Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My attempt at a fashion post

Fashionable Foods

Certain edible entities are so much easier to photograph than others. Strawberries, whipped cream, and pancakes all fall into the first category, whilst oatmeal and chocolate brownies definitely go into the second.

One of my favorite photos ever is the Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes.

They were just so photogenic! Today’s breakfast, however,  features a subject I’ve had trouble photographing in the past. It’s the fashion reject of foods, but this doesn’t make it any less yummy:

My breakfast this morning: Banana Bread in a Bowl.

Or rather, banana bread in a mug.

What’s better than banana bread in a bowl? How about banana bread in a giant blue mug that only cost $3? I never, ever pay more than $20 for a dish. (I usually won’t pay more than $10.) I’d rather save my money up for coconut butter… or chocolate bars. Mmmmmmmm chocolate bars.

It’s also difficult for me to justify splurging on clothing, although I try to remind myself that sometimes a shirt from a store like j.crew is a better investment than something cheaper because it holds up longer.

urban outfitters

Fashionable? What’s that?

It’s an effort to be fashionable now that I stay home for my new job.

The thought of lounging in my pajamas all day is very enticing. Since my dog is my only co-worker, no one would care. (Well, maybe Henry cares; but he wears the same thing every day, so he’s in no position to judge.) Can’t say I don’t sometimes give in to temptation… it’s not uncommon, these days, to find me wearing slippers at 1pm, without so much as a brush through my hair!

Luckily, I have friends who drag me out of the house. Yesterday, we went shopping and I discovered some cute (not-so-expensive) items at Urban Outfitters. That offbeat store is awesome; one time I actually purchased a shirt that says, “Bite Me, I’m Vegan.” Here’s what I came home with this time:

vegan clothes

Comfy flannel.

Love flannel!!!

Love love love!

P.S. It is ridiculous how much blue and green I have in my closet.

After shopping, we came home and made cookies:

Surprisingly good-for-you Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites .

My friend couldn’t get over the fact that they are healthy cookies. I had to remind her that even healthy cookies aren’t healthy anymore if you eat ten!  Sadly, she didn’t heed my advice, and she ate all the extra cookies… so after she left, do you know what I did? I made more cookies. Peanut butter cookies.

Flourless peanut butter cookies.

Flourless peanut butter cookies that taste like cookie dough.

I’ll post the recipe tomorrow.

Don’t you wish it was tomorrow?

Questions of the Day:

Would you consider yourself “fashionable”?
And are there ever days where you’re still in your pjs after noon?

Every now and then, I try to look fashionable. But normally, my “fashions” consist of clothes that are comfortable, like yoga pants, fleece, and flip-flops. And pjs after noon? Definitely yes!

If you can’t wait for tomorrow: try a Peanut Butter Cookie for One!

1. Maya says:

Yes!!! I just got married and moved to Austin, and am still in the “job search” process. So, sometimes when my husband comes home for lunch (okay more than sometimes) I am in my PJs. And even later…In terms of fashionable…I was the girl known for only wearing sweatpants in college.

1. I have to admit, sometimes I wore my pajamas to class in college… but so did everyone else! :)

2. I LOVE THE GREEN TOP!!! That will look SO gorgeous on you!! Haha I am not that fashionable! I spent most of my time in sweaty workout clothes! 😛 And today I was in my PJs till noon!! 😀

3. Tricia says:

Haha, I try to be fashionable at the beginning of school, but by like the second week, it all goes back to sweatshirts, jeans, and t-shirts :)
    Oh well, rather be comfy than fashionably uncomfortable.

4. I think I dress fairly well. My obsession with Gossip Girl and Blair Waldorf has helped with that 😉 I dress so differently than I did before I watched that show. And I LOVE flannel!! I like it really oversized. It’s funny–my grandma actually gave me one of her old flannel shirts and I wear it all the time. Every time I wear it, at least one person compliments me on it!

5. tweal says:

I definitely consider myself fashionable! As a fashion designer, it would be pretty tragic if I didn’t.

Although, working from home means I don’t always *look* fashionable. Looking and being are definitely 2 different things!

I work from home, and I often stay in my comfy clothes all day. Who needs pinchy waistbands and underwires and itchy seams when I can wear yoga pants and a tank top? Much better.

