

cmas

We attended a bigger party a few days before, so the actual night before Christmas was just a quiet dinner at my parents’ house… on very classy snowman dishes.  I tried something new and it happily turned out magnificently: a lentil dish loaded with fresh vegetables and spices, perfect for a wintery night. (Recipe coming soon.)

Along with the lentils: roasted sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and cinnamon, steamed green beans, roasted pecans, and two slices of homemade cornbread. Since I’m the only vegetarian in the family, everyone else ate ham and gravy for their main course, but we shared the side dishes.

For the bread, I used this cornbread recipe.

It’s my favorite!

christmas dinner

Dessert was eaten later, while watching It’s a Wonderful Life. I had two of all the vegan options; I like even numbers!

vegan cookies

The cookies: Mexican wedding or snowball cookies, chocolate-chip cookie bars from a recipe going in my cookbook, and two Chocolate-Chip Brownie Cookies.

Christmas Day began with an early-morning run through absolutely beautiful 65-degree sunshiney weather… Oh wait. No, Christmas morning began at 2am with giant thunder clashes that shook the house, terrified Henry, and didn’t stop until noon. Then, the thunder and rain magically transformed into this:

snow in texas

texas snow  dallas snow

A white Christmas in Texas Smile.

We received about an inch of snow (our first snowfall of the season). Not enough to be a nuisance… just enough to look beautiful for Christmas.

Also looking beautiful on Christmas:

dear santa

Batman got a new sweater to keep him warm. It’s quite appropriate for him!

Link of the Day:

brighter
………..Pumpkin Frappuccinos

1. Joy @ Caspara says:

That last picture is so adorable!! Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas!
    We haven’t had snow yet where I live, but it’s been raining and in the upper thirties/ low forties for days and days. Ah, the Pacific Northwest!

2. Everything looks great! Mexican wedding cookies are my FAVORITE :) And I can’t wait to see the recipe for those chocolate chip cookie bars in your cookbook! When are we getting an update on that? Like, publisher, publishing date, etc. So excited to hear more about it.

Happy Holidays!

1. I’m really hoping to have more info this coming January! :)

1. Boo says:

So excited to find out your book is available – crucial question though, will it be available as an e-book/kindle/available in the UK??!

3. I was so excited for white Christmas in Dallas. So unexpected but pretty! I am looking forward for the lentil soup recipe to keep me warm. I had a wonderful time with my boyfriend and I am glad that you had a great one too :) i like the idea of eating two of each dessert.

4. Hope you had a great Christmas Katie! Looked like you did. Great photos! Love, Moni xx

5. petrina says:

I think everyone got snow but us here in Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana. Oh well! Your pictures are beautiful! Your lentil dish looks yummy, can’t wait for the recipe! Lentils are one of my favorite foods.

6. Andie says:

Looks like you had an amazing Christmas! Your dogs are adorable, and remind me of the new shelter puppy our family just got as a Christmas present! Your photos are spectacular….can’t wait for the cookbook!!

7. Karen says:

SO…MUCH…CUTENESS, I can’t stand it!!! And yumminess – and a beautiful place…what’s not to adore??? 😀 Blessed Holidaze, sweetie!

8. i love that pic of the dogs! looks like you had a wonderful holiday !

9. That’s so great that you got a nice snow covering for Christmas! And I LOVE Mexican wedding cookies!

10. Julie says:

Wonderful! Love the doggie pictures.

Looking forward to the lentil dish recipe!

11. Julia says:

OMG! Cookie dough bars sound like heaven! That cookbook needs to come SERIOUSLY FAST!!! 😉 Like seriously I am DYING without it!! Especially the 100 calorie cinnamon rolls! Hurry lol! I’m soo excited I will pay anything for it! 😀

12. Michelle says:

Love your pictures and the food looks yummy!

13. Shay says:

Your dog is sooo adorable!!!!! :)
    Just out of curioustiy, have ever accidentially eaten something non vegan , Katie?
    Happy (early) new years!!!!

1. Yeah, a few times it’s happened. It’s no fun… but I’m vegan first and foremost for ethical reasons, so thankfully I’m not going to get sick (more than just a stomache ache from my body not being used to dairy for so long) from accidentally consuming an animal product.

14. Samantha says:

I NEED that sweater for Nim. Off to look for Doberman sizes. Curses. That would have been so appropriate this year.

I look forward to your lentils recipe. It looks like you had a peaceful holiday.

15. Rachel Alexandra says:

The snowball cookies look so delicious! do you have a recipe for them? :)

16. LOL I LOVE Batman’s sweater! 😀 So cute. I’m hoping to get a little puppy this year and I can’t wait to dress him up in cute little sweaters like that.

17. Laura says:

I was excited for the cookbook before, but those cookie bars have made me REALLY excited for it! Are the Mexican wedding cookies going in the cookbook as well?

1. Laura says:

If not, could you share the recipe? I know it’s not chocolate, but they look really good!

18. Sharla says:

Can’t wait for that lentil recipe! Yum! Happy New Year :)

19. Kit-Kat says:

I’m glad you had a wonderful Christmas!!! Batman looks so cute in his new sweater!!

BTW: My family watches “It’s a Wonderful Life” every year before we go to Christmas Mass at midnight. It’s a tradition that we love to keep 😉

20. Anonymous says:

I don’t see the recipe for the snowballs. Did I miss it?