Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

My attempt at a fashion post

Fashionable Foods

Certain edible entities are so much easier to photograph than others. Strawberries, whipped cream, and pancakes all fall into the first category, whilst oatmeal and chocolate brownies definitely go into the second.

One of my favorite photos ever is the Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes.

They were just so photogenic! Today’s breakfast, however,  features a subject I’ve had trouble photographing in the past. It’s the fashion reject of foods, but this doesn’t make it any less yummy:

My breakfast this morning: Banana Bread in a Bowl.

Or rather, banana bread in a mug.

What’s better than banana bread in a bowl? How about banana bread in a giant blue mug that only cost $3? I never, ever pay more than $20 for a dish. (I usually won’t pay more than $10.) I’d rather save my money up for coconut butter… or chocolate bars. Mmmmmmmm chocolate bars.

It’s also difficult for me to justify splurging on clothing, although I try to remind myself that sometimes a shirt from a store like j.crew is a better investment than something cheaper because it holds up longer.

urban outfitters

Fashionable? What’s that?

It’s an effort to be fashionable now that I stay home for my new job.

The thought of lounging in my pajamas all day is very enticing. Since my dog is my only co-worker, no one would care. (Well, maybe Henry cares; but he wears the same thing every day, so he’s in no position to judge.) Can’t say I don’t sometimes give in to temptation… it’s not uncommon, these days, to find me wearing slippers at 1pm, without so much as a brush through my hair!

Luckily, I have friends who drag me out of the house. Yesterday, we went shopping and I discovered some cute (not-so-expensive) items at Urban Outfitters. That offbeat store is awesome; one time I actually purchased a shirt that says, “Bite Me, I’m Vegan.” Here’s what I came home with this time:

vegan clothes

Comfy flannel.

Love flannel!!!

Love love love!

P.S. It is ridiculous how much blue and green I have in my closet.

After shopping, we came home and made cookies:

Surprisingly good-for-you Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites .

My friend couldn’t get over the fact that they are healthy cookies. I had to remind her that even healthy cookies aren’t healthy anymore if you eat ten!  Sadly, she didn’t heed my advice, and she ate all the extra cookies… so after she left, do you know what I did? I made more cookies. Peanut butter cookies.

Flourless peanut butter cookies.

Flourless peanut butter cookies that taste like cookie dough.

I’ll post the recipe tomorrow.

Don’t you wish it was tomorrow?

Questions of the Day:

Would you consider yourself “fashionable”?
And are there ever days where you’re still in your pjs after noon?

Every now and then, I try to look fashionable. But normally, my “fashions” consist of clothes that are comfortable, like yoga pants, fleece, and flip-flops. And pjs after noon? Definitely yes!

If you can’t wait for tomorrow: try a Peanut Butter Cookie for One!

1. I LOVE THE GREEN TOP!!! That will look SO gorgeous on you!! Haha I am not that fashionable! I spent most of my time in sweaty workout clothes! 😛 And today I was in my PJs till noon!! 😀

2. Tricia says:

Haha, I try to be fashionable at the beginning of school, but by like the second week, it all goes back to sweatshirts, jeans, and t-shirts 🙂
    Oh well, rather be comfy than fashionably uncomfortable.

3. I think I dress fairly well. My obsession with Gossip Girl and Blair Waldorf has helped with that 😉 I dress so differently than I did before I watched that show. And I LOVE flannel!! I like it really oversized. It’s funny–my grandma actually gave me one of her old flannel shirts and I wear it all the time. Every time I wear it, at least one person compliments me on it!

4. tweal says:

I definitely consider myself fashionable! As a fashion designer, it would be pretty tragic if I didn’t.

Although, working from home means I don’t always *look* fashionable. Looking and being are definitely 2 different things!

I work from home, and I often stay in my comfy clothes all day. Who needs pinchy waistbands and underwires and itchy seams when I can wear yoga pants and a tank top? Much better.

And as much as I love shoes, it is so much more comfortable to work from home barefoot than outside the home in high heels.

Totally craving those little cookie bites now!

5. Jennifer says:

Peanut butter cookies!?!?! Katie, you are such a tease. I do wish it was tomorrow!!!

And, fashionable? My mother always tells me that you just feel better if you get dressed. She so pounded this into me when I was young that I almost always get at some level “dressed” in the morning–even when I am working from home. Whether this “dressed” is something that I would necessarily want other people to see me in is another story…. Hmm…does that count as “dressed” then?