And as much as I love shoes, it is so much more comfortable to work from home barefoot than outside the home in high heels.

Totally craving those little cookie bites now!

6. When I go to school, there’s usually one day a week where I put in extra effort into my clothing choices. But the other 4 days are dedicated to lululemon yoga pants + jackets + UGG boots. I’d rather be comfortable!

7. Bahahaha, fashionable?
    However, I loooove Urban Outfitters! I could spend my entire paycheck there…if I wasn’t such a frugal shopper.
    (I circle the store like a shark, look at all the prices, peruse the sales rack 5 times, and decide on one $7 shirt)

1. Oh we would be good friends in real life!

8. Jennifer says:

Peanut butter cookies!?!?! Katie, you are such a tease. I do wish it was tomorrow!!!

And, fashionable? My mother always tells me that you just feel better if you get dressed. She so pounded this into me when I was young that I almost always get at some level “dressed” in the morning–even when I am working from home. Whether this “dressed” is something that I would necessarily want other people to see me in is another story…. Hmm…does that count as “dressed” then?

1. My mom says the same thing! She says you should look good for YOU. I guess it’s true… I do feel more energetic when I’m wearing nice clothes and makeup. But maybe that’s because it’s harder to lay down and take a nap when you’re in uncomfy clothes ;).

1. Jennifer says:

I seriously think that our moms went to the same “mom school” :)

9. Minerva says:

Ha, I alwasy struggle to look put together. I just got a haircut over the weekend and I’m already slacking on styling it in the morning. It’s just so much easier to bun and go…especially when my priorities are usually centered around preparing the workday’s lunch…

10. I work from home too! it’s pretty awesome at times. I usually stay yucky all day, gym in the afternoon, then get all showered and pretty by the time my boyfriend comes home. I think I’ve got him tricked 😉

11. I am FAR from’s sad really :) Your food still looks yummy and your pictures are still stunning!

12. Nichole says:

ahha, i do consider myself fashionable, but it usually involves wearing absurd clothing and bright colors. i tend to buy the cheapest clothes i can find (that i like) and they seem to hold up pretty well. i also sometimes wear pajamas all day. not so much anymore, but i definitely used to on the weekends when i was younger. can’t wait for those peanut butter cookies..

13. Can’t wait for that recipe!!! Yum! Sounds AHMAZING!

14. Oh gosh I try to be somewhat fashionable but I fail!!! On Sundays I stay in my pajamas or sweaty workout clothes most of the day while I run errands and clean/do chores… Its probably gross, but it works and it feels sooo good once I finally shower later in the afternoon!

15. Julene says:

Definitely wish it was tomorrow. Peanut butter for me is what chocolate is for you!

16. Jess says:

those are nice shirts… i’m waiting for some in the mail. i wish i was more fashionable, but stuff is so expensive! i’m trying out a few diy clothes and accessories, hopefully by winter break. i’m really into retro girly, romantic, and princess fashion.

17. Even on the weekends I change clothes in the morning — if I stay in my pajamas I feel sleepy, so unless I’m going to spend the day napping on the couch I need to change!

I am so unfashionable. I go with solid colors almost always — pretty boring but that is ok with me!

18. Barb says:

I wish it was tomorrow!! I can’t wait for this recipe! Way to keep us in suspense, and I LOVE the new clothes! They look so cute on you!

19. OMG- I am soooo NOT fashionable. If there’s ever a day when I can stay at home all morning I totally wear my pajamas (and hope no one stops by for a suprise visit). :) And yes, I wish it was tomorrow because I want that peanut butter recipe! :) I also wanted to thank you for my new addiction to coconut butter. :) My empty wallet wants to thank you too! He he! Love your new shirts!

1. MY empty wallet hates me for introducing it to coconut butter ;).

20. Ok its official I want you to come bake for me, ok thanks glad we cleared that up! But I must wear regular clothes in order to feel productive, plus I might get fired lol! P.s. I love the green knit shirt u purchased, I may have to scoop one up. I adore flannel as well :)

1. I am so there… if you pay me in chocolate ;).

21. Nope! I’m not fashionable AT ALL! I stick to T-shirt and pants as soon as I’m out of my school uniform. My mum thinks I’m weird because she used to dress me up really well when I was a kid. But I don’t care! … Yet. 😀

22. CookiePie says:

Ha! I am definitely not fashionable, though I admire people who are! But I love the recipes you posted today — I may need to have some of that banana bread in a bowl tomorrow :) Thanks for sharing!