1. My mom says the same thing! She says you should look good for YOU. I guess it’s true… I do feel more energetic when I’m wearing nice clothes and makeup. But maybe that’s because it’s harder to lay down and take a nap when you’re in uncomfy clothes ;).

1. Jennifer says:

I seriously think that our moms went to the same “mom school” 🙂

6. Minerva says:

Ha, I alwasy struggle to look put together. I just got a haircut over the weekend and I’m already slacking on styling it in the morning. It’s just so much easier to bun and go…especially when my priorities are usually centered around preparing the workday’s lunch…

7. I work from home too! it’s pretty awesome at times. I usually stay yucky all day, gym in the afternoon, then get all showered and pretty by the time my boyfriend comes home. I think I’ve got him tricked 😉

8. I am FAR from’s sad really 🙂 Your food still looks yummy and your pictures are still stunning!

9. Nichole says:

ahha, i do consider myself fashionable, but it usually involves wearing absurd clothing and bright colors. i tend to buy the cheapest clothes i can find (that i like) and they seem to hold up pretty well. i also sometimes wear pajamas all day. not so much anymore, but i definitely used to on the weekends when i was younger. can’t wait for those peanut butter cookies..

10. Oh gosh I try to be somewhat fashionable but I fail!!! On Sundays I stay in my pajamas or sweaty workout clothes most of the day while I run errands and clean/do chores… Its probably gross, but it works and it feels sooo good once I finally shower later in the afternoon!

11. Julene says:

Definitely wish it was tomorrow. Peanut butter for me is what chocolate is for you!

12. Jess says:

those are nice shirts… i’m waiting for some in the mail. i wish i was more fashionable, but stuff is so expensive! i’m trying out a few diy clothes and accessories, hopefully by winter break. i’m really into retro girly, romantic, and princess fashion.

13. Barb says:

I wish it was tomorrow!! I can’t wait for this recipe! Way to keep us in suspense, and I LOVE the new clothes! They look so cute on you!

14. OMG- I am soooo NOT fashionable. If there’s ever a day when I can stay at home all morning I totally wear my pajamas (and hope no one stops by for a suprise visit). 🙂 And yes, I wish it was tomorrow because I want that peanut butter recipe! 🙂 I also wanted to thank you for my new addiction to coconut butter. 🙂 My empty wallet wants to thank you too! He he! Love your new shirts!

1. MY empty wallet hates me for introducing it to coconut butter ;).

15. Nope! I’m not fashionable AT ALL! I stick to T-shirt and pants as soon as I’m out of my school uniform. My mum thinks I’m weird because she used to dress me up really well when I was a kid. But I don’t care! … Yet. 😀

16. CookiePie says:

Ha! I am definitely not fashionable, though I admire people who are! But I love the recipes you posted today — I may need to have some of that banana bread in a bowl tomorrow 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

17. What a cute mug! I can never justify spending money on clothes until mine are falling apart. $60 for jeans?!?! You’re right, coconut butter and chocolate are far better investments. I don’t have to dress up for school, but boy do I wish I could stay in my PJs all day. As it is the jeans come off the second I get home.

A peanut butter recipe?? I want it nowwww!

1. $60 for jeans? Try $200! That’s what some of my friends pay. Yikes!

18. Ashley says:

I actually work from home too! I have spent days in my pjs and well, shopping for “work attire” has never been more comfortable! I’m running low on flannel pjs at the moment, but thank goodness it’s almost fall!

I would love to consider myself fashionable, but I don’t think I’ve ever truly found a sense of “style”. I’m in love with ballet flats and dresses, and would love to find a good pair of jeans (they just never seem to fit right!).

By the way, those ice cream sandwich pancakes look amazing– and so do those cookies! I have friends coming to visit today, so I think I’m going to make them. The cookies, that is! 🙂

19. Michaela says:

I am sooooooo excited for your recipe!!! It comes in handy, as I have only tried Averie´s recipe last night, which tasted fabulous, but didn´t work out with the texture thanks to the flax egg. So, can´t wait to give your recipe a shot!!
    I would certainly never describe myself fashionable, bc I never follow a trend and well, comparing to some REAl fashionitas I know, I just have my one kinda style (skirts, ruffles, flowers, very girly, but comfy ;)). When I am staying at home, I still get dressed, as I will not do anything otherwise due to a lack of motivation that comes with me staying in pj´s 😉

20. Gen says:

I definitely don’t think that I could be classified as “fashionable”. I usually wear comfy clothes…..not necessarily cute ones!