23. What a cute mug! I can never justify spending money on clothes until mine are falling apart. $60 for jeans?!?! You’re right, coconut butter and chocolate are far better investments. I don’t have to dress up for school, but boy do I wish I could stay in my PJs all day. As it is the jeans come off the second I get home.

A peanut butter recipe?? I want it nowwww!

1. $60 for jeans? Try $200! That’s what some of my friends pay. Yikes!

24. Ashley says:

I actually work from home too! I have spent days in my pjs and well, shopping for “work attire” has never been more comfortable! I’m running low on flannel pjs at the moment, but thank goodness it’s almost fall!

I would love to consider myself fashionable, but I don’t think I’ve ever truly found a sense of “style”. I’m in love with ballet flats and dresses, and would love to find a good pair of jeans (they just never seem to fit right!).

By the way, those ice cream sandwich pancakes look amazing– and so do those cookies! I have friends coming to visit today, so I think I’m going to make them. The cookies, that is! :)

25. Michaela says:

I am sooooooo excited for your recipe!!! It comes in handy, as I have only tried Averie´s recipe last night, which tasted fabulous, but didn´t work out with the texture thanks to the flax egg. So, can´t wait to give your recipe a shot!!
    I would certainly never describe myself fashionable, bc I never follow a trend and well, comparing to some REAl fashionitas I know, I just have my one kinda style (skirts, ruffles, flowers, very girly, but comfy ;)). When I am staying at home, I still get dressed, as I will not do anything otherwise due to a lack of motivation that comes with me staying in pj´s 😉

26. Can’t wait for the recipe!! And I love staying in my jammies till noon! I am still in them now haha :)

27. Gen says:

I definitely don’t think that I could be classified as “fashionable”. I usually wear comfy clothes…..not necessarily cute ones!

28. Kelly says:

I love your fashion picks here! A girl can never go wrong with blue and green! My closet is full of both those colors as well. But I definitely don’t consider myself fashionable and would stay in my nightgown all day if I could!

29. I’m still in my PJs right now and it’s 11:30. Not looking like getting dressed is going to happen before noon. Oops.

30. I also work from home, so while I could stay in my pajamas till noon, it wouldn’t be a good idea. I need to get up and get dressed to get in the work mindset. Granted my “getting dressed” is throwing on yoga pants and a tank, but it still makes me feel more awake and looks slightly more respectable when I take the dog out for a walk 😉

31. Jenny says:

Fortunately, I am considered the most fashionable amongst my friends… so yes, I suppose I do consider myself to be as well. :) I love putting together new, funky outfits on a whim! That said, though, I don’t wear anything uncomfortable. I think comfort and fashion can easily coexist, if you want them to.

I’m an early riser… and early to “get ready” for the day, too. If I stay in my PJs, I’m tempted to just not do anything or get the day started, so I always wash my face, brush my teeth, and change into actual clothes that I could wear out early in the day, haha.

Flourless peanut butter cookies… Well yes, NOW I do wish it were tomorrow!!

32. Girl I LOVE flannel! I just got a blue one for school ’cause lord knows I need some good flannel up here in New York. Mwahhh!

33. I really can’t wait for that recipe!

I’m waiting to start my new job at the moment so I’m definitely guily of lounging around in PJs! But hey, what’s wrong with that? :)

34. Aja says:

I wish I had internet access tomorrow!
    Love the shirt.

35. Gloria says:

I must find that vegan shirt at Urban Outfitters! My friends will now be even more embarassed by me… but they love it. Agreed on the flannel, too! Comfort is key.

Over the past few years I have been REALLY slack about my work outfits – jeans, boat shoes, polo. I’m an engineer, working in a professional office environment, but we’re really allowed to wear whatever we want so long as we don’t look like we’re ready for the beach or the bar. I resurrected all of my old professional wear from quality places like Banana Republic, Express, and J. Crew and now that I’m looking awesome everyday, I’m feeling awesome at work and being SO much more productive. Clothes are the best :)

1. Oh it was a few years ago… I don’t think they still sell it :(

36. Susan says:

Urban Outfitters is a fun place!

I rarely wear my pj’s til noon (I have a thing about being dressed during the day), but I don’t think I consider myself “fashionable”. I don’t have the budget to spend a lot on clothing, so my closet is pretty small and contains stuff that hopefully won’t ever be too out of style!

I love looking at what other people are wearing and admiring it. If I had the money and time (yeah, I think it take a lot of time to put together those trendy pieces – it doesn’t come naturally to me), I bet I’d be a fashion whore!

37. Val says:

I think your banana bread in a bowl photographs well. It makes me want one every time I see a picture of it!

38. Lilly says:

honestly, most days it’s workout gear or yoga pants… even to school, oops 😉 But when I do put on “real clothes” they are always comfy, being fashionable can totally be comfortable too… it’s the only way I roll! Gahhhh, counting down the hours until tomorrow 😀

1. Haha I’ve worn yoga pants to CHURCH! Hey, no one can tell they aren’t dress pants!

39. Amber K says:

Ha! I have never been, nor will ever be “fashionable.” I don’t understand why a t-shirt should ever cost more than $5-$10. I have never spent more than $30 on a pair of shoes. I just simply don’t understand the appeal of “fashion.” I guess I can appreciate it on others, but can’t justify the cost for myself.

And I definitely wish it were tomorrow, because I can’t wait for that recipe!

40. Amanda says:

I am SO not fashionable! I don’t even know where to begin. I’m a teacher so I have summers off. I do wear different workout clothes every day (cuz that would be gross if I didn’t) but I spend the rest of my days in basically the same comfy tee shirt and pair of jean shorts. I do change when I go anywhere besides the grocery store or library – usually into a less sloppy tee shirt and pair of shorts – but I’m pretty sure my neighbors think I have no job and can’t afford clothes!

That new green top is super cute. Can’t wait for the peanut butter cookie recipe!

41. I would say I try and be stylish and put together. I’ve always loved clothes and shoes and find it really fun to put outfits together! I used to work from home as well though and would rarely find myself getting ready until lunchtime or 3:00. Now I have a job that requires me to look fashionable so I like getting ready in the mornings!

And yes- I cannot wait for that recipe! YUM!

42. Megan says:

Your new clothes look so cute! Oh how I love flannel! I definitely go for comfy clothes when going to school- jeans, tee shirt, Toms, running shorts- but I do get dressed up cute for church and hanging out with friends. I consider myself fashionable when I try…even if I wear mostly Target versus high end clothes. I LOVE Anthropologie (way out of my price range!) and cannot wait to go to the new H&M! I try hard to not keep on PJs because I tend to be sleepier and less productive. By the way, your “banana bread in a bowl” picture makes it look very enticing and I am excited about peanut butter cookies!

1. Oh I saw the H&M thing… northpark, right? That’s where these clothes are from :).

43. Gro says:

Comfy trumps fashionable in my book. And there is nothing wrong with green and blue 😉

I look forward to tomorrow!

44. Your outfit is adorable! Where did you get your shorts? They’re so classy!

1. They are from j.crew. I normally don’t buy shorts there, because they don’t fit right… but these were so cute that I splurged to have them altered. One doesn’t come across green shorts every day!

45. Cassandra says:

I love Urban! I want that Bite Me, I’m Vegan shirt! I’m trying to get better with food pics…any good sites or books that you learned from? :)

1. I’ve never read any books. But I learn a LOT from stalking :).

46. VEGirl says:

Do I consider myself fashionable? Heck no! Every time I try to dress up, I often look like a dork or don’t feel like “me”. I try to stick with “pre-fashioned” clothing articles and when I dress up, stick in my realm of expertise.

I prefer to dress up food 😉

47. Elise says:

I am so unfashionable! I tend to stick to jeans and a top, though I do now have a couple of dresses (my younger tom-boy self would be horrified!). Me and my sister were talking about it the other day and she said I had to take her shopping if I get married because I’d probably skip the white dress and wear jeans! As for the PJ’s I’m so with you on that. I often don’t start work until 1pm so I usually don’t bother getting dressed, who wants to hang out in their work clothes all morning? Or change twice before lunch??

48. I love Urban, but I feel like I’m not cool enough to pull off the look. I stick to plain ol’ Gap type of clothes but even these are pricey! Luckily, living in a college town, our Goodwills stay stocked on name brands. Don’t judge!

49. LizAshlee says:

Geez..your little cookie bites look so cute and yummy! I suppose I can wait til tomorrow!!

I would much rather spend money on food than dishes, although I love cute, new dishes…..coconut butter…mmm:)

50. I was just discussing this last night with my friend! How I feel so much better about myself and ready to accomplish things if I get dressed in “real” clothes for the day. It’s too easy as a student to just not bother if you have 1 or 2 classes and are just coming home after… but I always try to make an effort.

1. oh and i LOVE flannel too! I usually go thrifting for flannel though because you can find awesome prints for insanely cheap… much cheaper than U.O. but then again what isn’t cheaper than urban?? haha. I love what you bought!

51. Anonymous says:

I like nice clothes,but must be in my style;) and sometimes for sport,great breakfast;)

52. Monisia says:

53. Marianne says:

If I could live in pajamas, I totally would. I don’t care if that makes me lazy – it also makes me comfortable :)

54. Ellen says:

I wish I were better at being lounge-y, but if I don’t get up, work out and shower and dress I’m a total grump…
    Looking forward to those cookies!

55. And are there ever days where you’re still in your pjs after noon? = if you ever become a mother, yes, you AND your child will both have MANY !!!!! days like this. So even after you think you’re too old for this, just become a mom. It happens all over again :)

Love Urban Outfitters. Live less than 6 blocks from them. I walk/run past it every day about 10 times a day.

And never paying more than $10 for a dish or a cooking item, amen!! I love thrift and vintage shops for this. Love the $1 antique bowls, plates, etc. I score there. I’ve posted about it…tons. I used to hate thrifting but now I embrace it and love the thrill of the hunt. Anything for cute bloggie dishes :)

56. I’m definitely not really fashionable. I know how to wear colors and all that..but I don’t ever wear “cute” stuff. My fashion’s usually workout clothes!

57. Ragnhild says:

You look adorable nomatter what you are wearing!!
    Over the past years I have started to buy more expensive, high quality clothers, rather that lots of cheap stuff! It makes me love my clothes more, and they last so much longer :)
    Cant wait for the PB cookies!

58. Fran M says:

I am not a fashionable person, I love flannel too. Wish I could wear pjs to work…but I have a feeling my boss would not like that idea. :)

Your oatmeal in a cup looks great. Try photographing your oatmeal from above the cup/bowl…with possibly a cloth napkin and spoon off to the side. Makes for an interesting shot.
    Just another perspective.

Flourless peanut butter cookies….Yum, I’ll be back tomorrow.

59. I think I’m fashionable, then I see someone else’s outfit and I get jealous! I love the crocheted top…so pretty!

60. wwhitney says:

I love the green shirt!! I want it. :) you are so cute.

61. Emilia says:

I am most definitely looking forward to that recipe tomorrow! I love peanut butter cookies but always have a hard time finding ones that are peanut butter-y enough. And I can understand why you would have a lot of green and blue in your wardrobe, they are obviously great colors for you :)

62. Katy says:

I work in healthcare, so most days I wear scrubs – it’s almost like wearing pajamas, they’re so comfy! But on my days off, I do get dressed and fix my hair and such – I just feel much more awake and ready to tackle the day than if I lounge around in my comfy jammies.

63. Jill says:

I’m a teacher, so most of the year, I have to be dressed up at least Mon-Fri and Sundays for church…until I get home, that is. As soon as I go home, I put on pajama pants and a t-shirt (for example, I got home 20 minutes ago and I have already changed into comfy clothers!) During the summertime, there are many days that I don’t get dressed till after lunch! There’s no shame in it! There’s plenty you can do around the house in pjs/comfy clothes!

1. You sound exactly like my mom! (Also a teacher… and also in her comfy clothes right now ;).)

64. Ahhhh I DO wish it was tomorrow!! How can you make us wait like this?! 😉

Fashion? Wait, what’s that? Unless that includes riding breeches + riding boots + chaps + a t-shirt, I have no idea 😉 Haha, I try to be a bit fashionable for school, but, um, that has worked so well the last two days. Maybe by the end of the week… But my fave clothes are DEFINITELY PJs. I would wear them to the moon and back if I could. (But wait! No one’s said I can’t. Look out, moon! Here I come 😉 )

Have a fabulous weekend, Kaite! 😀

<3 <3

65. kathleen says:

Ha. My husband gets a new pair of “work” shoes every christmas (slippers). He’s a professor. They work from home doing research most of the year. Seriously, it’s like he’s retired. Lol.

66. yayy fun! I love pairing flannel with a statement necklace. People don’t expect it, which I love.

67. Yep, I think I’m fashionable! I sure hope so a little BUT I can tell I’m loosing my ‘touch’ as I age and gravitate toward ‘safe’ clothes…. I need to live on the edge!!! —I am no good at photographing oatmeal or smoothies. They just looks sad! —-btw, I’ve never seen a bad photo on your blog!!!

1. Hahaha oh they definitely exist… mostly in the beginning stages of my blog. I have some reeeaally ugly salad/smoothie photos… and there’s even one I called Shrek Pudding. It was super-ugly lol ;).

68. Connie says:

i do the same thing! I have to remind myself that quality clothes win over quantity!

69. Sadie says:

When I go to school or the mall, I consider myself “fashionable”, but if I’m at home I am ALWAYS in my pajamas.

70. Lindsay says:

Today I reverted back to my PJs around 2:30, does that count? But yes, totally! And some days I love it, but others I just feel so lazy by the end of the day that it’s no good.

71. Tara says:

I absolutely adore the green top! I’m gonna get over to my urban outfitters to see if they have one… it’s too cute to miss!! I don’t feel very fashionable since I live in pajamas and running clothes while on summer break, but when school starts I’ll actually start putting together cute outfits again.

72. I would definitely NOT consider myself in fashion, I live in sweat pants and gym clothes – in fact If it were up to me I would wear my yoga pants every. single. day. when I’m not at work or school I have no problem lounging around in my PJ’s all day ;-D

73. Annie says:

I love this idea! And I love your Vera Bradley bag. You’re always in fashion in my book if you got VB on your shoulder. :)

1. Hehe does it still count if my bag is a two-year-old style? 😉

74. Robin says:

I don’t think “fashionable” is something set out in stone. I think everyone should wear whatever they feel good in, because it defines them. Personally, I would rather wear something completely opposite of what currently is “in fashion”, because it’s me, than wear something everyone else is wearing because it’s “fashionable”. So whether I am fashionable or not is for others to decide. Either way I don’t quite care, as I love what I wear.
    I love my lazy sundays once in a while. Every girl should have them.

1. LOVE this comment! You said it way better than I could have :).

75. Those are some cute finds! My wardrobe is also entirely made up of greens and blues. Love those colors!

Also, the cookie bites look absolutely delicious and super chewy. Yum!

76. Ashley C says:

yes those ice cream sandwich pancakes were absolutely photogenic and YUMMY looking!! i love fashion especially urban outfitters:) But if i dont have anywhere to be im not getting out of my pjs, they are just way too comfy!!

77. Kimberly says:

Healthy cookies? Yes, please! I can’t say I blame your friend…I think I would do the same 😉

I do not consider myself fashionable. I dress up for occasions, but not on the daily. I tend to roll with comfies as well. And pjs after noon…um, yes :) Plus, I am a college student so it is still acceptable for a few more years, right?!!

78. Lounge wear is fashionable. At least that’s what I tell myself 😛

I can’t wait to buy a pair of pajama jeans, but they’re still too expensive. (Fashionable lounge wear is also cheap lounge wear).

79. I want that recipe NOW! Girl, you look so cute! You can never have too much blue and green — I like those colors on you! They really bring out your eyes. :) Your absolutely gorgeous eyes!

80. Q says:

Following the link (info inconveniently not included in recipe for the sake of more clicks) to the calorie information, we find out that each cookie is 23 calories. Ten of these cookies = 230 calories. A 230 calorie dessert is not inappropriate! Your poor friend, and your poor brainwashed readers. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: YOU CAN EAT DESSERT. Real dessert. And still be healthy, still be vegan, and still look good.